• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

I wish that the characters had (chapter 6 major spoilers yo)
questioned the reasoning/purpose of reawakening the crystals earlier than chapter 6. One of the (other) major writing flaws in this game is that the Eternian forces are written in a way that gives a sense of moral ambiguity due to their dedication to their cause and that they don't seem completely evil. Yet the heroes never seem to question it, and when the light pillar thing fails the first time they just say "well that sucked, lets do it again!" without question. Meanwhile I was already wondering if this was the right thing to do before I had even beaten chapter 3. The writers tried to cover for this by making reviving the crystals a good thing and making all the bad guys comically evil but it just doesn't work.

Of course, this maybe wouldn't have happened had the people who actually knew about
the harrowing told the protagonists what was going to happen. The sage even said that he knew that Airy was a bad guy when they first met, but he didn't say anything because of Agnes or something stupid like that. Speaking of Agnes, she might be one of the worst protagonists in any RPG ever. Her conviction to do all this stuff and belief that the Eternian forces are wrong without question is the entire fucking reason shit is about to go down next chapter. Fuck you Agnes.

Basically the writers were like "believe these guys are 100% evil" but then wrote them in a way where they weren't and it screws up the plot completely (and makes the protagonists look even dumber than they already are).

I wish that the characters had (chapter 6 major spoilers yo)
questioned the reasoning/purpose of reawakening the crystals earlier than chapter 6. One of the (other) major writing flaws in this game is that the Eternian forces are written in a way that gives a sense of moral ambiguity due to their dedication to their cause and that they don't seem completely evil. Yet the heroes never seem to question it, and when the light pillar thing fails the first time they just say "well that sucked, lets do it again!" without question. Meanwhile I was already wondering if this was the right thing to do before I had even beaten chapter 3. The writers tried to cover for this by making reviving the crystals a good thing and making all the bad guys comically evil but it just doesn't work.

Of course, this maybe wouldn't have happened had the people who actually knew about
the harrowing told the protagonists what was going to happen. The sage even said that he knew that Airy was a bad guy when they first met, but he didn't say anything because of Agnes or something stupid like that. Speaking of Agnes, she might be one of the worst protagonists in any RPG ever. Her conviction to do all this stuff and belief that the Eternian forces are wrong without question is the entire fucking reason shit is about to go down next chapter. Fuck you Agnes.

Basically the writers were like "believe these guys are 100% evil" but then wrote them in a way where they weren't and it screws up the plot completely (and makes the protagonists look even dumber than they already are).

This game would be much improved if it was chopped in half and the MCs were smarter and actually questioned things once in a while, yes. It would have been great if there was an option to reason with/talk so some of the less obviously evil commanders from the start

Guys I've missed the
pirate asterisk
. I understand that
there's an opportunity to get it again later on
, but have I missed the sidequests that goes along with it for good? Because if so... uggggh.

Just started Chapter 4. Need help. Spoiler:
how do I beat the ice giant blocking the way into the town?

Also random enemies are owning my party even though they're all lvl 58. :(

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 7 spoilers:
these sidequests are actually really cool. I'm not seeing any reason for the existences of Chapter 5 and 6 now, except padding in a game that's already bloody long. Literally everything in 5/6 could be crammed into the beginning of 7.

Just started Chapter 4. Need help. Spoiler:
how do I beat the ice giant blocking the way into the town?

Also random enemies are owning my party even though they're all lvl 58. :(

There's a big difficulty spike, yeah. All it does is physical, so high PDEF is a must, as well as ice resistance.
Ninja level 4 also completely cheeses it as you can evade everything it does.

You can't miss asterisks, although one doesn't show up until chapter 6 and
Vampire
becomes harder to obtain the longer you wait (per chapter)

eh no
the stats of the dragons and
Lester DeRosso
don't change between chapters, aside from him actually having less HP in chapters 7/8

End of chapter 4/sidequest

Wow, dat Vampire quest. So much backstory revealed and the boss fights were epic even if the dragons started getting a little repetitive. So DeRosso is the author of D's journal using the Angel's prophecy? I like that more than any of the other possible explanations :lol

One thing though, and this kinds of goes back to my problem with no one in the party seemingly knowing who Edea was even though it was discussed a hundred times during her conversations with the Eternians. Did DeRosso not just tell everyone that Airy is tricking them into awakening the crystals? I'm pretty sure that he did but instead of going "WHAT! YOU LITTLE BITCH!!!" everyone is just like "...oh, OK." :/

What the hell???

End of chapter 4/sidequest

Wow, dat Vampire quest. So much backstory revealed and the boss fights were epic even if the dragons started getting a little repetitive. So DeRosso is the author of D's journal using the Angel's prophecy? I like that more than any of the other possible explanations :lol

One thing though, and this kinds of goes back to my problem with no one in the party seemingly knowing who Edea was even though it was discussed a hundred times during her conversations with the Eternians. Did DeRosso not just tell everyone that Airy is tricking them into awakening the crystals? I'm pretty sure that he did but instead of going "WHAT! YOU LITTLE BITCH!!!" everyone is just like "...oh, OK." :/

What the hell???

er....
DeRosso isn't the author of D's journal, keep going dude

LayLa

lol

4M5j8h2.jpg

Ryne

Where's a good place to grind after the
engine room in chapter 3?

Just got a bunch of cool jobs I want to level before I use.

You can't miss asterisks, although one doesn't show up until chapter 6 and
Vampire
becomes harder to obtain the longer you wait (per chapter)

Because that asterisk wasn't hard enough as is, they make it harder.

lol

http://i.imgur.com/4M5j8h2.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Well this meme has officially done everything haha

edit: guys if you're going to spoiler something try and make it clear what chapter it is so people don't risk clicking and getting a huge spoiler. If you really want help that is, as I refuse to click something if it doesn't specify what chapter it is

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Finished!

Man after chapter 4, things really drag.. I don't think I'm going to go for the true final stage for a while. The grind of re fighting bosses was a pain.. Overall though I liked the game a lot though.

It feels so good not to have to worry what's under these spoiler blocks now.

I am, but I still have to chew through their health.

I hope in Bravely Second enemies have, say, 60% less HP. You'd think the designers would have seen the flaw in their combat system when they had to revise combat speed multiple times, then add in 2X/4X fast forward

The one bad thing about getting stuff from Gamefly is that by the time it arrives the OT is 50 pages long and I'm lost :p

Gonna skim this puppy and try to catch a few of the stupid things I should avoid doing but I'm too dumb to figure on my own without reading GAF

you want to make the main game even EASIER?

Giant HP doesn't really equal difficulty in my mind. It largely just equals "another 5 to 20 minutes of spamming the same attacks ad nauseum," especially if your skills are set up such that you're never taking damage anyway. It drove me nuts in FFXIII (especially on the bosses that have huge life bars AND take no damage unless staggered,) and is especially maddening here

Giant HP doesn't really equal difficulty in my mind. It largely just equals "another 5 to 20 minutes of spamming the same attacks ad nauseum," especially if your skills are set up such that you're never taking damage anyway. It drove me nuts in FFXIII (especially on the bosses that have huge life bars AND take no damage unless staggered,) and is especially maddening here

every boss battle would become a "Brave x4 and kill everything first turn"
so exciting

Question - how good is the (chapter 3 job)
Dual Wield support ability from Ninja?
When would it be better to use that over like Two-Handed from Knight? What jobs would make the most use out of that?

I think the brave/default system kind of inherently makes balancing this game ridiculously difficult when it comes to regular mobs vs bosses. Some classes are completely worthless outside of a few support abilities because their damage output is so low.

Question - how good is the (chapter 3 job)
Dual Wield support ability from Ninja?
When would it be better to use that over like Two-Handed from Knight? What jobs would make the most use out of that?

Yes, it's better than Two-Handed, but only slightly.

I've found it's good for doubling buffs (like dual-wiedling Fox Tails gives you 40 Agility!) and getting two specials if you mix and match weapons.

Ninjas are great with it, of course, as well as Pirates and Freelancers (when all jobs maxed).

has anyone found a need to use bravely second or summons? As hard as battles are I've never told myself "I can't beat this guy unless I do bravely second"

As to summons, I now have that guy from GAF with like a 99999 attack. Ultimate feel dirty maneuver.

edit: oh hey there you are above me lol

Yes, it's better than Two-Handed, but only slightly.

I've found it's good for doubling buffs (like dual-wiedling Fox Tails gives you 40 Agility!) and getting two specials if you mix and match weapons.

Ninjas are great with it, of course, as well as Pirates and Freelancers (when all jobs maxed).

Oh, I gotcha. I didn't even think about the added buffs from the actual weapons themselves. I'll have to take that into consideration now. :eek: Thanks!

has anyone found a need to use bravely second or summons? As hard as battles are I've never told myself "I can't beat this guy unless I do bravely second"

As to summons, I now have that guy from GAF with like a 99999 attack. Ultimate feel dirty maneuver.

For my 2nd playthrough, not really. Once you learn the system, you can easily get by without them.

Before, I would use them a bit, because I didn't have any good abilities or strategies, which led to me getting wrecked on more than one occasion.

Last time I used BS was against the New Year's Nemeses. I totally messed up at the very end and needed 3 SP to finish him.

Now I just use BS to send 6 digit summons to other people X D

I've been taking this game slow
mainly due to underestimating Hard Mode
so I'm still on Chapter 3. Damn, as much as I think all these classes are kinda cool, I keep defaulting to Knight, Monk, Thief, White or Black Mage because other classes feel too gimmicky and not really advantageous stat-wise. For example, I liked the move set for Valkyrie, but quickly switched back to Knight after getting all the moves since nothing tanks like the Knight. Ringabel barely deviated from Monk to a point that he's already at JL12 at chapter 3, strictly for the high offense. I figured making Tiz a time mage with Bow Lore (I went back to the Thief from Ranger just go get that ability) would still make him a powerhouse, but that wasn't the case, and switched right back to Thief the moment I was able to use the Haste spell.

Is there anyone getting by with very unique sets/classes? Is there any upcoming classes that nets better stats than the usual fare? Going by the demo, I can only assume Ninja and Swordmaster, but that's it. I have no idea how stat growth works in this game, or if I'm shooting myself in the foot just using Knight/Thief/Monk/Mage.

njean777

So I just ran in to
the dragon in front of the rainbow thread
I got demolished by it, should I just grind to beat him I am around lvl 13-14. Or is there a special way to beat him? My team consists of monk, knight, white Mage, black Mage.

Are the only side quests the blue sub quests? I just want to make sure I'm not going to end up missing anything.

Pretty much.

Although there's an alternate event in Chapter 6 if you do some certain stuff. Still haven't done it though >__<

So I just ran in to
the dragon in front of the rainbow thread
I got demolished by it, should I just grind to beat him I am around lvl 13-14. Or is there a special way to beat him? My team consists of monk, knight, white Mage, black Mage.

Do you have Mythril armour from Yulyana Woods?

If so... grinding might be your thing. Can't remember what I was, but Level 17 sounds good.

Knight is good with Protect Ally and Black Mage with Damage Dispersion. If you have the Blessed Shield from Norende, that lets you cast Cura free of charge.

Top Bottom