• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Tripon

I've been playing it for a couple of days, and I'm loving it so far. I'm still in the first chapter, and just picked up the Merchant class.

Friend code is 1177-7109-2756 if you want to add me, just send a PM so I can add you back!

Doorman

Well, I've apparently found my first "wall" of the game. Early Chapter 2 sidequest:

That goddamned
summoner fight. Her summoning Giratinablublu or whatever it's called takes off like 85-100% of my characters' max HP if they aren't defaulting, which sets me scrambling to heal back up before she does it again. Throw in the summoned soldiers who have some strong attacks in their own right and can inflict confuse, and there's just no way to recover aside from burning a special attack heal.

I don't think that I'm just woefully underleveled since everything else has been manageable up to this point, but I'm at a loss as to how to rearrange my party in such a way that her primary attack doesn't just cripple me. Even worse is that I go into this fight now knowing that
summoning has no BP cost, so technically she could just brave-summon twice at the very beginning of the fight and auto-win, or summon Giratina on every turn, but the AI just opts not to. The game is trolling the shit out of me.
Guh.

bumpkin

Well, I've apparently found my first "wall" of the game. Early Chapter 2 sidequest:

That goddamned
summoner fight. Her summoning Giratinablublu or whatever it's called takes off like 85-100% of my characters' max HP if they aren't defaulting, which sets me scrambling to heal back up before she does it again. Throw in the summoned soldiers who have some strong attacks in their own right and can inflict confuse, and there's just no way to recover aside from burning a special attack heal.

I don't think that I'm just woefully underleveled since everything else has been manageable up to this point, but I'm at a loss as to how to rearrange my party in such a way that her primary attack doesn't just cripple me. Even worse is that I go into this fight now knowing that
summoning has no BP cost, so technically she could just brave-summon twice at the very beginning of the fight and auto-win, or summon Giratina on every turn, but the AI just opts not to. The game is trolling the shit out of me.
Guh.
TBH, I've used high-powered friend summons to take out foes who are giving me trouble. You want to talk about a pain the ass,
how about the ranger side quest? Ugh.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The stats for equipment in this game, is throwing me off. Whatever is said in the status screen kinds of contradict the actual stat bonuses. Take the first shop of the game in Caldisla. Leather Armor and Linen Cuirass. 4 PD and 1 MD for both of them...and yet the Linen Cuirass offer a higher Magic Defense bonus than the Armor with the same MD 1.

Shit drives me crazy.

Also...how viable is Red Mage in the endgame? I just love Edea's look with it and I don't want to switch her out of that, as her main.

The stats for equipment in this game, is throwing me off. Whatever is said in the status screen kinds of contradict the actual stat bonuses. Take the first shop of the game in Caldisla. Leather Armor and Linen Cuirass. 4 PD and 1 MD for both of them...and yet the Linen Cuirass offer a higher Magic Defense bonus than the Armor with the same MD 1.

Shit drives me crazy.

Also...how viable is Red Mage in the endgame? I just love Edea's look with it and I don't want to switch her out of that, as her main.

that's gotta be due to the different armor ranking, they affect the multiplier
S=2.0, A=1.8 (anything without a letter is A), B=1.6, C=1.4, D=1.2, E=1.0

spiritfox

Shit drives me crazy.

It learns up to lvl 4 magic. So nope. If it learnt lvl 5 magic it might still be useful.

Shit drives me crazy.

You shouldn't be worrying about endgame builds yet. Use the classes that are useful to you at the moment, JP gains per battle increase so dramatically later on that there's no point in worrying about leveling classes for use in the future. But later on, Red Mage is more useful for the support abilities it learns than its basic skillset.

Animekatt

I'm really enjoying the
salve maker
class. I have it on Agnes. I think I like it better than white mage, since they basically have a free cura every turn.

But man is the Ninja sub quest long. I was trying to get it done before work, but they talked so much (I don't skip cutscenes).

I'm really enjoying the
salve maker
class. I have it on Agnes. I think I like it better than white mage, since they basically have a free cura every turn.

But man is the Ninja sub quest long. I was trying to get it done before work, but they talked so much (I don't skip cutscenes).

Ihopeyouenjoyreadingtextlikethis,becauseyou'regonnaneeditforthatquestsoon

:p

It learns up to lvl 4 magic. So nope. If it learnt lvl 5 magic it might still be useful.

not like level 5 magic is useful either by endgame

Ryne

Okay, silly question here, but how do you change your personal friend summon character? My friend summon character is so weak compared to others.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Okay, silly question here, but how do you change your personal friend summon character? My friend summon character is so weak compared to others.

Whatever move you want to send, you select summon friend and then send. It'll send the damage of whatever the first move is that you do.

KidOmega

Hey guys. Just picked this game up. In need of some friends to help me build my village. My code is 2380-3433-7700. Please PM me or reply to this and and I'll add too.

demidar

Salve-Maker is probably my favourite support class. They can do so much more than just heal. Heal Lore is so good. Phoenix Down + Potion is awesome.

ohlawd

Salve-Maker is probably my favourite support class. They can do so much more than just heal. Heal Lore is so good. Phoenix Down + Potion is awesome.
kinda wish I didn't end up being OP so I could experiment with all the classes. I just cheesed everything and I couldn't help myself ;_;

The instances where I could have used that Salvemaker compound that doubles max HP, well I never had a chance to do that stuff.

Ponn

Banned
Added some people from last page.i may be over grinding, Im able to use magic levels i cant even find in shops.

my fc is 3325-3055-7935. I try to send good summon stuff like Agnes BM specials.

demidar

kinda wish I didn't end up being OP so I could experiment with all the classes. I just cheesed everything and I couldn't help myself ;_;

The instances where I could have used that Salvemaker compound that doubles max HP, well I never had a chance to do that stuff.

How did you cheese things? Hasten World + High Jump? Don't think I could ever do that myself.

Salve-Maker can also force weaknesses on bosses, makes them mincemeat for my Pirate/Spell Fencer. Salve-Maker why you so good?

This game's class system is great.

Fey

Banned
I just hit Chapter 4 and I'm losing interest. The story is awful.

Yeah, I'm at the end of chapter 3 and I'm just really losing any drive to continue. There isn't a single character who isn't annoying as fuck, the cutscenes are so unnecessarily long and and incredibly cheesy - which I didn't think I'd care about, but I REALLY hate these characters. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to just skip all the cutscenes, and just get all the jobs and then run around battling and mastering them all.

It's a shame because I was really looking forward to this game, and it really could have been so much better. :(

B.K.

I made it to Chapter 5 and the first boss killed me in one turn. I guess I need to level some more jobs for abilities and get some better gear.

Do the subquests in Chapter 5 disappear or are they available the rest of the game? I want to do them all, but I don't know if I want to do them all in one chapter.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I made it to Chapter 5 and the first boss killed me in one turn. I guess I need to level some more jobs for abilities and get some better gear.

Do the subquests in Chapter 5 disappear or are they available the rest of the game? I want to do them all, but I don't know if I want to do them all in one chapter.
They will disappear once you finish the chapter.

KarmaCow

Late Chapter 3 spoilers
This whole subplot with leading Egil around the god damn world is terrible. How did anyone think this was a good idea.

Holy shit at this difficulty jump in chapter 4. Just getting annihilated and I'm level sixty with all my jobs except
ninja
at level 9+. Guess I need to mess around with my setup a lot more.

Also Egil sucks, wish he had
fallen into the lava

PanderingMonk

Neo Member
Anyone have problems with the journal not updating? When I buy the level 11 stuff from Norende like
Fox Tail or Donnerschlag or Silver Glaive or Falcon Knife
it doesn't appear in the journal. I'm in Chapter 5 btw.

demidar

Holy shit at this difficulty jump in chapter 4. Just getting annihilated and I'm level sixty with all my jobs except
ninja
at level 9+. Guess I need to mess around with my setup a lot more.

Also Egil sucks, wish he had
fallen into the lava

Level 60? Are you playing on hard?

I managed to get through fine on hard, Just started chapter 5 at level 55.

Delio

I just read that there is no point doing the Sage staff trick till Chapter 5. Is that true? Cause otherwise im just going to stop doing it right now and just go on with the mission.

royox

I read people talking about how "they hate" the characters......I can understand the hate against Agnès...and can understand A BIT the hate against Tiz....

BUT HOW THE HELL CAN YOU HATE GOD DAMMIT RINGABELL?

Salaadin

How does one view their speed? I know AGI affects speed but is there a way to tell your total speed?

Im trying to see if dual wield Falcon Knives are better than Angels Bow on THF. I dont have the knives yet but will probably get them later tonight.

Ricker

If it wasnt for someone on my friendlist who had an awesome combo(thanks Lamario)I would of failed that Thief Boss fight...damn,I didnt skip any fights and that was a close one(and the one after(sort of a sidequest,blue marker)..I have to try and do some combos like that to send to friends...that opened a job I bet not a lot of people use lol
Merchant

Anustart

So I got a question about an apparent side quest in chapter 2.

Spoilers ahoy!

I've already
recharged the crystal with my power of prayer
and headed back to Florem. I also did the quest where I received the
Ranger
job, but there's still a blue exclamation that is seemingly on top of Florem, but I can't find anything in the town, there's no blue exclamation when I'm inside of florem.

Edit: Nevermind, had to be in town at night! It's a quest involving Ringabel and how he might become a better
pimp/ladies man.
I love Ringabel, lol. He's leading the party and is in the
Merchant
job so we can be strolling around in style. Before this quest is over, Ringabel is going have Agnes and Edea at the same time, I just know it.

Ponn

Banned
Man these Nemeses rec levels are misleading. Fucking Belphegor.

Im a little into chapter 2 and i havent changed job classes except from the initial freelance. Currently i have

Agnes Black Mage
Tiz White Mage
Ringabell Monk (im digging this class)
Edea Knight

Everyone about lv 26. Should i start swapping classes out or stick it out for now? And if so what are some recommended classes to level up early?

Top Bottom