• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I have a question.. At the end of chapter 4...

The obelisks with the dragon battles, should I grind and fight them before I go into the white light? Because the green one destroyed me. I'm just wondering because Airy said that I should get everything I need before I go through.

RDreamer

Wow, saving your specials for bosses can make the fights go rather quickly. Just did 4 specials in a row, 2 of which hit the boss's weakness. Also upped criticals and lowered defense and raised phys attack. I beat it in one turn because I hit nothing but criticals.

Ken

The obelisks with the dragon battles, should I grind and fight them before I go into the white light? Because the green one destroyed me. I'm just wondering because Airy said that I should get everything I need before I go through.

You can fight them again later if you want. They just open up the Vampire Castle subquest and a job.

Sora_N

I'm on chapter 1 still. Is it necessary to buy more magic? Getting money is going to take a while. I didnt get the new ones available yet lol.

TheBear

I hear lots of good things about this game, but I'm not much a of a JRPG fan so I'm hesitant to jump in. I did however get totally absorbed by P4G, and enjoy the Mario & Luigi games. Is this worth checking out?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Can't wait til I finish chapter 5, so that I too may say "what the fuck?"

I hear lots of good things about this game, but I'm not much a of a JRPG fan so I'm hesitant to jump in. I did however get totally absorbed by P4G, and enjoy the Mario & Luigi games. Is this worth checking out?

Personally, I think it's very accessible. I have a few friends who aren't really into RPGs at all and they've been enjoying it.

Fandangox

You don't really need to grind, all of their attacks are physical, so if you bring a ninja that can use the physical dodge turn at the beginning of every turn you should have no problem. The Templar Job with Rampar also protects everyone from a single physical hit, if you can time them well.

I don't know if you can do them later, but if you are interested in the story the vampire castle provides a lot of backstory.

Also I just got on chapter 5
I re-battled the White Mage and the Monk, didn't anyone else felt terrible about killing them? :c Do you get something if you rebattle all the asterisk owners again?

Just unlocked (chapter 3 job)
Swordmaster
. How good is this job exactly? I'd like to make that Edea's main job
for story reasons.

So many jobs....it's so hard to decide which to use

What are your favourite combinations?

I like Thief/Spell Fencer best so far but I'm trying out some other jobs now

RDreamer

Lol dude I've been trying for days. I refused to grind!

But yeah, turns out the key was specials for me as well.

I didn't grind either, and absolutely haven't in this game yet. As I said, 4 specials did it in one turn. I had saved up the claw special, which was thunder based and did 9999 damage and upped attack power. I did a spear special that upped criticals and did a ton of damage. I did a sword special that lowered p def, and I did a bow special that upped physical attack. Everyone braved too and attacked after the specials. Hit a ton of really high damaging crits with everyone and bam, dead.

clem84

Gold Member
When you go to the save menu, there will be an option to update data. When you do that everyday, you usually get 3-4 additional villagers a day.

Ok I just did that. I have 4 extra people to help the rebuilding effort but now my town is overrun by nemeses, 5 of them, and they're way too strong for me. Can I still build the town even with them being there? Will this change anything to the rebuilding process?

Alright so... Chapter 6.

Why is no one questioning the fact that the Eternian guys I'm killing are clearly not evil now? Like they die and then everyone says "that's weird" and moves on without wondering about it. At least the white mage and the monk survived!

Ok I just did that. I have 4 extra people to help the rebuilding effort but now my town is overrun by nemeses, 5 of them, and they're way too strong for me. Can I still build the town even with them being there? Will this change anything to the rebuilding process?

Nemesis really don't change anything at all. They are just there to have monsters to fight when you feel like it. Your town will grow and upgrade just fine.

Alright so... Chapter 6.

Why is no one questioning the fact that the Eternian guys I'm killing are clearly not evil now? Like they die and then everyone says "that's weird" and moves on without wondering about it. At least the white mage and the monk survived!
The continuity in this game often makes absolutely no sense. Things learned in one scene are ignored in the next. The scenes feel like patched together things that don't belong together. It's a real problem with the game. What the characters know and what their motivations are post-chapter 4 are a clusterfuck. It changes scene to scene.

Just beat the
6 dragons
in chapter 4. I gotta be honest once I decided to not use the abilink free lunch, it made these fights long as hell and very painful. These must've been the first fights I had to preplan a LOT. That included getting my pirate to 20% of its health, using the right status preventing equipment/element resistance and everything.

The
fire and dark one
for some reason killed me like 3-4 times each. I hadn't been that frustrated in a while. Jesus christ. I really hate 1-hit kill attacks and every single one of them had one which was bullshit.

Just beat the
6 dragons
in chapter 4. I gotta be honest once I decided to not use the abilink free lunch, it made these fights long as hell and very painful. These must've been the first fights I had to preplan a LOT. That included getting my pirate to 20% of its health, using the right status preventing equipment/element resistance and everything.

The
fire and dark one
for some reason killed me like 3-4 times each. I hadn't been that frustrated in a while. Jesus christ. I really hate 1-hit kill attacks and every single one of them had one which was bullshit.

Ninja+Utsusemi, set to auto, take a break
COME ON, MAN *insert jpg here*

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Just beat the
6 dragons

The
fire and dark one
That's why I skipped it.. Didn't want to deal with that at the moment

Fandangox

Got my ass cleaned out good by the
Fire temple boss. Any tips? Also, where do you get the pirate job?

The pirate Job is in chapter 3 after you go to the blue marker check on the shack Datz and Zatz are. After that you won't get any indication as to where the Pirate is. You have to sail north of Grandship or South of it and go to a misty area, there will be a small cutscene, choose "board"

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Is
Kamiizumi
not fightable in Chapter 5? I can't find him.

Where are they? I'm in Chapter 5 and I haven't seen them.

When you're flying around on Grandship, touch the Grandship icon again, then go inside the ship. Magic shop there has the higher level white, black, and time magic spells

You can safely ignore them.

For some reason, the breath attacks are physical. I don't get it, either.

The dragons
only use physical attacks.

icGw8sY.gif

GOD. FUCKING. DAMMIT. They should've made that clearer. It looked like elemental attacks considering the
eye attack that caused weakness
Or I should've attempted it once.

Somebody's at fault. It doesn't matter now, that's like an hour and a half wasted.

RangerBAD

Chapter 2 side-objective: I'm having some trouble with the
DeRosa
fight.
He keeps getting Revenge to activate.
Any strategies?

KarmaCow

Got my ass cleaned out good by the
Fire temple boss. Any tips? Also, where do you get the pirate job?

Defend when it has it's shield up and use Valkyries to Jump away or use Spirit Barrier when it's going to use it's Energy Blast attack. It follows a pretty set pattern so you can predict when it will happen.

Alternatively,
attack items will pierce the shield so you can use Salve-Makers with Experiment to make attack items and their level 4 support ability which boosts attack items.

DeRosa
fight.
Any strategies?

It activates whenever he takes damage, so just accept he will heal. Revenge can only build so many BPs until it maxes out so go for burst damage rather than little hits here and there. As long as you can do more than ~2.4k or whatever he heals, you can just outlast him with a little luck. Maybe equip some weapons with specials that have easy activation requirements like Swords or Spears.

No matter the reason for Chapter 5 and 6's gameplay issues, the writing flaws are unacceptable. The character's reactions to what is going on make absolutely no sense.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Parts of those chapters have large evidence of recycled lines and material. I hope the second game does not have that issue.

RDreamer

DeRosa
fight.
Any strategies?

Get Abate lightning on everyone, and probably some magic defense skill if you have it. As far as I saw he only does thunder for a spell, so that's all you have to block. As someone else said, too, go for big bursts. Hit him with everything you got all at once so you can mitigate his cura.

Top Bottom