• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Theandrin

I'm with the loving this game crowd. I'm only a little into chapter 3 so far, but its been a long time since I have had this much fun with an RPG.

I agree that Agnes is a little "unacceptable" but I can overlook that based on the large qualities throughout the rest of the game so far. Story isn't amazing or really out of this world yet, but I really like how the sidequests are really fleshing out the overall story and building the world. I'm already looking forward to a sequal.

bumpkin

Holy crap, that battle
against three Automatons in the Keep after you grab the toxic mist sample was a bitch! If I didn't have two 9999 attack friend summons, I'd have been hosed.

I actually really like Agnes. Yeah, at times you wanna just smack her, but it's not like she whines about EVERYTHING, she just really doesn't like burdening other people. Also, "Unacceptable!" is hilarious to me.

I actually really like Agnes. Yeah, at times you wanna just smack her, but it's not like she whines about EVERYTHING, she just really doesn't like burdening other people. Also, "Unacceptable!" is hilarious to me.

Her character itself isn't bad, it's just a boring trope and the voice acting is horrendous at many times in english. At least Tiz' english voice is pretty decent voice acting, even if the character is another boring trope

Don't read for fear of spoilers.

8 chapters plus a Finale chapter, depending on whether you destroy the crystal for Normal ending or awaken all the crystals through Chapter 8 and go on for the true ending.

Ok sweet

so it seems like true ending isn't a complete pain in the ass like other games where you need to meet all these requirements or do these things nobody would think to do. I'm looking at you Persona 4 Golden

thanks

Velcro Fly

Sometimes this game is really wordy when all I want to do is go out and grind jobs or explore. Not sure if it's more wordy than the Golden Sun games but it might be close. At least I can turn cut scenes on auto and just watch. I'm on Chapter 2 and really enjoying the game. Just that it's a bit wordy sometimes.

Also leveling jobs is addicting. New spells in the shop? Better level that job so that I can use them! I still have not set goal yet. I know I want Agnes to be my healer but the other three I could go any direction.

Frolow

Banned
Quick question regarding the
multiple endings:
If I get the
normal ending,
can I go back on the same save file and get the
true ending,
or will I have to start
a NG+ save file
to get both?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
multiple endings:
If I get the
normal ending,
true ending,
or will I have to start
a NG+ save file
to get both?

Each ending will ask you to save your data and starts you at the beginning of the last cycle. True ending clear will also unlock NG+ and you start the game over from the very beginning.

Sometimes this game is really wordy when all I want to do is go out and grind jobs or explore. Not sure if it's more wordy than the Golden Sun games but it might be close. At least I can turn cut scenes on auto and just watch. I'm on Chapter 2 and really enjoying the game. Just that it's a bit wordy sometimes.

Also leveling jobs is addicting. New spells in the shop? Better level that job so that I can use them! I still have not set goal yet. I know I want Agnes to be my healer but the other three I could go any direction.

It can't be wordier than Golden Sun
that game's over 70k words just for the first game (and if you combine the sequel it's longer than A Tale of Two Cities #truthfact)

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
multiple endings:
If I get the
normal ending,
true ending,
or will I have to start
a NG+ save file
to get both?

I did it accidentally, and it
put me back, kept my XP and everything.

Fandangox

Chapter 4: Accidentally discovered a pretty broken setup while
defeating the six dragons
I had Tiz as my Ninja, and had him use the dodge a physical attack move at the beginning of everyone of his turns. I gave him a Red Mage ability that raises BP points when an attack is dodged, gave him the ability that raises his defense and attack every time he dodges, and also gave him the one where he counters if he dodges.

The dragons have no magical attacks, as long as Tiz goes first and uses the dodge move he wont able able to be attacked ever and will always counter attack while gaining BP and stats. It only works if he is only if Tiz is the only one alive, as otherwise his dodge won't have him counter attack if other party members are targetted.

Chapter 4: Accidentally discovered a pretty broken setup while
defeating the six dragons
I had Tiz as my Ninja, and had him use the dodge a physical attack move at the beginning of everyone of his turns. I gave him a Red Mage ability that raises BP points when an attack is dodged, gave him the ability that raises his defense and attack every time he dodges, and also gave him the one where he counters if he dodges.

The dragons have no magical attacks, as long as Tiz goes first and uses the dodge move he wont able able to be attacked ever and will always counter attack while gaining BP and stats. It only works if he is only if Tiz is the only one alive, as otherwise his dodge won't have him counter attack if other party members are targetted.

At this point in the game there aren't really 'broken' set-ups as long as you're using skills you can realistically get by yourself [aka not abilinks] which the ones you described can easily be done by oneself. Coincidentally, you could also
use spiritmaster to make everyone not take damage for 2 turns, keep using it when it ends. You could make Tiz learn taunt alongside the ninja skills or simply keep defaulting and use the thief skill that does 9999 damage with a speedy character.

At this point it's simply smart planning. If you want to talk broken set-ups, talk about a Pirate/swordmaster. Free lunch+amped strikex4 can have you do like 32K with 4 attacks.

At this point in the game there aren't really 'broken' set-ups as long as you're using skills you can realistically get by yourself [aka not abilinks] which the ones you described can easily be done by oneself. Coincidentally, you could also
use spiritmaster to make everyone not take damage for 2 turns, keep using it when it ends. You could make Tiz learn taunt alongside the ninja skills or simply keep defaulting and use the thief skill that does 9999 damage with a speedy character.

At this point it's simply smart planning. If you want to talk broken set-ups, talk about a Pirate/swordmaster. Free lunch+amped strikex4 can have you do like 32K with 4 attacks.

Free Lunch is for the weak
real pros use MP Free in a Pinch

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Breath in breath out... ok... ok now....

o2d4m.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Continuing off of that with 3 Bravely Second Amp strikes same turn will also be brutal.

For example say I attacked(assuming you did FL+3 AS prior) 4 times with Amp Strike then BS all 3 uses. That's 9999x4 +around 11k x3 which would equal 380996 points of damage. And if I substituted that last hit for a Gigaton Swing(Special move) I would do around 20k on that attack alone through BS. In which the total damage would be 389996 points of damage.

Yeah.

Will try. Could be awesome.

Fandangox

Oh my, haven't used spirit master much, didn't know you could do that.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Gonna have to try that

You know, I wouldn't feel so bad about having free amped strike if I used this, since I can technically use it right now seeing how it's not a level 14 skill like free lunch. All I would have to do is keep my pirate at relatively low health, cure her/revive her with relatively weak magic. Rinse and repeat until the boss is about to die, then better not risk her dying and fully heal her. The last thing I need is one character falling behind like 4k in experience. That shit's just annoying to try and kill everybody else so they catch up with each other.

CLEEK

Some first world problems right here.

Just got the Salve-Maker asterisk and changed Ringabel's job to this. But his is the slowest of my team, so by the time it's his turn to act, Tiz/Edea have murdered all the enemies. Ringabel is now at job level 4, and I've never even used his abilities yet.

The game as been a breeze ever since the tail end of the first chapter. I guess I could ramp up the difficulty, but the fact my team are so overpowered is fun in itself. I haven't had a boss fight that lasted more than 3-4 turns since the opening few hours.

rybrad

Just got to Chapter 5, are the side quests here actually worth doing? I am leaning towards no.

I did one of the boss fights and the steal was just some garbage ass Turbo Ethers so not seeing a lot of reasons to do all of these again.

It helps if you have a WM w/ Dispel. It'll stop his regen and make him waste turns re-casting it.

But if I remember he has three attacks: Punch, 1000 damage w/ poison, and instant kill attack. All single target, but he does brave when he gets to lower health. Nothing you can do about the instant kill attack but if you put Star Pendants on everyone then he's going to have a hard time doing enough to wipe your party. Otherwise just chip at his health and don't go into negative brave points.

Thanks

I've just about done all of the chapter 5 sidequests and it doesn't seem as awful as people have made it out to be. Probably helps that I'm annihilating everything anyway. The problem is that
it makes no sense for Edea and everyone to have the same dialogue with some of the generals, the swordmaster being a primary example of being the exact same thing.

Leezard

Just got to Chapter 5, are the side quests here actually worth doing? I am leaning towards no.

I did one of the boss fights and the steal was just some garbage ass Turbo Ethers so not seeing a lot of reasons to do all of these again.

Steals are mainly worth in chapter 7 and on.

AEREC

Only in chapter 1 (anchiem) but Airy and Agnes are really annoying characters...or maybe it's just their voices that are grating on me.

you know.....
what really sucks is the earlygame bosses still have stupidly basic patterns in chapters 5-8
also Holly still can't heal worth shit

Vamphuntr

I've just about done all of the chapter 5 sidequests and it doesn't seem as awful as people have made it out to be. Probably helps that I'm annihilating everything anyway. The problem is that
it makes no sense for Edea and everyone to have the same dialogue with some of the generals, the swordmaster being a primary example of being the exact same thing.

Now have fun doing them again and again in the next chapters.

Ken

Chapter 5

There's a subquest marker in Eternia Central Command but I've already beaten Victoria and Victor. What else is in there?

Chapter 5

Anything interesting if I do stuff widely out of order? I get the sense that I'm supposed to do everything in order, but w/ the airship there's nothing stopping me fighting the bosses in reverse order. I kinda doubt the game will actually change the spoken lines or anything of the sort.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
So if you use your net invite for the day is that the only way besides streetpass to get nemesis battles? basically trying to get the Mammon that holds elixirs.

Top Bottom