• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

pahamrick

Chapter 3 sidequest question:
Just talked to Datz about the mystery ship in the area. Now the sidequest marker is gone. Is this another case of having to wait until further along the story do complete it?

Thanks.
Travel around grandship and look for a large patch of fog.

Now that I Spell Fencer, keeping a Black Mage around as a main or sub class feels useless. Ring was my Black/Red/Time Mage for a long time. But now he's going on glass cannon duty as a thief.

Zing

Banned
Guess I have to level up the knight class for everyone besides Tiz to get the two handed ability.
Yeah that 30 JP requirement per character is killer. :D

Actually, I'm concerned I may want to level up the jobs that give the elemental abate support abilities for each character!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The running around in chapter 3... I am going to have to watch that 3 1/2hr stream of the guy beating the game because I CALL BULLSHIT even for the barebones main quest. He had to have done some crazy sequence breaking.

Actually, I'm concerned I may want to level up the jobs that give the elemental abate support abilities for each character!
Eventually there is a shop that sells accessories for those. Just before you start needing them, too.

The running around in chapter 3... I am going to have to watch that 3 1/2hr stream of the guy beating the game because I CALL BULLSHIT even for the barebones main quest. He had to have done some crazy sequence breaking.

Eventually there is a shop that sells accessories for those. Just before you start needing them, too.

no sequence breaking
only reflects, and optimal grinding spots

everyone always overestimates the time required to speedrun games, I remember people saying there was no way to do Xenoblade in under 15 hours (including the guy who did the NG+ run!)....and we're at 9.5 hours now

I should switch my avatar to Artemia because apparently she bodied the run

edit: lolololol Artemia cost him 2.5 minutes

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The fekk. I'm 14hrs in at at end chapter 3 with lvl 36 chars.

How did I get this far without getting my ass kicked lol.

Did you do all sidequests? I spent 25 hours+ getting there with no grinding at all

Everything, I believe.

But I'm in the first few minutes of the game and don't have Special Moves to use : P

Ahhh I gotcha!
I'm intentionally leaving some things until the second play through, like compounds and the learned enemy moves, so got a bit worried about things not carrying over. Nice to hear it's all mostly intact :)

Seda

You guys weren't kidding about the fire crystal boss. Even after seeing the general pattern, I had to switch things up a bit to best him,
went with two healers and two physical attackers with lightning sword magic.

And then the sidequest boss right after that was cake, of course.

demidar

You guys weren't kidding about the fire crystal boss. Even after seeing the general pattern, I had to switch things up a bit to best him,

It just nut-punches you. How I did it was
a dedicated healer with Cura and Raise equipment, a Spell Fencer that can quickly use items in a jam, Ranger who carries the damage and Dancer for buffing up speed and M. Def while dodging the Burst with his Jump subabilities. And 3 of my guys had Angelic Ward, which helped out in spots.

megalowho

Just getting into this after enjoying the demo, game is a really nice update on the classic Final Fantasy formula. Captures the spirit of the series while still doing its own thing. Story and writing is cliche filled and familiar, kind of endearingly so, but Ringabel's journal is an interesting wrinkle after skimming through that a bit. Voice acting is hit or miss but not as bad as anticipated.

Everything looks and feels elegant across the board, love the visual style. Combat is fun and tying class unlocks to bosses is a great idea. Really appreciate the ability to explore for treasure without random encounters and then turn the slider all the way up for fast paced leveling- knowing I can always run back to an inn safely takes some of the tension out of dungeons, but the tradeoff is worth it. First Square RPG that I've been hooked on in ages, feels good to be back.

KHlover

Banned

That boss is the hardest regular boss in the game imo,
until your blackmage learns to ignore M.Def and ignores his shield. And your spiritmaster just blocks all damage from Energy Blast. And your general damage output grows faster than his HP in Chapters 5-8. Goes from hardest of the Crystal bosses to easiest.

That boss is the hardest regular boss in the game imo,
until your blackmage learns to ignore M.Def and ignores his shield. And your spiritmaster just blocks all damage from Energy Blast. And your general damage output grows faster than his HP in Chapters 5-8. Goes from hardest of the Crystal bosses to easiest.

nah Othros is the easiest boss in chapters 5-8, you can literally stack enough defense to the point where he does 1 damage every time

edit: lawl Victoria also trolling the run by not killing the party and using poison instead

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
no sequence breaking
only reflects, and optimal grinding spots

everyone always overestimates the time required to speedrun games
I wasn't meaning anything about grinding. I mean the plain time it takes to run back and forth all over the world for these stupid sequences in chapter 3.

Tip:
Praline
from Chpt 3 subquest is a complete pushover if you have a spell fencer put one of her minions to sleep and kill the other one.

Then she can't summon and her minion can't do anything. I say fencer here and not black mage cause there's a sword that gives sleep condition

I wasn't meaning anything about grinding. I mean the plain time it takes to run back and forth all over the world for these stupid sequences in chapter 3.

....you do realize the overworld area for Bravely Default is actually pretty small, right
and the actual WR is 3:23, except I don't see a video for it

rugioh

Banned
How good are status effects in this game? Like, in most JRPGs some mobs are impossible to sleep/silence/poison etc etc... but Using spell fencers is it worth it to try and use status ailments on bosses and stuff?

I actually used Salve-Maker to do most of my damage. Item attacks go straight through the shield and I found that using the attack item passive plus compounding Demon Tail + Dragon Fang netted me attacks that did 7500 damage lol

LakeEarth

Finally got to try out the demo to this game... yeah it is so bought. Wal-Mart was actually sold out, which was nice to see, but it prevent me from getting it yesterday. Oh well, I still have a bit more of the demo to finish anyways.

KHlover

Banned
How good are status effects in this game? Like, in most JRPGs some mobs are impossible to sleep/silence/poison etc etc... but Using spell fencers is it worth it to try and use status ailments on bosses and stuff?
Most bosses can at least be poisoned. Initially almost impossible to do though, it's astonishing how often status spells miss. Until you get the Arcanist class that is, since it has a support ability that increases the chance of status effects to apply and some massively powerful spells to punish anyone with a status effect on them.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Any Strategies for Blehegor? I'm at level 20 and can't put a dent in him

He does

Water
Fire
Lightning

Or is it
Water
Lightning
Fire

Every time you hit him with his weakness he goes to the next one. Use the examine skill to find out

For example: His weakness is water, you hit him with a water attack. Then his weakness becomes Fire hit him with fire. it'll become lightning. Hit him with lightning. it'll become water.

So I made Ringabel a summoner for the MP boost and because his black mage stat is high enough I don't need to change him back for a while. Anybody has any opinion on whether I should change him into a red mage when I get it? I would think that with a red mage I eventually I don't need to keep black magic as a secondary job and change into a perfomer eventually. I have a feeling I'm keeping Agnes as a white mage until spiritmaster.

Seda

I actually used Salve-Maker to do most of my damage. Item attacks go straight through the shield and I found that using the attack item passive plus compounding Demon Tail + Dragon Fang netted me attacks that did 7500 damage lol

Ah, I hadn't bothered leveling up that class yet, actually doing that now - along with Ninja which I just got, finally!

Venfayth

Chapter 3
fire temple
boss:

I'm playing on hard, everyones about level 52, which I figure is overleveled. I'm getting one shot by Energy Burst. Is there a way to mitigate this damage, or prevent him from doing it? Or do I just need to beef up to survive it?

Gotchaye

Chapter 3
fire temple
boss:

I'm playing on hard, everyones about level 52, which I figure is overleveled. I'm getting one shot by Energy Burst. Is there a way to mitigate this damage, or prevent him from doing it? Or do I just need to beef up to survive it?

It's physical damage, I'm pretty sure, or at least it can be dodged. So, physical defense, Protect, and evade all work. You want to Default on the turn after it Transforms and then unload on the following turn.

Chapter 3
fire temple
boss:

I stacked a bunch of angelic ward and damage dispersion but the main thing is that while the shield is up you can still damage the boss with items. Its weak against lightning btw so any items that do lightning damage is good. Salve-Maker can make some high damage items if you have the parts, check the link I posted above. When it transforms/takes down the shield, make sure you default and then afterward its free game for regular damage. Having Spell Fencer as a secondary for Thundara weapons can help you with damage as well. You can also set your specials with demon slaying and Lightning damage too

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

I used that as a secondary ability for...I think Ringabel. It helped. The other people just used items during the shield portion, but the compounding was nice.

Chapter 3
fire temple
boss:

It's physical damage, so maybe beef that up. You could use the
performer skill that raises p def
before it uses it which will also help.

Why is it that invigorate will cause damage to its user sometimes??

It is a chance based ability. If you read the tooltip it tells you that it will do a percentage of damage based on your maximum HP if it fails. You can level up Freelancer for a support ability that improves chance based abilities. I imagine that would work for this.

Venfayth

It's physical damage, I'm pretty sure, or at least it can be dodged. So, physical defense, Protect, and evade all work. You want to Default on the turn after it Transforms and then unload on the following turn.

I stacked a bunch of angelic ward and damage dispersion but the main thing is that while the shield is up you can still damage the boss with items. Its weak against lightning btw so any items that do lightning damage is good. Salve-Maker can make some high damage items if you have the parts, check the link I posted above. When it transforms/takes down the shield, make sure you default and then afterward its free game for regular damage. Having Spell Fencer as a secondary for Thundara weapons can help you with damage as well. You can also set your specials with demon slaying and Lightning damage too

It's physical damage, so maybe beef that up. You could use theperformer skill that raises p def before it uses it which will also help.

Got it. Beat it my next try with this knowledge. Thanks guys :)

Pbae

So uh...

I just got the Summoner job and was walking to the next quest and I saw an owl looking dude and accepted his quest....

And, I'm obliterated with only Agnes (Summoner) alive...I got the summon so cool? Was a huge shock lol.

Top Bottom