• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Protag

Banned
dc4Ufpq.png

Lmao, word, stop playing then. Problem solved.

Baliis

But man, I can't believe you said the soundtrack is repetitive. The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal IMO. It evokes emotion, and that's the best thing music can do.

It is a bit repetitive, but it's still a fantastic soundtrack, one of the best imo.

I haven't been able to really play this since the weekend, yet I could open it up to set something to start building in town. The result: I have no idea what I've done when I actually start the actual game back up. These max level town buildings have some intimidating stuff.

That was probably unnecessary.

Heh sorry, it was just meant as a joke. Whenever someone is that negative about a piece of media it makes it sound like it personally insulted them. Similar to how when a new piece of tech is announced for lord knows how much money people say "does it do my taxes?"

Haha yeah thats true, I'm just addicted to leveling Jobs and abusing the hell out of crescent moon, don't forget to buy a set of alarm earrings and equip them before you start a grind, it helps keep your combo going

lol, I'm the same way actually. I love grinding when I get new jobs, but just seeing those 3500+ requirements is a little daunting. But mainly because I'm getting such piddly jp where I'm at currently. We'll see how well it goes. I wish I had that accessory that gives more jp/exp, but I have nowhere near enough money. I need an Elixir Mammon! D: Oh and yeah, I actually did buy a set of alarm earrings today when I was grinding. :)

For the new page :eek:

iirc, the bonuses are only transferred over when you start a new game. :(

Seda

Heh sorry, it was just meant as a joke. Whenever someone is that negative about a piece of media it makes it sound like it personally insulted them. Similar to how when a new piece of tech is announced for lord knows how much money people say "does it do my taxes?"

No worries, I wasn't sure how serious you were being, the problem with message boards at times. Note that OTs sometimes communally shun critical opinions for no good reason and that's not how we want OTs to operate.

lol, I'm the same way actually. I love grinding when I get new jobs, but just seeing those 3500+ requirements is a little daunting. But mainly because I'm getting such piddly jp where I'm at currently. We'll see how well it goes. I wish I had that accessory that gives more jp/exp, but I have nowhere near enough money. I need an Elixir Mammon! D: Oh and yeah, I actually did buy a set of alarm earrings today when I was grinding. :)

The requirement jump from 800jp to 3500jp certainly slows down the Job leveling, haha.

The requirement jump from 800jp to 3500jp certainly slows down the Job leveling, haha.

Yeah... D: I wasn't expecting it to jump up that high so quickly, but it makes sense with there only being 14 levels per job. I really like how the job leveling is done in this game though because you get something new each level.

Ugh, I really just can't decide on what jobs to give people

Does anyone have any decent suggestions for some job combinations to work on? Other than the obvious white/black mage?

Is there any reason to start working on time mages or merchants?

Also, I'm just about to get Ranger I believe, so that's where I am storywise...

anyone?

Nice, yeah first thing I did was get Freelancer to 10 to get that JP UP passive which helps a bit and I tend to keep 1-2 ppl leveling level 7+ jobs while others work on lower level ones. Seeing them fly through the lower levels gives me incentive to keep grinding :)

I really like Spell fender as secondaries, especially for bosses. Thief is good because I love stealing items from bosses. I haven't found much use for Merchant or Time Mage yet (end of Chapter 3). Ranger is great for helping you level other classes and speeding up the grind though all its attacks seem to be single target so it could be used as a boss killer but I think there are better dps classes later

I definitely recommend leveling up Thief on at least one person (Ringabel maybe) for stealing items from bosses. You can steal as a subjob as well, but it just takes longer.

I'd honestly just mess around with all the jobs. Get Knight to at least level 2 for Two Handed, btw - very useful for certain jobs.

Nice, yeah first thing I did was get Freelancer to 10 to get that JP UP passive which helps a bit and I tend to keep 1-2 ppl leveling level 7+ jobs while others work on lower level ones. Seeing them fly through the lower levels gives me incentive to keep grinding :)

Oh shit, Freelancer has that ability? I've kind of ignored that job since getting so many more interesting ones. Damn, I need that! lol

So is there any downside to summoning really powerful friends early on, or at any point?

I think it feels a little cheap to summon friends or use the abilink system personally, but nah, there's really no downside (besides making the game easy).

OK, I've been playing BD for a couple of days now and I'm just wondering if anyone else finds Agnes annoying?

I don't mind her as much anymore (just finished Chapter 2), but her voice acting is kind of all over the place. Sometimes, I think it fits her character perfectly - other times, I just want her to stop talking (especially when she starts one of her little speeches).

Animekatt

I'm using the English voices and all she does is sigh and gasp.I'm guessing it probably just the VA.

I just actually turned the voices back to English at the start of Ch. 3. I liked her Japanese voice a lot better.

Yeah Agnes is awful in English. In don't like the oldish Ringabel Japanese voice though.

I was pretty shocked when I heard Japanese Ringabel. It took me some time to fully get used to him sounding that way.

B.K.

Chapter 3 spoiler

I just beat the
Fire Temple boss.
I got lucky with it. It used the energy blast and killed everyone except Ringabel and he was able to kill it with four Stomps.

I definitely recommend leveling up Thief on at least one person (Ringabel maybe) for stealing items from bosses. You can steal as a subjob as well, but it just takes longer.

I'd honestly just mess around with all the jobs. Get Knight to at least level 2 for Two Handed, btw - very useful for certain jobs.

Oh shit, Freelancer has that ability? I've kind of ignored that job since getting so many more interesting ones. Damn, I need that! lol

I think it feels a little cheap to summon friends or use the abilink system personally, but nah, there's really no downside (besides making the game easy).

If you want you can add me as a friend to use the JP UP until you unlock it yourself. PM me your FC

2637 9874 2211

KarmaCow

I'm not sure if it's just due to specific job combinations but bosses in this game are all over the place. It's weird going from an awesome nail biter that was the Chapter 2 end boss where I had to micromanage equipping shields to mitigate damage but also take them off do deal enough damage to a push over that was the next few job unlock bosses. I'm trying to make sure I don't over level by turning off exp/jp/pg gain once the random mobs are no longer a real threat but even that isn't a good gauge for the bosses.

Also, is there ever a point where magic casters do good damage? At best a Black Mage seems only to be good for status effects and even that is iffy. A Spell Fencer seems outclass it every way so far.

Busaiku

Oh my goodness, still 4 bosses left, and I can't even fight 2 of them until I do some temples (I'm guessing).
Not looking forward to the Delrosso rematch.

If you want you can add me as a friend to use the JP UP until you unlock it yourself. PM me your FC

2637 9874 2211

Thanks, I sent you a PM. :) I don't normally like using the ablilink system or whatever it's called because I prefer to level my own jobs, but... I might take you up on that offer for the JP Up ability, lol.

Also, is there ever a point where magic casters do good damage? At best a Black Mage seems only to be good for status effects and even that is iffy. A Spell Fencer seems outclass it every way so far.

I dunno, my black mage does pretty good damage with the Fira/Thundara/etc line of spells. I don't think they are quite as efficient as the physical dps jobs, but they aren't bad. I still like having them around. :) I think the
Time Mage and Summoner
jobs are not very useful, though. At least compared to some of the other jobs.. maybe I just haven't found a good use for them yet. :)

ferr

So is there any downside to summoning really powerful friends early on, or at any point?

Maybe that it makes the game a little less challenging/fun? I have some gaffers with lv99 that do 25,000 damage to bosses. Also having abilink with lv99 people makes gaining levels with jobs a bit less interesting.

I'm not sure if it's just due to specific job combinations but bosses in this game are all over the place. It's weird going from an awesome nail biter that was the Chapter 2 end boss where I had to micromanage equipping shields to mitigate damage but also take them off do deal enough damage to a push over that was the next few job unlock bosses. I'm trying to make sure I don't over level by turning off exp/jp/pg gain once the random mobs are no longer a real threat but even that isn't a good gauge for the bosses.

how to make black magic actually good:
1. cast reflect on all party members
2. use your spells on the entire party, instead of the enemy
3. ???
4. kill shit

O man I just hit for 9999 4 times in one fight but they were all counter attacks that I couldn't save for Summons :/

Utsusemi is just so much fun with Transience

O man I just hit for 9999 4 times in one fight but they were all counter attacks that I couldn't save for Summons :/

Utsusemi is just so much fun with Transience

Ninja
subjob was soooo powerful in the demo when you had Transcience and Turn Tables equipped. Not only did you take a lot less damage (Utsusemi), but your damage got majorly pumped due to Turn Tables.

KHlover

Banned

On JL12 I think Black Mage learns "Ignore M.Def", which is every bit as OP as it sounds. Now you have Arcanist you can make it even better though. Black Mage also learns a Support Ability which enables you to cast single-target magic on groups. Arcanist has a Support ability called "Status Effect+" which MASSIVELY increases the chance of status ailments to work. Arcanist also has a spell called "Exterminate" (at least that'd be the English equivalent to the German name) which damages every poisoned character on the field...

Two options now: With "Ignore MDef" equipped you have to take extra turns to cast Toxin over and over again, but have a higher DMG output (I hit for 9999 on entire groups of bosses at around LV60 (on Easy though).

With "Magic-All" equipped you poison everyone at once but only hit for ca. 9000 - 9500 each round.

This makes the side-quest bosses, as well as Chaugmar and that weak ass water thing of the Crystal bosses a joke and Black Mage very viable

(I used it with Arcanist/Black Mage, so Arcanist/Spell Fencer should work too in regards to stat scaling).

Montresor

This game is sold out everywhere I looked today. Sold out at my local EB Games, Futureshop, and even a small store called Game Shack (all downtown Toronto locations, near Yonge/Dundas).

Ninja
subjob was soooo powerful in the demo when you had Transcience and Turn Tables equipped. Not only did you take a lot less damage (Utsusemi), but your damage got majorly pumped due to Turn Tables.

Doh, I totally forgot Turn Tables, I used Comeback Kid for that boss fight

B.K.

Chapter 3 sidequest spoiler

I'm having more trouble with Kamiizumi than I did the Fire Temple boss. Every attack he does does over 2000 damage.

then add Buff Up to make it faster!

also true ending spoilers:

so who exactly was the fairy who was inside Tiz or whatever and was Airy's sister(?)

Top Bottom