• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Ken

When do I get Mammon in my village? Level 26 at the moment.

Oh wait, guess it's random and I have to kill the Belphegors occupying my village first...

ferr

Ninja
subjob was soooo powerful in the demo when you had Transcience and Turn Tables equipped. Not only did you take a lot less damage (Utsusemi), but your damage got majorly pumped due to Turn Tables.

Buff Up, Disperse Damage, Angelic Ward with Nothing Ventured was the best in the demo.

I think I'm missing something obvious with ranger. My thief with the bow was doing way more damage with the bow. Sure the ranger is only level 3 right now while the thief was 9, but the difference is astounding. Is the reason the class is so popular the "attack [blank] enemy type" skills?

Ken

Blah, Belphegor beating me up even though I'm doing the rotation thing. Might need to level up Spell Fencer since I only have one caster (BLM).

I think I'm missing something obvious with ranger. My thief with the bow was doing way more damage with the bow. Sure the ranger is only level 3 right now while the thief was 9, but the difference is astounding. Is the reason the class is so popular the "attack [blank] enemy type" skills?

Thieves have high agi which increases hit count. The ranger is popular? I don't think it's all that good of a class. The "attack [blank] enemy type" skills aren't great in boss fights, and there are better ways to quickly kill random mobs.

So I thought I was in Chapter 1, but then I saw the actual Chapter 1 title screen and I thought, holy crap, I'm already five hours in, what the hell.

Nearly got throttled to death by the two sub-scenario bosses, but I made it (barely)! Starting to get a better feel for the combat system, which is good. Wondering if the Optimize function really works properly--it gave Edea a bow when she was a knight instead of the Long Sword, just because it had 1 damage higher. But that doesn't make any sense, right? It's not even a special bow, just a normal Iron Bow. And yeah, I guess it's two-handed, but it's graded D for knights. On the other hand, I checked all four stats tabs and it doesn't seem any worse than the sword. Is this just an oddity in the game, or do the letter grades not really matter, or is there some hidden stat that explains the discrepancy?

Chapter 3 sidequest spoiler

I'm having more trouble with Kamiizumi than I did the Fire Temple boss. Every attack he does does over 2000 damage.

He's a piece of cake, he spends a lot of time countering, so just keep buffing and don't have your entire party attack at once.

Job level apparently has a huge effect on the amount of physical damage a class can do.

So I thought I was in Chapter 1, but then I saw the actual Chapter 1 title screen and I thought, holy crap, I'm already five hours in, what the hell.

Nearly got throttled to death by the two sub-scenario bosses, but I made it (barely)! Starting to get a better feel for the combat system, which is good. Wondering if the Optimize function really works properly--it gave Edea a bow when she was a knight instead of the Long Sword, just because it had 1 damage higher. But that doesn't make any sense, right? It's not even a special bow, just a normal Iron Bow. And yeah, I guess it's two-handed, but it's graded D for knights. On the other hand, I checked all four stats tabs and it doesn't seem any worse than the sword. Is this just an oddity in the game, or do the letter grades not really matter, or is there some hidden stat that explains the discrepancy?

optimize just tries to max out every stat
in the case of bow vs sword, the displayed attack is higher; however, because weapon rank also influences # of hits, which also influences damage, the bow won't do as much damage as the sword

tl;dr: don't use optimize for weapons

demidar

Thieves have high agi which increases hit count. The ranger is popular? I don't think it's all that good of a class. The "attack [blank] enemy type" skills aren't great in boss fights, and there are better ways to quickly kill random mobs.

That's weird, my Ranger is the highest sustained DPS, does about 1400 damage per attack (10~14 hits) and I'm nearing the end of chapter 3. I cal also use Targeting to increase damage even more since my Ranger has Miscellany as a sub-ability and doesn't use MP.

Velcro Fly

I haven't played a lick today other than rebuilding the town. Up to 34 people right now in my village which makes building things easier. I love spreading them out when I go to sleep to get 3-4 things built at a time.

I have 5,200 or so gold early on in Chapter 1. I'm torn between buying spells for my mage or buying an Angel Bow to plow through the game a little bit. Some encounters have been mildly annoying and after awhile my group gets worn down. I'm considering grinding for a little bit of money to buy all my spells so that I'm not completely broke when I do buy them.

As for turning off encounters, I feel bad doing it sometimes but then on the way to a boss or something I get a super annoying encounter where the enemy either gets +1 BP or acts first and I waste way too much MP healing and killing things. Definitely put the encounter rate up to +100% when I just want to grind a bit.

Loving the game so far. Encounters where enemies do nothing but heal and/or put up protect spells on everything are so annoying though.

It's weird, my Ranger is the highest sustained DPS, does about 1400 damage per attack (10~14 hits) and I'm nearing the end of chapter 3. I cal also use Targeting to increase damage even more since my Ranger has Miscellany as a sub-ability and doesn't use MP.

Are you using Angel Bows? That speaks more to how overpowered the item is if you get it early more than anything else. And a lot of the bosses are humans, which really hurts the Ranger's usefulness.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just got the (ch 4 spoiler)
templar
job. Might stop progressing and level some of these new jobs up for a bit.

Baliis

Endgame spoilers for the
Dimension's Hasp
dungeon:
A shame you can't get the adventurer as an actual class, would've been kind neat. Was still a fun fight even if I was using super cheesy strategies for it.

demidar

Are you using Angel Bows? That speaks more to how overpowered the item is if you get it early more than anything else. And a lot of the bosses are humans, which really hurts the Ranger's usefulness.

Yeah, but even a Valkyrie with Lu Bu's Spear couldn't out damage him (and he had higher P. Atk), but his burst was much better (a waste on trash mobs though, 9999 damage is overkill). I figure once I get Ninja I'll switch Ranger out.

They do high sustained DPS though (maybe due to the Angel Bow). But yeah, Thieves are better bow wielders, since they get better skills.

Rangers don't even have the highest DPS anyway, that goes to either Ninjas (who also have evade hax) or Dark Knights (via Rage)
most of the other good classes have some stupid good abilities instead (i.e. Spiritmaster)

Ken

So uh, any tips for level 20 Belphegor?

My party is all level 26: Knight, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage.

Usually wipe after a few Firajas and Self-Destruct combo. I have Abate Fire and other defensive passives.

Busaiku

So uh, any tips for level 20 Belphegor?

My party is all level 26: Knight, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage.

Usually wipe after a few Firajas and Self-Destruct combo. I have Abate Fire and other defensive passives.

Get Examine, then use your Black Mage.
It goes Fire -> Water -> Lightning -> Fire (it doesn't necessarily start in that order, but whichever it's weak to first, use that, then follow up with the next, and so on.

Ken

Get Examine, then use your Black Mage.
It goes Fire -> Water -> Lightning -> Fire (it doesn't necessarily start in that order, but whichever it's weak to first, use that, then follow up with the next, and so on.

I know the rotation stuff but it's surviving I guess that is hard.

Anustart

Just wanted to pop in again to state how much I love this damn game. I haven't been this over-joyed to play a jRPG since either Final Fantasy 9, Dragon Quest 8 or Dragon Quest 9.

Now, I'm only in chapter 1 so I cannot speak of the main story line yet as I haven't experienced much of it, but I dunno if I've ever come across a side quest in a jrpg that I've liked as much as I did the
Profiteur/Thief quest
from Ancheim.

It added a lot to the world I'm exploring, as it seems like that something that could very well happen, and on top of that, I enjoy the voice acting so much in this game, and can't get enough of hearing people talk. The poor
thief from the quest from heart breaking in the situation he had been placed in.

I'm also having fun rebuilding Norende as well.

Then, we finally get to something that really sets this game over the edge for me, Party Chat. Sure, it's been done in other rpg's before, but not quite like this. The conversations that my team are having are just so damn believable and relevant. It's taking a world and breathing life into the characters to really make them seem as denizens of the world!

Perhaps I'm over-reacting to these small things, but this game is fucking brilliant.

MRGRGR.

Why can't I choose any support abilities? I have the following jobs open: freelancer, monk, white and black mage. I have the tutorial quest to choose an ability but when I go through that menu with those jobs, I don't have anything to select.

Baliis

Why can't I choose any support abilities? I have the following jobs open: freelancer, monk, white and black mage. I have the tutorial quest to choose an ability but when I go through that menu with those jobs, I don't have anything to select.

Did you level the jobs up high enough to unlock any?

Mattiator

Just started playing totally loving this game :). I got no friends so if anyone wants to add me my friend code is 5456-0680-7949, thanks.
I'm not the brightest and I'm guessing I need to add the persons friend code too? I'm new to the Nintendo friend system. If that's how it is anyone wanna be friends :).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just wanted to pop in again to state how much I love this damn game. I haven't been this over-joyed to play a jRPG since either Final Fantasy 9, Dragon Quest 8 or Dragon Quest 9.
Yeah I think DQ8 was the last JRPG to get me this involved. It's an odd feeling because in many ways it is more substantial than DQ8 and in many ways less. I'm trying to appreciate all the good that it offers rather than focus on and complain about missed potential.

Then, we finally get to something that really sets this game over the edge for me, Party Chat. Sure, it's been done in other rpg's before, but not quite like this. The conversations that my team are having are just so damn believable and relevant. It's taking a world and breathing life into the characters to really make them seem as denizens of the world!
This starts to fade into meaningless drivel, robotic-feeling stands, and running gags that aren't funny, but you still get some golden lines now and then.
I like how I wrote this after talking about not focusing on what is lacking.

Perhaps I'm over-reacting to these small things, but this game is fucking brilliant.
No, the small touches are really great wherever they are found and do take it up another notch or two. If it weren't for them I'd really be bothered by stuff like the limited sound design/music selection.
oh god i can't help myself

AAANYWAY I am 4 hours away from having the lvl9 item and special shops in Norende. Yay!

Velcro Fly

I have Ringabel as a Thief with whatever bow you find in a chest and he's wrecking random encounters. Just grinding up a little bit of money I suppose. I imagine if I bought the Angel Bow my problems below might not be such a big deal.

Tried to fight (Ch 1)
Chairman Profiteur and got super unlucky with having my healer die so quickly. Got targeted by Takeover and then Khint killed me
. Was only level 14 at the time so I suppose I can do more of the main story before coming back.

They're at level 2. At what level do I get support abilities?

Each job has a support ability unlock at a different level. You'll just have to keep leveling until you find one you like.

Just got
valkyrie
in Chapter 2. I decided to not use my thief to steal a certain good item from her, but instead though that with thief's gloves and spamming steal/mug that I'd be able to steal it. But I was wrong. Dead wrong. Now I beat her without having it. I mean I still have Lu Bu's spear I guess, but still :'(

Next time I need to steal an item I'm using thief, not taking chances.

Anustart

Question, I came across a locked chest in the like the final dungeon area of the starting area, and I think another one in the Ancheim area. How do I open these?

Velcro Fly

angel bow+100% encounter rate+auto battle+4X speed= being allowed to turn your brain off for hours and max your jobs in no time

Yeah I was watching a twitch stream while leveling and went from 14-18 in about a half hour just outside of town in Chapter 1. I stopped to put my 3DS into sleep mode while my townies are rebuilding. Kinda don't feel like breaking the game too much too soon. Plenty of time to shut my brain off when I'm maxing out everyone in all jobs :D

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Chapter 4 spoilers
Killed the fire dragon. I was wondering what those obelisks were for, and once he mentioned key stones it seemed pretty obvious. Spiritmaster was pretty useful for that fight, as were ninjas. Really hope the vampire class ends up being useful.

I think auto-battle is the one thing I refuse to use. I might consider it once I reach an area where everything is kicking my ass and I NEED to grind. So from what I hear that's chapter 3 or 4.

pikmin_trainer

Neo Member
Any tips on using Valkyrie? Just got it and changed Edea to one but they don't seem to hit very hard.

High Jump with everybody.

Hasten World Level 14 Time Mage support ability on someone.

As long as you are faster than the enemy they won't ever be able to damage you.

Top Bottom