• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

Hi Robot, so I can't answer your questions in depth because I've never been to either the Pantanal or the Carnaval personally (although I've been in Rio a few times). All I can say is that these cities (especially Rio) are very used to tourism, so you are going to be fine without portuguese (considering your native language is english). The only thing you need to be careful with are the taxis/cabs, since some of them want to screw you over going for alternative/longer routes. But I am guessing you know that already.

Only thing I now about Pantanal is that it is very humid/hot, and it rains a lot. About Rio, especially during Carnaval, you need to be a little extra careful with your belongings and stuff, when out. Someone actually from Rio could probably give you more insightful advice on that though.

In Rio you can certainly get around, don't know about the Pantanal though. Just be fast on your feet before Carnaval starts, the city gets packed and pretty much nobody works around that time period.

By Rio, I assume that you're going to the Samba Schools "championship" at Sapucaí, right? That's cool but remember that around Carnaval time there's a lot of "Carnavals fora de época" (Carnaval in another time besides the actual week) happening in cities from the RJ state like Cabo Frio but most on the northeast on Recife-PE, Fortaleza-CE, Salvador-BA and others.

It's not the kind of stuff that I enjoy though =p

I see, thank you both for the tips. the whole Carnavals fora de época thing actually sounds pretty interesting too, I'll look into that a little. any recommendations as in accommodations and such?

Mariip

Ewwwww, Açaí is absolutely disgusting. Would not recommend.

Please don't, Açaí is the best food ever! Eat it with strawberries and granola
But please, stay away from guaraviton, guarana black or whatever form of guarana mixed with Açaí, tastes like poison and it probably is.

I see, thank you both for the tips. the whole Carnavals fora de época thing actually sounds pretty interesting too, I'll look into that a little. any recommendations as in accommodations and such?

I don't know much about hotels in Rio, i've stayed once in a hotel in Copacabana that was really nice, had a wonderful view of the beach and you could see the Carlos Drummond de Andrade bronze statue right in front of you... but i'm betting around february that place must be too damn expensive D:

Edit: Found it, but damn, that got expensive after the world cup o_O

I know that hotel chains like Ibis are usually not so expensive and they do have personnel capable of at least understanding English fluently. Aside from that, maybe hostels? Cheaper way possible and it could be surprisingly good if you're ok with sharing bedroom space (or have a lot of people with you to fill the room).

Shizuka

Welp

O Brasil perdeu o grau de investimento . Dólar vai explodir amanhã e a confusão na economia vai piorar muito.

953jlsdb.gif

bishopp35

Just to put in perspective , in 2007 the GDP grew 5% then financial crisis came and in 2008 we retracted -0,2. But the economy recuperated and grew 7,6% in 2009.

Now , we didn't grew in 2014 (0,1%) , and the market is expecting a contraction in the (-2% ; -2,5%) range for 2015 and another contraction for 2016 ( 0 ; -0,5).

The worst part is that we don't really can predict correctly what is going to happen because the economic crisis is associated with a political crisis. So even if the government had a clear plan to combat the crisis , there is not enough political support in the congress for the harsh measures that must be taken.

Tiu Neo

É Tetra?

FFS, podiam parar dessas briguinhas idiotas em Brasilia e começar logo a cortar custos lá pra ver se melhora um pouco a situação.

Tiu Neo

Less worst than most people think because they always compared to McDonalds Dollar.... but compared to Euro or Beaver Dollars it is not that bad =P

I'll give my picture, how I see the situation.

The economic situation is bad, with high inflation, companies closing doors and unemployment, and our currency is devalued, but the political situation is worse.

Even when the government wants to make some right decisions to adjust the economy, our congress is against it, even voting favorably for proposals that make the situation worse (voting against cost cuts, and for things that raise the government's costs, i.e.)

It's... a hard situation. I don't see how it can get better any time soon. Maybe if the congress finally decides to be cooperative, and the government doubles down on cost cuts. If it continues the way it is, it'll be downhill. If, for some reason, the opposition gets the impeachment they want, I see the situation getting even worse, even if it has a chance to get better on the long term, in this case.

On the bright side, the devaluation of our currency is good for exporters.

t0rment

brasileiro tem que se fuder mesmo, vota mal, isso que dá. o pior é quem mais se fode são os pobres, os quais votaram em massa nessa mulher.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Se fosse o Aecio seria ruim do mesmo jeito, mas pelo menos ele não me faz passar vergonha alheia quando fala.

Dilma precisa começar a dar umas cheiradas antes das aparições públicas dela. Isso ao menos tornaria as coisas um pouco mais divertidas.

LuuKyK

Se fosse o Aecio seria ruim do mesmo jeito, mas pelo menos ele não me faz passar vergonha alheia quando fala.

Eu juro que eu ri muito de um dos "discursos" dela um dia desses. Acho que foi o da chuva.

É sério, NADA do que ela falou fez sentido. Muito vergonhoso. Se bem que depois da mandioca (?) e da mulher-sapiens nada mais me surpreende.

Tiu Neo

Dilma precisa começar a dar umas cheiradas antes das aparições públicas dela. Isso ao menos tornaria as coisas um pouco mais divertidas.

Daí é capaz do Aécio processar por plágio, hahahahaha

Se bem que, ouvindo os discursos dela, sei não se ela já não o faz. Isso ou uns cházinhos alucinógenos.

Dr. Buni

brasileiro tem que se fuder mesmo, vota mal, isso que dá. o pior é quem mais se fode são os pobres, os quais votaram em massa nessa mulher.
O que acho engraçado é gente que pensa como você e acha que o Brasil está nessa situação por causa só por causa de Dilma. Se fosse o Aécio estaria ainda pior (principalmente para os pobres). Brasileiro talvez tenha que se lascar mesmo, mas é porque somos um povo que não faz nada e ainda assim quer resultado, mas não por causa da atual presidenta. Culpar ela por todos os problemas é sempre muito fácil.

Platy

Brasileiro tem que se se fuder sim, mas por achar que nós estamos numa monarquia totalitarista.

Podia ser até o Collor na presidencia, se o senado e os outros politicos fosse foda não teria tido problema.

Mas NÃÃÃOOO ! Temos a bancada mais conservadora dos ultimos anos que se importa mais em impedir gay de se casar que na economia do pais =|

Se a bancada do Boi, Bala e Biblia tivesse colocado uma taxação MINIMA nas igrejas o brasil era o pais mais rico do mundo xD

Metra

The economic situation is bad, with high inflation, companies closing doors and unemployment, and our currency is devalued, but the political situation is worse.

Even when the government wants to make some right decisions to adjust the economy, our congress is against it, even voting favorably for proposals that make the situation worse (voting against cost cuts, and for things that raise the government's costs, i.e.)

It's... a hard situation. I don't see how it can get better any time soon. Maybe if the congress finally decides to be cooperative, and the government doubles down on cost cuts. If it continues the way it is, it'll be downhill. If, for some reason, the opposition gets the impeachment they want, I see the situation getting even worse, even if it has a chance to get better on the long term, in this case.
Concordo, é bem por aí mesmo. A crise econômica é, em grande parte, influenciada por interesses políticos. Afinal, ela representa uma grande oportunidade para aqueles que disputam o Poder...

O que acho engraçado é gente que pensa como você e acha que o Brasil está nessa situação por causa só por causa de Dilma. Se fosse o Aécio estaria ainda pior (principalmente para os pobres). Brasileiro talvez tenha que se lascar mesmo, mas é porque somos um povo que não faz nada e ainda assim quer resultado, mas não por causa da atual presidenta. Culpar ela por todos os problemas é sempre muito fácil.

Brasileiro tem que se se fuder sim, mas por achar que nós estamos numa monarquia totalitarista.

Podia ser até o Collor na presidencia, se o senado e os outros politicos fosse foda não teria tido problema.

Mas NÃÃÃOOO ! Temos a bancada mais conservadora dos ultimos anos que se importa mais em impedir gay de se casar que na economia do pais =|

Se a bancada do Boi, Bala e Biblia tivesse colocado uma taxação MINIMA nas igrejas o brasil era o pais mais rico do mundo xD

Pessoal... brasileiro não tem que se foder...

Este tipo de mentalidade é extremamente prevalente em nosso país, e ajuda em absolutamente nada. Pelo contrário, só piora as coisas e dificulta mais ainda a resolução dos problemas...

t0rment

teve alguma votação sobre casamento gay esse ano? e pouco importa a quantidade de imposto, a gente paga coisa pra caralho e esse pessoal ainda deixa um rombo nas contas, se taxassem as igrejas o dinheiro ia ir pros pastores do mesmo jeito, só que de forma ''indireta''.

fui ver o preço das peças de pc e tomei um susto, pqp, tá tudo extremamente caro, tava pensando em montar um, só que tá impossível.

Shizuka

Eu só acho que a crise econômica está intrinsicamente relacionada à crise política, para quem acha que com o Aécio estaria a mesma coisa.

Tiu Neo

Eu só acho que a crise econômica está intrinsicamente relacionada à crise política, para quem acha que com o Aécio estaria a mesma coisa.

Eu acho que estaria mal, do tipo dólar subindo, dívidas e tudo mais, já que um pouco disso seria herança, mas não estaria pior do que agora, nesse sentido.

O problema é que um impeachment agora causaria ainda mais instabilidade, ainda. E claro, quem assumiria é o Temer, dá medo só de pensar.

Shizuka

Eu acho que estaria mal, do tipo dólar subindo, dívidas e tudo mais, já que um pouco disso seria herança, mas não estaria pior do que agora, nesse sentido.

O problema é que um impeachment agora causaria ainda mais instabilidade, ainda. E claro, quem assumiria é o Temer, dá medo só de pensar.

Se correr, o bicho pega. Se ficar, o bicho come. É a impressão que eu tenho, não existe um caminho fácil de seguir depois que chegou nesse ponto.

Metra

De fato, assumindo ceteris paribus, a situação econômica provavelmente estaria melhor, com o Aécio na presidência.

Mas o detalhe - que muitas pessoas não percebem (por ignorância e/ou desinformação), ou fingem que não percebem (por conveniência) - é que a provável estabilidade fiscal e política, neste cenário hipotético, não seria fruto da competência de Aécio Neves (em comparação com Dilma), mas sim da satisfação dos interesses daqueles que, no cenário real e atual, investem na crise econômica.

E nesta patota, encontra-se - "ironicamente" - o próprio Aécio Snows. E boa parte da mídia, diga-se de passagem... but I digress.

Are you trolling us now?

No, I am just curious. I can't find any non-Portuguese articles on the Brazilian economy.

zero shift
oh man u fell for it u thought i was serious lolololol i got u
(Today, 05:42 AM)

That tag is very old. I haven't trolled in years.

On the bright side, the devaluation of our currency is good for exporters.

I see. So you think that the Brazilian government needs austerity or to at least find ways to control the budget?

Massa

De fato, assumindo ceteris paribus, a situação econômica provavelmente estaria melhor, com o Aécio na presidência.

Mas o detalhe - que muitas pessoas não percebem (por ignorância e/ou desinformação), ou fingem que não percebem (por conveniência) - é que a provável estabilidade fiscal e política, neste cenário hipotético, não seria fruto da competência de Aécio Neves (em comparação com Dilma), mas sim da satisfação dos interesses daqueles que, no cenário real e atual, investem na crise econômica.

E nesta patota, encontra-se - "ironicamente" - o próprio Aécio Snows. E boa parte da mídia, diga-se de passagem... but I digress.

O governo atual é incompetente, ruim mesmo. Não adianta tentar passar a responsabilidade para interesses ocultos, quem cavou esse buraco foram eles.

I see. So you think that the Brazilian government needs austerity or to at least find ways to control the budget?

Being frank, I have no clue how economy works, it was always an alien thing for me. I only notice the high dollar price because I like to import a lot of things.

That being said, even someone as clueless as I can see that the economy is quite bad. I don't know how to fix it but it certainly something needs to be done.

Platy

No, I am just curious. I can't find any non-Portuguese articles on the Brazilian economy.

That tag is very old. I haven't trolled in years.

People think you are trolling because, as people said, the general media is REALLY pushing the economy disaster because they are not fan of the goverment and there is a small portion of the population wanting some impeachment, where a more "media friendly" president will arrise (PMDB's Temer, president of the "democrat" [read : republican] party) instead of a liberal woman whose main focus is assistentialism

The media pushes the disaster in kinda hilarious ways sometimes, like how they clearly manipulate the images they show when impeachment protests arrise and when they give the news that some industry's profits arrised, "despite the crisis" (apesar da crise).

So the economy is bad, but the media makes it sound that we are at the brink of an apocalypse

Metra

O governo atual é incompetente, ruim mesmo. Não adianta tentar passar a responsabilidade para interesses ocultos, quem cavou esse buraco foram eles.

Não defendo a Dilma nem o PT, e em momento algum disse - ou deixei implícito - que o governo atual é competente. Muito pelo contrário.

Agora, não posso permitir que minha insatisfação com o governo prejudique meu julgamento crítico. A existência de interesses políticos na intensificação da crise econômica é fato notório. Faz parte da disputa pelo Poder. Só é "obscuro/oculto" para quem, por ignorância ou desinformação, não percebe sua existência; ou para quem, por interesse ou conveniência, tenta obscurecê-la.

People think you are trolling because, as people said, the general media is REALLY pushing the economy disaster because they are not fan of the goverment and there is a small portion of the population wanting some impeachment
I'm from America. We don't get much news about Latin America.

where a more "media friendly" president will arrise (PMDB's Temer, president of the "democrat" [read : republican] party) instead of a liberal woman whose main focus is assistentialism

The media pushes the disaster in kinda hilarious ways sometimes, like how they clearly manipulate the images they show when impeachment protests arrise and when they give the news that some industry's profits arrised, "despite the crisis" (apesar da crise).

So the economy is bad, but the media makes it sound that we are at the brink of an apocalypse
I see. Last I checked Brazil had flat growth.

Tiu Neo

I'm from America. We don't get much news about Latin America.

where a more "media friendly" president will arrise (PMDB's Temer, president of the "democrat" [read : republican] party) instead of a liberal woman whose main focus is assistentialism

I see. Last I checked Brazil had flat growth.

It has. The economy is not good, at all. This year we'll have no growth at all, and high inflation. And a lot of it is happening because of the current president's decisions on her last term.

But the political situation (with the opposition fucking up everything on purpose, so the current government looks even worse) is what makes this crisis even worse.

And of course, just like with american politics, there are people from both sides who defend and who attacks the government. This thread is no exception, with people pro and against the government, and a lot of people in the middle, being neither.

It has. The economy is not good, at all. This year we'll have no growth at all, and high inflation. And a lot of it is happening because of the current president's decisions on her last term.

But the political situation (with the opposition fucking up everything on purpose, so the current government looks even worse) is what makes this crisis even worse.

And of course, just like with american politics, there are people from both sides who defend and who attacks the government. This thread is no exception, with people pro and against the government, and a lot of people in the middle, being neither.
What things did the president do last term do you disagree with?

Tiu Neo

What things did the president do last term do you disagree with?

Her whole economical plan was a big failure. I'm at work right now, but I'll try to search articles in english about her "Matriz Econômica". It not only did not work, but she also hid the current economical situation until she was re-elected.

As soon as that happened, things started to get worse and worse. Seeing that happen, the opposition started those tactics I talked about on my previous posts.

There are other things I disagree with her, but it's more an ideological thing than anything. Our govern is a big fan of regulation, I'd like it more if the market a bit more open. The ones that are most fucked by those politics are medium and small investors, in a lot of cases.

Top Bottom