• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Does anyone else think Abilinks ruin the game? Especially if you have them post-20 villager exploit. You just have access to too much good shit, too soon. Having every possible job be level 14 in chapter 2 feels wrong and just overwhelms the overkill factor. Maybe I'll change my mind down the line.

Damn, that Sage Staff + (Ch3 location)
Grapp Keep
"trick" is really great for where you are in the story. Especially if you have the Growth Egg. Generally, you get like 135~180JP per battle and it's really quick. Makes leveling these new jobs MUCH faster. I know that's probably nothing compared to later in the game, but still nice now.

shtkn

yea... currently on phone.
my strategy was
have all party members as thief + 2 hand skill + lv 4 thief skill life thief + performer sub skill love power. he has terrible physical defense, so each character should be able to gain around 1000 life each time you attack. spam that and phoenix down whenever he uses dark bomb and you should be able to win by attrition. i think i used about 5 phoenix downs, and i didn't have dispel at the time, but that would make it go even faster

ohlawd

Does anyone else think Abilinks ruin the game? Especially if you have them post-20 villager exploit. You just have access to too much good shit, too soon. Having every possible job be level 14 in chapter 2 feels wrong and just overwhelms the overkill factor. Maybe I'll change my mind down the line.
yeah I got that feeling, too. People on my friend's list only went to 8 for most skills but the reeeeally good shit comes at later levels.

spiritfox, you here? I bet you're using me as one of your links :p

Delio

Er...so (Ch3 spoilers)
Ringabel is the dark knight?
That little cutscene was either leading me off the wrong path or just straight foreward.

Fandangox

Er...so (Ch3 spoilers)
That little cutscene was either leading me off the wrong path or just straight foreward.

I noticed that too, seemed to obvious a detail to miss (plus he was absent when Artemis fought the party) I think it might be a red herring, but I am not sure.

Spoilers for an scene you might have not seen yet:

He later reveals who the woman who apparently hit him is, so he might be telling the truth about that.

I kind of feel the same way. I have only used them once so far and that was just as a way to make money with Merchant. I have them all turned off right now - I'd rather earn them myself.

Er...so (Ch3 spoilers)

I talked about that a few pages ago.
They make it seem so incredibly obvious, don't they? I don't know how it's gonna play out, but I already had that suspicion back in Chapter 1 (or 2, forget which) when Ringabel goes for some "rest" while on the boat, then suddenly Alternis appears like 5s later. Maybe they just thought it was a good way to have a scene transition (both people being hurt, but by different things) and they aren't related at all?

I tried it for a little bit in ch.1 and absolutely. I turned it off since and feel better for it.

Delio

I noticed that too, seemed to obvious a detail to miss (plus he was absent when Artemis fought the party) I think it might be a red herring, but I am not sure.

Spoilers for an scene you might have not seen yet:

He later reveals who the woman who apparently hit him is, so he might be telling the truth about that.

I see. Maybe he is telling the truth.

I kind of feel the same way. I have only used them once so far and that was just as a way to make money with Merchant. I have them all turned off right now - I'd rather earn them myself.

I talked about that a few pages ago.
They make it seem so incredibly obvious, don't they? I don't know how it's gonna play out, but I already had that suspicion back in Chapter 1 (or 2, forget which) when Ringabel goes for some "rest" while on the boat, then suddenly Alternis appears like 5s later. Maybe they just thought it was a good way to have a scene transition (both people being hurt, but by different things) and they aren't related at all?

Maybe but then there are so many glaring things sticking out to me. That scene, the Airship scene when the knight attacked, Also his book which if im remembering correctly looks similar to a book we snatched from one of the generals we took down before.

I am sure that people asked a few times but I could not find an answer quickly with the search function.

I just got the game (just can't wait to play!) but I am still not done with the demo. Does it worth it to complete the demo entirely or I should just skip the rest and start the real game right away?

Thanks!

duckroll

Oh boy, I'm at the beginning parts of Chapter 4, and I'm rebuilding my party. Trying out stuff like Pirate, Ninja, and Salve Maker. Pretty cool stuff!

I tried mixing Tiz's extensive Spell Fencer skills with Pirate, and got really good results so far. With enemies who have elemental weaknesses, he can really smash them hard, especially with the two-handed skill.

With Ringabel, I gave him Bow Lore so he could keep the combat playstyle of a Ranger, I put a few job levels into Salve-maker to get several good item skills, and I mixed that command with the Ninja job, and now he can evade, heal/revive with item mixing, etc.

I decided to drop Agnes' full mage playstyle for some Ninja fun, and mixed in a few abilities of the Red Mage for BP boosting when evading. Working out pretty well too. This could certainly be a ton of fun. I'm considering swapping it back (Red Mage w/ Ninja commands) later if I need a real mage who can also self-evade and get free BP. :)

Poor Edea is stuck as a Valkyrie. Maybe forever. It just works too well on her. Lol.

Fandangox

I am sure that people asked a few times but I could not find an answer quickly with the search function.

I just got the game (just can't wait to play!) but I am still not done with the demo. Does it worth it to complete the demo entirely or I should just skip the rest and start the real game right away?

Thanks!

Nah, just move on to the game, the most you get is some equipment that gets outclassed early on and whatever amount of villagers you had at the time.

Vamphuntr

Finally beat it and got the true ending. The second "half" of the game
Chapter 6-7-8
really soured the experience for me. It was really tedious and boring. Thank
god for the no encounters and fast forward options or else I would not have bothered to complete it for the true ending. Especially for Chapter
7 Where nothing happened plotwise and all the sidequests bosses encounters are completely non sensical

Hopefully the don't design the sequel like that.

Poor Edea is stuck as a Valkyrie. Maybe forever. It just works too well on her. Lol.

I initially had Edea as my main Black Mage for the first 2 chapters, but I switched her over to Valkyrie as well. She's really awesome at it, and I think fits her character fairly well.

This is one of the best JRPG in some time.

Just reached chapter 4. Ninja (and Samurai to a less extent) opened a few deadly combinations. Finally I can recreate what I did on the demo.

Before I head to fire temple I want to come prepared with a
salve-maker
. Quick question: Does Shadowflare work on bosses? The description I'm finding is that it does 5000 HP damage to the target. If so I'm not terribly far away from getting demon tail and dragon fang from my compound shop and being able to mix them. Isn't this a bit game breaking? Depending how expensive each one is, I could literally make a shitload and use them against bosses from now on.

Also as of right now, Edea as pirate with subclass Valkyrie is kicking ass. I don't know if I should switch to Valkyrie since it has more accuracy, or stick with pirate and give her accuracy

Before I head to fire temple I want to come prepared with a
salve-maker
. Quick question: Does Shadowflare work on bosses? The description I'm finding is that it does 5000 HP damage to the target. If so I'm not terribly far away from getting demon tail and dragon fang from my compound shop and being able to mix them. Isn't this a bit game breaking? Depending how expensive each one is, I could literally make a shitload and use them against bosses from now on.

While demon tails are a reasonable 500, dragon fangs are 5k. So far I've only been able to get one without using Norende, as a steal from a boss.

...this is probably still less broken than the Chemist in FF5.

Thank
god for the no encounters and fast forward options or else I would not have bothered to complete it for the true ending.

The difficulty setting also helped me get through it. Setting it to easy just made it go so much faster and meant no more grinding (once the good jobs are maxed out, it is very tedious).

Is the Ranger job considered bad? Cause I'm having lots of fun using it. Also where is the higher level black sage magic attacks?

All the jobs can be pretty OP at some point, it is just that the Ranger has less options than others.

While demon tails are a reasonable 500, dragon fangs are 5k. So far I've only been able to get one without using Norende, as a steal from a boss.

...this is probably still less broken than the Chemist in FF5.

5K would be pretty steep... if I hadn't grinded with a merchant beforehand and have way more money than I'll ever need. I think I'll go up to dragon fang, make a couple of the shadowflares and attempt to beat the fire temple boss without any cheap trick first. If he kicks my ass, then all bets are off and I'm spamming them shadowflares lol

Is the Ranger job considered bad? Cause I'm having lots of fun using it. Also where is the higher level black sage magic attacks?

Is pretty useful on fights were targets have high evasion. But I consider their abilities a waste, using elemental weaknesses if possible is way more useful.

Delio

Man Turn Tables yass. Just need ninja and i can start cheesing things again. Also Sword Magic with Valkrie is fun @_@

Man Turn Tables yass. Just need ninja and i can start cheesing things again. Also Sword Magic with Valkrie is fun @_@

Oh. I didn't even realize I had this. I'm making a ninja, why in the hell have I not leveled up my future ninja for this? Starting that right now, thanks for the heads up.

Anustart

So, unless there's an outfit that makes him look more like a ladies man, Ringabel is probably going to be a permanent
merchant
, because he looks like a damn lady killer in that outfit!!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So, unless there's an outfit that makes him look more like a ladies man, Ringabel is probably going to be a permanent
merchant
, because he looks like a damn lady killer in that outfit!!

make the ladies a
Sword fencer
and he become a pimp

duckroll

5K would be pretty steep... if I hadn't grinded with a merchant beforehand and have way more money than I'll ever need. I think I'll go up to dragon fang, make a couple of the shadowflares and attempt to beat the fire temple boss without any cheap trick first. If he kicks my ass, then all bets are off and I'm spamming them shadowflares lol

5000 damage for an expensive one use item doesn't seem all that useful when normal attacks and skills at that point of the game can do at least half, or possible even more than that. One high-jump can dish out 4000-6000 damage easily. Normal attacks should do at least 1500, with criticals going up to 4000 damage. When you factor in Special Moves and the buffs/debuffs they bring in, that makes 5000 confirmed damage from an item kinda pointless.

5000 damage for an expensive one use item doesn't seem all that useful when normal attacks and skills at that point of the game can do at least half, or possible even more than that. One high-jump can dish out 4000-6000 damage easily. Normal attacks should do at least 1500, with criticals going up to 4000 damage. When you factor in Special Moves and the buffs/debuffs they bring in, that makes 5000 confirmed damage from an item kinda pointless.

Very true. I guess I was thinking ahead since I've read about
the high magical and physical defense
of the fire temple boss.

duckroll

Very true. I guess I was thinking ahead since I've read about
the high magical and physical defense
of the fire temple boss.

It's not what you think it is. I don't think using items will overcome the challenge of the boss at all, because it's more about learning the pattern, building a party to deal with each step of the pattern, and knowing how and when to dish out the damage without getting wiped.

I feel like a lot of things ruined the game for me, though a lot of it is my own fault. I finished rebuilding Norende in like Chapter 2 because I used a MAC cycler and a home streetpass point. The weapons you get from it are not only way overpowered for the time you get them, but they force you into certain jobs and builds to best exploit them and made me obsessed with earning money, which funneled me even further toward a specific team makeup. I also had my encounter rate set at +100% the entire time, since I'm playing on Hard and was concerned about levels. I'm currently level 70 at the beginning of chapter 4, which based on how long I recently learned the game is, is a bit overleveled. I also have every available job up to level 9 or higher.

I almost want to restart the game and play it "right", completely ignoring all the game breaking social stuff and building teams in a way that actually makes sense rather than building teams so that I can set battles to auto and still get four Thief's Blade muggings, unscathed, and one-turn victory while carrying as many caster jobs to level as I can manage given the area. This was its own sort of fun, but not that fun to actually play.

B.K.

Chapter 4 sidequest spoilers

The
Vampire
job quest is going to be hard. Does it ever expire? I'm going to have to train before I can do it.
The first dragon killed my team in two turns.

I find terribly ineficient lvling jobs so early on the game. You got like what 15-20 job exp on Chapter 2? You get 30-60 and up to 90 on Chapter 3.

First fight on chapter 4 grant me like 130 points. As long you keep switching jobs and trying them you can easily have several jobs at 8-9 lvl on Chapter 4 without enduring gargatuan grinding sessions, which honestly is enough to play with combinations and skills.

Vamphuntr

Chapter 4 sidequest spoilers

The
Vampire
job quest is going to be hard. Does it ever expire? I'm going to have to train before I can do it.
The first dragon killed my team in two turns.

You have another chance later on I think but they will be stronger. The breaths are physical attacks so you can dodge them with the Ninja Usesumi or block them with the Templar's Rampart. If you give everyone Turn Tables and Ninjitsu they can't hit you while you gain BP. Just use Rampart to as an added precaution.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
You have another chance later on I think but they will be stronger. The breaths are physical attacks so you can dodge them with the Ninja Usesumi or block them with the Templar's Rampart. If you give everyone Turn Tables and Ninjitsu they can't hit you while you gain BP. Just use Rampart to as an added precaution.

That's what I did. Utsusemi+turn tables+counter amp+comeback kid+transience. Sword magic for the exploitable ones.

Just picked this up through Amazon, I hope I like it, Im a little worried about the battle system, not sure if I will enjoy the whole brave/ default aspect, ugh, I hope so.

I find terribly ineficient lvling jobs so early on the game. You got like what 15-20 job exp on Chapter 2? You get 30-60 and up to 90 on Chapter 3.

First fight on chapter 4 grant me like 130 points. As long you keep switching jobs and trying them you can easily have several jobs at 8-9 lvl on Chapter 4 without enduring gargatuan grinding sessions, which honestly is enough to play with combinations and skills.

It's also pretty pointless early in the game, since you don't have enough passive slots to really take advantage of having several high level jobs anyway.

Anustart

My problem when it comes to leveling jobs is this:

So I'm in a certain job for each character, and after every job level up, I'm like "Ok, that's a decent/worthless/great ability I just learned! I should change jobs to see if I can get some good synergies going on! But wait! I bet the next level up in this job is going to bring an ability that's utterly insane! I better stick with one!"

I guess I could look at a guide to see what jobs learn what abilities, but I'd rather not.

Matriox

Just picked this up through Amazon, I hope I like it, Im a little worried about the battle system, not sure if I will enjoy the whole brave/ default aspect, ugh, I hope so.

Have you ever played a game with a similar battle system? The brave/default system really just builds on it and just slightly changes the formula, in a good way.

Top Bottom