• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Shiggie

So I got a question about an apparent side quest in chapter 2.

Spoilers ahoy!

I've already
recharged the crystal with my power of prayer
and headed back to Florem. I also did the quest where I received the
Ranger
job, but there's still a blue exclamation that is seemingly on top of Florem, but I can't find anything in the town, there's no blue exclamation when I'm inside of florem.

try waiting outside till it changes to night. Some quests depend on the time of day.

TomShoe

Banned
Question:

I'm at the part in Chapter 2 where
after you pick up Ringabel you have to go into that castle where Edea is arguing with the guy that burned down Ringabel's house
. I'm traversing that section through all the puzzles, but I'm having a hard time with the
Cait Siths
and the
Giant Hogs
. They keep doing big amounts of damage, and I have to use a lot of strategy to kill them.

Does anyone have some tips, or a recommended level, or some good equipment builds that could help?

Zing

Banned
Im a little into chapter 2 and i havent changed job classes except from the initial freelance. Currently i have

Agnes Black Mage
Tiz White Mage
Ringabell Monk (im digging this class)
Edea Knight

Everyone about lv 26. Should i start swapping classes out or stick it out for now? And if so what are some recommended classes to level up early?
Are you serious? You've been playing with no support abilities for all this time?

Ponn

Banned
Are you serious? You've been playing with no support abilities for all this time?

It hasnt been detrimental yet. For my BM and WM i just made the vice versa sub job which essentially makes them specialized Red Mages. For the knight i slapped WM on her to give her 1st level healing spells. The monk i gave freelance.

bumpkin

It hasnt been detrimental yet. For my BM and WM i just made the vice versa sub job which essentially makes them specialized Red Mages. For the knight i slapped WM on her to give her 1st level healing spells. The monk i gave freelance.
Abilink'ing all of my characters with a specific abate ability in chapter 2 was the only way I could get past a specific boss. Tried several times before in vain.

Mondy

Banned
I really wanted to like this game. Everything about it was awesome but those combat mechanics. Just can't deal with that.

Labadal

In the early parts of the game, grinding is useless. Do not try to grind job levels past level 9 until chapter 4 or later. I would recommend training your characters in new jobs because there are plenty of useful support abilities you can get. Mastering jobs is more important later on in the game.

KarmaCow

I really wanted to like this game. Everything about it was awesome but those combat mechanics. Just can't deal with that.

Wow, the battle mechanics is what's keeping me going. Though I'm including the job system into that even if it's not directly part of the individual battles.

The story, progression, and dungeons have been pretty lackluster to awful. The straight up toggles on exp/pg/jp and encounters also feel clumsy but I've been trying to avoid it for the most part. I'm kinda hoping the next game manages to integrate it into the game itself through better balancing, but I doubt it.

Sakura

Sorry if I'm repeating a question, but I have the Japanese copy of the original game, and my friend has the American copy. Are we able to register each other as friends in the game? I tried and he didn't pop up.

Okamid3n

So there was a boss that could one-shot my party twice over and it had 100k+ HP so I couldn't one-round him. However, it only attacked once per turn and only used physical attacks.

...I used Ringabel with the ninja dodging move and the transience ability that lets you counterattack after dodging. I then set the game on automatic and went to do other stuff. Only Ringabel got experience from that boss, but it was totally worth it to beat a boss without even doing anything.

EDIT: In hindsight, I realize this is probably a really known strategy, but I just found out in-game and was amazed that this worked so well. Ninjas are awesome.

JLeack

Banned
Wow, the battle mechanics is what's keeping me going. Though I'm including the job system into that even if it's not directly part of the individual battles.

The story, progression, and dungeons have been pretty lackluster to awful. The straight up toggles on exp/pg/jp and encounters also feel clumsy but I've been trying to avoid it for the most part. I'm kinda hoping the next game manages to integrate it into the game itself through better balancing, but I doubt it.

This game is proof, to myself at least, that gameplay triumphs all. I hate most of the characters, the story, some parts of the graphics, and the dungeon design. I really only love the combat, jobs, Edea, and the music. Those few qualities are enough for me to call it my favorite RPG in years.

Korosenai

Just had a 15 minute long fight with
Chaugmar
and lost. Got it down to 5000 health, could have easily killed it but i had to spend the whole time healing and using my items for more mp. So annoying. Guess i need to go level up a couple more levels.

Well I've pretty much ascended to god mode with my current party. This game needs a system where you can save certain job setups to switch around.

rugioh

Banned
If you miss a sidequest after ending a chapter, is there no way to get it anymore? I completely missed one in CH3 and I'm pretty bummed because I saved after i finished the chapter :(

Leezard

If you miss a sidequest after ending a chapter, is there no way to get it anymore? I completely missed one in CH3 and I'm pretty bummed because I saved after i finished the chapter :(

You should be able to finish it again. If not in chapter 4, you will get another chance in chapter 5.

Anustart

The only reason I'm putting out any kind of decent damage at all towards the end of chapter 2 was Tiz using the Angel bow. He was the only character who could do appreciable damage, and now that I've changed him to a
Valkyrie
everyone is now doing pathetic damage. Doesn't make sense, the angel bow boosted his attack, and even though every other character's attack was similar, they did way less damage.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wanting to level everyone's different jobs up is tearing me apart as I progress. I really need to just settle on stuff til I get to a solid point to level everything up

Lightning Returns has better combat than this game (exploration and NPCs too,) but no one will ever realize it here because they're too busy screaming about Toriyama

Reading this thread makes me feel kinda boring/un-imaginative for not using exploits of any kind...

I finished the game without using any ablinks, no Norende equipment and didn't hardly grind at all. I barely changed battle frequency!

I dunno, some of these combinations sound fun, seems I just played this as an old school RPG and didn't take advantage of the new systems and possibilities they offer.

Man I was really looking forward to this game, but like some others here I'm pretty disappointed. It's just not very good. The story/characters/writing/voice acting are awful and the battle system is boring. Brave/default offers so very little in terms of strategy over just a straight up one "turn" system and it's just not a very fun mechanic. Also the dungeons are boring and bland.

The only good part is the class/job system and there is some nice art in places. I was really expecting to like this because it is so rare that I don't like a game that people are recommending. I'll keep plugging away for a little and see what happens though.

Wanting to level everyone's different jobs up is tearing me apart as I progress. I really need to just settle on stuff til I get to a solid point to level everything up

you of all people should know, stick with one character job :p

Lightning Returns has better combat than this game (exploration and NPCs too,) but no one will ever realize it here because they're too busy screaming about Toriyama

no

Man I was really looking forward to this game, but like some others here I'm pretty disappointed. It's just not very good. The story/characters/writing/voice acting are awful and the battle system is boring. Brave/default offers so very little in terms of strategy over just a straight up one "turn" system and it's just not a very fun mechanic. Also the dungeons are boring and bland.

The only good part is the class/job system and there is some nice art in places. I was really expecting to like this because it is so rare that I don't like a game that people are recommending. I'll keep plugging away for a little and see what happens though.

Hmmm, I might have to pass on this if thats the case, isnt that the whole point of a good rpg?

Seik

Banned
The game seems to be selling well, because me and a friend of mine were looking for a copy today and it was nowhere to be found...or Nintendo made a low print run.

I'd say it's the latter.

Hmmm, I might have to pass on this if thats the case, isnt that the whole point of a good rpg?

Pretty much yeah. I mean, I'm about 6 hours in so maybe it gets better. But there are people farther than me saying it gets worse (and still, you should be having fun by 6 hours in). So far I would not call it a good RPG. But you know, that's just like, my opinion man. Maybe wait for the hype to die down and read peoples collective opinions when they've finished and reflected on it. That's what I usually do if I'm on the fence.

Totakeke

The battle system isn't boring, and you have a demo to try it out yourself. Brave/default is great for a turn based system. People who say it's not much of a difference compared the traditional one turn system just isn't really playing the game.

Simple things that you can do:

You have a KO'ed ally, instead of reviving him straight away, you default for one turn and do a combination KO + heal using one brave next turn rather than risking him being KO'ed again straight away.
You have skills that increase defence for one turn so because your characters are at a risk of death every time they don't guard (default), you use those attacks together so even you're protected when you're attacking.
You're losing the battle of attrition so you can risk it in two turns going all out brave so you're basically using 8 turns in 2 turns to kill the boss. In one-turn systems there's not much you can do here.

colinp

Banned

How far are you into the game?

The battle system isn't boring, and you have a demo to try it out yourself. Brave/default is great for a turn based system. People who say it's not much of a difference compared the traditional one turn system just isn't really playing the game.

Simple things that you can do:

You have a KO'ed ally, instead of reviving him straight away, you default for one turn and do a combination KO + heal using one brave next turn rather than risking him being KO'ed again straight away.
You have skills that increase defence for one turn so because your characters are at a risk of death every time they don't guard (default), you use those attacks together so even you're protected when you're attacking.
You're losing the battle of attrition so you can risk it in two turns going all out brave so you're basically using 8 turns in 2 turns to kill the boss. In one-turn systems there's not much you can do here.

Yes, it does those things, but they are only really solving problems that they themselves created over a traditional one move per turn system. And it doesn't really change anything because you just manipulate the brave/default system in order for the battle system to function as it should with a one move per turn system. So in another game, if i'm not defaulting, I can attack and not die. On top of that it adds the tedium of a major criticism of turn based systems in that you are just button mashing for 90 percent of battles. Which you still are, but now instead of just "attack>ok" it's "default>default>default>default. brave>brave>brave>brave. ability>x, ability>X, ability>x, ability>x >OK" for example.

Alright, about how hard is the
vampire
subquest? (near the end of chapter 4 I think). I looked online and it seems intimidating but I've pretty much been wrecking everything in my path. I'm like level 70ish and have a few maxed jobs.

Totakeke

Yes, it does those things, but they are only really solving problems that they themselves created over a traditional one move per turn system. And it doesn't really change anything because you just manipulate the brave/default system in order for the battle system to function as it should with a one move per turn system. So in another game, if i'm not defaulting, I can attack and not die. On top of that it adds the tedium of a major criticism of turn based systems in that you are just button mashing for 90 percent of battles. Which you still are, but now instead of just "attack>ok" it's "default>default>default>default. brave>brave>brave>brave. ability>x, ability>X, ability>x, ability>x >OK" for example.

So you're complaining that it's just not as mindless as other battle systems where you can just press attack>ok to win the battles. It's a risk/reward system, you choose to minimize risk so you get minimal reward (by wasting a lot of time) because you're defaulting all the time.

macklelol

Alright, about how hard is the
vampire
subquest? (near the end of chapter 4 I think). I looked online and it seems intimidating but I've pretty much been wrecking everything in my path. I'm like level 70ish and have a few maxed jobs.

It should be extremely easy if you use Ninjas.

rybrad

I just got to the city in Chapter 4 and I am getting absolutely destroyed by regular mobs. Anyone have any good grinding spots they can recommend? I am quite surprised at the difficulty jump since I finished Chapter 3 with no issues.

So you're complaining that it's just not as mindless as other battle systems where you can just press attack>ok to win the battles. It's a risk/reward system, you choose to minimize risk so you get minimal reward (by wasting a lot of time) because you're defaulting all the time.

no, i'm complaining that it IS just as mindless, despite the extra pointless hoops they have you jump through. Also just not that fun of a mechanic.

Totakeke

I just got to the city in Chapter 4 and I am getting absolutely destroyed by regular mobs. Anyone have any good grinding spots they can recommend? I am quite surprised at the difficulty jump since I finished Chapter 3 with no issues.

I don't think there's any other than going back to the chapter 3 areas, the new areas you can go to are chapter 4 difficulty too. I can't beat any of the chapter 4 random encounters without wiping half of the time.

no, i'm complaining that it IS just as mindless, despite the extra pointless hoops they have you jump through. Also just not that fun of a mechanic.

Later in the game you can't even default 3x brave 4x if you want to, it's like equipping all your characters with no weapons and just shields and you don't like it because you're playing it safe and it's taking too long. Also, there's plenty of ways to break the game, you can even turn it down to easy if you just don't want to play the system and just want to make it simple for yourself.

I recommend using the crescent moon strategy for those guys. Neutralizes that 6 plant guy mob very effectively and it'll get you tons of xp.

It might be really cheap but I was getting wrecked even at a high level so don't feel too guilty about it.

rybrad

I don't think there's any other than going back to the chapter 3 areas, the new areas you can go to are chapter 4 difficulty too. I can't beat any of the chapter 4 random encounters without wiping half of the time.
Yea that was my thought and what I was hoping to avoid since I heard Chapter 4 is a huge jump in JP. Of course, that assumes you can actually kill shit in a reasonable timeframe haha.
I recommend using the crescent moon strategy for those guys. Neutralizes that 6 plant guy mob very effectively and it'll get you tons of xp.

It might be really cheap but I was getting wrecked even at a high level so don't feel too guilty about it.
Thanks, I will probably end up doing that for now. I have been playing on hard and didn't want to overgrind to trivialize things but the difficulty of these new mobs is pretty wack right now.

Top Bottom