• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Totally cheesing it using that sage's staff strategy right now and I wonder what level I'll be once I've gotten all my jobs up to the levels I want haha. It's pretty funny hearing people complaining about how hard bosses are that I completely annihilated without issue. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Who uses Examine?

I use examine for every boss battle. I just figure out beforehand if the boss has anything worth stealing and if not I'll give my Tiz, who has thief subclass, the freelancer subclass so I can examine. I'm gonna reach a point very soon where all of the subclasses I'll need so it'll be a decision on what I need the least.

It's very useful to use examine because you can use default 3 ->1, attack 4 times until you're at 0 and then examine the baddie. If by your estimation you can risk ending up at -4 with your main attackers because you're pretty sure you can beat him next round, that'd lessen chances of him killing one of your guys.

Totally cheesing it using that sage's staff strategy right now and I wonder what level I'll be once I've gotten all my jobs up to the levels I want haha. It's pretty funny hearing people complaining about how hard bosses are that I completely annihilated without issue. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

That's more of an issue of being overleveled and prepared than actual skills imho. I beat the red mage relatively easily because I was pretty high leveled and had read about his
charm
so I gave several of my party members items to fight that.

Sadist

Means you're pretty overleveled during that part of the game.

It will be even funnier when you guys reach the end of the game. Can't wait for the posts regarding a certain battle hehe.

KarmaCow

I don't understand the point of mindlessly over leveling to the point where you can just in turn mindlessly auto attack through the rest of the game. Turn based combat without tactical decision making is just boring and empty.

duckroll

How do you kill the
Belphegor
Nemesis? I tried physical attacks and that healed it, so I used magic and THAT healed it. I don't know how to do any damage to it.

Use examine to find out what it's current weakness is. Each time you hit the weakness it will rotate to the next one (Fire->Water->Lightning->Fire). Using any other attack will heal it. I suggest having a Spell Fencer and Mages handly.

goblin

What level are supposed to be for the Fire Temple boss? I thought the Water Temple boss was ridiculous but this is on another level.
I have no idea what type of attack Energy Blast is supposed to be but it kills everyone in my party at level 35, even with 150% p.def and m.def, defaulting, with shields on. Even when Angelic Ward kicked in, they would only be barely alive. If that wasn't bad enough, it drains BP, MP, and HP which will one shot any character if they aren't defending. Is there any way to do this without Valkyries with at least Spirit Barrier and a Salve-Maker to heal, revive and restore mp?
I went through all the ethers I got normally through the game and about 25 phoenix downs just to scrape by with a character dead. Though that character death with the 6000+ exp difference was enough to get me to get exp exactly even across characters.

I beat him around that level, too, I think. If you use Valkyries and make sure they're fast enough -- through Haste, accessories, abilities or whatever else -- you can make them jump so that they're in their air when he uses Energy Burst. You might have to fiddle with the speed of your characters to figure out the timing for this. The Monk's Pressure Point skill pierces his shield if you want to burn him down, but it's not available until Job Level 11 and unless you're Abilinked that's a tall order to grind up early on.

Energy Burst is physical and he always uses it at the same time, so it can be tanked through with the right armor, shields, +defense abilities, +150% Protect and Default. Also, the Pirate's Defang skill (JL10) can lower his Physical Attack to make it a bit weaker.

But by far the easiest way is to get the Compound Shop in Norende high enough to buy Fulmen Shards (I believe it's around Level 5), make all of your characters into Salve-Makers with Attack Item Amp (JL4) and compound Fulmen Shards non-stop. They only cost 200 pg each, he's weak to Lightning, and his shield doesn't block item attacks.

Well I'm not meaning to be overleveled. It's just a thing that happens when I'm trying to get JP and I don't want to turn off getting xp. In my opinion considering the vast number of jobs and skills available they should have made JP more abundant. If you're trying to get all your jobs leveled up its pretty much impossible to not get overleveled, especially when you start sweeping monsters and getting oodles of bonus xp.

Doombear

I don't understand the point of mindlessly over leveling to the point where you can just in turn mindlessly auto attack through the rest of the game. Turn based combat without tactical decision making is just boring and empty.

To each their own? That said, I COMPLETELY agree with you. My friend is like this. He mindlessly grinds while watching television. He did it with P4G and is playing this the same way. This game is even easier to just set and forget too. I just don't... I don't get it.

I like to have to figure out how to deal with the bosses, and take the hurdles in stride. I just do not have fun steamrolling everything in my path. Like I said, though, to each their own.

Baliis

It will be even funnier when you guys reach the end of the game. Can't wait for the posts regarding a certain battle hehe.

Which battle? I had a little bit of trouble with the fight right before the last, but only really because it had a good counter to my strategy.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I actually got a couple streetpasses for this game. A little surprised considering it's new and I live in nowheresville

KarmaCow

I beat him around that level, too, I think. If you use Valkyries and make sure they're fast enough -- through Haste, accessories, abilities or whatever else -- you can make them jump so that they're in their air when he uses Energy Burst. You might have to fiddle with the speed of your characters to figure out the timing for this. The Monk's Pressure Point skill pierces his shield if you want to burn him down, but it's not available until Job Level 11 and unless you're Abilinked that's a tall order to grind up early on.

Energy Burst is physical and he always uses it at the same time, so it can be tanked through with the right armor, shields, +defense abilities, +150% Protect and Default. Also, the Pirate's Defang skill (JL10) can lower his Physical Attack to make it a bit weaker.

But by far the easiest way is to get the Compound Shop in Norende high enough to buy Fulmen Shards (I believe it's around Level 5), make all of your characters into Salve-Makers with Attack Item Amp (JL4) and compound Fulmen Shards non-stop. They only cost 200 pg each, he's weak to Lightning, and his shield doesn't block item attacks.

I tried tanking the Energy Blast but nothing worked and Jump only works when he hasn't stolen BP beforehand. Otherwise he will unload on a party decimated by the Energy Blast. Defang probably would have made things easier but I've been spreading around my JP too much to have any job at level 10.

That Salve Maker strategy sounds interesting though. I only recently started levelling a Salve Maker but it makes sense that item attacks pierce defense considering the Qada fight.

Well I'm not meaning to be overleveled. It's just a thing that happens when I'm trying to get JP and I don't want to turn off getting xp. In my opinion considering the vast number of jobs and skills available they should have made JP more abundant. If you're trying to get all your jobs leveled up its pretty much impossible to not get overleveled, especially when you start sweeping monsters and getting oodles of bonus xp.

The JP per battle seems to steadly increase as you progress, just like exp. You're aren't meant to have maxed out jobs early on, you need to make choices about what classes to invest in.

To each their own? That said, I COMPLETELY agree with you. My friend is like this. He mindlessly grinds while watching television. He did it with P4G and is playing this the same way. This game is even easier to just set and forget too. I just don't... I don't get it.

I like to have to figure out how to deal with the bosses, and take the hurdles in stride. I just do not have fun steamrolling everything in my path. Like I said, though, to each their own.

People are free to what they want, especially since the game so readily lets you break it but I just don't get why someone would deprive themselves of playing the game.

ohlawd

which one? I'm guessing.. *MASSIVE SPOILERS, DON'T TOUCH, HAZARDOUS! After Chapter 8 stuff*

Airy? She had me going with her status ailment but not too difficult. I didn't fear her elemental exploitation either.

Well the OCD in me doesn't want for me to leave any job untouched, and I'd be worried that I would be missing out on useful abilities if I didn't raise them all to see my options.

It doesn't help that this is the most grind-friendly game ever made haha. I'll just take 15 minute breaks from my work to level jobs a bit, and it eventually adds up. I don't normally do this for RPGs but this time it just kind of happened.

Fandangox

Chapter 3.
The Fire Crystal Boss, The Swordmaster, and Ninja Boss battles were really easy compared to the other boss battles. Qada was a pain, but once you got the timing down it was basically battle of endurance.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I couldn't find a North American reviews thread.

I got the latest issue of GameInformer in the mail and I see they gave it an 8 which surprised me as I expected higher.

They mention a lot of pointless banter which, imo, seems to be inherent in most JRPGs.

Lots of backtracking. I'm okay with this. I actually kind of like games with backtracking.

You can turn off random encounters? That's awesome news especially considering it uses the old school invisible encounters system.

"The story finally starts to get interesting around the 30-hour mark...." Nice. So now I know this is a lengthy game.

It says if you want to see the true ending, you must go through the same cycle of main dungeons five times. I guess that would be a "negative" but I'm not exactly sure what they mean by this. You have to repeat every single main dungeon five times each?

All in all, this game sounds so good. Man, I miss overworld traveling and towns and dungeons and traditional JRPG tropes. I'm not one to hop onto hype trains on GAF, but this train hopefully has room for me as well.

Anyways, my copy just shipped from Amazon. It was a gift from a very sweet person. People get roses and candy and sex for Valentine's Day, but I'll get Bravely Default which is probably just as good, if not better, than sex.

I got the latest issue of GameInformer in the mail and I see they gave it an 8 which surprised me as I expected higher.

They mention a lot of pointless banter which, imo, seems to be inherent in most JRPGs.

Lots of backtracking. I'm okay with this. I actually kind of like games with backtracking.

You can turn off random encounters? That's awesome news especially considering it uses the old school invisible encounters system.

"The story finally starts to get interesting around the 30-hour mark...." Nice. So now I know this is a lengthy game.

It says if you want to see the true ending, you must go through the same cycle of main dungeons five times. I guess that would be a "negative" but I'm not exactly sure what they mean by this. You have to repeat every single main dungeon five times each?

All in all, this game sounds so good. Man, I miss overworld traveling and towns and dungeons and traditional JRPG tropes. I'm not one to hop onto hype trains on GAF, but this train hopefully has room for me as well.

Anyways, my copy just shipped from Amazon. It was a gift from a very sweet person. People get roses and candy and sex for Valentine's Day, but I'll get Bravely Default which is probably just as good, if not better, than sex.

Haha in all fairness, it seems like you're taking all of the valid criticisms and rationalizing them. The story does take its sweet ass time getting going, and never really becomes anything magnificent anyway.

I personally love the game, but speaking purely objectively, it has its share of problems and quirks.

The game is very grind-easy and rewards you for getting over battles quickly. I know it's tempting to max out every race at the beginning but that's honeslty such a major waste of time considering the amount of jp you're getting, when you can do so much easier at later chapters (apparently). I would personally suggest to max the classes you care about until level 9, then don't bother going forward until you get to fights that give you a decent amount of JP.

But as long as you're enjoying the game, it's up to you. I'm also quite overleveled and haven't really struggled with a boss fight besides the occasional having to revive a party member. I'm enjoying the game for many other reasons, not difficulty. I feel some of the folks responding are saying "you're welcome to play as you want, but the way you do it disgusts me". There is no right way to play rpgs. Some play them for the challenge, others do so for the story. That's the difference between somebody choosing hard vs somebody doing normal/easy. I personally play them for the story so if I spend a bit more time grinding than others so I can 'steamroll' through enemies and get to more story who cares?

Jintor

Oh yeah - does anybody know why the fuck there's a mysterious fox in this game?

I mean, I'm not complaining or anything, but it's just kind of hilariously contextless. (Like the traveller save point, I guess.)

YIP YAP YIP ALL YO YENS

Darkmakaimura

Haha in all fairness, it seems like you're taking all of the valid criticisms and rationalizing them. The story does take its sweet ass time getting going, and never really becomes anything magnificent anyway.

I personally love the game, but speaking purely objectively, it has its share of problems and quirks.
Nowhere did I ever say they weren't valid criticisms. I'm saying that some of the criticism is stuff that doesn't bother me, like backtracking. Lots of JRPGs have constant pointless banter too and unless it goes on and on and on and on (like Trails in the Sky, another fantastic JRPG) it normally doesn't annoy me.

The only one that "bothers" me would be the repeating the dungeons five times each. I like backtracking but that may be a bit overboard, although that depends on what they actually mean.

I looked at this game on YouTube and everything I saw, I loved. Never really expected to own the game, at least not so soon but received it as a gift.

So there's a sequel on the way, eh? Is there any information on that or is it just mentioned in-name?

Nowhere did I ever say they weren't valid criticisms. I'm saying that some of the criticism is stuff that doesn't bother me, like backtracking. Lots of JRPGs have constant pointless banter too and unless it goes on and on and on and on (like Trails in the Sky, another fantastic JRPG) it normally doesn't annoy me.

The only one that "bothers" me would be the repeating the dungeons five times each. I like backtracking but that may be a bit overboard, although that depends on what they actually mean.

I looked at this game on YouTube and everything I saw, I loved. Never really expected to own the game, at least not so soon but received it as a gift.

So there's a sequel on the way, eh? Is there any information on that or is it just mentioned in-name?

There's a teaser for the sequel at the end of this game. I think you need to get the true ending. It's already been announced and is being worked on. It'll release in Japan for sure. Whether Nintendo localizes it to the West depends on sales. Apparently Europe sales were pretty lackluster, so they might not be bringing it there again. US sales so far seem decent but it just came out and no announcement has been made. Amazon sales shows it being like top 5 in video games. That's a decent feat. I hope we get the sequel brought to the west.

goblin

You have to repeat the four main dungeons five times each, and fight more powerful versions of the same bosses each time. If you don't mind or enjoy backtracking (or retreading, more specifically) then it should be fine. Also, to be fair, if you shut off random encounters they go by at a decent clip.

The game is very grind-easy and rewards you for getting over battles quickly. I know it's tempting to max out every race at the beginning but that's honeslty such a major waste of time considering the amount of jp you're getting, when you can do so much easier at later chapters (apparently). I would personally suggest to max the classes you care about until level 9, then don't bother going forward until you get to fights that give you a decent amount of JP.

I'd also recommend not really grinding (unless you enjoy it!) more than you feel you need to until Chapter 5+ and just trying to save up for the eggs instead. The ease and efficiency with which you can grind massive amounts of anything later in the game makes any extensive grinding beforehand seem like, yeah, a major waste of time.

JLeack

Banned
Spoilers for chapter 3:

How do I kill pikemen? I'm level 37 and doing fine but when I attack these guys they counter and murder me. I essentially kill myself.

Baliis

I mean, I'm not complaining or anything, but it's just kind of hilariously contextless. (Like the traveller save point, I guess.)

YIP YAP YIP ALL YO YENS

The fox is
the adventurers companion, so it kind of makes sense that they're equally contextless

You have to repeat the four main dungeons five times each, and fight more powerful versions of the same bosses each time. If you don't mind or enjoy backtracking (or retreading, more specifically) then it should be fine. Also, to be fair, if you shut off random encounters they go by at a decent clip.

So in each dungeon there is only one boss to fight? that doesn't seem to bad. how many battles per dungeon am i looking at?

Darkmakaimura

There's a teaser for the sequel at the end of this game. I think you need to get the true ending. It's already been announced and is being worked on. It'll release in Japan for sure. Whether Nintendo localizes it to the West depends on sales. Apparently Europe sales were pretty lackluster, so they might not be bringing it there again. US sales so far seem decent but it just came out and no announcement has been made. Amazon sales shows it being like top 5 in video games. That's a decent feat. I hope we get the sequel brought to the west.
Bless their souls. I only hope Square and the specific developers the very best on this game. Its more than deserved the top 5 there.

I wonder if they'll ever give Square the incentive of making a Final Fantasy game in the same type as Bravely Default again?

goblin

So in each dungeon there is only one boss to fight? that doesn't seem to bad. how many battles per dungeon am i looking at?

Yup. With random encounters off you're looking at one battle per dungeon -- the boss. The dungeons themselves vary in length, but they're not too long. I won't say it doesn't get tedious, though.

Wilsongt

YIP YAP YIP ALL YO YENS

They're both from 4 warriors of light.

Is there any reason to have a (chapter 3)
Performer
be the main job on bosses or anything? Are the
songs
the same potency when as a subjob? Just curious.

Bless their souls. I only hope Square and the specific developers the very best on this game. Its more than deserved the top 5 there.

I wonder if they'll ever give Square the incentive of making a Final Fantasy game in the same type as Bravely Default again?

Maybe. Though I'm very much looking forward to FFXV.

Also I wouldn't call victory just yet. Remember that Squeenix has some crazy high expectations for how many copies a game needs to sell if they consider it a success. I think Tomb Raider and Deus Ex sold a 1 million+, maybe even 2 million or more and squeenix said "meh"

Is there any reason to have a (chapter 3)
Performer
be the main job on bosses or anything? Are the
songs
the same potency when as a subjob? Just curious.
The main reason would be the passive of it. It makes all of the skills of that class cost half as much. So if you did them as a secondary job they'd be costing you like 30+ per buffer/debuffer.

Anustart

Some of you guys' levels are nuts! I'm in chapter 2 at level 20 I think and I see some of you are upwards of level 58 around this time!!

The main reason would be the passive of it. It makes all of the skills of that class cost half as much. So if you did them as a secondary job they'd be costing you like 30+ per buffer/debuffer.

They have the same potency but the
Performer
default skill reduces its MP cost by 1/2

That's what I figured, I saw that passive. Unless the fight is incredibly long, I can't imagine 30mp per buff would really be that big of a deal.

Funny you mention getting to level 9, that's exactly what I'm doing right now. And I realize that I wasted a ton of time grinding JP earlier on shitty enemies that don't provide much.

Fandangox

yea... currently on phone.

A dedicated healer with dispel and raise/cura will help a lot. I had a Red Mage with White Magic Level 4 as sub ability. I had poison nullifying rings on everyone except the Red Mage (so if the red mage got poisoned I would get extra brave turns with one of the support abilities.

You have to keep the timing down, use Dispel when he casts regen on himself. Attack him before he uses the Dark bomb that deals damage=to his lost HP. That will always be a one hit kill to a party member so just use your healer to bring back whoever got KO'd or use items if the healer got KO'd instead.

I'm a little confused about something. I streetpassed like 10 people in the MiiPlaza, yet when I booted up BD, I only got 1 new villager. Do the people I streetpass have to have BD suspended for them to be added to my village or something?

Fandangox

I'm a little confused about something. I streetpassed like 10 people in the MiiPlaza, yet when I booted up BD, I only got 1 new villager. Do the people I streetpass have to have BD suspended for them to be added to my village or something?

They have to be playing BD when you street pass them to get new villagers.

Top Bottom