• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

Platy

The HUE never ends.

10997800_797552617006360_6789784308957976610_o.jpg

É engraçado que varios dos elementos colocados e utilizados para pessoas trans terem nome social é de alto poder de zueira ....

O famoso cartão da saraiva por exemplo vc pode colocar qualquer nome que quiser =P

Shizuka

Alguém aqui manja de milhas e desses programas de operadoras de cartão de crédito? Como faço (ou pelo menos fazia) muitas compras com o meu, imagino que seria bom começar a tirar vantagem disso.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey BrazilGAF, I need some help.

A girl friend of mine got this idea of traveling around South America on her own, hitchhiking. She did a few countries further north and wow she has arrived in Brazil, heading to Sao Paulo. She is a sweet girl but this idea of hers I find a bit innocent, because it's dangerous travel on her own like this, without money! She got her backpack and tent and went from Ecuador to Brazil by hitchiking with truck drivers who even bought her her meals. So far it's been great, but I don't want something bad to happen to her and I don't want her to force herself through if things don't go well eventually. Her idea is to do this for a year but I think that's not a good idea unless she settles somewhere for a long time and work.

Now she told me she might stay in Brazil three months, but maybe less. I might join her next month, but until then, I thought, there is no way someone can simply go in Brazil and stay there that long without a visa no? Plus if she thinks she can work a bit, for sure she needs a visa no? She sold beer at the beach in Peru, but that was Peru, in Brazil I think it would be a different story...

I want her to be safe, so anything to recommend that would allow her to make some money safely, and is she screwed visa-wise? Thanks

edit: Welp, obviously you need a work visa. She is going to end up in trouble, I bet she gets her phone stolen within a week of arriving in Sao Paulo. Why didn't she tell me ahead of time, I would have gone with her and she wouldn't have to deal with this. Jesus. I was happy to hear from her, now I'm just worried.

DrTeflon

Alguém aqui manja de milhas e desses programas de operadoras de cartão de crédito? Como faço (ou pelo menos fazia) muitas compras com o meu, imagino que seria bom começar a tirar vantagem disso.

Usei o meu Ourocard por uns 7 anos e o máximo que podia resgatar era um DVD dos trapalhões :(

Now she told me she might stay in Brazil three months, but maybe less. I might join her next month, but until then, I thought, there is no way someone can simply go in Brazil and stay there that long without a visa no? Plus if she thinks she can work a bit, for sure she needs a visa no? She sold beer at the beach in Peru, but that was Peru, in Brazil I think it would be a different story...

I want her to be safe, so anything to recommend that would allow her to make some money safely, and is she screwed visa-wise? Thanks

edit: Welp, obviously you need a work visa. She is going to end up in trouble, I bet she gets her phone stolen within a week of arriving in Sao Paulo. Why didn't she tell me ahead of time, I would have gone with her and she wouldn't have to deal with this. Jesus. I was happy to hear from her, now I'm just worried.

Eh. Not particularly, no.

While sure, you do need a visa, this is brasil. Informality is big here. And by big i say immense. And by immense i mean chronic.

It's far easier to just do whatever you wanna do than actually trying to get the paperwork, especially for small stuff like selling drinks on the beach. Police doesn't pester peddlers much, especially if they're white. Might take some bribes if they do indeed interact with you, but that's it.

To put things in perspective: 2013 was a record year for deportations. We deported 414 people. Total. And most of those were due to drug trafficking attempts.

We give no fucks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Eh. Not particularly, no.

While sure, you do need a visa, this is brasil. Informality is big here. And by big i say immense. And by immense i mean chronic.

It's far easier to just do whatever you wanna do than actually trying to get the paperwork, especially for small stuff like selling drinks on the beach. Police doesn't pester peddlers much, especially if they're white. Might take some bribes if they do indeed interact with you, but that's it.

To put things in perspective: 2013 was a record year for deportations. We deported 414 people. Total. And most of those were due to drug trafficking attempts.

We give no fucks.

Great, that's what I thought, but still. If it was that easy, there would be no homeless people. Ok she is a cute girl so she will sell beer easily, but someone else will get pissed she is stealing his business and soon she'll be in trouble, and she has no money.

Just going back home, she'd have to hitchhike again! (Of course I'm flying her out of there in that case...).

Any idea what kind of jobs solo travelers tend to do to make a bit of money? Even if she is couch surfing, she will need a bit of cash.

maouvin

Cada banco tem seu programa de pontuação, teria que olhar isso - na CEF acho que você usa seus pontos no Mundo Caixa, no BB você troca por Dotz.
Dá pra comprar passagens nesses sites, mas acho que os bancos em geral ainda permitem trocar pontos por milhas.

Faz uns 7 anos que não trabalho mais com clientes varejo, então não faço ideia de como anda isso :/
Mas já comprei um punhado de tralhas com Dotz :D

Great, that's what I thought, but still. If it was that easy, there would be no homeless people. Ok she is a cute girl so she will sell beer easily, but someone else will get pissed she is stealing his business and soon she'll be in trouble, and she has no money.

Just going back home, she'd have to hitchhike again! (Of course I'm flying her out of there in that case...).

Any idea what kind of jobs solo travelers tend to do to make a bit of money? Even if she is couch surfing, she will need a bit of cash.

If she's cute she can find work at a bar as a waitress no prob. The informal sector is huge, especially in places like SP or RJ. If she's REALLY cute she'll even get tips, which are thankfully rare here.

TBH employers would see her as an extra-cheap source of labour, since she's off the grid and there's zero possibility that she'll sue. That by itself would reduce the cost of having her as an employee by some 40%+

I'm not the best source of info for couchsurfing jobs, tho. Kinda outside my world.

DD

Dude, chill, brazilians love their gringos, really. She'll be fine, I guess. Is she american? Maybe she could get a job on some english school around.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
She is a pretty Colombian (light-skinned, well now she has a major tan...), speaks Spanish and also speaks good English, not enough to teach, but I guess it helps to get a job if there are tourists around. She has the best smile and attitude so yeah she'd probably get tips. I think she could pass for mixed-European, but not with that tan haha, now she looks like a local.

Thanks guys, you made me a bit less worried.

She is Colombian, speaks Spanish and also speaks good English, not enough to teach, but I guess it helps to get a job if there are tourists around.

If she LOOKS stereotypically colombian, that might be a problem. Tell her to stay the fuck away from other colombians, especially if they got jobs in the textile sector. Police busts up colombian and bolivian textile factories due to slave labor often.

Ah well, light skinned = no probs.

DD

She is Colombian, speaks Spanish and also speaks good English, not enough to teach, but I guess it helps to get a job if there are tourists around.

Well, most of the language schools teach english and spanish, so she still might find something. BUT I have to tell you that in many places (São Paulo specially) we've been having problems with people from other south american countries, specially from Bolivia. Many of them come to do honest work, but many others come to steal stuff, and some poor others end up being enslaved. So... in that case, she might attract some attention, I don't know. :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well she definitely doesn't look typically Colombian, she has no indigenous traits (no black hair or eyes, etc.), her hair is brown and blond. She looks like an ethnically-ambigious European-Latin girl and really I think the only really obvious latin trait is her attitude.

Of course now with the major tan, it's a bit of a different story lol. But nah, I don't think any of that would be an issue, and she definitely won't work in textile.

Good to know though, thanks!

DD

Well she definitely doesn't look typically Colombian, she has no indigenous traits (no black hair or eyes, etc.), her hair is brown and blond. She looks like an ethnically-ambigious European-Latin girl and really I think the only really obvious latin trait is her attitude.

Of course now with the major tan, it's a bit of a different story lol. But nah, I don't think any of that would be an issue, and she definitely won't work in textile.

Good to know though, thanks!

She sounds hot. :D

She also might find a thing in a place for young people, like some cool bar, you know, selling beer and stuff. :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
She sounds hot. :D

She also might find a thing in a place for young people, like some cool bar, you know, selling beer and stuff. :p

Yeah that's what I'll tell her to look into. She's pretty yes, and super sweet.

If she stays in Brazil long enough, I might travel there for a month. I never went, but I was next door in Argentina and Chile a few years ago. I really need to get away from this horrible winter.

mantidor

She is a pretty Colombian (light-skinned, well now she has a major tan...), speaks Spanish and also speaks good English, not enough to teach, but I guess it helps to get a job if there are tourists around. She has the best smile and attitude so yeah she'd probably get tips. I think she could pass for mixed-European, but not with that tan haha, now she looks like a local.

If she LOOKS stereotypically colombian, that might be a problem. Tell her to stay the fuck away from other colombians, especially if they got jobs in the textile sector. Police busts up colombian and bolivian textile factories due to slave labor often.

Ah well, light skinned = no probs.

We colombians do help each other when abroad, and our street smarts (well not mine specifically, but in general :p) is pretty great, she should be fine. Also we recognize the bad apples of our country a mile away, so she should know who to trust if she finds other colombians.

However people will immediately know she's colombian the moment she opens her mouth, unless she sticks to pure english, but that might be hard, is not that well known or understood. It will certainly help her get a job though.

We colombians do help each other when abroad, and our street smarts (well not mine specifically, but in general :p) is pretty great, she should be fine. Also we recognize the bad apples of our country a mile away, so she should know who to trust if she finds other colombians.

What are the tells?

mantidor

What are the tells?

They take years to learn and are very subtle unfortunately. Mostly, as much as I hate to say it, people from certain regions in Colombia like Medellin should always be approached with care, not all though, and there lies the subtlety. Also, and again I hate to say it because its insanely classist, certain types of speech from lower classes can be red flags. But its nowhere near that simple, in the world cup when Brazil got invaded by my fellow country men and women, I kept telling my carioca friends who they should stay away and who were fine, they certainly couldn't tell the difference.

If she is native colombian she should know all of this, if she is colombian american then she should be extra careful.

This intrigued me though:

If I'm reading this correctly you think people in Brazil worry about illegals the same way people in the US do? because thats kind of adorable, if you come to visit I think she's the one who will be taking care of you and not the other way around :p

I'm just joking a little :) but really, when I first read your post I thought she was american and that was kind of insane, but if she's from here (as in Latinamerica) there shouldn't be a problem. She should be careful of course but she has to know this already.

mantidor

No way in hell, TOTALLY different accent. I work with people from all South America.

I meant just the first few words (i.e. "the moment she opens her mouth"), after a complete sentence she'll give it away.

I said that not exactly because of the similarity of accents, but because argentinians are more common, and just a "bom dia" might not give away the exact country, only that she comes, in fact, from a spanish speaking country.

Edit:

Em outras noticias a Majora esta a 200 reais na unica loja que conheço :(, agora não sei se vale a pena importar, acho que fica mais barato.

Shizuka

Então, assim que o pacote chegou, fui conferir. Descobri que a i-parcel não disponibiliza nenhum documento ou informações sobre o valor do imposto, só cola um adesivo dizendo "para informações sobre o imposto, mande um email".

Fui falar com o chat da Amazon e a atendente disse que eles não têm informações sobre o imposto, que o estorno ocorre automaticamente em até sessenta dias. Fiquei enchendo ela e ela disse que é bem capaz que eu vá receber o estorno, mas que vou ter que esperar. Logo depois do chat, recebi este email, que disponibilizo na íntegra para quem acabar passando pela mesma situação que a minha:

Hello from Amazon.com,

Orders that are shipped to countries outside the U.S. may be subject to import taxes, customs duties, and fees charged by the destination country. Amazon Export Sales will estimate and collect an import fee deposit to certain destination countries. These funds will be used by the carrier or another agent to pay the import fees on your behalf to the appropriate authorities when your package reaches its destination country. The estimated import fee deposit will be displayed in the cost summary on the last page of our online order form, just before you place your order.

Amazon Export Sales will estimate and collect an import fee deposit for orders destined to Canadian addresses. Previously, Amazon was unable to provide customers an import fee estimate for all shipping options. We're able to provide an import fee estimate and facilitate the import clearance process through the shipping carrier.

Because shipments are exported from the United States, the value declaration is shown in USD regardless of the currency you used to pay for your order. Your country's customs authorities will convert USD into local currency for calculating export fees if required.

Whenever the actual import fee deposit collected is less than we estimated, we'll issue a refund for the difference.

We'll send you an e-mail once the refund is processed. Keep in mind that the process takes 60 days from the shipment date.

To learn more about import fee deposits, please visit our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=596184&#import

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Não resolveu nada, vou ter que sentar e esperar. Não vai me impedir de mandar um email para a i-parcel para que eles me disponibilizem todas as informações do meu pacote.

AsfaeksBR

Me parece que o Baschta decidiu por um Vita. Bem vindo ao lado negro da força.

Tive todos os consoles PS, tava na hora de arranjar um portátil pra entrar na coleção.
Agora é esperar essas duas semanas de prova e finais passarem para finalmente pegar o Vita.

E adivinhem aonde eu comprarei? Isso mesmo...

Shizuka

Tive todos os consoles PS, tava na hora de arranjar um portátil pra entrar na coleção.
Agora é esperar essas duas semanas de prova e finais passarem para finalmente pegar o Vita.

E adivinhem aonde eu comprarei? Isso mesmo...

Um jogo que eu recomendaria para qualquer pessoa que está comprando um Vita seria o Persona 4 Golden. Na minha opinião, o melhor jogo de Vita, ou pelo menos o que significou mais para mim de todos até hoje.

AsfaeksBR

Só entrar em promo que eu abocanho.
Mas vi muita gente falando que o slot pro cartão bo PS Vita deles só é ocupado pelo P4G, 100% do tempo.

Shizuka

Só entrar em promo que eu abocanho.
Mas vi muita gente falando que o slot pro cartão bo PS Vita deles só é ocupado pelo P4G, 100% do tempo.

Não é um jogo com uma replayability alta. Ele é bem grande (demorei 80 horas até zerar o meu e pegar o platinum), mas depois disso, não tem muito o que fazer no jogo.

LuuKyK

Bom Persona 4 é um dos melhores jogos de todos os tempos então um port melhorado e portátil dele não é uma recomendação mas sim uma obrigação de quem tem o VITA. :p

Não é um jogo com uma replayability alta. Ele é bem grande (demorei 80 horas até zerar o meu e pegar o platinum), mas depois disso, não tem muito o que fazer no jogo.

Persona 3 Portable did right e tinha uma personagem feminina, simplesmente aumentou um monte a replayability do jogo porque a história mudava (parcialmente), a interação com os personagens e a persona principal também, ou seja, tinha um monte de coisa pra fazer num segundo playthrough. Uma pena que não fizeram isso com P4G. :( Mesmo assim é um ótimo port mesmo.

Tiu Neo

Bom Persona 4 é um dos melhores jogos de todos os tempos então um port melhorado e portátil dele não é uma recomendação mas sim uma obrigação de quem tem o VITA. :p

Persona 3 Portable did right e tinha uma personagem feminina, simplesmente aumentou um monte a replayability do jogo porque a história mudava (parcialmente), a interação com os personagens e a persona principal também, ou seja, tinha um monte de coisa pra fazer num segundo playthrough. Uma pena que não fizeram isso com P4G. :( Mesmo assim é um ótimo port mesmo.

Em compensação, a apresentação do P3P ficou bem pior que a do P4G, já que o jogo virou quase que uma VN com partes de Dungeon.

Quem sabe um dia fazem uma versão definitiva de Persona 3... :(

Also, Baschta, pegue Suikoden I e II na PSN.

Top Bottom