• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

I just got to the city in Chapter 4 and I am getting absolutely destroyed by regular mobs. Anyone have any good grinding spots they can recommend? I am quite surprised at the difficulty jump since I finished Chapter 3 with no issues.

I'd go for the plant guys outside the city, if that's too much go back to
the grand ship and grind the mobs down the elevator

VRMN

Just updated my game, found a lot of friends with high-level jobs. Does Abilink make the game broken?

I don't think so, but there is an argument to be made for it. Just like the summon ability, it makes the game a lot easier. However, I wouldn't say it's game breaking because all it gives you are the ABILITIES associated with the higher levels, not the stat boosts. So you can, for instance, have a Valkyrie with access to some of the higher level abilities like High Jump, but without the stat gains you would have given those abilities naturally.

rybrad

I'd go for the plant guys outside the city, if that's too much go back to
the grand ship and grind the mobs down the elevator
Is there a particular spot where they have a higher spawn chance than the other mobs? Bears and wolves can ruin my day pretty fast.

Lucentto

Banned
Just beat the game, 58 hours. Overall it was pretty good. I think the game fell apart after Chapter 4, but the final chapter was okay enough.

spiritfox

no, i'm complaining that it IS just as mindless, despite the extra pointless hoops they have you jump through. Also just not that fun of a mechanic.

There are many ways to manipulate BP as you go on in the game. In fact, most of the game is about giving you free turns through various skills. Try playing a bit longer, and at least get the Red Mage.

There are many ways to manipulate BP as you go on in the game. In fact, most of the game is about giving you free turns through various skills. Try playing a bit longer, and at least get the Red Mage.

"
Fiore DeRosa
is a fucking creep! fuck this game, I'm out"

It feels like they ran out of budget and had to find ways to make due,

at the very least they should have
made you go around again 1-2 more times instead of FOUR

DarkKyo

I'm not sure what happened, that part of the game was just horrible to go through. Hopefully the devs learn from this, and in the sequel I won't have to go through that garbage again.

I'm only in chapter 1 right now. You guys are making me feel like the game isn't worth playing through to the end... :(

Lucentto

Banned
I'm only in chapter 1 right now. You guys are making me feel like the game isn't worth playing through to the end... :(

Don't let my thoughts discourage you. It's a good game, its just that part in particular. I still find the game worth playing through.

JLeack

Banned

Just don't expect the story to be good. It's the worst I've exerienced in years. Also, Agnes is the worst character in any modern video game.

Outside of that its fantastic.

Just don't expect the story to be good. It's the worst I've exerienced in years. Also, Agnes is the worst character in any modern video game.

Outside of that its fantastic.

hey there's this character you might have heard of lately, she's called Lightning....

Vamphuntr

Lightning doesn't sound like she's trying to make you stick pencils in your ears when she talks, though.

Yeah, her VA is awful. She seems to be overdoing it all the time.

The game is great because of the battle system and the job system. Characters suck big time and the plot has some really weak twists but the gameplay makes the game great.

It's just too bad the second half was bad. I have high hopes for Bravely Second.

Ahh I can't help but feel disappointed with the game... Was my most anticipated title for a long time. The story is just so awful, every bit of dialogue is a pain to get through and there's a ton of it. I expected to be enchanted by the game's world, exploring towns and falling in love with the characters because of how absolutely stunning and charming the art is. I thought this game would transport me the way FF9 did. Tasteful visual design is the most important thing to me, usually it is enough to sell me on a game, but there is absolutely no coherence between the gameplay, the story, the music and the art in Bravely Default, thus making it impossible to feel any attachment to anything or anyone. I am very sad. Can't help but feel like there was a huge waste of potential with this title. I had way more fun with FF4:HoL tbh. :'^(

ohlawd

How did you cheese things? Hasten World + High Jump? Don't think I could ever do that myself.

Salve-Maker can also force weaknesses on bosses, makes them mincemeat for my Pirate/Spell Fencer. Salve-Maker why you so good?

This game's class system is great.
Hasten World and Super Jump, yeah.

When I feel like cheesing differently, I used Dark Nebula and Adaptation.

Add in Stillness and/or Fairy Ward for either cheese methods and I'm good. Convert BP destroys my MP when used twice in the same turn but who cares when Healing Lore Turbo Ethers give me 300 MP each.

Vamphuntr

It does feel to suffer from the Golden Sun Dark Dawn syndrome. Characters talk a lot and their banter is simply not interesting. They also try to mimic Tales of style skits but they're not very good at it.

Still, I believe the gameplay makes up for it.

Just starting Chapter 3. Still digging the game, but I think nostalgia for the classic Final Fantasy games is definitely playing a huge factor in that. This is definitely the type of game I would only be able to play every couple of years or so.

Mothman91

Lvl 31, just finished the Water Temple boss. Game has been kinda easy, have turned off exp for the last optional boss and the boss for the Water Temple. What lvl were you guys when you finished this chapter? Trying to figure out if I'm way too ahead or somewhat ok. Also have been making it easy with the Blessed Shield with easy Cura spamming.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
I really enjoyed that honestly.
Same here, maybe I missed it but did it explain how exactly Yulyana lived for 500 years? They explain DeRosso but I don't remember hearing about Yulyana

More of a general question, what are the odds that those costumes they released in Japan like the Dimensional Officer for Tiz make it over here?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lvl 31, just finished the Water Temple boss. Game has been kinda easy, have turned off exp for the last optional boss and the boss for the Water Temple. What lvl were you guys when you finished this chapter? Trying to figure out if I'm way too ahead or somewhat ok. Also have been making it easy with the Blessed Shield with easy Cura spamming.
It isn't a fine-tuned progression. You will be like "that was a joke, maybe I should turn off exp" then the next boss will bitchslap you into tomorrow. Mostly because overall levels are not near as important as strategically using jobs, abilities, and equipment as they become available to utilize.

I was around 33-34, but I've also done some grinding to get enough money to buy one of each item in every shop and have completed every side quest. Bosses have been pretty easy, so I'm fairly sure I was over-leveled.

Zing

Banned
Is this the part of the video game life cycle where people start to publicly complain about the game? I have to wonder if some of you are playing the same game as me. I also have to wonder if you ever played the original Final Fantasy game. This reminds me very much of the first game. However, instead of having to restart the game repeatedly to try new combinations of classes, I can switch on the fly.

The game is great and well worth the time and money.

Mothman91

It isn't a fine-tuned progression. You will be like "that was a joke, maybe I should turn off exp" then the next boss will bitchslap you into tomorrow. Mostly because overall levels are not near as important as strategically using jobs, abilities, and equipment as they become available to utilize.

Yup, this is true. Water Boss when he did the
sleep/big aoe move afterwards, had my party within death reach every time. Also tried to steal something out of him, but failed.

JLeack

Banned
Is this the part of the video game life cycle where people start to publicly complain about the game? I have to wonder if some of you are playing the same game as me. I also have to wonder if you ever played the original Final Fantasy game. This reminds me very much of the first game. However, instead of having to restart the game repeatedly to try new combinations of classes, I can switch on the fly.

The game is great and well worth the time and money.

The honeymoon is over. It's like this for every game. In this case, the game fails to make its world immersive. I dont give a crap about anyone or anything in the game. However, I love unlocking jobs, gearing out my characters, and killing bosses.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Same here, maybe I missed it but did it explain how exactly Yulyana lived for 500 years? They explain DeRosso but I don't remember hearing about Yulyana

More of a general question, what are the odds that those costumes they released in Japan like the Dimensional Officer for Tiz make it over here?

If you read the notes (#10 The Vampire Gallery: Archbishop) it explains. "With the ornamental title of archbishop came one material privilege: access to the head temple's treasury, and the writings sealed within it. There, he found a text--the Rite of Agelessness--and an arcane elixir of longevity beside it." There's more, but I won't type it all out :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The honeymoon is over. It's like this for every game. In this case, the game fails to make its world immersive. I dont give a crap about anyone or anything in the game. However, I love unlocking jobs, gearing out my characters, and killing bosses.
Yep, it is an unbalanced experience.

Gameplay goes like: New stuff, new stuff, new stuff, new stuff, new stuff, new stuff, new stuff...
Story/characters/music goes like: New stuff, new stuff, kind of new stuff, same stuff, same stuff, same stuff, stuff is tired now, you stopped caring about stuff, you're kind of annoyed by stuff...

And I feel, similarly to FFIX (which at least continued with new stuff better), you keep running into tragedies already in progress or over, with no time to care about any of it first. All there is left is to kick someone's ass for it, but it's just on principle because none of these people were your friends, and you don't even know the bad guys before you're kicking their asses. That isn't a good way to tell a story.

Anustart

Yep, it is an unbalanced experience.

Gameplay goes like: New stuff, new stuff, new stuff, new stuff, new stuff, new stuff, new stuff...
Story/characters/music goes like: New stuff, new stuff, kind of new stuff, same stuff, same stuff, same stuff, stuff is tired now, you stopped caring about stuff, you're kind of annoyed by stuff...

And I feel, similarly to FFIX (which at least continued with new stuff better), you keep running into tragedies already in progress or over, with no time to care about any of it first. All there is left is to kick someone's ass for it, but it's just on principle because none of these people were your friends, and you don't even know the bad guys before you're kicking their asses. That isn't a good way to tell a story.

I just entered chapter 3 and I'm already tired of New Group of Bad Guys who, SHOCKING SPOILER
Edea KNOWS, DUH DUH DUH

That and, Unacceptable!

It does feel to suffer from the Golden Sun Dark Dawn syndrome. Characters talk a lot and their banter is simply not interesting. They also try to mimic Tales of style skits but they're not very good at it.

Still, I believe the gameplay makes up for it.

I actually love the skits - they are really amusing sometimes. The "tutorial" ones are obviously not very entertaining, but the actual character interactions are great.

Top Bottom