• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Toa TAK

Banned
That was a great moment. And then he keeps talking and you're like - this motherfucker. He's got a couple kids out in the woods with a couple laser pointers. There's no way...

Yup. I guessed it was Badger and Skinny Pete, once he was driving back, but at that moment, he had this whole "magnificent bastard" vibe that I felt only one other time, during the "Confessions" tape.

It was so out of the blue, too. So much fun to watch.

TripOpt55

I'm still not sure how I feel about the finale. I guess it seems somewhere between adequate and good for me. It never felt like I was watching amazing television like with "Ozymandias." Maybe that is partly due to which side of the Walt debate I came down to, but I could replace "Ozymandias" with any number of other excellent BB episodes (or those from another TV show). But it wrapped everything up well. I liked Jesse's ending. I don't really think Walt got the ending he deserved. As many have said, saying he won or lost definitively isn't accurate. But everything does seem to go his way in this finale. And while he had lost some by the time we entered this episode, I entered the finale thinking he needed some kind of greater punishment and I guess I just don't feel satisfied with what we got here. I'm not really upset either. It's fine, but not really great to me.

Regardless of that, I loved this series and will really miss it.

inm8num2

LOST has no business in here. That finale didn't stand a chance against all the expectations everyone had going in.

I hate to derail, but LOST didn't stand a chance against all the ridiculous plotting and mythology they piled on to add 'mystery' to the show. I don't agree with people attacking Lindelof after BB's finale, though. It's not productive.

People are seriously attacking Damon Lindelof because the Breaking Bad finale was so good?

Breaking Bad was a straightforward story with a finite plot. Taking a show like this to the finish line is much less daunting a task than an open-ended timeline with mutliple universes, two dozen characters, and equal brand mysticism and science-fiction. LOST's finale could never have lived up to the scope and complexity of the show itself. Sorry, but it's true. For what it was and how it carried itself, the LOST series finale was fucking great.

Breaking Bad remains the gold standard for television, but comparing the show to LOST is bullshit.

Sorry, slightly off-topic. lol

Dude, there was like 4 episodes where nothing happen in the beginning of season 6. It was a terrble way to end the show. Meh

oktarb

So what was Walt's plan if the dude at the gate said "Pop the trunk."? Seems like he had everything planned to a T but that was a major possibility.

Satisfying ending, yet a little underwhelming. What about Holly, Brock etc?

It felt a little (!) like the ending of the Sopranos (yet, not so abrupt), then maybe the ending of Six Feet Under.

Vashetti

Banned
The wait for season 6 is gonna be tough.

image.php

.GqueB.

Banned
I hate to derail, but LOST didn't stand a chance against all the ridiculous plotting and mythology they piled on to add 'mystery' to the show. I don't agree with people attacking Lindelof after BB's finale, though. It's not productive.

Oh I'm not defending them. They wrote themselves into a corner and there was literally no way out. BB was narratively "clean" through and though. Had a much better chance of having a finale that actually wrapped things up nicely. LOST didn't have that chance. It's not really comparable. Two completely different styles of writing. But to me season 1 - 4 was some of the most engaging television I've ever seen.

Which is why the Wire or Friday Night Lights and apparently the Shield (haven't seen it) are more apt.

Satisfying ending, yet a little underwhelming. What about Holly, Brock etc?

It felt a little (!) like the ending of the Sopranos (yet, not so abrupt), then maybe the ending of Six Feet Under.

Were they supposed to show Holly growing up without a dad and Brock in an orphanage? I don't know what you wanted. They didn't show what happens to anyone after the moment Walter White dies, and we can assume a lot of it isn't good.

I think Walt's original plan was to kill everyone in that room including Jesse and himself, but once he saw that Jesse was a prisoner that was living the same miserable life for the past 6 months as Walt did in the cabin he was able to connect with him again because they had the same experience of loneliness and despair.

This is probably my favorite finale ever.

apana

Kind of a side issue but the Nazi gang never really seems to talk about race or politics that much. Did anyone notice that? It seems like they are more interested in just getting their money than in any other goals.

Kind of a side issue but the Nazi gang never really seems to talk about race or politics that much. Did anyone notice that? It seems like they are more interested in just getting their money than in any other goals.

We're never really in a room with them when they're not either about to do business, or just having done some business. So it makes sense that they're basically just hesher assholes with crappy tattoos.

Globox_82

Banned
So what was Walt's plan if the dude at the gate said "Pop the trunk."? Seems like he had everything planned to a T but that was a major possibility.

HIS plan was to fly to Vegas since he is so lucky and win 60 million dollars.

It's amazing show, but amount of luck WW has is a bit silly imo.

maharg

idspispopd

Just because they're a gang of neonazis doesn't mean they're a political party. And it's not like we really see any of them but Todd (who really probably isn't a neonazi) interact with anyone who isn't white.

Also they can't say fuck so I'm pretty sure one of them going on a racial rant would probably be frowned on.

ZeroRay

They had one conversation about how America "ain't what it used to be", but really, there was no reason to overly characterize these guys as the viewers pretty much got that they were assholes.

Globox_82

Banned

which makes it even more ridic and pointlesss that they are Nazis. Like I said US shows LOVE to have Nazis as bad guys. It's not enough that you are just a bad person, no you have to be Nazi and have tattoos on your face so that everyone can be reminded in case they forget.

Were they supposed to show Holly growing up without a dad and Brock in an orphanage? I don't know what you wanted. They didn't show what happens to anyone after the moment Walter White dies, and we can assume a lot of it isn't good.

Well the next couple of days would have been interesting. The immediate reactions etc.

But that's a bit too much I guess.

iammeiam

I'd assume he'd just gun it, busts through the fence, pop the gun, and do donuts while spraying death around him. Not ideal, but he'd still rack up a body count.

Ataraxia

I commeted on this several pages back. What was Walt's plan if Jesse wasn't close enough for him to save? What was Walt's plan if Todd and a few of the nazis had been out for pizza instead of being all huddled in the same room when Walt arrived? What was the plan if someone else had sat at Lydia's table right before she did and consumed the ricin? What was the plan if a police officer was in the house when Walt visited Skyler for the last time? Obviously all 20 things had to go perfectly for his plan to work, but they did so there you have it.

Fucking amazing finale. Couldn't have asked for more. Todd, Lydia and Uncle Jacks deaths were perfect. Jesse is free and Walt found a little redemption in death. I'm sure some people will be unhappy about that though :p I'm sad it's over but satisfied. Now to catch up on the thread.

Content Roundup - Episode 8 - Felina

DltSXCz.jpg

Videos
Reviews
- Onion A|V Club review
- Sepinwall's review
- Variety: TV Review: ‘Breaking Bad’ Finale Gets the Chemistry Just Right
- memles on the finale for Cultural Learnings
- Alyssa Rosenberg on the finale
- Slate.com review
- IGN review
- The Atlantic discussion
- Frazier Moore for AP
- Esquire
- LA Times
- Poniewozik's review for Time.com
- Tim Goodman on the finale for THR
- Warming Glow on the finale
- Matt Zoller Seitz review
- Maureen Ryan's review
- Badass Digest
- IndieWire #1
- Salon.com #2
- Slant Magazine
- Emily Nussbaum for The New Yorker
- Sean T Collins @ Rolling Stone
- Washington Post
- Chicago Sun Times
- Cinema Blend
- Collider
- NJ Star-Ledger
- Eric Deggans @ Tampa Bay Times
- The Week
- Film School Rejects
- EW.com
- Linda Holmes @ NPR
- Kate Arthur @ Buzzfeed
- Laura Bennett @ The New Republic
- Andy Greenwald's review for Grantland
- NY Times
- Toronto Star
- Jaime Weinman @ Maclean's
- Ryan McGee
- The Guardian
- TV.com

Other
- AMC Q&A: Jesse Plemons (Todd Alquist)
- Poniewozik @ Time: How Walter White Became the One Who Knocks
- The Onion: ‘Breaking Bad’ Ends With Reveal That Whole Series Was Plot of Book Marie Shoplifted
- Bad Finger - Baby Blue (closing song)
- El Paso (Full-Length Version) - Marty Robbins
- NY Times: Walter White’s Soul, and Yours (Room For Debate Editorial Feature)
- Warming Glow: ‘Breaking Bad’ Series Finale GIF Highlights: Felina
- Salon: Why Flynn is the real hero of “Breaking Bad”
- National Geographic: Things You Should Know About Ricin
- NY Mag: 11 Breaking Bad Finale Facts Revealed on Talking Bad
- NY Mag: Your Final Breaking Bad GIFs
- EW Interview: Vince Gilligan explains series finale
- EW Interview: Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul discuss ending of 'Breaking Bad' finale
- THR: 'Breaking Bad': The Meaning of the Finale's Last Song
- Forbes: Working Bad: Exclusive Interviews With the Brains Behind 'Breaking Bad' (set of interview links)
- Rolling Stone: Lessons of the 'Breaking Bad' Series Finale
- Andy Greenwald answers a few BB questions in his September Mail Bag for Grantland
- The Week: Breaking Bad: An interview with the show's science advisor
- Canada.com podcast on the finale
- Barry Hertz @ Maclean's: Why Breaking Bad’s finale will disappoint—and we’re all to blame
- EW: 'Breaking Bad': 10 questions we'll never see resolved
- Onion A|V Club's "For Our Consideration" Feature: Breaking Bad ended the anti-hero genre by introducing good and evil
- NY Mag: The Dream of Jesse Pinkman’s Happy Ending
- THR: Beyond 'Breaking Bad': What's Next for the Show's Stars
- NY Mag: Albuquerque Said Good-bye to Breaking Bad With Finale Parties
- Yahoo Interview: Michael Bowen on Becoming Uncle Jack
- Slate.com: Exclusive: Aaron Paul’s Complete Script for the Breaking Bad Finale
- EW: 'Breaking Bad' series finale ratings smash all records (10.3M viewers, 5.4 in the 18-49 demo)​

Pakkidis

How some of you find these similarities between episodes is amazing. I don't think twice about this stuff and I binged watched the entire series just 2 weeks ago.

NotLiquid

I think Walt's original plan was to kill everyone in that room including Jesse and himself, but once he saw that Jesse was a prisoner that was living the same miserable life for the past 6 months as Walt did in the cabin he was able to connect with him again because they had the same experience of loneliness and despair.

This is probably my favorite finale ever.

That definitely seemed to be the intent. He probably thought that Jesse was cooking as a means to get back at Walter yet again, until he finally got to see what he's been through and what he's become - someone who just wanted to get out.

As Hank once said, "He’ll do just about anything to protect his interests. Except when it comes to you. He cares about you".

Top Bottom