• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Question: my profile card still shows Freelancer Level 1 Tiz. How do I update that? I'm very confused.

In battle, select summon friend, then select send. It'll pick whatever attack you do next and send that damage.

Busaiku

Holy crap, those dragons were crazy.
After 2 game overs, I just had everyone get Utsusemi, I had no idea how to do those otherwise.
But at least I finally got in the castle.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Game has excellent production values. Really enjoying it.

Sleep mode works as long as I just shut the lid while in game for the S points correct?

Speaking of sending attacks I finally got my thief archer to get the decently powerful special. I charged it up shot it at a water elemental and...

GUARD

Then I remembered I put water element on my special and never changed it. So now my friends will see a level 22-ish Tiz doing 0 damage with the sent attack lol

scarlet

I thought that was the explanation but during the Victor/Victoria they say the she's his daughter and that he said it was alright to kill her, unless they were talking amongst themselves :/

Don't feel bad, I did the same... to Rangabel I mean.

Wait, that still doesn't sound right...

I totally disagree, my Ringabel Ranger with Angel Bow is straight up murdering everything.

Ranger Ringabel is the best Ringabel so far (chapter 2). I beat the optional boss
DeRosa with the special and targeting

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, Chapter 3 comes around and suddenly you are kind of a little bitch to common beasts but only earning the same scraps per fight you were getting at the end of chapter two. A little less, actually.

macklelol

Wow, Chapter 3 comes around and suddenly you are kind of a little bitch to common beasts but only earning the same scraps per fight you were getting at the end of chapter two. A little less, actually.

It gets better in the next chapter. At least you get some great jobs in Chapter 3.

Yup! Say goodbye to auto-fights spamming brave x4 with the Angel Bow for quick, one round, wins!

neoism

I'm shocked people didn't change the voices to Japanese as soon as they got the chance like I did.

I haven't yet but I do want to listen for a bit. But I have it in English because really nothing happens in cut-scenes when they talk so I just usually close my eye the whole time, and listen :p

Dice

Yup! Say goodbye to auto-fights spamming brave x4 with the Angel Bow for quick, one round, wins!
il3DXHlCAr36y.gif

It's not the easiness I miss, it is the compensation for the effort. Why so stingy with the money? Enemy tiger things struck first, one knocked Agnes to 1hp, and then went again but Tiz knight protected her and got knocked down to 1hp as well (yes, my crazy defense guy). Some smart targeting from Ringabel killed the beasts, but that's a bit much for like 174g since I have to manually heal afterwards and everything, and it also only got like 17jp or something. Come oooon maaaaan...

il3DXHlCAr36y.gif

It's not the easiness I miss, it is the compensation for the effort. Why so stingy with the money? Enemy tiger things struck first, one knocked Agnes to 1hp, and then went again but Tiz knight protected her and got knocked down to 1hp as well (yes, my crazy defense guy). Some smart targeting from Ringabel killed the beasts, but that's a bit much for like 174g since I have to manually heal afterwards and everything, and it also only got like 17jp or something. Come oooon maaaaan...

the game's telling you Ranger sucks now, use Valkyrie instead :p

this is indisputable fact, because Einheria>Artemia

Sera O

Banned
Disgruntled with Chapter 5, spoilers ahead!

Reeally?

I guess I already wasn't thrilled with the "Do it again!" nature of some of the boss fights. I thought I'd killed the dragon wrong at first. Then, Chapter 5 happens, taking it to the next level. Do it again, in an alternate universe where steroids are in the water supply? The only boss I wiped twice in the first set of crystals was the deathball, and I'd taken that to mean I was leveling at a decent rate while turning XP off to grind jobs. In Chapter 5, difficulty is weird. Getting the wind crystal was trivial, but the random enemies destroy me. This game is amazing about getting out of the player's way when it comes to grinding, but I thought I'd already done that.

I like the new additions to Ringading's diary (the diary in general is really good). That last battle in Chapter 4 made me wince. His identity was not a surprise at all, but the in-battle lines were killing me. That tragic proposal, Edea's WTF, and the howl of agony. . . it was so painful and funny. He has taste, though. Tiz and Agnes are such non-entities that Edea's awesomeness is a constant welcome surprise.

Overall the game is really well done and I'm interested to see how the story goes. I was loving it
until this turn of events.
. The main conflict and the subquests are intriguing. I love the art direction, town designs, Edea, and Ringabel's pomp. After a break I'll get into it again. Hopefully there will be big payoff if I persevere.

Velcro Fly

Just beat
Heinkel the Knight
in what is still being shown on my save file as the intro. I went at him once and would have lost a long, slow fight. It was my fault for not healing my party beforehand and it put my healer behind. I was constantly healing and had no time to Default to bank up turns. I decided to go back to the Inn and fully heal and come back stronger. I got some inside info from Examine about weaknesses so that made the second fight easier.

This game is awesome. It's rare that games live up to the hype but a few hours in and this one is definitely doing that.

Is there any downside to rebuilding Norende as fast as I can? I can't really break the game by doing this right?

Speaking of sending attacks I finally got my thief archer to get the decently powerful special. I charged it up shot it at a water elemental and...

GUARD

Then I remembered I put water element on my special and never changed it. So now my friends will see a level 22-ish Tiz doing 0 damage with the sent attack lol

This kind of thing is why I set up the Special Attacks with everything except the element, and just tack them on if I know what's coming or if its the weakness of a bunch of things in the area

rpmurphy

I'm shocked people didn't change the voices to Japanese as soon as they got the chance like I did.
Yeah, that's what I did as well, no regrets (I'm always interested in the translation difference as well). Edea's angry grunt is just too good.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
(ch 3 subquest spoiler)
Ninja fight took forever since I completely forgot my whole team was comprised of Swordmasters :/ lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
this would imply the Ranger class is worth using
this is false

I leveled up Tiz (normally monk) to use Ranger abilities. I can assure you that having a naked monk with mad P.Atck perform a Multiple Burst move is a pleasure for the eye. I like the targeting move as well for singular enemies *shrugs*

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

il3DXHlCAr36y.gif

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Dice

the game's telling you Ranger sucks now, use Valkyrie instead :p
It's not that simple...

You need two of them, and also have to forget any shields go two-handed, then level up the job 5 times so its benefits are more in effect. Then you are sweeping crowds really well. Also I might have misread the gains before or something because they are good. With more money some crowds at night are dishing out 1000pg.

The only reason I didn't switch to Japanese voice, even as a guy who watches a LOT of anime, was that I started the game with a deep voice Tiz and when I tried the japanese track I got that higher pitched Tiz.

No thanks. This was an issue with certain anime for me as well, like DBZ and FMA.

Velcro Fly

I guess when random encounters are starting to destroy my party it's time to grind a little bit and spend my gold on some equipment.

Chapter 1:
So I guess those golems in the wind temple are just supposed to wreck everything that isn't defaulting? Jesus Christ I fought one that attacked first and it destroyed me. Bullshit spin attack hitting everyone for 150+ damage.

Also is there any way to zoom in on the map on the bottom screen? I feel dumb asking this but it's zoomed all the way out and it's annoying even on an XL

demidar

It's not that simple...

You need two of them, and also have to forget any shields go two-handed, then level up the job 5 times so its benefits are more in effect. Then you are sweeping crowds really well. Also I might have misread the gains before or something because they are good. With more money some crowds at night are dishing out 1000pg.

Those lions in chapter 3 just knock your health to 1 regardless of how much defense you have. That said, I'm still sweeping them on hard.

Any tips for making a decent amount of cash in chapter 2? I still haven't gotten the specific nemesis I can steal from, so any other options? You make no cash from random battles really and the 15K I came in to chapter 2 are basically gone now after buying new equipment and spells.

colinp

Banned
Anyone else feel an obligation to Examine every enemy you see? I don't want to give up that ability though maybe my chars would be better off with something else...

pikmin_trainer

Neo Member
I was too lazy to think of a good set up for my party so I just have a bunch of monks with Acrobatics and Hasten World.

No diversity but I don't think I can get damaged.

macklelol

On to Chapter 7!
Sigh. Looks like I got one more world to deal with after this one. While the story is still kinda interesting, having to do the same old shit 5 times in a row is tiring.

I picked this up before Christmas, yet to play it, but wanted to ask if the game gives you any leeway to break the battle system like some of the SNES/PS1 era games? It's something I always liked about the older Final Fantasy games, particularly VIII, which you can just destroy in a few hours of starting the game. It's not something I cared to do on first playthroughs, but it always made replaying the games more interesting.

On to Chapter 7!
Sigh. Looks like I got one more world to deal with after this one. While the story is still kinda interesting, having to do the same old shit 5 times in a row is tiring.

don't read the spoilers below if you're not at chapter 7 yet everyone else, really

yeah it's pretty annoying doing that shit over and over again
and I assume if you're in chapter 7 you already know Airy is DA EVIL ONE? lol
oh and <--- has a different personality out of nowhere in chapter 7

I picked this up before Christmas, yet to play it, but wanted to ask if the game gives you any leeway to break the battle system like some of the SNES/PS1 era games? It's something I always liked about the older Final Fantasy games, particularly VIII, which you can just destroy in a few hours of starting the game. It's not something I cared to do on first playthroughs, but it always made replaying the games more interesting.

#1 lesson of all RPGs, especially Final Fantasy: every game is easily breakable

macklelol

don't read the spoilers below if you're not at chapter 7 yet everyone else, really

The changes between worlds is what keeps the story interesting. I did like the conjurer side quest.

Also, who wouldn't have known Airy was the evil one by the time you get to chapter 7 lol. It's so obvious it hurts.

lmao it even says Airy Lies in the title screen.

colinp

Banned
you can just have one person sub Freelancer and examine every enemy you come across once

and while you're doing that, fill in all those empty enemy pages on the Final Fantasy wiki

Yeah that's what I'm doing- not the wiki part tho ;)

For bosses especially I like to know their xp.

The 'Girl Power' scene? Yeah that was great, seeing the villains get less and less threatening and more absurd as each world rolled around was a nice touch.

I got the collector's edition for this in the mail on Friday last week, and I've been putting some time into this game. I've probably put in over twenty hours, and I'm still on chapter 2. I'm probably close to chapter 3, but I'm having such a fun time doing side quests and grinding job levels.

I'm playing on normal mode, and so far the game hasn't been very punishing, but it's not a cakewalk, either. I haven't lost to any boss yet(aside from Nemeses, but I won't count those yet), but a couple have given me some close calls:
Merchant Profiteur was tough, but I adapted. Red Mage DeRosa was probably my roughest fight, as I just barely took him down. I had given my Knight/Spell Fencer Edea a trinket that gave her lightning resistance, which unwittingly saved me. On the last turn, DeRosa cast Thundara twice, killing everybody in the party except for Edea who barely held on. I braved all I could brave at DeRosa and he finally went down. The closest fight I've had in an RPG in a very long time, and it was great.

I won't be able to play too much for these next seven days since I work, but working does have it's benefits: I can level up a lot of my Norende buildings in one fell swoop, since when I work I'm gone for pretty much fifteen hours of the day. Fifteen hour work day= eight-ten Norende buildings leveled up...for now. So, until my week off, I'll just continue grinding for what little time I've to spend with the game.

Top Bottom