• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

ohlawd

hit the midpoint (well I think it's the midpoint) - chapter 5

fuck is this shit. I know it's optional tho. I should be stealing everything from all bosses, right?

at least I'm lvl 99.

fuck is this shit. I know it's optional tho. I should be stealing everything from all bosses, right?

at least I'm lvl 99.

No, just Chapter

TBH, you don't really need those either except the Hermes Shoes from
DeRosa.
God bless those shoes.

joe2187

Banned
Want to thank the guy that sent me Ba'al; Turtle Dove to my village

He will probably take up permanent residence there seeing as he's a level 99 eldritch abomination of infinite horror.

demidar

at least I'm lvl 99.

Jesus.

And to your spoilers,
yeah, bosses also hold multiple items so it's a pain if you're not a thief

at least I'm lvl 99.

wtf

anyway, how far is everyone on this game right now

if in chapters 1-4, list the most recent boss you beat too

O quick tip about Thieves. Their lvl 11 move is a passive that lets you steal 2 items at a time. Essentially if you successfully steal, you get 2 copies of the item, even if they are weapons from bosses :D The level 12 passive lets you steal from everyone on the screen all at once. So if you stack the 2 and have 4 mobs on the screen, you can potentially steal 8 things at once :D Also don't forget to equip the Thief's Ring to increase your steal rates

As for how far I'm at, I'm lvl 55 near the end of Chapter 3
just got swordmaster, oddly enough he didn't try to counter me once during that fight...
with most jobs at least at lvl 9 some 10s and 11s.

O if anyone needs some ablinks I can add a few more

2637 9874 2211

PM me if you add me so I can add you back

Korosenai

Chapter 2 spoilers

Fucking Rusalka.... I cant beat it. This is the first boss/enemy that i have not been able to beat on my second try, and its currently killed me five times in a row... Fuck.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Chapter 2 spoilers

Fucking Rusalka.... I cant beat it. This is the first boss/enemy that i have not been able to beat on my second try, and its currently killed me five times in a row... Fuck.

Now-Comes-The-Part-Where-We-Throw-Our-Heads-Back-In-Laughter-In-George-Of-The-Jungle.gif

Skilletor

That 1% asshole had it coming though!

For sure! lol.

I wasn't really sure how the stuff worked, so I thought I'd try it out on the boss.

You probably want to use/save your Rejuventation Friend summons for the last boss. I didn't use any summons till I realised how awesome Rejuventation summons are :D

Nawp, I'll just play without using the extra stuff. I'm sure the balance of the game is such that these things are extra perks for people struggling against certain sections.

O quick tip about Thieves. Their lvl 11 move is a passive that lets you steal 2 items at a time. Essentially if you successfully steal, you get 2 copies of the item, even if they are weapons from bosses :D The level 12 passive lets you steal from everyone on the screen all at once. So if you stack the 2 and have 4 mobs on the screen, you can potentially steal 8 things at once :D Also don't forget to equip the Thief's Ring to increase your steal rates

Man, I swear the game descriptions are wonky when it comes to sharing abilities.

When it says, the effect doesn't stack, does it mean that it does stack? Or am I just understanding wrong?

Like Experience x1.5 says it doesn't stack with items, but I equip the Golden Egg (x2 exp) and get triple exp.

Same with Master Thief and Thief Gloves. My [Steal] rate seems unchanged with both equipped, but my [Shakedown] seems to be 25% more effective (I tested both with 100 steals).

Its kicking my ass for some reason. Literally the first time this entire game ive had any trouble.

Make sure you Examine the boss before it splits so you can keep track of it. Get a Valkyrie(or secondary) to do some crescent moons to clear out the clones quickly

Man, I swear the game descriptions are wonky when it comes to sharing abilities.

When it says, the effect doesn't stack, does it mean that it does stack? Or am I just understanding wrong?

Like Experience x1.5 says it doesn't stack with items, but I equip the Golden Egg (x2 exp) and get triple exp.

Same with Master Thief and Thief Gloves. My [Steal] rate seems unchanged with both equipped, but my [Shakedown] seems to be 25% more effective (I tested both with 100 steals).

Yeah I'm not sure about the xp gain, haven't gotten the egg yet (halfway there money wise!) I haven't necessarily tested Master Thief and Thief Gloves a whole lot but I just assumed they'd stack. I wish we could get some hard numbers for some of this. But thanks for testing it :)
Where do you get this?

lvl 10 item from the village accessory shop (cost 500k and makes it so you gain no money when equipped)

o and one more thing to make your life easier when farming, go and unlock the Alarm Earrings from the accessory shop of the village, it should be relatively early (it reduces the chance of enemies getting first strike)

Fandangox

wtf

I am right now in Chapter 2, I think I am at the dungeon before the Chapter's boss.

My current Party is 28-29

Tiz is a level 9 Thief with the angel bow, and has some Monk abilities as the secondary job.

Agnes is a level 9 Black Mage, with White Mage as secondary (will have to level up that more for her later)

Ringabel is a level 8 spell fencer, with freelancer as secondary (examine and the chest location are helpful for me).

Edea right now is a level 2 Red Mage with Time Mage as secondary, but I am thinking of making her go physical through Knight > Valkyrie

I am gonna move Tiz to Ranger after he Master thief to what abilities I get. Edea is kind of the jack of all trades as she has had the most job switches, but don't have her as focused on each Job as opposed to the other 3.

My last two bosses were
The Red Mage and the Valkyrie. DeRosa was a bit though to crack, his Revenge ability made him being able to constantly heal and attack me. The Valkyrie boss battle was really in contrast.

Busaiku

Time loop, I expected as much!
I don't feel like reading through all of Alternis's journal again, though there are more pages this time.

Also, I love Karl's voice.

bumpkin

So I was just making my way through
Miasma Woods on my lunch break. Good god, I have the game set to Normal and those fucking mushrooms are kicking my ass; dealing 200+ damage every time they hit me if I'm not using Default. And then of course they're occasionally spawning more of themselves, making it that much harder to get them out of my hair. Yikes.

Where do you get this?

Whoops, meant Growth Egg; Level 10 Norende Item Shop.

Yeah I'm not sure about the xp gain, haven't gotten the egg yet (halfway there money wise!) I haven't necessarily tested Master Thief and Thief Gloves a whole lot but I just assumed they'd stack. I wish we could get some hard numbers for some of this. But thanks for testing it :)

Yeah, I'd love if somebody could tell me how it works. As I mentioned, I tried testing, but my samples are not amazingly big.

For Shakedown, I got 54% success rate for 100 steals with just Master Thief and 74% success rate for 100 steals with Master Thief and Thief Gloves.

With the regular Steal ability I get 62% with Thief Gloves and 48% without, which is less convincing.

EDIT

Bit late, but tip for the above. Mushrooms spawn if you hit them with physical attacks.

wtf

I'm on the start of chapter 4. I need to take a break because chapter 3 was pretty bad and I think I'll start to dislike this game if I don't rest on it a bit.

500k.

Growth Egg doubles JP and EXP but you won't get any pg if anyone's wondering. Also, only one person needs to equip it.
Oops, yeah you're right

Whoops, meant Growth Egg; Level 10 Norende Item Shop.

Yeah, I'd love if somebody could tell me how it works. As I mentioned, I tried testing, but my samples are not amazingly big.

For Shakedown, I got 54% success rate for 100 steals with just Master Thief and 74% success rate for 100 steals with Master Thief and Thief Gloves.

With the regular Steal ability I get 62% with Thief Gloves and 48% without, which is less convincing.

EDIT

Bit late, but tip for the above. Mushrooms spawn if you hit them with physical attacks.

Man that makes no sense :/ O have you noticed if there's any difference between regular Steal and Mug?

bryehn

Can someone please explain the special move system to me?

Say I have a knight with a sword and it says "use brave 5 times"...how do I do this when it only lets me default to a max of 3 bp? Is it per battle, cumulative or what? The explanation in game is very obtuse. I'm only in chapter 1 if that makes a difference.

demidar

Can someone please explain the special move system to me?

Say I have a knight with a sword and it says "use brave 5 times"...how do I do this when it only lets me default to a max of 3 bp? Is it per battle, cumulative or what? The explanation in game is very obtuse. I'm only in chapter 1 if that makes a difference.

It's across battles, it carries over.

bumpkin

Not late; just in time. Figures that I didn't even notice/pick up on that. Guess I'll have to stick to blasting all of them at once with Fire magic. Their hits still do big damage though, very frustrating. :(

chapter 2
level 42
25:55 played
red mage boss

This is almost exactly where I am in the game. Just beat that boss, around 25 hours, but I'm level 33 or something like that. I turned off exp for a while when I thought I was getting overleveled - might have been a mistake, lol.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
This is almost exactly where I am in the game. Just beat that boss, around 25 hours, but I'm level 33 or something like that. I turned off exp for a while when I thought I was getting overleveled - might have been a mistake, lol.

the hell? I beat him around level 27.

It's not the level... IT'S YOU

---

Oh crap 3ds blinking red. Gonna have to make it default for a while

Korosenai

Make sure you Examine the boss before it splits so you can keep track of it. Get a Valkyrie(or secondary) to do some crescent moons to clear out the clones quickly
Beat it using this method... didn't need to use crescent moons though. I just focused all of my attacks on it.

Zing

Banned
Also don't forget to equip the Thief's Ring to increase your steal rates

The thief job gives a steal bonus already, and the description says it doesn't stack. I took this to mean that the ring doesn't help if thief is your main job. I have Tiz with thief "subjob" wearing it.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Chapter 3 sidequest question:
Just talked to Datz about the mystery ship in the area. Now the sidequest marker is gone. Is this another case of having to wait until further along the story do complete it?

Thanks.

Busaiku

Chapter 3 sidequest question:
Just talked to Datz about the mystery ship in the area. Now the sidequest marker is gone. Is this another case of having to wait until further along the story do complete it?

Thanks.

You can actually do it at any time.
Between Grandship and Caldisla there's this gray thing on the water, you'll be able to interact with it.

the hell? I beat him around level 27.

It's not the level... IT'S YOU

---

Oh crap 3ds blinking red. Gonna have to make it default for a while

Well I didn't really have any problems with that boss in particular (I said "it might have been a mistake" because the other person was much higher level than myself and we're at the same point in the game). I wasn't really prepared for a boss fight though as I was on lower level jobs and had no healer really, and the actual fight kind of comes out of nowhere. I assumed we'd be lead to a dungeon like the previous sidequests instead of just cutscene -> cutscene -> boss with no stopping in between.

Top Bottom