• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

inm8num2

Oh I'm not defending them. They wrote themselves into a corner and there was literally no way out. BB was narratively "clean" through and though. Had a much better chance of having a finale that actually wrapped things up nicely. LOST didn't have that chance. It's not really comparable. Two completely different styles of writing. But to me season 1 - 4 was some of the most engaging television I've ever seen.

Which is why the Wire or Friday Night Lights and apparently the Shield (haven't seen it) are more apt.

I see what you mean. Yea, I agree totally. BB's writing was simply tight, tight, tight, and comparisons to LOST aren't very apt.

LOST had its moments after season 1 but in retrospect the desire to want to know what this or that means was just superficial, hollow marketing to get people to watch without any real intention or ability to craft a logical, satisfying resolution for all the mythology.

Man the photo of Eli is hilarious. NFL gaf must be having a field day with it.

Also would Skyler stop smoking in the house with the baby!!!!!! Cmon Walt that was the one thing I wish you had done.

How some of you find these similarities between episodes is amazing. I don't think twice about this stuff and I binged watched the entire series just 2 weeks ago.

That's the thing. If you're stuck waiting weeks and months inbetween you start to look for these things. You binge watch something and it goes in and out very quickly. It's like studying in advance for a test or cramming the night before.

ok so Walt was shot on his right side by a ricochet. same side facing the m60. what are the chances a bullet can be deflected twice to wound up hitting him? the second "bounce" would have to have been off the dry wall separating Walt and the gun, which is unlikely considering how the bullets tore through it initially. alternately, is it possible for a bullet to change trajectory drastically as soon as it hits the wall from the outside? realistically I don't think that can happen. am I missing something here?

apana

Just because they're a gang of neonazis doesn't mean they're a political party. And it's not like we really see any of them but Todd (who really probably isn't a neonazi) interact with anyone who isn't white.

Also they can't say fuck so I'm pretty sure one of them going on a racial rant would probably be frowned on.

Yeah I was just wondering because sometimes these white power gangs aren't really about white power as much as they are about just committing crimes and having the racial identity being what holds the gang together. Racial identity is almost always a big element of any gang. I think it is part of the prison system as well, you kind of need to join up with one of these groups to survive in prison.

(mat)

ok so Walt was shot on his right side by a ricochet. same side facing the m60. what are the chances a bullet can be deflected twice to wound up hitting him? the second "bounce" would have to have been off the dry wall separating Walt and the gun, which is unlikely considering how the bullets tore through it initially. alternately, is it possible for a bullet to change trajectory drastically as soon as it hits the wall from the outside? realistically I don't think that can happen. am I missing something here?

You're missing that it is a TV show.

Maybe one of the nazis got a shot off

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Am I the only one that believes that Walt, at that moment in the room, had no plan to kill Jesse since he wasn't there? I believe he just thought of a way to get out of being killed so he could think of a way to get his keys. I believe his main targets were Jack, Todd, and his crew - not Jesse. With that said, I believe that had Jesse been there as a partner, then Walt would have killed him.

As for why the Nazis didn't check the trunk - why would they, exactly? What is he gonna have in there? A sentry gun?

I love the m60 contraption but let's face it, a car bomb would've been much easier and more effective.

Ironically it's probably a lot easier to score an M60 than it is the amount of fertilizer and other materials he would need to construct a bomb large enough to destroy a concrete structure. Even as large as the trunk of that car was, it might not be large enough for that size bomb either.

NotLiquid

Am I the only one that believes that Walt, at that moment in the room, had no plan to kill Jesse since he wasn't there? I believe he just thought of a way to get out of being killed so he could think of a way to get his keys.

As for why the Nazis didn't check the trunk - why would they, exactly? What is he gonna have in there? A sentry gun?

He already had his keys when the Nazis were dragging him out, and he expected to kick the bucket with them. He wanted Jesse in because he wanted him dead too. That was before he realized how much torture Jesse went through and that he was captured against his will.

.GqueB.

Banned
I see what you mean. Yea, I agree totally. BB's writing was simply tight, tight, tight, and comparisons to LOST aren't very apt.

LOST had its moments after season 1 but in retrospect the desire to want to know what this or that means was just superficial, hollow marketing to get people to watch without any real intention or ability to craft a logical, satisfying resolution for all the mythology.

Pretty much yea.

I feel like LOST reshaped how certain genres of television were written twice in it's run. At first people were really excited about the mystery and intrigue but with the lack of pay off people instantly began hating that style of writing. I think shows like Fringe REALLY kept this in mind and were very careful about that. I'd say even Breaking Bad was in a sense as well. They really careful to make sure they wrapped everything up as they went along. Very rarely can you look back and say "hey but what about...". I mean if you think really hard yea but off the top of my head I can't come up with much that stands out.

They essentially just killed all the loose ends. Easier.

Ellasman

Yah this is a trivial fact. Don't worry about this small thing just enjoy it.

Shrennin

He already had his keys when the Nazis were dragging him out, and he expected to kick the bucket with them. He wanted Jesse in because he wanted him dead too. That was before he realized how much torture Jesse went through and that he was captured against his will.

No, he didn't. His keys were on the table. When they were going to get Jesse, that's when Walt snatched his keys. He mentioned Jesse as they were dragging him (Walt) out to kill him - he had to think of a way to stop that.

I'm not really surprised it got 10 million viewers. When I was walking through my campus I heard a teacher talking to her class about the ending. My facebook also blew up about it too. Now, when I look back at how far it has come to get to that 10 million mark, that is pretty damn impressive.

PBY

Banned
The Finale was adequate- but I'm not certain it was a standalone, great episode.

Andy Greenwald's review sums it up perfectly. Taken with the rest of the show, it works and is fine, and doesn't LOWER the end of the show- but it didn't elevate the series to a new height.

3N16MA

Banned
Every episode of the 2nd half of season 5 broke 4 million viewers with two breaking 5 million, two breaking 6 million, and the finale breaking 10 million.

Before the 2nd half started, Breaking Bad did not have a single episode surpass 3 million viewers and only one surpassed 2 million through the first 4 seasons. Talk about word of mouth and binge watching.

Linkhero1

Am I the only one that believes that Walt, at that moment in the room, had no plan to kill Jesse since he wasn't there? I believe he just thought of a way to get out of being killed so he could think of a way to get his keys. I believe his main targets were Jack, Todd, and his crew - not Jesse. With that said, I believe that had Jesse been there as a partner, then Walt would have killed him.

He called Jack out on being partners with Jesse with the hopes that he would bring Jesse into the room from wherever he was. I believe he was going to take him out and had a change of heart then and there after seeing how he's been forced into working for the Nazis.

I just saw a comment on youtube pointing out that Walt died wearing the same clothes he wore in the pilot. Green shirt, khaki pants and jacket. Amazing.

Every episode of the 2nd half of season 5 broke 4 million viewers with two breaking 5 million, two breaking 6 million, and the finale breaking 10 million.

Before the 2nd half started, Breaking Bad did not have a single episode surpass 3 million viewers and only one surpassed 2 million through the first 4 seasons. Talk about word of mouth and binge watching.

It will be known as the Netflix Effect.

How did Walter know that Lydia would take that particular packet of Stevia or whatever its called?

Brilliant finale, incredible show. In fact, the second half of S5 is probably the best run of episodes I've ever seen. Starting with the prison deaths, right up until the final shot, its just majestic

Though I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those viewers were people who didn't catch up and wanted to see how it ended.
I was wondering about that. There's no way to tell, but I'd be very curious what percentage of the viewership was either behind or had never seen an episode before.

Shrennin

He called Jack out on being partners with Jesse with the hopes that he would bring Jesse into the room from wherever he was. I believe he was going to take him out and had a change of heart then and there after seeing how he's been forced into working for the Nazis.

I don't know. I saw it as a way for Walt to get his keys. I don't think Walt had a problem with killing Jesse until he saw him, but his main targets were the Nazis. They were dragging Walt out to kill him, and that's when Walt mentioned Jesse, a rat, being a partner to Jack. That allowed Walt to get the time to snatch his keys.

jonezer4

I think Walt's original plan was to kill everyone in that room including Jesse and himself, but once he saw that Jesse was a prisoner that was living the same miserable life for the past 6 months as Walt did in the cabin he was able to connect with him again because they had the same experience of loneliness and despair.

Confirmed by Gilligan on Talking bad.

Darklord

Banned

Kind of amazing how word of mouth turned this show into such a juggernaut. Though I never understood why so many people turn in for the FINALE of a series. Why decide at the very end "Yeah, I'll watch this episode"?

Linkhero1

How did Walter know that Lydia would take that particular packet of Stevia or whatever its called?

Brilliant finale, incredible show. In fact, the second half of S5 is probably the best run of episodes I've ever seen. Starting with the prison deaths, right up until the final shot, its just majestic

Her schedule is the same so he knew where she would be and she's used the same packet for her drink every time they've met there.

I don't know. I saw it as a way for Walt to get his keys. I don't think Walt had a problem with killing Jesse until he saw him, but his main targets were the Nazis. They were dragging Walt out to kill him, and that's when Walt mentioned Jesse, a rat, being a partner to Jack. That allowed Walt to get the time to snatch his keys.

True. He could have used it to buy himself some time. I can't say that he wouldn't have gone to where Jesse was held up to kill him if things didn't play out as they did.I just don't see what would have changed his mind prior to seeing Jesse being slaved.

Kind of amazing how word of mouth turned this show into such a juggernaut. Though I never understood why so many people turn in for the FINALE of a series. Why decide at the very end "Yeah, I'll watch this episode"?

Some of them watched everything on Netflix and iTunes after the fact, some probably just knew it was a big deal.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Yeah, but, MASH has 100 mil, so whatevs. Klinger, I'll miss him.

Also, I'm so happy that AMC didn't decide to split the finale into five weekly 10 minute chunks.

MASH also ran for 11 years and was on network television, among other differences. Not really comparable.

Ibuki

Banned

It was the only packet in the container (correct me if I am wrong) and she always says stuff along the lines of 'I'll need more Stevia'. I think it was because she always met walt at the same table. I also have never even heard of Stevia before this show, so maybe it is a rare thing to add to your chamomile tea.

Raiden

Banned

People just record stuff and watch it later but for a grand finale people are more excited and watch it when it airs.

Dont really think people are just tuning in for finales alone.

spunodi

Whilst perhaps I would have liked in some ways this finale to be as mind-blowing as Ozymandias, it is a very fitting end to the series and satisfying. It really wrapped things up nicely and now leaves a beautifully pitched story in its wake.

And I really loved the Badger / Skinny Pete reveal with the laser pointers. I grinned so much there.

.GqueB.

Banned
The Finale was adequate- but I'm not certain it was a standalone, great episode.

Andy Greenwald's review sums it up perfectly. Taken with the rest of the show, it works and is fine, and doesn't LOWER the end of the show- but it didn't elevate the series to a new height.

I mentioned this earlier but I feel like the "finale" was two episodes ago. The last two were the epilogue. I mean the entire show built up to episode 14 and that's really hard to ignore for me.

People just record stuff and watch it later but for a grand finale people are more excited and watch it when it airs.

Dont really think people are just tuning in for finales alone.

Very good point. I've only watched this show live maybe 3 times.

Top Bottom