• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Anustart

Have you ever played a game with a similar battle system? The brave/default system really just builds on it and just slightly changes the formula, in a good way.

I wish there was a bit more depth to the brave/default system.

Something like you get a power boost for every time you default, to make it more worth while to actually save up instead of spending beforehand and then waiting for it to recharge.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Gonna nuke the 3rd boss

tumblr_m5ky76jbbu1qihmkko1_500.gif

Matriox

Something like you get a power boost for every time you default, to make it more worth while to actually save up instead of spending beforehand and then waiting for it to recharge.

You've gotta be smarter about it past chapter 2ish, and also assuming you havn't been grinding. Good way to get your team murdered if you're stuck regen'ing BP while the enemy is going before your healer can recover the damage. I think its a good change that isnt too different from what I love about the battle system in similar games.

Defaultingly Brave friends, I am stumped on something and ask for your help.

My Agnes does poor damage all around for reasons I can't figure out. Both in physical roles. Even where she currently is, as a black mage, her MAtk is higher than my white mage(Tiz) but she deals significantly less damage casting the same spells on the same enemies(like, right now she does about 2/3 what Tiz does, again despite her MATk being 29 to his 20). She doesn't have anything unique equipped and I've tried messing around with her equipment. Honestly don't know what I'm missing that's causing this.

macklelol

My Agnes does poor damage all around for reasons I can't figure out. Both in physical roles. Even where she currently is, as a black mage, her MAtk is higher than my white mage(Tiz) but she deals significantly less damage casting the same spells on the same enemies(like, right now she does about 2/3 what Tiz does, again despite her MATk being 29 to his 20). She doesn't have anything unique equipped and I've tried messing around with her equipment. Honestly don't know what I'm missing that's causing this.
Is your job levels low? Job levels makes a huge difference.

Lexxism

Wow. Looks like the boss at water vestal is surprisingly hard. I don't know if monk, knight, thied and white mage are enough to beat these two.

KHlover

Banned

What's the job level of each mage? They make a HUGE difference.

Velcro Fly

Can't decide if I should have two physical attackers, my healer/caster, and an offensive caster or convert the offensive caster to something else physical. Only at the end of chapter 1 though so I guess I have some time to figure things out

Velcro Fly

I think in a few more days I'll have Norende fully rebuilt. Everything is at level 8 right now. Even with 42 townies it is taking over an hour to level up a building once. Although when I go to sleep I can distribute my townies to rebuild 4-5 things while I sleep.

I do believe I will be starting Chapter 2 later!

Well Chapter 3 is a turning point of sorts. First time I just plain turned off random encounters since I couldn't be arsed to deal with them. The path to the Fire Temple is a huge pain in the butt and combined with the enemies in there...just yuck. I had no need for the xp anyway. The sidequest for the job in this chapter is also a completely needless waste of time. I started to feel like I wasn't getting anywhere with the time being put in.

It also has the first bosses requiring me to actually do things like defend someone else with the Knight (crazy, right?).

man chapter 4 temple is another difficulty spike, no more crescent moon auto battling for me. Have to rework my party into my general boss killer party to take down these defaulting rushers

tempted to just turn off random encounters and finish the damn thing

Seriously how I feel...

But then I'll feel like I'm cheating!

Exactly what I have, but that damn dark flow thing or whatever destroys my dudes.

You probably grinded already too
if you did, throw reflect on all your dudes then groupcast on your whole party

Fandangox

Defaulting makes you receive half(?) the damage of an attack. Some boss battles later depend a lot on good timed defaults and braves.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
ch 4 class related stuffs
Took a break to find some genomes. Some of them are pretty cool. White wind seems to heal a lot, though I'm sure the usefulness of a lot of these will wane as I progress (which is how it usually seems with blue mages :/). I also appreciate that the encyclopedia tells you which enemies actually have an ability you can grab too.

So uh.... yeah.

People were hyping up the fire temple boss too much. With the right skills he was a breeze. What a childishly simplistic pattern. Then he got to 10% off his health and I nuked him with valkyrie, problem solved.

But besides that dissapointment I had some good news

v6bhfFE.png

MODA. FUCKING.
NINJA

Anustart

Defaulting makes you receive half(?) the damage of an attack. Some boss battles later depend a lot on good timed defaults and braves.

Yeah, forgot about that benefit!

Still think you should get a slight damage boost for defaulting then attacking rather than attacking and then recharging. As it is now, random battles consist of me hitting L 3 times on each character and attacking. Though I guess the alternative of saving up first then attacking would make random battles much too slow. I'm truly thankful that SE had the foresight to allow us to permanently set fast forward on battles. Haven't looked back since i maxed out battle speed in the very beginning of the game.

Still think you should get a slight damage boost for defaulting then attacking rather than attacking and then recharging. As it is now, random battles consist of me hitting L 3 times on each character and attacking. Though I guess the alternative of saving up first then attacking would make random battles much too slow. I'm truly thankful that SE had the foresight to allow us to permanently set fast forward on battles. Haven't looked back since i maxed out battle speed in the very beginning of the game.

the ability to brave 4 times for each character and then auto-battle at max speed makes random battles a minor annoyance. And grinding less of a hassle.

duckroll

There's surprisingly much more depth to the system than it first appears. There are multiple mechanics with regards to the Brave/Default system which aren't obvious until the game really gets going. Default on its own has many, many advantages - it's basically the "block" command, it stores up an extra action you can use later without penalty, and it prevents you from going into the red.

How much BP you and the enemies have also determines if you could possibly have a full other turn before the enemy can act again, or vice versa. Ending a turn with negative BP while the other side has positive or 0 BP will mean an entire turn where that character is vulnerable to attacks without being able to block at all.

There are also skills which use BP instead of MP, and skills/abilities which play around with BP in interesting ways, like providing bonus BP when certain conditions are met, or using BP as a means of determining bonuses.

Fandangox

Nah I think it would be a bit broken on the player's favor if defaulting also boosted attack on top of making you receive less damage. I think its very balanced like it is now. Random encounters aren't very challenging, but boss battles in chapter 2 and 3 force you to mix up jobs and defulting/braving with good timing.

Vamphuntr

ch 4 class related stuffs
Took a break to find some genomes. Some of them are pretty cool. White wind seems to heal a lot, though I'm sure the usefulness of a lot of these will wane as I progress (which is how it usually seems with blue mages :/). I also appreciate that the encyclopedia tells you which enemies actually have an ability you can grab too.

The job skills you get are more useful than the genomes. Most of them aren't terribly useful since they are either element aligned or cause a status ailment. White wind heals a lot if you have a lot of HP and heals less when you are near death so it's dangerous. Energy Burst is good but costs BP to use. There are 4 hidden ones, the -ja spells the nemeses have but they do less damage on a single target than meteor does and for the same MP cost.

I found it better to have a dual wielding pirate with bushido(free lunch) so I could spam Amped Strike for 9999 damage and not be dependent on weaknesses. You can also have similar debuff too.

Fandangox

There's surprisingly much more depth to the system than it first appears. There are multiple mechanics with regards to the Brave/Default system which aren't obvious until the game really gets going. Default on its own has many, many advantages - it's basically the "block" command, it stores up an extra action you can use later without penalty, and it prevents you from going into the red.

How much BP you and the enemies have also determines if you could possibly have a full other turn before the enemy can act again, or vice versa. Ending a turn with negative BP while the other side has positive or 0 BP will mean an entire turn where that character is vulnerable to attacks without being able to block at all.

There are also skills which use BP instead of MP, and skills/abilities which play around with BP in interesting ways, like providing bonus BP when certain conditions are met, or using BP as a means of determining bonuses.

Yeah, the
Red Mage
job consists a lot of gaining BP recovery. Would be good combined with
Valkyrie or Ninja

Anustart

Question, if you brave 4 times then auto battle, will each battle afterwards automatically brave then attack for you?

Dunno why I haven't tried it, but I figured the braving wouldn't be saved and all that would happen is a single attack.

Baliis

Question, if you brave 4 times then auto battle, will each battle afterwards automatically brave then attack for you?

Dunno why I haven't tried it, but I figured the braving wouldn't be saved and all that would happen is a single attack.

Braves and defaults are saved

duckroll

There are many battles in the game where defaulting effecting DOES give the player bonus damage. It's just how you think about it mechanically. For many boss fights, knowing when to actually brave and attack is essential. You'll do way more damage if you keep defaulting and healing/buffing, and waiting for an enemy to be at -1 or -2 BP, then chain a bunch of attacks. If the enemy is at -2 BP and you have 3 BP for all your characters, you can basically do 4x attacks + 1x attack before the enemy can do anything again, and still default when the enemy can act again if their attacks hurt. If the boss is getting low on health, you can even do an all out 4x + 4x attack at that stage, and string all the special move buffs along for all the attacks. On the other hand, braving all the way when your BP is 0 and the enemy BP is 0 or higher will probably wipe your party because you'll be taking 4 turns of attacks in a row.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Leveled up shop and I don't see these anywhere :
Holy Weapon (Rods), Divine Light (Staves), Cross Divide (Daggers).Megiddo Flame (Spears), Angelic Pillar (Bows), Thunderburst (Knuckles).

Vamphuntr

Holy Weapon (Rods), Divine Light (Staves), Cross Divide (Daggers).Megiddo Flame (Spears), Angelic Pillar (Bows), Thunderburst (Knuckles).

These are special moves.

EDIT : Just to be clear. You have them once the store is upgraded.. You don't have to buy them.

Those are special attacks. There's 3 for each weapon type. They are on the Special menu, when you can also set different bonuses/added effects for each one.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The job skills you get are more useful than the genomes. Most of them aren't terribly useful since they are either element aligned or cause a status ailment. White wind heals a lot if you have a lot of HP and heals less when you are near death so it's dangerous. Energy Burst is good but costs BP to use. There are 4 hidden ones, the -ja spells the nemeses have but they do less damage on a single target than meteor does and for the same MP cost.

I found it better to have a dual wielding pirate with bushido(free lunch) so I could spam Amped Strike for 9999 damage and not be dependent on weaknesses. You can also have similar debuff too.

Yeah I figured that would eventually happen. I find
blue mage esque classes
to be cooler in theory than practice. I'm basically just trying to pick up the moves for completion's sake. Thanks for the tip on the hidden ones, I wouldn't have even thought to check those out.

Top Bottom