• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Not sure whether these have been posted already but there's some awesome minimalist posters for every Breaking Bad episode on this designer's Tumblr.

tumblr_mu5wz1y88V1ssmbizo1_1280.jpg

http://francavillarts.tumblr.com

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm watching Malcolm in the Middle now due to Cranston withdrawl and I've noticed in the last season or two, Hal gets much angrier and self possessed. I can see how this prequel theory would work out.

KugelBlitz

Neo Member
Has this been discussed yet; Die Like a Man: The Toxic Masculinity of Breaking Bad?

Overall, I definitely find it to be an incredibly thought-provoking article, however when reading upon this article with an objective manner, there are two quotes which I feel could be contested.

The show doesn’t just trace Walt’s arc from Mr. Chips to Scarface, as Gilligan famously described it, or from Walt to Heisenberg; it also maps his journey from being a “pussy” to being a “man.” And while he succeeds in his goals, it’s a transformation that comes at a high price.

If we really want to look at the definition of a man within the world of Breaking Bad, it’s easiest to start by looking at what it says a man is not: the Walter White we meet in the very first episode of the show.

And also;

In short, calling a man a “bitch” is designed to diminish his power by comparing him to a woman. It implies that women are weaker and less powerful, and also that they are to be used and dominated. “Bitch” is linked to exploitation, to submission; if you make someone your bitch, you force them to submit to your will, in one way or another. (Despite being the most famous and popular insult of Jesse Pinkman, it’s worth noting that Jesse almost never uses the word to describe women.)

Similarly, “pussy” is a word used almost exclusively against men, for the very reason that it reduces them from masculine to feminine, from a higher level of power to a lower one. What these words tell us is that men aren’t just defined by what they are; they’re defined by what they’re not supposed to be. Over and over again, men in Breaking Bad send and receive the message that the last thing they want to be is women.

The bits I have underlined are the points which I feel could be argued about, however I'm finding it rather hard to articulate my point, so I'd like to engage in a discussion about it - and hopefully solidify my soon to be cogent and cohesive point.

I shall return when I can argue my points in a more concise manner...

Thoughts in the shower: as much as "Baby Blue" was a fun song to end Breaking Bad with, I feel that "Come Sail Away" would have been much more apropo.

JustinBB7

I live in Holland so don't have AMC, I just checked their schedule for this week. All it is is some old movies here and there, and just walking dead 24/7.

Is that all AMC basically airs? Their own shows and some old stuff? Seems kinda weird to me. I think there is a marathon thing going on with Walking Dead but still, airing nothing but that 24/7 seems a bit odd, but I guess it works for them? Did they do this with Breaking Bad too?

VPhys

Awesome, awesome, series.

Can't believe I finally caught up to the finale. Need a .gif of Walter closing those doors, I still can't get that image out of my head.

And Skylar looking good on talking bad.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just saw a clip of Aaron Paul on The Price is Right.

That was hilarious.

BOB BARKER, BITCH!

Diablos

Speaking of Skylar... her final scene is really crushing stuff. You just get the impression that she's forever alone and dead inside, never to fully recover from what she had been put through. Sad, so sad.

kehs

Banned
knick of time police getaway

keys in the visor

sneaks into nations wide manhunts ex business partners house being unoticed

badger and skinny pete

supergeniusmcguver dickhead uses a tiny ass guy for a test run on the track m60 trial and it holds up

sneaks into nations wide manhunts ex wife tiny house being unoticed

todd being jealous that walt stole the jacket out of his closet

lydia stomping on todds stupidity as he's trying to simp

Honey Bunny

Way LTTP, finally got around to finishing it.

Add me to those who think the last two ep(s) were too fanservice-y and neat. Whereas the best BB eps feel like a punch in the gut when you've turned them off, this one almost leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling. Even the very ending shot with the spiralling zoom out seemed too cliche. The only parts in the finale I felt were essential were Walt finally telling Skyler the truth as to what was driving him, and Jesse telling him if he wants 'it' done, to do it himself. I'd have much preferred if those were written in to an extended Ozymandias episode used as a finale, or a single finale episode after Ozymandias (that didn't involve Walt going to his snowy getaway for a tea break). I'm disappointed they took the route they did but the post-Oz eps were still 'great' - just not fantastic like the others.

edit: I really liked the maniacal-Jesse-driving-off-in-the-car shot

I might be alone in this, but thinking back, Problem Dog is my favorite episode of the series

I really need to rewatch season four, because all I remember from that episode is Jesse's NA scene.

My favorite is still One Minute. It was almost perfection from every scene. Hank's beatdown of Jesse, Jesse's two speeches, and that final scene in the parking lot is the most intense scene of the entire series. Dean Norris sold everything after the phone call so well. Only thing I didn't like was Jesse accepting Walt's offer so soon after telling him off, but it fits into Jesse's need of validation from Walt, so it doesn't ruin anything.

Timbuktu

I really need to rewatch season four, because all I remember from that episode is Jesse's NA scene.

My favorite is still One Minute. It was almost perfection from every scene. Hank's beatdown of Jesse, Jesse's two speeches, and that final scene in the parking lot is the most intense scene of the entire series. Dean Norris sold everything after the phone call so well. Only thing I didn't like was Jesse accepting Walt's offer so soon after telling him off, but it fits into Jesse's need of validation from Walt, so it doesn't ruin anything.

Funny that, really like that ep as well for similar reasons. Jesse and. Hank have been the most well rendered and affecting characters for me and I liked problem dog because of Jesse's NA scene as you mentioned and for Hank's meticulous showcase of his detective skills. They were big moments in the series that has less action and felt less cartoony or too flashy when it comes to camera or staging.

What took away from One minute was that you always sort of know that Jesse wasn't going to leave Walt like that because it would be pretty difficult for the show. Whereas with Problem Dog, i never really knew where Hank's investagtion was going or where Jesse's heading.

Heh, from Variety this morning:

- Mipcom: Katzenberg Offered to Pay $75 million for Three Extra ‘Breaking Bad’ Episodes
CANNES — Jeffrey Katzenberg, the CEO of DreamWorks Animation, told an audience of TV execs at the Mipcom mart in Cannes that six weeks ago he offered to commission three extra episodes — totaling 180 minutes — of “Breaking Bad.” He offered to pay $25 million per episode, he said.

The episodes would continue from where the show ended.

“I had this crazy idea. I was nuts for the show. I had no idea where this season was going,” he said, during the keynote session at Mipcom.

“The last series cost about $3.5 million an episode. So they would make more profit from these three shows than they made from five years of the entire series,” he said.

He explained that he had intended to show the extra content as six-minute segments over 30 days online.

“I said (to them), ‘I’m going to create the greatest pay-per-view television event for scripted programming anybody’s ever done,’ ” he explained.

He planned to charge viewers from around 50 cents to 99 cents per episode.

However, this was before Katzenberg knew where the “Breaking Bad” creative team were taking the storyline, which meant his idea was a non-starter.

I've thought about it, and decided that this show ended too early. It was just plain lazy on Gilligan's part. I have decided to write the sixth season myself. I have come up with a logical way to continue Walt's story from the finale, and I think it's great.

I don't view this as a fan fiction. in my mind this will be the canonical continuation of Breaking Bad if Gilligan didn't give up.

Will post the first episode when it's done.

Kraftwerk

I've thought about it, and decided that this show ended too early. It was just plain lazy on Gilligan's part. I have decided to write the sixth season myself. I have come up with a logical way to continue Walt's story from the finale, and I think it's great.

I don't view this as a fan fiction. in my mind this will be the canonical continuation of Breaking Bad if Gilligan didn't give up.

Will post the first episode when it's done.

Will Malcolm McDowell be involved in any way?

Just to go back to a previous thing discussed in the series. The Gold in the Streets.
When does Walt extract the gold from the streets? Did I miss that one? Did he use the flouride mercury again?

As the rate of new posts in the thread slows down, I have realized that indeed something stops this train. :(
There isn't much new stuff to discuss at this point unless you want to dig into 'celebrities that didn't like the ending' and items like this:

- What 'Breaking Bad' Can Teach Us About Wedding Planning
- Recipe: Breaking Bad with Acorn Squash

maharg

idspispopd
There isn't much new stuff to discuss at this point unless you want to dig into 'celebrities that didn't like the ending' and items like this:

- What 'Breaking Bad' Can Teach Us About Wedding Planning
- Recipe: Breaking Bad with Acorn Squash

I think it's actually really interesting how much conversation about the show dropped off after it ended. The Dexter thread has been more lively, if anything, and that was a horrible show. I kind of think they got it about as right as they could and answered most of the important questions about the characters they needed to, and that left very little to talk about.

What's the point of arguing with the stallwart #teamwalt people when Walt admitted himself that he did it all for selfish reasons? What's the point in them arguing with everyone else when he still did manage to at least get his family money -- not redemption, to be sure, but at least in the long run Skyler and Jr. won't suffer even more than they already have.

Top Bottom