• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Breaking Bad always gives me such a high on the weekends... it never gets me too sad, and seeing Walt win on his way out was just an awesome way to go.

Now on to Season 2 of the Wire for me...

.GqueB.

Banned
Which shot was that?

VsgNwyI.jpg

I don't know why that shot stopped me in my tracks as much as it did.

amnesiac

Breaking Bad always gives me such a high on the weekends... it never gets me too sad, and seeing Walt win on his way out was just an awesome way to go.

Now on to Season 2 of the Wire for me...
Good luck... Couldn't bring myself to finish that season. S1 was great though...

-griffy-

Banned
I don't know why that shot stopped me in my tracks as much as it did.

It was interesting because Walt wasn't really doing anything. He wasn't being threatening, he wasn't sneaking, he wasn't menacing, and yet he was doing all those things. He was almost floating through the space instead of physically being there, seeing how they lived and what they had, what he didn't have, without care or regard for the occupants of the house, or for anything for that matter. It was peaceful and terrifying at the same time.

Why did Walt refer to Elliot and Gretchen as beautiful people?

They are "beautiful" people in that they are successful, wealthy, and charitable. He was kind of antagonizing them by saying it.

I just remember, yes I'm finally done with amc!!!

no more watching anything anymore from that cheapskate of a channel

now just had wait until 2015 to watch the last season of Mad Men on netflix

Pillville

Why did Walt refer to Elliot and Gretchen as beautiful people?

Maybe from the Beatles "Baby, You're a Rich Man"
How does it feel to be
One of the beautiful people?
Now that you know who you are
What do you want to be?
And have you travelled very far?
Far as the eye can see.
Baby you're a rich man,
Baby you're a rich man too.
You keep all your money in a big brown bag inside a zoo.

braves01

Banned
Good finale, still not totally satisfied as I would've liked to see a little more beyond police finding Walt's body, but I can respect choosing to end the episode there.

Not as good as American Horror Story Season 2 finale, however.

Is this probably why Mike explicitly said to the crew not to talk or bother Walt and Jesse in any way.
It's certainly a possibility but if I was to make a conclusion I'd probably lean towards saying no; the primary reasons being that Todd was used in the train robber and the announcement was to the entire crew.

Now, this isn't to say that Todd may not have been the primary focus, but if I was to interpret Mike's stern warning it would be a stern reminder of their position; that is, those who set up the house, nothing else. Walter and Jesse, to them, are not colleagues, they're not friends, they're not potential partners, and they are certainly not targets (as the crew had been involved in small time robbery). More than anything, Mike wanted their operation to be contained (particularly with the DEA presence) and, under no circumstances, wanted news of their operation to spread, a further problem to deal with (a disrespectful employee flying too close to the sun), or a 'potential Walter' (somebody who would want more than what they were being paid or try to operate a solo venture). Perhaps others took it differently, but I pretty much left his warning just so they were reminded of their position and would not interfere with the business that was being conducted inside of the houses.

Again though, it could definitely be interpretted how you've implied it but I imagine all of the crew had some connections (some clearly more than others though) to criminal activity (since they were all petty thieves beforehand) and wouldn't personally think he was specifically thinking of Todd in his warning.

Good luck... Couldn't bring myself to finish that season. S1 was great though...

It's a change of pace and I know many don't like it on their first watch but I would highly advise finishing it. It's a very slow pace overall (it is definitely my second favourite seasons of The Wire though and it has, by far, my favourite sequence in film or TV show at the end of the season) but everything comes together magnificently well by the end. The season plays an absolutely crucial role in the entire show as it firmly cements that the show is not merely a 'cops and robbers' style show and it has higher aspirations, that's in addition to the major role it plays for the remainder of the series. What I would strongly advise is for you to finish the second seasoon and, after that, finish the remainder of the show and, once you've done so, rewatch it (maybe not immediatey, but gradually, maybe in a two episode block every week or two) as I know for many who have watched the show in my vicinity have shared your lack of enthusiasm for it but, upon a rewatch, have drastically increased their admiration for the season. Of course, it's not for everyone so it's certainly possible you won't improve your opinion but I would implore you to at least finish the season (and if it's been awhile to rewatch the episodes you've already seen in the season because there are so many plot threads you absolutely do not want to forget some and be left somewhat bewildered at specific events).

Badosh

Good finale, still not totally satisfied as I would've liked to see a little more beyond police finding Walt's body, but I can respect choosing to end the episode there.

Not as good as American Horror Story Season 2 finale, however.

Not as...what? Excuse me.

Not sure if this has been asked but does anyone have a gif of Walt waking out of hollys room at the end. It looked like skylar was reaching out to Walt as he left with her left hand

.GqueB.

Banned
It was interesting because Walt wasn't really doing anything. He wasn't being threatening, he wasn't sneaking, he wasn't menacing, and yet he was doing all those things. He was almost floating through the space instead of physically being there, seeing how they lived and what they had, what he didn't have, without care or regard for the occupants of the house, or for anything for that matter. It was peaceful and terrifying at the same time.

Yea that was it. I also like how they didn't zoom in to show us exactly what he was looking at. It didn't really matter. Really beautifully done. I like the subtle camera work in this show but I hate those moments (like the shot I responded to) where the show is up it's own ass.

"Get it?

GET IT!@?!?@?21/2"

Watched the episode this morning ready to cry and be depressed after, but actually the ending was quite uplifting for me :lol

Jesse, finally, is free to live his life however he wants (this moment made me SO HAPPY), Jack and his bunch of Nazis died (fuck yeah!).

Walt (was he even Walt at this point?) died in his 'home' so to speak. That is where he is meant to be and it was a lovely moment seeing him admire his work and his legacy before his death. The song fitted absolutely perfectly btw.

I felt sad for Walt when he went to visit Gretchen and Elliot and he's looking around the house touching the walls and looking at the photos. All of that could have been his if he had stayed with Gretchen, and there's a great juxtaposition later on when we see where Skyler is living as a result of Walt :(

All in all, a really good ending for me. Felt true to their roots and I'n glad that this is what Gilligan wanted.

Will be buying the Blu-rays for sure, is there a difference between the barrel edition and the normal edition in terms of the extras?

Raiden

Banned
Just watched it and oh my god what a perfect and satisfying end to this.

Walt got what he want in the end. A good sum of money will find its way to Flynn ensuring his future and more. Skyler might get a decent life with that loterry ticket deam with the DEA. Marie and everyone else will be able to mourn and move on now that they found his remainings. Jesse is free.

And best of all, the Heisenberg legacy will die with Walt. The nazis are out, Lydia their means of transporting/distributing it are gone. The only one who knows how to cook the blue stuff is Jesse and thats not going to happen.

And the police found Walt/Heisenberg in the kitchen with the mask. Just perfect.

God what a ride ..

apana

Okay so I went on a breaking bad binge this weekend because of the AMC marathon. Had never seen the show before but watched it to the end. I think it was a pretty great show overall, not perfect, some of the slower moments really grate on me, and I could predict almost every single surprise before it happened, but still overall an awesome show. I really loved the theme of transformation.

I personally didn't like the finale though. I think it was good from the perspective of fans who wanted to see everything tied up but it didn't feel right for me. How he just comes back as this ghost like redeemed figure who kills everyone and saves the day. It wasn't horrible, it just wasn't the path I would have gone down. If I had a say I think I would have completed the transformation arc and have him become just completely evil by the end and start a new drug empire. It doesn't really matter though. The show reached its appropriate end in the desert and when Walter White is finally rejected by his family.

I have a few nitpicky complaints about the nature of the crime gangs, especially the Nazi guys at the end. They were a bit too ruthless and capable, more reminiscent of the freewheeling cartel type gangs you see south of the border but whatever. A really minor thing and you need to take some dramatic license I guess.

Overall I think I am going to need a few days to mull over everything I saw. Most powerful moment of the series for me was the flashback showing the death of Gus's friend by the cartel.

kehs

Banned
Okay so I went on a breaking bad binge this weekend because of the AMC marathon. Had never seen the show before but watched it to the end. I think it was a pretty great show overall, not perfect, some of the slower moments really grate on me, and I could predict almost every single surprise before it happened, but still overall an awesome show. I really loved the theme of transformation.

I personally didn't like the finale though. I think it was good from the perspective of fans who wanted to see everything tied up but it didn't feel right for me. How he just comes back as this ghost like redeemed figure who kills everyone and saves the day. It wasn't horrible, it just wasn't the path I would have gone down. If I had a say I think I would have completed the transformation arc and have him become just completely evil by the end and start a new drug empire. It doesn't really matter though. The show reached its appropriate end in the desert and when Walter White is finally rejected by his family.

I have a few nitpicky complaints about the nature of the crime gangs, especially the Nazi guys at the end. They were a bit too ruthless and capable, more reminiscent of the freewheeling cartel type gangs you see south of the border but whatever. A really minor thing and you need to take some dramatic license I guess.

Overall I think I am going to need a few days to mull over everything I saw. Most powerful moment of the series for me was the flashback showing the death of Gus's friend by the cartel.

Save the day? He didn't save shit except his own pride.

Him storming out, yes, but the nods they gave to each other nullifies that.

Jesse hated Todd more at that moment. Him treating Jesse like a slave and murdering Andrea in front of him is a different level and perspective to go through than knowing Walt let Jane OD and probably halfway believing Walt about calculating the amount of poison to give Brock.

I don't recall Jesse nodding back.

Arment

Just finished. Perfect.

I knew that other thread about disappointing finales was going to reference BB. I couldn't disagree more, this show...this show.

I'm not ready for this show ending depression I'm gonna start feeling.

Content Roundup - Episode 8 - Felina

DltSXCz.jpg

Videos
Reviews
- Onion A|V Club review
- Sepinwall's review
- Variety: TV Review: ‘Breaking Bad’ Finale Gets the Chemistry Just Right
- memles on the finale for Cultural Learnings
- Alyssa Rosenberg on the finale
- Slate.com review
- IGN review
- The Atlantic discussion
- Frazier Moore for AP
- Esquire
- LA Times
- Poniewozik's review for Time.com
- Tim Goodman on the finale for THR
- Warming Glow on the finale
- Matt Zoller Seitz review
- Maureen Ryan's review
- Badass Digest
- IndieWire #1
- Salon.com #2
- Slant Magazine
- Emily Nussbaum for The New Yorker
- Sean T Collins @ Rolling Stone
- Washington Post
- Chicago Sun Times
- Cinema Blend
- Collider
- NJ Star-Ledger
- Eric Deggans @ Tampa Bay Times
- The Week
- Film School Rejects
- EW.com
- Linda Holmes @ NPR
- Kate Arthur @ Buzzfeed
- Laura Bennett @ The New Republic
- Andy Greenwald's review for Grantland
- NY Times
- Toronto Star
- Jaime Weinman @ Maclean's
- Ryan McGee

Other
- AMC Q&A: Jesse Plemons (Todd Alquist)
- Poniewozik @ Time: How Walter White Became the One Who Knocks
- The Onion: ‘Breaking Bad’ Ends With Reveal That Whole Series Was Plot of Book Marie Shoplifted
- Bad Finger - Baby Blue (closing song)
- El Paso (Full-Length Version) - Marty Robbins
- NY Times: Walter White’s Soul, and Yours (Room For Debate Editorial Feature)
- Warming Glow: ‘Breaking Bad’ Series Finale GIF Highlights: Felina
- Salon: Why Flynn is the real hero of “Breaking Bad”
- National Geographic: Things You Should Know About Ricin
- NY Mag: 11 Breaking Bad Finale Facts Revealed on Talking Bad
- NY Mag: Your Final Breaking Bad GIFs
- EW Interview: Vince Gilligan explains series finale
- EW Interview: Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul discuss ending of 'Breaking Bad' finale
- THR: 'Breaking Bad': The Meaning of the Finale's Last Song
- Forbes: Working Bad: Exclusive Interviews With the Brains Behind 'Breaking Bad' (set of interview links)
- Rolling Stone: Lessons of the 'Breaking Bad' Series Finale
- Andy Greenwald answers a few BB questions in his September Mail Bag for Grantland
- The Week: Breaking Bad: An interview with the show's science advisor
- Canada.com podcast on the finale
- Barry Hertz @ Maclean's: Why Breaking Bad’s finale will disappoint—and we’re all to blame
- EW: 'Breaking Bad': 10 questions we'll never see resolved
- Onion A|V Club's "For Our Consideration" Feature: Breaking Bad ended the anti-hero genre by introducing good and evil
- NY Mag: The Dream of Jesse Pinkman’s Happy Ending
- THR: Beyond 'Breaking Bad': What's Next for the Show's Stars

3N16MA

Banned
This finale is getting the complete opposite reaction in comparison to the Dexter finale. Not surprising but it just makes Dexter look more shitty.

This was one depressing final season. Not one character on the show gets a happy ending.

Walt dies knowing he screwed everything up. Jesse lives a post traumatic life. Skyler is widowed. Flynn hates his father. Brock loses his mother. Saul works at a cinnabun. Todd and the Nazis, dead. Lydia, dead. Hank, dead. Gomez, dead. Marie, widowed.

There are two characters off the top of my head who end on a happy note. Badger and Skinny Pete.

Top Bottom