• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Is this the part of the video game life cycle where people start to publicly complain about the game? I have to wonder if some of you are playing the same game as me. I also have to wonder if you ever played the original Final Fantasy game. This reminds me very much of the first game. However, instead of having to restart the game repeatedly to try new combinations of classes, I can switch on the fly.

The game is great and well worth the time and money.

Where are you up to in the game?

Since you mentioned Final Fantasy, I consider it the anti-FF13. FF13 took 30 hours to get good, BD takes 30 hours to get bad.

It seems more people are reaching that point now.

I actually love the skits - they are really amusing sometimes. The "tutorial" ones are obviously not very entertaining, but the actual character interactions are great.

The big missing thing for me was some sort of interactivity. Just a choice or two in each skit would have made them a lot more fun to sit through. By the end I was just skipping over them, because they get pretty repetitive.

Is this the part of the video game life cycle where people start to publicly complain about the game? I have to wonder if some of you are playing the same game as me. I also have to wonder if you ever played the original Final Fantasy game. This reminds me very much of the first game. However, instead of having to restart the game repeatedly to try new combinations of classes, I can switch on the fly.

The game is great and well worth the time and money.
You mean the part where people have played enough of the game to criticize it? This is such a stupid way to dismiss people's thoughts on the game.

Finally, made it to Chapter 8. This is really starting to kill me now.
If I were to ignore the sidequests, rush through, awaken all the crystals, kill the final boss, and finish the game; would I still be able to go back and do the sidequest boss fights?

macklelol

Finally, made it to Chapter 8. This is really starting to kill me now.
If I were to ignore the sidequests, rush through, awaken all the crystals, kill the final boss, and finish the game; would I still be able to go back and do the sidequest boss fights?

Yup. You can save the clear data at the end, it'll put you back at the beginning of Chapter 8 if you load it.

Where are you up to in the game?

Since you mentioned Final Fantasy, I consider it the anti-FF13. FF13 took 30 hours to get good, BD takes 30 hours to get bad.

It seems more people are reaching that point now.

The big missing thing for me was some sort of interactivity. Just a choice or two in each skit would have made them a lot fun to sit through. By the end I was just skipping over them, because they get pretty repetitive.
I actually think chapter 3 is the lowpoint of the game. Chapters 1, 2, 4, and maybe 8 are good, the rest is boring or outright bad.

Kyou

I did this tonight:

YwtYdjX.png

I did this tonight:

http://i.imgur.com/YwtYdjX.png[/im][/QUOTE]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH this looks like something out of Adventure Time. Brilliant.

Also I've decided to stop using Free Lunch that I got via abilink. It's cheap as shit as a pirate when I can do 32K damage with her with 4 attacks in one turn... at least until I actually earn free lunch without an abilink. In fact when I have this combination I have no need to use specials since my ninja does 10K [by my doing though] by himself.

Also I've taken another break after getting the three straight classes in chapter 4. As the sidequest that opened up requires me to go all around the freaking world.

you know, crazy idea (obvious spoilers):

what if for chapter 8, instead of having DeRosso and Yulyana in their own pathetically easy battle (by comparison with everything else), you had to fight the entire Council of Six all at once
(for the record that's Victor, Victoria, Braev, Alternis, DeRosso, Yulyana)
and I guess as a corollary, Kamiizumi starts the battle with the other Black Blades too)

What are some good team combinations for the swordmaster fight =/

the best trick is to default and try to anticipate when he does the attack that puts him at -1. Don't do a lot of damage while he hasn't gone to the negative as his specialty is countering. Just keep doing minor damage and healing until he does this. Not a tough battle really

aett

Just got to chapter 4 and I'm loving the classes I unlocked in chapter 3. Is the Provoke skill worth using? I was thinking of having a "tank" class that could draw most hits to him, take less damage than my other characters would, and even counterattack... but it seems like most bosses do a lot of group attacks.

spiritfox

WTF, Chap 5
Barras just failed Invigorate 3 times in a row and wipe everyone.

edit: It seems rigged. Everytime I get him to critical HP he just spams it and fails.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just play extremely defensive, I spent most of it defaulting. If you can survive when he braves, you have won the fight if you have enough recovery items.
Or you can GO ALL THE WAY:

Four mastered Knights, all in full Heike Armor, a Bloody Shield in each hand, Full Cover each other, Super Charge him into oblivion.

I actually think chapter 3 is the lowpoint of the game. Chapters 1, 2, 4, and maybe 8 are good, the rest is boring or outright bad.

Fair call, 3 felt very much like filler.

If it was just chapters
1, 2, 4, 8
I would have gone home more than happy. That is still a massive amount of playtime for the money and all of it is pretty gold.

Man, I'm in ch. 2 and still haven't mastered my first classes. I'm not jumping into other classes on the fly either - I'm playing one class till I master it and then jump to the next.

Fair call, 3 felt very much like filler.

If it was just chapters
1, 2, 4, 8
I would have gone home more than happy. That is still a massive amount of playtime for the money and all of it is pretty gold.

*and 7
really they should've cut 5 and 6 and rolled the Conjurer sidequest+blue chest key into the other two

Ugh, Chapter 7...

that's where it actually starts becoming interesting again
at least if you do the optional battles

something something Eternian Board of Girl Power
also lawl at DeRosa/Profiteur/Qada

also, am I the only one who wants this game to outsell FFXIII: LR in the west just to rub it in Toth's face

B.K.

I hit a brick wall in Chapter 5 today. I couldn't kill any of the bosses. I spent half the day grinding out JP for skills and got to level 61 before I decided to turn exp off. Maybe I can make some progress tomorrow.

also something something Eternian Board of Girl Power
also lawl at DeRosa/Profiteur/Qada

also, am I the only one who wants this game to outsell FFXIII: LR in the west just to rub it in Toth's face

I want it to sell well period. Because I want the sequel here. 3DS games dont tend to sell more than the hundreds of thousands near the introduction of the game, especially non-nintendo first party titles.

ohlawd

I want it to sell well period. Because I want the sequel here. 3DS games dont tend to sell more than the hundreds of thousands near the introduction of the game, especially non-nintendo first party titles.
exactly.

I want Nintendo or SE or whoever to feel confident the sequel is worth bringing over.

except EU. They're on their own lol had their chance and they blew it.

demidar

Can Fairy Ward cancel doom from Life or Death?

I don't think anything can cancel Doom, except for some special ability from White Mage?

Cool attention to detail, the Doom counter stops temporarily if the character is suspended by the Stop status effect.

E ^ guess I'm wrong.

I have a white mage with the shield that casts cura and the staff that can revive people. So when I had the battle with Doom, I simply used it as an excuse to have that character go absolutely crazy with attacks.

Just hit Chapter 5 and... what? I mean who thought this was a good idea? I haven't had any trouble so far but still...

I've finally found the story kind of interesting though, for what its worth. I thought the backstory in the (chapter 4)
vampire
sidequest was actually really cool. The kind of mystery of what is actually going on is fairly interesting as well. Also Tiz and Agnes have barely had any dialogue for the last couple hours which is always a plus.

Part of me wishes there were more limits on what you can do so the game wasn't so easily breakable. The brave system + auto-battle + 100% enemy encounters make this game the easiest to grind in history. And then they throw in a double xp item that can be gotten fairly easily. It's ridiculous. Also the
ninja
class is the most ridiculous shit ever. That plus that one
red mage
support ability and any enemy that doesn't spend more than 1 bp a turn can be beaten while taking 0 damage. It's stupid.

edit: wow I am a terrible writer at 3am. I should probably go to bed,

KHlover

Banned
WTF, Chap 5
Barras just failed Invigorate 3 times in a row and wipe everyone.

edit: It seems rigged. Everytime I get him to critical HP he just spams it and fails.
That's a part of his script. You'll either have to find a way to survive it or just kill him before he gets the chance to do it.

Those battles are good, but I'd still rather they were more "optional".

Could have moved all those into the town building feature for example as nemesis enemies (including your idea of all of them at once).

So I'm assuming that in chapter 5 I don't have to feel as bad about my pirate doing way too much fucking damage with free lunch and Amped Strike? I've already unlocked Amped Strike, but didn't even realize Free Lunch was also a last skill, and one I didn't work for. I felt so guilty.

I can't wash away the guilt.

edit: on another note, any abilities/support skills I should look for in my ninja? Currently I need to default to 3 (aka be able to do 4 attacks at once) to be able to do Godspeed Strike once plus a regular ability. And then the next turn I can't really do it because then I'd be on cooldown and my guy could get attacked. I added Turn Tables and evasion 10% up, not to mention having all the armor and equipment to give me more speed and evasion. But I don't think my ninja has evaded ONCE since I started this build, so as of right now the things I've set up so he can get more BP are useless. Any suggestions to get him some BP for boss battles that doesn't require defaulting?

I know red mage has turn tables and the one that gives you stuff when you have a status ailment. But anything else in another class I can look for?

Top Bottom