• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

I felt the game was pretty great until you reach Chapter 5 and that really depends on your patience to be honest. Some people got fed up quickly and some people enjoyed it.

I believe it's a good game and I think the sequel ought to be better now that the first title has succeeded and that they will probably enjoy a bigger budget.

Gameplay is ace because of the job system and it let me forget about the other flaws.

Yeah the job system is my favorite part so far.

Everything else is typical jrpg fare but special mention to the amazing art pieces. The combat system is very deep and fantastic. Love the layers.

Sounds like its breakable but that common across any game that has this many variables and options.

Thats why I went full hard mode and no grinding. Just playing normally and tackling fight with what I have. Its been very rewarding so far

Best jrpg since Xenoblade for me

okay, I really need a little job guidance, I'm kinda going off the rails a little bit and don't have many set goals or paths for my characters. Here's what I got so far:

Tiz:
Free 6
Monk 9
Knight 8
Thief 7
Spell Fencer 4
Red Mage 5
Pirate 6

(yeah, I obviously have no idea what I'm doin with him)

Agnes:
White 9
Black 9
Summon 9

Ringabel:
Monk 4
Thief 10
Ranger 5
Red Mage 7

Edea:
Monk 3
Knight 9
Spell Fencer 7
Valkyrie 9

Pirate was the last job I obtained.

If anyone has any good suggestions for paths for each character, jobs that would compliment what I already have leveled, or suggestions on what to focus on with certain characters, that would be greatly beneficial.

Thanks!

okay, I really need a little job guidance, I'm kinda going off the rails a little bit and don't have many set goals or paths for my characters. Here's what I got so far:

Tiz:
Free 6
Monk 9
Knight 8
Thief 7
Spell Fencer 4
Red Mage 5
Pirate 6

(yeah, I obviously have no idea what I'm doin with him)

Agnes:
White 9
Black 9
Summon 9

Ringabel:
Monk 4
Thief 10
Ranger 5
Red Mage 7

Edea:
Monk 3
Knight 9
Spell Fencer 7
Valkyrie 9

Pirate was the last job I obtained.

If anyone has any good suggestions for paths for each character, jobs that would compliment what I already have leveled, or suggestions on what to focus on with certain characters, that would be greatly beneficial.

Thanks!

Try to level Red Mage with all characters, it has some PB/PM skills that are very beneficial for both magic and physical jobs. Spell fencer + Valkyria is really good (well Spell fencer is really useful with any strong physical job), you can take out groups of enemies with elemental weaknesses very easily. WHM has a really useful skill for Knight (or tanks combinations). But until you get the rest of Chapter 3 jobs, there's isnt a realy winning combination. Ninja is a game changer.

Been playing non stop all night, last evening and this morning and am at ch.3 where I'm having trouble with
The fat chemist

Any tips?

It helps if you have a WM w/ Dispel. It'll stop his regen and make him waste turns re-casting it.

But if I remember he has three attacks: Punch, 1000 damage w/ poison, and instant kill attack. All single target, but he does brave when he gets to lower health. Nothing you can do about the instant kill attack but if you put Star Pendants on everyone then he's going to have a hard time doing enough to wipe your party. Otherwise just chip at his health and don't go into negative brave points.

Try to level Red Mage with all characters, it has some PB/PM skills that are very beneficial for both magic and physical jobs. Spell fencer + Valkyria is really good (well Spell fencer is really useful with any strong physical job), you can take out groups of enemies with elemental weaknesses very easily. WHM has a really useful skill for Knight (or tanks combinations). But until you get the rest of Chapter 3 jobs, there's isnt a realy winning combination. Ninja is a game changer.

Cool, thanks for the help. Can I get a little more info on why the Ninja is so good?

The end of chapter four is trying my everlasting patience.

These mailed dragons are OHKO'ing my entire party before I can even get a turn sometimes

not worth it. Skip it
I should have turned of encounters ages ago. I don't know why I'm such a glutton for punishment :'(
Assassin Daggers.
Ugh, I have the bow for that too. Never thought of it.
If you have Vampire, get the Chomp genome from the Valtoras around the Eisen area. 50% chance to hit, but it'll take down any enemy to 1 hp and another hit will kill it, so if you use it with everyone, most of the time they'll be dead in a turn (10k hp).
I didn't do that quest yet. it seemed like it was going to be even longer than the performer quest so I skipped it for now. Seems like I made a huge mistake...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The end of chapter four is trying my everlasting patience.

These mailed dragons are OHKO'ing my entire party before I can even get a turn sometimes

If you have Vampire, get the Chomp genome from the Valtoras around the Eisen area. 50% chance to hit, but it'll take down any enemy to 1 hp and another hit will kill it, so if you use it with everyone, most of the time they'll be dead in a turn (10k hp).

macklelol

How would be have the vampire job on the quest to get the vampire job lol

Waited, mailed dragons are a normal enemy, right? I'm dumb.

No what are talking about, the chapter 4
vampire
subquest is great. Really fleshes out a ton of backstory. And literally all you need to do is
get a team of 4 ninjas and have that umetsumi (sp?) on at all times. You can win without taking any damage at all.

macklelol

Because those enemies aren't in that place?

I thought he was talking about the
Dragon bosses for the Vampire quest
, totally forgot about the normal enemy called mailed dragon.

I probably didn't really remember them cause I had the insta-kill daggers and bow lol

ohlawd

Also way to ruin my good grinding spot chapter 5, now having fucking
ice golems spawning in mobs in eternia.

wrong place to grind if you're doing exp/jp. You should be fighting Rafflesia mobs in Witherwood Interior in the Florem area

Dragon

Banned
I know I'm only two hours in but these characters are really poorly done so far. I don't even think it's just the bad voice acting. They're so derivative and formulaic. I found myself rooting for the baddies to win. And Ringabel ain't helping.

GstS2eI.jpg

Loco4Coco

I feel like I'm having lots of luck in this game. I don't know if my party has the right job/ability combos (just working with a bunch of random jobs) but I'm going through the game with no trouble.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I thought he was talking about the
Dragon bosses for the Vampire quest
, totally forgot about the normal enemy called mailed dragon.

I probably didn't really remember them cause I had the insta-kill daggers and bow lol

lol all good dude, I can see how you'd mix them up.

Two options come to mind besides using the red mage skill directly.

(job/strategy spoilers)
Performer can be used to give BP via "one more for you" or whatever it is. Have whatever character is useless to you just do this three times.

Plan B and what got me through the game is to use the spiritmaster stillness ability. What you can then do is cast stillness, default while the enemy loses their BP and then unleash. Then cast stillness again and repeat. If you have a good pirate going, you should be able to take down most anything after a few cycles of 4x9999.

The only thing that can mess that up is status ailments, but that is where BP recover comes in...which of course gets you even more BP.

Alll right thanks. I'll definitely give the skills/support skills some read.

Leezard

Also way to ruin my good grinding spot chapter 5, now having fucking
ice golems spawning in mobs in eternia.

Grind at
The fire continent (they can be killed with healing spells/phoenix downs), and later at the water continent.

I suspect it is more due to new players just playing the damn game, rather than grinding for JP or PG or whatever it is that veterans do to jade themselves.

Grinding hasnt been necessary for me so far even in hard mode

Id have to comb through the thread to put my take on some of the criticisms.

I think I can identify with a few of them but I am very positive about thr game overall.

Pleasantly suprised at how fun it is

Is there a point later on that elemental damage stops being that useful? Because right now my set up is

Ninja w/ thief

Pirate w/ swordmaster [will change to valkyrie since I don't want to use free lunch until I earn it myself]

Black Mage w/ perfomer

Spirit Master w/ White Mage

I'm thinking of turning Ringabel, the Black Mage w/ performer, into a primary perfomer and simply use his magic as entirely support as well. Stuff like giving more BP and attack to my ninja and pirate since as of right now, elemental damage is doing jacksquat for damage against enemies. Even when they have an elemental weakness.

I might even turn Ringabel into a vampire as well.

Top Bottom