• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

No matter the reason for Chapter 5 and 6's gameplay issues, the writing flaws are unacceptable. The character's reactions to what is going on make absolutely no sense.

It doesn't get any better in chapter 7 and 8. Entire plot arcs are forgotten.
The entire party minus Edea becomes aware of Airy's treachery, yet forget about it? What was the point of those scenes in the vestment cave?
There's no continuity at all. Both the writing and gameplay are patched together pieces that don't fit, the game feels unfinished in many regards.

burgerdog

Should I bother learning most genome skills now, gaf? I want to move the story forward but if doing it now is the suggested route all do that.

Ok I can't believe I'm asking this. How do I defeat
vampire
? Here lies yet another cheap battle where the guy keeps doing shit you shouldn't be able to do. He first steals BP from one of my guys, then does an area attack that basically kills all but the person with full health (usually the ninja). I tried making all of my party members ninjas and doing utsutsemi at the beginning of each turn plus the corresponding support abilities (countering, red mage bp up when evading, etc) but for some reason he still is able to steal BP and do the massive area attack damage that kills everybody. In fact the only time he really stops doing this is when there's only one guy left alive, but I don't want to defeat him with just one guy. Massive level difference afterwards. The 'easy' strategy I read says this is the way to do it, but I assume the guy never got area attacked.

spiritfox

vampire
? Here lies yet another cheap battle where the guy keeps doing shit you shouldn't be able to do. He first steals BP from one of my guys, then does an area attack that basically kills all but the person with full health (usually the ninja). I tried making all of my party members ninjas and doing utsutsemi at the beginning of each turn plus the corresponding support abilities (countering, red mage bp up when evading, etc) but for some reason he still is able to steal BP and do the massive area attack damage that kills everybody. In fact the only time he really stops doing this is when there's only one guy left alive, but I don't want to defeat him with just one guy. Massive level difference afterwards. The 'easy' strategy I read says this is the way to do it, but I assume the guy never got area attacked.

He will Energy Burst the turn after stealing BP, so Default then and heal up after. Bone Crush deals damage based on HP lost, so if you keep your health topped up it wouldn't do any damage at all. I thought he was easier than the Dragons

Velcro Fly

Just unlocked (Ch2)
Valkyrie.

That Lu Bu spear I bought in chapter 1 and the bracers I stole off that boss help but man I'm a beast!

Starting to get a picture of what I want everyone to do for the main game. Of course I'll max all jobs for everyone at some point!

KHlover

Banned
The entire party minus Edea becomes aware of Airy's treachery, yet forget about it? What was the point of those scenes in the vestment cave?
There's no continuity at all. Both the writing and gameplay are patched together pieces that don't fit, the game feels unfinished in many regards.
They haven't forgotten. They pretend to have forgotten everything to avoid Airy's attention. If Airy got mad at them they would have to fight her too early, ruining their chance to kill Ourobos since Airy was defeated before being able to revive him.

For the story to make sense you must get the "secret" ending first though. That's where the group learns of Airy's plan to revive Ourobos in the first place.

Zing

Banned
So many jobs....it's so hard to decide which to use

What are your favourite combinations?

I like Thief/Spell Fencer best so far but I'm trying out some other jobs now

Currently:
Edea, Spell Fencer/Knight - Protect Ally is a great ability
Tiz, Knight/Monk - I also keep Freelancer at a decent level. Although, I recently decided to try Summoner/White Mage, since he has decent MND and Agnes focuses on INT and damage.
Ringabell, Thief/Monk - I feel as though I am waiting for a better sub-job to come along. Tonight, I decided to also have him level Freelancer. I tried Merchant with him, but the job just seems to do nothing. I should also try Spell Fencer.
Agnes, Black/Time Mage - She was White Mage, but healing can be done with items and the protection spells didn't seem so useful yet.

They haven't forgotten. They pretend to have forgotten everything to avoid Airy's attention. If Airy got mad at them they would have to fight her too early, ruining their chance to kill Ourobos since Airy was defeated before being able to revive him.

For the story to make sense you must get the "secret" ending first though. That's where the group learns of Airy's plan to revive Ourobos in the first place.
No, they still act surprised when Airy outs herself in the true ending. The game acts like only Ringabel knew.

He will Energy Burst the turn after stealing BP, so Default then and heal up after. Bone Crush deals damage based on HP lost, so if you keep your health topped up it wouldn't do any damage at all. I thought he was easier than the Dragons

I figured out
the trick to bonecrusher and energy burst
after I wrote this. I guess my issue was when the latter did a critical and killed my healer. She was fast and strong enough she could heal the whole party before he did anything else, but kill her and the extra time to revive her and heal her up would cause him to do another one of the cheap attacks and murder me. I just had to keep trying till he didn't critical specifically with the latter. And I finally beat him. I died less times than with the
dragons
yeah. It was just stressful to have to deal with another cheap tactic right after dealing with the cheap tactic of those guys

vampire

Utsusemi will dodge his BP steal attack, so I'm not really sure how he hurts you if you just spam it. Maybe he's BP stealing you when you have to stop utsusemi spam to heal off Graviga. I managed it by using Utusemi + Kairai to the Ninja, he barely got an Energy Blast in.

You could always use Stillness or Convert BP + Rampart if you wanna cheese it.

Also, it depends on your level, but a Nothing Ventured w/ Counter Amp will reduce the damage he does significantly and deal a crapton of counter damage. It'll activate even if the attack does zero damage (thanks to Rampart), so that's a fairly safe way to damage him. If you're rich and have Norende leveled up you can just Dark Bane + Shadowflare him to death w/ a salve maker too.

Thank you. This annoyed the shit out of me.

(end game spoilers)
They find out that she is evil and trying to do something really bad and then spend three cycles just "watching her" to see what happens. And then it is like "holy shit, that thing we were warned about and just waited to happen actually happened!?!? How were we supposed to know???

And yes, (more general spoiler)
If it ever comes down to a life or death fight between me and my daughter, I'll take a couple of minutes to explain shit to her first.

But in general the game has a big problem with revealing things in optional quests that later gets completely ignored. They really need to sort that out for the next one.

bumpkin

Ugh, seriously.
Fuck Praline. The fight is impossible.
Anyone have any tips? Seems like every strategy I've employed has failed miserably.

Utsusemi will dodge his BP steal attack, so I'm not really sure how he hurts you if you just spam it. Maybe he's BP stealing you when you have to stop utsusemi spam to heal off Graviga. I managed it by using Utusemi + Kairai to the Ninja, he barely got an Energy Blast in.

You could always use Stillness or Convert BP + Rampart if you wanna cheese it.

Also, it depends on your level, but a Nothing Ventured w/ Counter Amp will reduce the damage he does significantly and deal a crapton of counter damage. It'll activate even if the attack does zero damage (thanks to Rampart), so that's a fairly safe way to damage him. If you're rich and have Norende leveled up you can just Dark Bane + Shadowflare him to death w/ a salve maker too.

I assume the issue was that he was faster than at least one of my party members, so he was able to do it before they did it. But I've already beaten him. I got the genome and I got the fuck out of there. As much exp and jp as those enemies in the tower seem to give it's not worth having to deal with their high speed and strong counters. I'd rather grind somewhere else.

Okay, I just got to chapter 5, and I want to start grinding some jobs out to see what they offer. Any good spots?

Fly to the island North-east of Florem and hunt Rafflesia. You are looking for the one that has snow, grass and a beach.

Should be able to get around 4-500 jp a throw and they show up pretty often.

Ugh, seriously.
Anyone have any tips? Seems like every strategy I've employed has failed miserably.

Depends on your setup, but the biggest tip is that fight is very easy (I know, not helpful...). So if you are struggling it is time to level up or sort some better job combos out. All I can say is take out the helpers first and the boss can't do much at all. On the other hand, if your party is in trouble, leave one alive so the other will not spawn.

KarmaCow

Ugh, seriously.

You've probably done this but try keeping one unit alive so she doesn't spawn more in. They don't have much health so you can try blitzing one at the beginning. I think the support units are more susceptible to status ailments too if you want to try that.

Claneko

Just started this game this morning....and I like it a lot! It invokes a feel I haven't had in quite some time, and only rarely have since the 16 and 32 bit days.

Fey

Banned
I started skipping every and all the cutscenes since (and due to)
Egil's
appearance, and I think I'm enjoying the game a little more now lol. Just following the yellow and blue markers on the maps to get to where I need to go next.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on with the story, but I'm actually happy about that.

Chris R

Just got destroyed by the first real boss fight :( Thought it might be one of those fights where you "die" to continue the story but I guess not. Running from the castle straight to the lake was a bad idea with no gear or levels heh.

Shun

Any word on whether or not the JP costumes are coming to the NA version?

Bravo Bunny, Military Cadet, Dimensional Officer, and Wakoku Warrior?

I'd be pretty disappointed if none of those came...

Chapter 6

Alright, so we know that
Airy is evil (which was obvious pretty early on)... yet we're still going to the Earth crystal? I haven't actually gotten there yet so I don't know what happens there but it kind of seems like a bad call.

Also the
Conjurer
sidequest was really cool. Its a shame it doesn't really make sense in the scheme of
this "parallel world" (not like they explain whats different here anyway).
Also that the characters will probably forget everything they learned, just like with the
vampire
one lol.

I just got up to Chapter 2, I'm really enjoying this so far. The dialogue and story is fairly dumb, in my opinion, but I love the battle system and it's just so rewarding to successfully beat a great boss or enemy after trying to figure out how to do so. My team is pretty balanced I feel, and it's very rewarding to save up cash and spend it all on great weapons and items. I never extensively played a JRPG before so I'm happy to have started with this one, it's really great.

I've been playing for 40+ hours and I think the game is great. My only suggestion would've been to add an in-battle soft reset. Oh well.

Goddamn, this fucking
vampire
has been info dumping me for almost an hour about absolute nonsense, and i had to redo this fight three times before finding a strategy that worked (good old ninja evasion cheese, lol.) Think I'm probably gonna cut this game loose pretty soon

Goddamn, this fucking
vampire
has been info dumping me for almost an hour about absolute nonsense, and i had to redo this fight three times before finding a strategy that worked (good old ninja evasion cheese, lol.) Think I'm probably gonna cut this game loose pretty soon

Why aren't you skipping scenes?

denshuu

Just unlocked (chapter 3 job)
Swordmaster
. How good is this job exactly? I'd like to make that Edea's main job
for story reasons.

It's the job I used for both Edea and Tiz for the rest of the game. Have your Swordmaster take levels in Pirate so that you can learn Amped Strike. Then Brave 3 times, use Free Lunch (which makes all your skills cost 0 MP for the next two turns), and then use Amped Strike (400% damage) three times. Then next turn, use it 4 more times. With two Swordmasters, that's 9999 damage 14 times in two turns. And that's not counting whatever damage you happen to stack on from your Counters.

Early on it might be better to make a Pirate with Swordmaster skills for the extra damage, but once you get high enough level to where you can hit the 9999 damage cap with Swordmaster, switch back to Swordmaster with Pirate skills for the better armor, speed, and innate counter.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Goddamn, this fucking
vampire

It's backstory and some of it is also very important.

Oh fucking
Qada
. I beated
Praline
in one go, but this guy is fucking impossible. (i've been rambling about many bosses and i kinda feel now like a shitty player )

pd: i love everything about this game.

Oh fucking
Qada
. I beated
Praline
in one go, but this guy is fucking impossible. (i've been rambling about many bosses and i kinda feel now like a shitty player )

pd: i love everything about this game.

If you beat
Praline, Qada
[ shouldn't be too tough.

Stock up on BP, keep your party above 1000 HP with constant healing and buy a bucket-load of Phoenix Downs so you can Brave, Phoenix Down and heal in one go.

Bit late now, but you could steal Star Pendants from
Praline's
minions to negate Poison. Can't recall if you can buy them.

Top Bottom