• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Zing

Banned
Anyone else feel an obligation to Examine every enemy you see? I don't want to give up that ability though maybe my chars would be better off with something else...
I examine every enemy the first time I discover them, so I can forever see their stats in the enemy screen. I should probably test to see if not examining and just defeating them allows the same effect.

Anyone else feel an obligation to Examine every enemy you see? I don't want to give up that ability though maybe my chars would be better off with something else...

Something I find really helpful that I would never have found if someone here didn't mention it is that if you select an enemy that you have already examined (using left analog) and then push right on the d-pad you can get a break down of all of their stats. Helps determines who is resistant to physical/ weak to magic, etc.

Just tried my first Nemesis. My party's level 10/11 and the Nemesis says its recommended level is 10. It has a multi-target attack that does 600-900 damage to all my party members even when they're defaulting.

In conclusion: Square Enix are dicks.

Otherwise I'm enjoying it so far, though it feels a bit grindy already and I think I'm only in the first chapter.

Busaiku

Holy crap, the vampire castle was really hard.
I think I did it earlier than intended too, since he was describing evil Airy (which I have yet to encounter, but it's pretty obvious).

JulianImp

I've been pondering whether I should go and buy the game now digitally, or wait what could possibly be a long time before I'd get my hands on a physical copy. I do have a 32 GB SD card, but I'd hate to have it fill up way too fast.

Are nemeses timed events? If so, are there any ways to get them once they're no longer being distributed?

Matriox

Just added my code to the big list in the other Bd thread, but my code is 3411-1622-2960, I'll be going through the list later today getting people but is there somewhere else to get friend codes? PM them to me if you want to. It didn't feel like a whole lot of codes were on there.

bumpkin

I finally got to chapter 2 last night... Let me tell you, it was depressing to encounter
that fucking dragon from the demo when I thought I had just acquired the rainbow thread scott-free. That fucker wrecked me over and over in the demo; had to dial it down to easy in order to get past him. I gave him one try on normal before saying fuck it and dialing it down again... That son of a bitch with his combo of "Mow-down" followed by "Bully" made him a chore of a fight I simply didn't wish to endure on anything other than easy.

I can't remember if I reset the difficulty back to normal or not when
I got to the final boss(es) of chapter 1... It was satisfying to finally kick Khint's ass. He really wasn't really so bad to fight, but they really went out of their way to make the king a pain in the butt, huh?

How has everyone been rolling their squad? My setup right now...

Tiz - Monk Lvl.6
Edea - Knight Lvl. 3 (she was my Black Mage for a while)
Agnes - White Mage Lvl 4
Ringabel - Black Mage Lvl. 3

Just tried my first Nemesis. My party's level 10/11 and the Nemesis says its recommended level is 10. It has a multi-target attack that does 600-900 damage to all my party members even when they're defaulting.

Otherwise I'm enjoying it so far, though it feels a bit grindy already and I think I'm only in the first chapter.

LOL I ran into this issue earlier. I was like WTF yo.

Hah! I've got three of that particular Nemeses roaming around my Norende. I cheesed one of them by using a friend's special attack that did damage in the five-digit area. I'm determined to beat the others cleanly, though.

My party is at level 32, with job levels around level 8. I think I can take him.

LOL I ran into this issue earlier. I was like WTF yo.

Let me guess... Beelzebub? Just happened to me too! I also made the error of "going all out" while he was in "absorb all damage mode". Woops.

Game is so good though... people griping about the story - so far I think it's charming and a definite throwback to FF5 (and before). Gameplay more than makes up for it... love me some job systems.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I am pretty close to the beginning of the game (I am just now getting back from the crater with Agnes), but I just wanted to chime in and say that this is the first 3DS game that has blown me away with the 3D effect. It is absolutely perfectly used here. I don't even know what it is about it that stands out so well. It's just like a perfect little diorama with an amazing art style. Especially the first town at night, with the view pulled back. Breathtaking.

Animekatt

Who's best suited to be a valkyrie?

For the time being, I assign the jobs to the character that looks the best in it. I gave the Valkyrie job to Tiz, because I wanted him to be something other than thief for a change. When I get to end game, I'll be more serious about the stats, and which jobs would go to the recommended person.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Any word on how I can check how many sleep points I have/how much longer until I earn another one? I've been keeping my 3DS in Sleep Mode & rebuilding the village with my 12 villagers while I'm in class or doing other stuff, but haven't seen anything about Sleep Points.

Zing

Banned
"My dress is ripped, stop everything and let's go to a completely new area."

DAT PROGRESSIVE FEMALE CHARACTERIZATION
I assume you are referring to the wind temple. Your comments are absurd. Think how silly you sound to everyone else who has viewed that scene.

Let me guess... Beelzebub? Just happened to me too! I also made the error of "going all out" while he was in "absorb all damage mode". Woops.

Game is so good though... people griping about the story - so far I think it's charming and a definite throwback to FF5 (and before). Gameplay more than makes up for it... love me some job systems.

....you're supposed to do that

Proven

Any word on how I can check how many sleep points I have/how much longer until I earn another one? I've been keeping my 3DS in Sleep Mode & rebuilding the village with my 12 villagers while I'm in class or doing other stuff, but haven't seen anything about Sleep Points.

Best guess: Open your pause menu. When you've been in Sleep Mode in a while, there will be a little animation on the bottom left corner of the bottom screen where a small hourglass will fill up. Every time it fills up completely you get a Sleep Point.

If the hourglass doesn't have a number next to it showing you how much SP you have, just hit the little "S" at the center of the bottom screen to check.

Most people wouldn't figure that out (I wouldn't) unless they took the name of the move literally or survived long enough to see that he stays in Gluttony mode for the rest of the fight.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Best guess: Open your pause menu. When you've been in Sleep Mode in a while, there will be a little animation on the bottom left corner of the bottom screen where a small hourglass will fill up. Every time it fills up completely you get a Sleep Point.

If the hourglass doesn't have a number next to it showing you how much SP you have, just hit the little "S" at the center of the bottom screen to check.
Ahh, I see. I think I should see some progress now compared to before I let my 3DS be in sleep move for about 6 hours overnight. I forgot it takes about...what, 7-8 hours per point?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The more I play this, the more I love it. One of my favorite jRPGs in years. I really love the cast for some reason. They are all adorable little noseless badasses. It appeal to the hardcore RPG player in me, to switch classes around and to build the skill base of my little people, while the cliche-ridden (I do feel it's tongue in cheek) plot is taking me way back. I for one, loves the acting and writing. It's just a beautiful game too. Seriously giving SMTIV a run for it's money, as far as 3DS rpgs are concerned. And for me, that means a lot.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Not the biggest fan of those "let's travel all around the world, back and fort to make time go by"-sequences

Maybesew

Ok so I just finished chapter 2 but
i still have a blue exclamation point at florem. I've talked to everyone but there is nothing once I go inside the city? I had one conversation with the guy I assumed was a red Mage but can't seem to get him to return. How do I trigger the next event?

Geoff9920

Ok so I just finished chapter 2 but
i still have a blue exclamation point at florem. I've talked to everyone but there is nothing once I go inside the city? I had one conversation with the guy I assumed was a red Mage but can't seem to get him to return. How do I trigger the next event?
You have go there at night.

Proven

Hearing people complain about running about in Chapter 3 makes me wish I waited to get some of the
summons
in Chapter 2. Oh well, I'll see how bad it is later today.

lol, I feel really stupid now. I've beaten that Nemesis several times now, but I always just defaulted against the acid attack after Gluttony and healed up/kept fighting. I had no idea you could make him "explode" and take a huge chunk of damage after that. xD

pikmin_trainer

Neo Member
I am too lazy to try and get a 999,999 Friend Summon so I will settle for 437,120.

I could probably just try the summoner way to do it. Just have auto-battle and stuff.

Forkball

I assume you are referring to the wind temple. Your comments are absurd. Think how silly you sound to everyone else who has viewed that scene.
It's just a joke. Like the crystal cares if her dress is torn up. I'm surprised "tattered vestal garment" isn't a DLC costume (maybe for Lightning).

And dammit Ringabel, you can't stay alive for one more turn? 84 job points down the drain.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I think Agnes's voice is fine so far, the little fairy is borderline obnoxious but not quite, i can handle it, Tiz's voice is a bit bland but by no means bad, Ringabel and Edea definitely have better voices though, overall i think the english dub is quite good, no need to switch to the JP one.

I have a quick question about the job system.

Is there any permanent stat gain or anything assoicated with leveling up a job? Is there any real point to getting a character up to level 9 or so in everything?

If I don't need a specific support ability from some other job if I should just leave my guys where I think they are most effective, or do they benefit from having job levels in something else.

For example, my spell fencer Tiz is awesome, and I already have 2-handed from the knight on him. He just hit level 9, should I cycle him into something like black mage to up spell damage if I want to be a spell fencer long term? Or does this not matter at all?

oakenhild

I am too lazy to try and get a 999,999 Friend Summon so I will settle for 437,120.

I could probably just try the summoner way to do it. Just have auto-battle and stuff.

In order to set that for your friends list, do you just go to Summon Friend - Send, in battle? Then go to the red dude, and upload data? Next time they update, they'll have access to your new attack?

I have a quick question about the job system.

Is there any permanent stat gain or anything assoicated with leveling up a job? Is there any real point to getting a character up to level 9 or so in everything?

If I don't need a specific support ability from some other job if I should just leave my guys where I think they are most effective, or do they benefit from having job levels in something else.

For example, my spell fencer Tiz is awesome, and I already have 2-handed from the knight on him. He just hit level 9, should I cycle him into something like black mage to up spell damage if I want to be a spell fencer long term? Or does this not matter at all?

Stat gains are attached to the job, so no

Korosenai

From what people were saying, Edea has the highest base strength, so probably her?

For the time being, I assign the jobs to the character that looks the best in it. I gave the Valkyrie job to Tiz, because I wanted him to be something other than thief for a change. When I get to end game, I'll be more serious about the stats, and which jobs would go to the recommended person.

Ringabel, higher speed makes easier to chain jumps or strong atacks before being atacked.
3 different answers... Lol.

Right now i have ringabel as a furry, edea as a spell fencer, and tiz as a knight. Tiz just isnt cutting it right now as a knight, so i might switch him to valkyrie.

ryanofcall

I summoned friends to beat the merchant. They took him out in two turns. Felt really cheap and gamebreaking. Will not use again.

You probably want to use/save your Rejuventation Friend summons for the last boss. I didn't use any summons till I realised how awesome Rejuventation summons are :D

3 different answers... Lol.

Right now i have ringabel as a furry, edea as a spell fencer, and tiz as a knight. Tiz just isnt cutting it right now as a knight, so i might switch him to valkyrie.

It probably doesn't really matter as long as it isn't Agnes, lol.

Top Bottom