• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

I know red mage has turn tables and the one that gives you stuff when you have a status ailment. But anything else in another class I can look for?

Two options come to mind besides using the red mage skill directly.

(job/strategy spoilers)
Performer can be used to give BP via "one more for you" or whatever it is. Have whatever character is useless to you just do this three times.

Plan B and what got me through the game is to use the spiritmaster stillness ability. What you can then do is cast stillness, default while the enemy loses their BP and then unleash. Then cast stillness again and repeat. If you have a good pirate going, you should be able to take down most anything after a few cycles of 4x9999.

The only thing that can mess that up is status ailments, but that is where BP recover comes in...which of course gets you even more BP.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Does growth egg affect the whole party?

Ch. 4 now - Suddenly farming/grinding makes more sense. I guess I should turn off XP gain for a while and focus on the bling-bling

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Just don't expect the story to be good. It's the worst I've exerienced in years. Also, Agnes is the worst character in any modern video game.

Outside of that its fantastic.

tumblr_lzxke3yGkR1qcthzao1_500.gif

and many more

Zing

Banned
Edea is currently a Spell Fencer with Knight sub-job. She is equipped with a Bloody Shield, which seems to push her defence so high, she only takes 1 damage. She also has a Red Muleta accessory, which increases the chance enemies will attack her instead of the others. The Firewall support ability makes this hilarious, as enemies attack her, and are then promptly toasted by Firewall.

I'm trying to squeeze another mage in here somewhere, but I am just using Agnes as a Time/Black mage. I keep feeling I should have White Mage somewhere here, but I just can't find a good reason for someone to main it. Healing items are plentiful, despite me never actually buying a single one, and I have the Blessed Shield, which has the Cura effect.

One thing that is frustrating for me so far, is that status effects seem pointless. The non-elemental Sword Fencer abilities, and mage spells such as poison and stop are not worth casting, when I could just brave and kill the enemies. I am not overpowered and often come close to getting KO'd even in random battles, but I can still wipe out all of the enemies in two rounds. When fighting bosses, where status would actually be useful, the enemy is always immune.

To each his own. ~_^ I loved everything about the story, Agnes included.

This is such hyperbole based on the 20 hours ibe put in.

The story is basic but the dialogue is decent (voice actong is hit and miss)

The important thing is that is not really offensive. I dunno. It doesnt enthrall me but it definitely doesn't bother me.

That said itz low on the list of reasons I love this damn game. Criticisms I read on hete before I played it are really overstated

This game is fantastic. Cant put it down and I love thr complex and customizable battle system.

Zing

Banned
My town is all but maxed out and I'm still on Chapter 1. I need to find more time to actually "play" this game.
It looks like I will have mine maxed even faster than I predicted a day or two ago. By tonight, I will have everything at least level 10, and with the number of villagers I have (even without using the demo to boost) I can get them to 11 within 24 hours. I've only actually shut down the game once since buying it, and that was to clear out my streetpass plaza.

One thing that is frustrating for me so far, is that status effects seem pointless. The non-elemental Sword Fencer abilities, and mage spells such as poison and stop are not worth casting, when I could just brave and kill the enemies. I am not overpowered and often come close to getting KO'd even in random battles, but I can still wipe out all of the enemies in two rounds. When fighting bosses, where status would actually be useful, the enemy is always immune.

They come good later on with a support job. But for now, consider your special attacks and the properties they can have.

Maybesew

Question on Chapter 3

Fire temple boss - I understand the main mechanics of defaulting until transform, but im having a hard time surviving his energy explosion. I've made it thru a few cycles, but I guess the RNG just gets me sometimes and 3 out of 4 will die, or my healer, which takes longer to recover from and then eventually i wipe. I'm level 44 which I thought would be on the high side for this content so I'm wondering if I should be stacking some sort of resistance gear or abilities? I know to attack with lightning, so I have my 3 attackers all spell fencer sub-class using thundara before attacking, and agnes is a white mage/salve maker

Any suggestions?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Question on Chapter 3

Fire temple boss - I understand the main mechanics of defaulting until transform, but im having a hard time surviving his energy explosion. I've made it thru a few cycles, but I guess the RNG just gets me sometimes and 3 out of 4 will die, or my healer, which takes longer to recover from and then eventually i wipe. I'm level 44 which I thought would be on the high side for this content so I'm wondering if I should be stacking some sort of resistance gear or abilities? I know to attack with lightning, so I have my 3 attackers all spell fencer sub-class using thundara before attacking, and agnes is a white mage/salve maker

Any suggestions?

It's physical- use high defence equipment or PDEF boosters.

Salaadin

Any good ways to make money early on around chapter 3? I read about the Big Pharm trick but grinding Merchant to 11 at this stage will take me forever. I also saw the Mammon elixir steal trick but I dont have any Mammon.

Any good ways to make money early on around chapter 3? I read about the Big Pharm trick but grinding Merchant to 11 at this stage will take me forever. I also saw the Mammon elixir steal trick but I dont have any Mammon.

Just wait til chapter 4 instead, when the trash mobs drop 2 or 3 thousand pg for no reason

Ultrabum

Question on Chapter 3

Any suggestions?

You might try salve maker there /hint.

this has never made sense to me.. Lighting is far from the worst Damn I guess Star Ocean 4's cast was sooooo bad everyone just forgot about them :/

she may not be the worst purely by her in-game appearances (at least FFXIII), but everyone is fucking sick of her by now

Amazon rankings cause lol:
Bravely Default-15th
FFXIII: LR-69th (PS3)

also bonus UK rankings (keep in mind FFXIII: LR released on 2/14 instead of 2/11 in Europe):
FFXIII: LR-20th (PS3), 54th (360)

Bravely Default-78th (still? it's been two months!)

she may not be the worst purely by her in-game appearances (at least FFXIII), but everyone is fucking sick of her by now

Bravely Default-15th

also bonus UK rankings (keep in mind FFXIII: LR released on 2/14 instead of 2/11 in Europe):

Bravely Default is doing better on Amazon.fr

FFXIII: LR-1st (PS3)
Bravely Default-9th (yep, 2 months)
FFXIII: LR-21st (360)

Lace

Finally getting into this game. Really liking the overall feel of the world and the characters. Also, looking for some friends.

Lace
4098-3837-1035

Bravely Default is doing better on Amazon.fr

FFXIII: LR-1st (PS3)
Bravely Default-9th (yep, 2 months)
FFXIII: LR-21st (360)

oh we're playing the around the world game?
I forgot the other country in North America with similar tastes as the USA:
Canada:
Bravely Default-2nd
FFXIII: LR-30th (PS3), 85th (360)

-Horizon-

Still in chapter 1
got the vestal garment made from the rainbow thread thing, heading back to the temple place. Pervy old man trope, check.

neoism

Bravely Default-15th

I agree 100% I'm not even going to buy lighting returns... just some things in the game that puts me off real bad.. I fucking LOOOVED FF13 though,( The battle system, the music, the HD'ness.. everything, just totally clicked with me. The game being really linear didn't bother me either...) I always compared that with FF X it was linear also but didn't get near or no shit for it. :/ 13-2 was ok but got old near the end... plus the dlc really pissed me off and was one of many of the things I fucking LOVED about FF13. I'm most definitely ready for a new universe for an FF game but sadly FF15 is taking near 20 fucking years to come out.
Id say she's up there with them, she would fit perfectly in SO4.

LULZ not even close... but like I said I loved ff13... FF12 being my favorite RPG/FF I'd say Ashe is my favorite female lead... ff12 fo lif

On BD just started chapter 3... 38 hours in level 52 these enemies on this island are way harder... man I can't wait for ninja... had to change my set up.. I had all merchant's :p

Well I finished it. It's pretty good game that's the shell of a great game. It feels rushed and even low budget, like they ran out of time and money and had to scrap something together to put out a finished product. It doesn't help that the writing isn't particularly strong. The story is full of plot holes, it's twists are very poorly executed, and half the dialogue in the game is just boring. But the gameplay remained mostly compelling, and even though it's easy to break the game, I enjoyed doing that. Except the part where I had to
fight the same bosses over and over and over and over and over again.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Didn't get much of a chance to play this yesterday. Definitely will get around to finishing at least chapter 4 today.

ohlawd

people love to mess with SuperSah in the Smash thread about him preferring the 3DS version
lol

gotcha.

shiet I feel like an outlier for not having similar sentiments with everyone here. It's probably because I'm super forgiving when it comes to RPGs. I didn't find Agnes or her voice horrible, I loved the skits, the story was decent and kept me engaged, the latter half of the game is a bit long yeah but I enjoyed myself.

Just entered chapter 2 myself

Does the game really take a tumble after Ch2?

So many different opinions on here

Chapter 3 is pretty dull. There's a bunch of annoying fetch quests and Egil, who turns every scene into a bore. Some of this can be remedied by skipping story scenes.

Vamphuntr

Just entered chapter 2 myself

Does the game really take a tumble after Ch2?

So many different opinions on here

I felt the game was pretty great until you reach Chapter 5 and that really depends on your patience to be honest. Some people got fed up quickly and some people enjoyed it.

I believe it's a good game and I think the sequel ought to be better now that the first title has succeeded and that they will probably enjoy a bigger budget.

Gameplay is ace because of the job system and it let me forget about the other flaws.

Top Bottom