• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

Tacitus_

If Brexit ends up giving the United Kingdom the exact same deal it had before, but without any way to block anything and losing two agencies, and still probably losing the financial heart, then it is perfection.

It would, but I don't see the UK retaining its special arrangements.

jelly

What do you make of the theory that Boris wants a distance from the mess, so is grandstanding in a 'go on, fire me!' thing because he'd look weak for stepping down?

Brexit is a mess, there is no better deal, just varying choices of worse deals or a god awful no deal.

Boris is still trying to promise unicorns that poop candy which is impossible so that tells you that Brexit won't deliver and he knows this already. UK will take one of the worse deals to save face with the will of the people nonsense and he is just looking to slither off with an excuse of I could have done it but May wouldn't go for it so the UK missed out as he would have delivered candy pooping unicorns. Others take the blame for wasting everyone's time with Brexit and delivering just plain old shit instead of ignoring Brexit and he retires to sniping on the sidelines or goes for the top job after the dust settles. It's all a big pointless game that didn't need to happen and nobody wise is willing to stick their neck out and stop it.

Joni

It would, but I don't see the UK retaining its special arrangements.

Its special arrangements basically gave the UK the same deal as EEA countries, like the rebate means the UK paying as much per capita as Norway, no Euro, not part of area of freedom, security and justice, ... So basically you get to keep the special conditions, because they weren't that special.

Shiggy

Its special arrangements basically gave the UK the same deal as EEA countries, like the rebate means the UK paying as much per capita as Norway, no Euro, not part of area of freedom, security and justice, ... So basically you get to keep the special conditions, because they weren't that special.

But it looks like Norway doesn't really want the UK to be part of the EFTA, as they'd dominate that association once they join.

If Brexit ends up giving the United Kingdom the exact same deal it had before, but without any way to block anything and losing two agencies, and still probably losing the financial heart, then it is perfection.

Why would it lose financial dominance if it had the same situation as before? London's the overwhelmingly most popular financial centre in the EU right now for a reason.

Mivey

Norway has freedom of movement for EU citizens, and for their theirs in the EU in return. Unless I misinterpreted what "part area of freedom" is supposed to mean.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway–European_Union_relations
Also, Norway pays in relation to their GDP. Even in the EEA, that would be much higher for the UK. Unless of course Brexit has by then reduced your GDP to the level of Norway.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What do you make of the theory that Boris wants a distance from the mess, so is grandstanding in a 'go on, fire me!' thing because he'd look weak for stepping down?

It's not really a theory so much as a statement of the bleeding obvious.

It's not really a theory so much as a statement of the bleeding obvious.

Hey, I was giving Boris benefit of the doubt, maybe he isn't a manipulative liar who'll do anything for the sake of winning because this is all just a game to him

hahahahahahahahahaha no couldn't keep a straight face

Joni

Why would it lose financial dominance if it had the same situation as before? London's the overwhelmingly most popular financial centre in the EU right now for a reason.

Other European Union countries already tried to forbid Euro-trading in the Unite Kingdom because it is outside of the Euro. But as all member states are equal, that was against the court rules. European Economic Area members or similar deals don't get the same privilige. They are not equal.

Norway has freedom of movement for EU citizens, and for their theirs in the EU in return. Unless I misinterpreted what "part area of freedom" is supposed to mean.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway–European_Union_relations
Also, Norway pays in relation to their GDP. Even in the EEA, that would be much higher for the UK. Unless of course Brexit has by then reduced your GDP to the level of Norway.

"Area of freedom, security and justice", not freedom of persons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_of_freedom,_security_and_justice
Norway and the United Kingdom pay about the same thing: https://infacts.org/norwegians-pay-same-brits-eu-access/

One of those reasons being, you know part of the EU.

Other European Union countries already tried to forbid Euro-trading in the Unite Kingdom because it is outside of the Euro. But as all member states are equal, that was against the court rules. European Economic Area members or similar deals don't get the same privilige. They are not equal.

Ah right, gotcha. Not because the people that do it wouldn't want to do it in London anymore, but because they'd be banned from doing so. That's one way of making Frankfurt more appealing I guess.

Mivey

"Area of freedom, security and justice", not freedom of persons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_of_freedom,_security_and_justice
Norway and the United Kingdom pay about the same thing: https://infacts.org/norwegians-pay-same-brits-eu-access/

The EEA absolutely includes freedom of movement. The wikipedia article you linked even says that.
Here is a quote, directly about the EEA from the website of the European Parliament

c.Scope of the EEA

The EEA goes beyond traditional free trade agreements (FTAs) by extending the full rights and obligations of the EU's internal market to the EFTA countries (with the exception of Switzerland). The EEA incorporates the four freedoms of the internal market (free movement of goods, people, services and capital) and related policies (competition, transport, energy, and economic and monetary cooperation).
And I was saying that the UK, if it were to enter an EEA agreement would pay for the programmes in relation to their GDP, which is many times higher than that of Norway. Of course they might be able to negotiate a special rebate here as well, but just going for the basic deal would mean paying more in absolute terms.

Joni

Difference in GDP per capita between Norway and the UK is minimal. And it is higher for Norway than for the UK. Their total contribution is based on the total GDP, per capita however there is a limited difference in what they pay today. Because the UK already doesn't pay its full contribution, it is per capita pay is really similar to Norway.

The EEA absolutely includes freedom of movement. The wikipedia article you linked even says that.

I'm linking to something that is related to, but isn't the freedom of movement. It is about justice collaboration, Schengen,... All things that the EEA states can but aren't forced to follow if they don't want to. Just like the UK has a partial optout for it today, which it could keep as Swiss doesn't follow this either. It isn't the actual freedom of movement because you can't opt out of that.

These are two things we are discussing which I didn't say. It is the per capita, per person pay which I'm talking about. And the area for freedom, justice and security isn't the freedom of movement.

chadskin

Germany’s Angela Merkel has been told by the British government to expect Theresa May this week to offer to fill a post-Brexit EU budget hole of at least €20bn, the first attempt by London to meet European demands to settle its divorce bill.

Olly Robbins, the prime minister’s top EU adviser, has contacted his counterparts in several European capitals to reassure them Mrs May’s Friday speech in Florence would include the financial offer, according to officials briefed on the discussions.

Mrs May’s team is hoping the offer will break a three-month deadlock in Brexit talks with Brussels and allow them to move to a second phase of negotiations that would open discussions about a future trading relationship between the EU and the UK.
https://www.ft.com/content/410cb88e-9d58-11e7-9a86-4d5a475ba4c5

sammex

tumblr_owjqdutxci1t0grs4o1_1280.jpg

It was fun while it lasted. Come on Boris, it's never too late to resign.

pswii60

tumblr_owjqdutxci1t0grs4o1_1280.jpg

It was fun while it lasted. Come on Boris, it's never too late to resign.
Why is Boris so keen on a hard Brexit? I thought the story last year was that really he is a remainer, and he was only Brexiting in the referendum campaign to try and get Cameron's job. That failed obviously, thanks partly to Gove, but I don't see what's in it for him any more to be so demanding on a hard Brexit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why is Boris so keen on a hard Brexit? I thought the story last year was that really he is a remainer, and he was only Brexiting in the referendum campaign to try and get Cameron's job. That failed obviously, thanks partly to Gove, but I don't see what's in it for him any more to be so demanding on a hard Brexit.

Ask for a Spitfires-for-all-Brexit, undermine May if she won't deliver it, it is impossible to deliver, get fired by May, May cocks up Brexit because it was never possible, May is booted, ride back in to power because 'if only we'd done things my way'.

Same thing he planned to do with the EU referendum - back Leave, Remain wins, get booted by Cameron, when Cameron reached the end of his politiacl career, ride back in to power on 'I listened to the members'.

Boris has used this exact strategy like four or five times now. Genuinely odious. I can't believe I'm saying this, but at the very least, I think Michael Gove, for example, has some convictions. Boris is the conjuction of ambition and amorality.

chadskin

For those who can't access the FT article because of the paywall, it also contains some opinions of EU diplomats:

The EU’s opening position claims the UK has liabilities of up to €100bn, which would net out at €60bn when British receipts are stripped out. A €20bn net offer would allow the EU to avoid reopening its long-term budget plan prematurely, and would cover unpaid projects Britain signed off before its 2019 exit. It would not, however, cover long-term liabilities or spending promises made during the transition period.

Britain’s overture is likely to elicit a guarded response from remaining EU member states. While the move opens space for discussions on a financial settlement, negotiators are clear it would be insufficient.

“We will at least have something to talk about,” said one EU diplomat involved in Brexit. “But it is not where the landing zone is.” Another senior EU diplomat said: “Transition payments do not cancel the bill.”

Indeed, the two-year offer of payments — tied to a transition or “implementation period” — may fall short of expectations in some capitals. Before Mr Johnson published his plans, some EU diplomats had speculated Britain would suggest a three-year transition with approximately €30bn in net payments.

tuxfool

Banned
€20b? I thought the EU wanted closer to €60b? How is this going to solve anything?

Yes and No. What they want is to settle on a methodology that clearly determines what the value of the bill will be. Currently that result leads to 60bn.

However, the reason they're interested in a methodology is because they don't want the UK to be constantly shifting and changing values on each stage of the negotiation. If the fundamentals are there then the UK can't invent reasons for whatever payment changes they want to make.

Boris has used this exact strategy like four or five times now. Genuinely odious. I can't believe I'm saying this, but at the very least, I think Michael Gove, for example, has some convictions. Boris is the conjuction of ambition and amorality.

Oh, Gove absolutely does. His tenure at the DoE was characterised by his almost zealot-like conviction. In fact, that's sort of where the jokey cartoon about him flying the plane into the alien ship comes from - that he arguably has too much conviction.

You know that Londons biggest source of income is the financial district, right? Losing that is a hell of a blow on its own.

Not the isles, but whatever the speech would have been about in a Remain vote timeline would have been next to nothing about whether leaving or staying is important to the UK beyond a footnote.

Either way; compare to Trumps audience
http://ste.india.com/sites/default/files/2017/09/20/626078-trump.jpg
It's hard to not feel people don't really care about what May has to say.

To be fair, looking back at old Cameron speeches at the UN GA it looks like nobody ever gives a shit what the UK has to say.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/world...meron-addresses-general-assembly.html?mcubz=3

tuxfool

Banned

ss1

Neo Member
Certainly the statement that Brexit is the reason for people not giving a shit might not hold up.

But so much for the "Global" Britain free from the shackles of the EU that the numbskulls keep pushing doesn't hold up either if nobody gives a shit.

Before: Slightly relevant, mildly amusing.
After: Slightly irrelevant, mildly un-amusing.

Not the isles, but whatever the speech would have been about in a Remain vote timeline would have been next to nothing about whether leaving or staying is important to the UK beyond a footnote.

Either way; compare to Trumps audience
http://ste.india.com/sites/default/files/2017/09/20/626078-trump.jpg
It's hard to not feel people don't really care about what May has to say.

This has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with Theresa May.

Obviously Trump was going to get a full house, and on the first day too when people were fresh. But obviously Blair would have got a much bigger audience back in the day. Back when he had his nose browned by Bush.

Anyway, does anyone know what time Theresa's speech is tomorrow?

EDIT: Looking at past UN speeches by Merkel (eg 2010) there is also a half empty crowd. It seems people only turn up for the US.

jelly

So, May's talk tomorrow is apparently about a 2 year transitional deal were they will pay about 20 billion for the privilege and who knows what the other figure for leaving is. Also, they want to have access to the EU as now and in the future, single market access in a bespoke deal, lastly while this going on, they want to strike up trade deals with other countries.

I feel we have been down this road already except they are waving 20 billion in front the EU but it's totally not deductible, no sir, let us eat cake then it's totally deductible. I think we are going around in circles again.

I feel we have been down this road already except they are waving 20 billion in front the EU but it's totally not deductible, no sir, let us eat cake then it's totally deductible. I think we are going around in circles again.

Bro... don't you know that we can just walk away? The EU will be so damn sorry then. Yeah, that'll learn em.

Xando

Pretty much. It's the same nonsense proposal as earlier but May decided to throw 20 billion on top.

6 Months in and we still don't have a realistic position on a lot of topics from the UK.

Top Bottom