• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Fandangox

I just downloaded and will be starting this tonight. Don't know much about the town building, but do I need friend codes to have that stuff go anywhere, or can I make it on my own?

No friend codes don't affect that, its street passes. You have to street pass people playing the game to get more villagers. You can also, once a day, update the game data through the save menu. You will get 3-4 villagers that way.

I'm loving (Chapter 1 & 3 class spoiler)
Pirate/Spell Fencer. Getting life steal on Double Damage is great, stealing 2k hp a hit :D

JLeack

Banned
I'm listening to Agnes right now during my 21st hour and I still want to tell her to stop talking. How do these voice actors get employment?

Velcro Fly

I'm only a couple hours in but these boss battles are fantastic.

Game is amazing. I have nothing else to say.

Even rebuilding the town is fun.

Gotchaye

I'm listening to Agnes right now during my 21st hour and I still want to tell her to stop talking. How do these voice actors get employment?

Huh, I thought the voice acting was mostly fine. Better than most other games, certainly. The only really annoying thing for me is how even with the talkie bits set to automatically advance you get awkward pauses at the end of each text box of dialogue.

Isotope

Let's say one of my friends has a powerful attack I want to hold on to unless I'm in a pinch. If they send out a new move, and I update my data, will I lose the previous move?

Velcro Fly

So does putting the game in sleep mode to rebuild my city count as play time or in my Activity Log? I want to take a break and grab something to eat but I want to see about knocking out some rebuilding while I do it.

JLeack

Banned
Huh, I thought the voice acting was mostly fine. Better than most other games, certainly. The only really annoying thing for me is how even with the talkie bits set to automatically advance you get awkward pauses at the end of each text box of dialogue.

You thought Agnes sounded like a normal person?

Good god. She's the most annoying voice I've ever heard.

suzu

Out of everyone so far, Agnes is the one that's the most grating to me. I just don't like the way the character speaks. lol

Gotchaye

You thought Agnes sounded like a normal person?

Good god. She's the most annoying voice I've ever heard.

The voice seems to suit what they're trying to do with the character, writing-wise. Tiz and Agnes are really bland protagonist types. Agnes was raised in a cloister with basically no experience interacting with people conversationally - we find out she basically had only one "friend" who she'd seen like three times in her life. She's a fucked-up individual, when you think about it.

Question about the hairpin sidequest
Did those little girls just kill each other? Holy crap.

Yes... I had the same reaction as you. I was not expecting
the sidequest to end like that... they seemed very young, and to die like that. Wow.

I don't like Agnes's voice, but it is good at effectively showing her personality which fits with her backstory.

This is how I feel. Well, mostly. Agnes can be a little bit grating when she talks, but it honestly fits her personality/backstory perfectly.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Also (chapter 3 sub quest)
Man that Salve Maker fight was rough. Anyone know if this class is any good?

If you use a lot of items. It has some decent support abilities from what I've seen. Shorten Ailment is pretty nice. I've only leveled it up to 7 though so not sure what else it gets.

Just finished (ch 3 subquest)
the swordmaster boss. That took awhile since I was playing cautious after I lost three of the four on the same turn when he did that counter move lol.

So does putting the game in sleep mode to rebuild my city count as play time or in my Activity Log? I want to take a break and grab something to eat but I want to see about knocking out some rebuilding while I do it.
It doesn't count against your play time. It will count against your average play session since you never quit the game though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Norende might even rebuild while the game is off and is based off the 3DS clock. SP is only gained in sleep for sure.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So, guys.... let's just say I'm the kind of person who believes if something is truly good, it is as good the second time around, if not better. Thus, I also believe spoiling myself means nothing, in fact it may be beneficial.

This isn't a story spoiler, really, but some good advice for having a good time on the long haul. I will leave it hidden for those who don't even want advice that tells them anything about the nature of what awaits them.
Let's just say that you should not worry about being over-leveled. Just don't worry about it. At all.

I'm not sure if this is really a spoiler but I'm going to tag it anyway.

Early Story Spoilers
I'm really, really, really confused as to how no one in the party realizes that Edea is the Grand Marshal's daughter until she tells them at the end of chapter two. Isn't this discussed during every single boss fight up until that point or are the other characters not supposed to be hearing that stuff?

Fandangox

I'm not sure if this is really a spoiler but I'm going to tag it anyway.

Story Spoilers
I'm really, really, really confused as to how no one in the party realizes that Edea is the Grand Marshal's daughter until she tells them at the end of chapter two. Isn't this discussed during every single boss fight up until that point or are the other characters not supposed to be hearing that stuff?

The bosses from that point that have those conversation with Edea are sidequest i.e optional. So you could technically reach the end of chapter two without those scenes ever happening.

I think it would have been a nice detail to change that cutscene depending on if you did the sidequests first or not.

The bosses from that point that have those conversation with Edea are sidequest i.e optional. So you could technically reach the end of chapter two without those scenes ever happening.

I think it would have been a nice detail to change that cutscene depending on if you did the sidequests first or not.
I thought that was the explanation but during the Victor/Victoria they say the she's his daughter and that he said it was alright to kill her, unless they were talking amongst themselves :/
Welp, Ringabel is officially a furry.... I have no regrets.
Don't feel bad, I did the same... to Rangabel I mean.

Wait, that still doesn't sound right...
this would imply the Ranger class is worth using
this is false
I totally disagree, my Ringabel Ranger with Angel Bow is straight up murdering everything.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I totally disagree, my Ringabel Ranger with Angel Bow is straight up murdering everything.
It's true, only Spell Fencer Edea with the Night Emperor and two-hand ability is coming close to him, but then he starts targeting enemy types with magic sword ability as well and there is no touching him, especially with the speed he has. I'm sure he gets outclassed later on but right now in this lvl30-40 range he's a beast.
A wolf beast.

I thought that was the explanation but during the Victor/Victoria they say the she's his daughter and that he said it was alright to kill her, unless they were talking amongst themselves :/

Don't feel bad, I did the same... to Rangabel I mean.

Wait, that still doesn't sound right...

that's the S rank bows working
besides I suspect even a thief would put out similar damage with its A rank, on top of better skills (the ranger's SUCK)

It's true, only Spell Fencer Edea with the Night Emperor and two-hand ability is coming close to him, but then he starts targeting enemy types with magic sword ability as well and there is no touching him, especially with the speed he has. I'm sure he gets outclassed later on but right now in this lvl30-40 range he's a beast.
A wolf beast.
Yes, my man! (or lady)
that's the S rank bows working
besides I suspect even a thief would put out similar damage with its A rank, on top of better skills (the ranger's SUCK)
We'll agree to disagree then. I really like the class targeting ability, it really keeps you on your toes sometimes to guess what class each creature falls under. Thief is awesome though, I'll definitely switch him back once I get to the point where grinding past level 9 is less painful.

This is how I feel. Well, mostly. Agnes can be a little bit grating when she talks, but it honestly fits her personality/backstory perfectly.

Yeah same here, it kind of goes back and forth on whether she sounds like the voice actor is trying too hard to sound timid to just the right amount of shyness in her voice, it makes sense from what i've seen of her backstory so far. It got on my nerve alot in the beginning since the other main characters sound fine to me, with Edea being my favorite.

I'm shocked people didn't change the voices to Japanese as soon as they got the chance like I did.

I actually like most of the english voices actually, Tiz, Edea, and Ringabelle sound good, Agnes and Airy are the only ones that can be grating from time to time.

demidar

Ranger with Angel's Bow is pretty good, but Valkyrie with Lu Bu's Spear is even better.

I've been liking the game so far, but ever since I reached chapter 3 I've been loving. The combat has opened up a lot, with auto-aspir allowing more aggressive spell-casting, enough defense to survive through multiple attacks, and 4 digit damage numbers. Can't wait to get these classes too.

Was just trudging through the keep, it was hilarious with a Sage's Staff.

The dungeon where you go look for the
water vestal
is giving me some serious Tales of Symphonia rumblings. Hopefully the trend continues.

Agnes and Ringabel's voice actors made me turn off the voice acting. Plus some of the townsfolk that have spoken lines. Terrible stuff.

Mothman91

Quick question: on the first side quest, how the hell do I keep track of it? It's not showing on the map, I gotta go somewhere in the middle of the night?? Any help?

Proven

Quick question: on the first side quest, how the hell do I keep track of it? It's not showing on the map, I gotta go somewhere in the middle of the night?? Any help?

Is there a Blue exclamation point on your world map? No? Go do some story stuff until it pops up again. Don't worry, you won't miss anything.

Beaten.

Top Bottom