• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

just got the true ending.

HOLY SHIT! ALL OF MY WAT!

lvl 99, all jobs maxed out, all sidequests done (yes, all of them and it fucking took forever), too lazy to do postgame but I've already done the tedious part. 58 hours but that's my fault. Too much time wasted.

don't even wanna look at this game right now. I'll do postgame tomorrow morning. I'm going back to Monster Hunter for the evening.

Was it worth bothering with the sidequests in chapter 5 on?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
just got the true ending.

HOLY SHIT! ALL OF MY WAT!

lvl 99, all jobs maxed out, all sidequests done (yes, all of them and it fucking took forever), too lazy to do postgame but I've already done the tedious part. 58 hours but that's my fault. Too much time wasted.

don't even wanna look at this game right now. I'll do postgame tomorrow morning. I'm going back to Monster Hunter for the evening.
You're crazy! lol

---

Also, I can't get that damn Elixir Mammon. I want easy money!

Zing

Banned
So do we actually have to press A for the health to appear? Because it seems like the weakness and type appear, but the health says ??? again. But I've never done more than press left.
Yes. On the screen you see when pressing circle pad left, it will just show weakness and ??? for HP. You must press A (or right on dpad) to see the stats and starting HP.

Really? That's weird. I swear I have examined monsters and later, I'd fight them again, and it wouldn't say how much HP they had... Hm.
It won't show the current HP of the enemy, but it shows all the stats, including the starting HP.

It won't show the current HP of the enemy, but it shows all the stats, including the starting HP.

Oh.. well, the HP is really what I examine enemies for most of the time (and to see weaknesses). Just to know how much HP they have left. xD Seeing their stats is useful, too of course.

bumpkin

So I attempted to fight
the owl/sorcerer/whatever after getting the summoner job in the cave on the way back to the sage. My whole party, dead in the first turn both times before I gave up and moved on.
WTF. Are they all like that? Am I missing something?

neoism

You get a lot more money/XP/JP in chapter 5. It takes a few minutes to level a class from 1 to 14. I'm not sure about gold because I am using a growth egg, but Rafflesia fights can give you 999 JP 12500 XP.

ibyKeN6FMdnlgk.gif

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So I attempted to fight
the owl/sorcerer/whatever after getting the summoner job in the cave on the way back to the sage. My whole party, dead in the first turn both times before I gave up and moved on.

You just have to survive the attack.

goblin

So I attempted to fight

You don't really fight him, per-se. All you have to do is survive that initial hit with at least one character and you'll learn the summon. Try and set up your party with Abate skills, Angelic Grace, Magic Defense, HP or whatever other abilities and equipment you think will help you stay alive.

Silvawuff

I'm about five hours in, and I'm loving this game so far. SE really hit the nail on the head in terms of presentation, design, and game play.

B.K.

Finally made it to chapter 4.

Victor and Victoria are a tough duo.
I need to go back to the world map and get all my Specials built back up. That might help.

Finally made it to chapter 4.

Victor and Victoria are a tough duo.
I need to go back to the world map and get all my Specials built back up. That might help.

use Reflect (Rings), it pretty much stops everything except Victoria's Doom spells

Zekes!

Yo guys, I need some 3DS friends, anyone want to add me? My FC is 0318-6783-8396.

I feel like I've spent more time on Norende than I have the main game

Velcro Fly

So yeah I broke the game (at least the early part!)

I just fought (ch1)
the Dragon
. I had my specials ready to go. Ringabel as a thief goes and hits him for a few thousand. Tiz as a merchant with Lu Bu's spear goes and crits him for over 7,000. I had to reload because I forgot to actually steal.

Decided to go ahead and level pirate up. She's already doing quite a bit of damage on DPS alone. I haven't had to try any specific skill yet so I don't know just yet how much stronger she is than before.

In fact I'm not even sure if Valkyrie with Pirate second class or vice versa is better.

Velcro Fly

I really hope this game sells well enough for us to get the second one. I don't even care if we have to wait a year after it gets released in Japan. Just so much fun.

I'm loving this game and probably spending wayyyyy too much time just grinding and leveling stuff (I wouldn't be surprised if I hit 58 hours like the guy earlier lol). Definitely going to go for 100% completion on this. So good.

However, Agnes sucks, and Tiz isn't really that great either. I'm not sure if it's the pitch or her inflection or what but whenever she has a lot of dialogue or a long speech I have to turn my volume down to zero because her voice is just that bad. I just got to the point at the very end of chapter 2 where
she learns that Edea is the daughter of the Eternian commander and starts saying that she can't trust her and that she might be a spy and stuff
and I'm just like "what?" How dumb can you be? The game should have just been the adventures of Ringabel and mrgrgr.

What gives, Chapter 3?
I restored the fire crystal and completed every side quest. Yet I'm still sailing all over the damn world to on gloried fetch quest plot advancements.

Finally got my copy. It's fantastic
outside of Chapter 5 and 6
. Been arguing for the past four hours with this girl I know about who the publisher of the NA/PAL release is. She won't believe for a second it's Nintendo.

Honestly the game would have been better if it had been about the story of Ringabel and Edea. But tropes dictate you need to have a relatable good guy, in this case Tiz, and the shy pretty girl.

The fact one of them isn't a tsundere surprises me. Japan.

Can anyone give me a good strat as far as equipment and job structure goes for Chapter 3? I've been facerolling because I grinded for the Angel Bow and switch all my guys to Thief and then later to Ranger and literally just 4x Brave and kill everything in a turn except for a few bosses on Auto. Heh, needless to say that doesn't really cut it in Chapter 3.

There are some bright spots but the writing in this game is kind of weak. It does humor pretty well (holy shit those innuendos in the intro chapter) but everything else... eh.

If it's true that the writing team changed innuendos to be more clever instead of blunt I fear what the Japanese Ringabel is like. Maybe his poetic nature over the love of ladies just transfers into "your boobs are so incredibly big"

Honestly the game would have been better if it had been about the story of Ringabel and Edea. But tropes dictate you need to have a relatable good guy, in this case Tiz, and the shy pretty girl.

The game kind of is about Ringabel and Edea, at least as far as it is character focused at all. Tiz is basically scenery for most of the game. Not that any of the writing in this game is particularly strong.

Jintor

Up to chapter 6, so far their story is way cooler than whatever shit agnes has going on

mstevens

Wasn't planning on picking this up for awhile, since I'm right in the middle of a Final Fantasy 7 play through... but there was one copy left at Target and it was begging to be bought.

edit: Oh cool, I'm not a junior member anymore!

Can anyone give me a good strat as far as equipment and job structure goes for Chapter 3? I've been facerolling because I grinded for the Angel Bow and switch all my guys to Thief and then later to Ranger and literally just 4x Brave and kill everything in a turn except for a few bosses on Auto. Heh, needless to say that doesn't really cut it in Chapter 3.

Agnes is basically the... what's her name from FFX. Yuna? Yeah basically the item the plot stems from, but nowhere near a good character.

Tiz is like early FF protagonists, just a guy who happens to be for the ride and ends up having some big role because reasons.

Edea and Ringabel's story has been done before. The romantic tale of a casanova and a girl who pretends she hates him. In fact it has been done many times. But their charm alone gives it freshness. Plus dat accordion.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I think they could tell a better story if they weren't chained to using crystals as a narrative device.

How far are you in?

Chapter 6-7 spoilers
Chained? The story is set up that way deliberately to lead into their lame twist.

Well, for random encounters you can start spamming Crescent Moon, esp if you've unlocked Lu Bu's spear. If you haven't already try to get a Magic Fencer leveled, they get their -ara class spells at pretty low levels and virtually every enemy is weak to SOMETHING. It's worth using even in random encounters. I'd keep at least one Thief, simply because they're virtually guaranteed to outspeed everyone else which is a lifesaver if you have characters ending turns in critical health.

Chapter 3 has a lot of very good jobs that give you excellent abilities at low levels. I'd recommend you do all the side quests as soon as they are available, there's not a single bad job in the bunch. The Pirate is the best damage dealer class yet, and gets great skills right off the bat. The Singer has strong party buffs and the ability to give BP to allies.

And the Salve-Maker is stupidly useful. His starting ability lets him essentially fuse two items to make a stronger one. The really essential combo is Phoenix+Potion (full revive). Other combos can make the enemy weak to an element, really good w/ Magic Fencers, etc.

Not much to say about equipment except obviously use the strongest. Make sure you steal from the Pirate boss; the axe you get is rather strong.

Biggest wall w/ Chapter 3 is the Fire Temple boss. Best advice I can give is to get a Singer to do +def buffs, and spam Salve-Maker attack items.

So, roughly around the start of Chapter 2 when
you have to go through the cave to get back to Yulyana
. Is it normal that there seems to be a massive difficulty spike at this point? Do I need to start grinding seriously now? I'd rather not go around customizing the difficulty during my first playthrough.

Top Bottom