• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

Plum

Something like cleansing, rise from the ashes, the strongest survive. A Nazi, could be.

Yep, that's probably it.

As an aside, I only realised a few days ago but I started my university education a few months after the referendum vote and I will graduate from my university education a few months after we're expected to leave.

Talk about a dark cloud hanging over my already-anxiety-ridden head. Knowing that I might finish my degree and walk into another great recession doesn't exactly put my mind at ease.

avaya

I always wondered who the people who voted for and continue to think that any part of this is a good idea.

Sadly, now I know.

They revel in their ignorance. They take pride in it. Your part of the sheeple that use logic, evidence, reason and science. It's a MSM conspiracy, propaganda!

RenditMan

Banned
That’s good. Some of us are not easily persuaded by nationalistic propaganda either. So again, win win.

The vast majority of the world's countries:

Are not part of the EU.

Have trade deals.

Control immigration sensibly.

Manage their own imports and exports.

Do farming.

Have a smaller economy than the UK. The smallest 22 or so EU countries have a smaller combined economy than the UK.

We'll be fine. We should even closely work with our European friends on the important stuff.

I'm even seeing posts of people freaking out that a tiny country like New Zealand is going to somehow out compete our own farmers when they have high spiralling living costs and the cost of sending stuff half the way around the world in a boat. There's not one farmer in my area remotely concerned about this stuff.

I still don't think we'll get across the line with regards leaving but if we do the outcome will be very mundane and nothing like the hype.

The vast majority of the world's countries...
...haven't had a significant proportion of their companies build themselves into a system that specifically allows trade without borders and automatically ensures harmonised standards. A system that's going to be taken away from them within a couple of years causing significant additional overhead and potentially resulting in either job losses or, if margins aren't large enough, bankruptcy.

I already personally know of two companies that have closed down because European orders dried up overnight (due to uncertainty). There will be many, many more.

My own company is going to face significant overhead as we're currently hosting systems and data all over the EU and we don't have a fucking clue what impact Brexit will have on data privacy laws.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Just got round to reading this Peter North gem: http://peterjnorth.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/i-dont-like-this-brexit-but-i-will-live.html?m=1

"In the first year or so we are going to lose a lot of manufacturing."
"Meanwhile wages will stay depressed and because of the collapse of disposable income and availability of staff, we can probably expect the service sector to take a big hit thus eliminating all the jobs that might provide a supplementary income."
"Across the board we will see prices rising"
"It will cause a spike in crime."
"...it will wipe out the cosseted lower middle class and remind them that they are just as dispensable as the rest of us."
"Unemployment will be back to where it was in the 80's."

"...given the opportunity to vote again I would still vote to leave."
Jesus H Christ. What a lunatic.

I wonder how Brexiteers feel to see the pound so low everyday? Who needs experts right.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Yep, that's probably it.

As an aside, I only realised a few days ago but I started my university education a few months after the referendum vote and I will graduate from my university education a few months after we're expected to leave.

Talk about a dark cloud hanging over my already-anxiety-ridden head. Knowing that I might finish my degree and walk into another great recession doesn't exactly put my mind at ease.

But on a positive note, you probably won’t need to ever pay back your loan.

CCS

Banned
It's incredibly weird watching this unfold whilst having a job that gets more secure the more of a hard deal fuckup we end up with. If it wasn't for constantly being reminded I live in this shit country it would feel like I was watching it somewhere else.

I still can't believe we're doing this :(

That's because the only think people are capable of taking in is the shit that's parroted at them. It's incredibly depressing.

NO DEAL BETTER THAN A BAD DEAL...
STRONG AND STABLE, STRONG AND STABLE. RAAAAAAWWWK.

keep

...haven't had a significant proportion of their companies build themselves into a system that specifically allows trade without borders and automatically ensures harmonised standards. A system that's going to be taken away from them within a couple of years causing significant additional overhead and potentially resulting in either job losses or, if margins aren't large enough, bankruptcy.

I already personally know of two companies that have closed down because European orders dried up overnight (due to uncertainty). There will be many, many more.

My own company is going to face significant overhead as we're currently hosting systems and data all over the EU and we don't have a fucking clue what impact Brexit will have on data privacy laws.

I don't know why you bother with FACTS and OTHER REALITIES beyond what's in front of his nose. He'll be fine, ergo leaving the EU won't be too bad. You're all making such a big fuss over nothing, really.

Self-entitlement, condescension and stupidity. Textbook British exceptionalism

74% of our country are idiots

Theresa May ran her whole election by robotic numbers. She wouldn't have used the caatchphrase "no deal is better than a bad deal" if it didn't resonate in internal polls.

tuxfool

Banned
This is a flawed poll. The question is framed as no deal vs a "bad deal" - this will always lead to the no deal option winning the poll.

The more pertinent question is "no deal" vs. Single Market. 60% SM in that scenario, at least, book it.

Most people are utterly clueless about all of this, so they naturally think no deal is some status quo and a bad deal is worse than that.

Unfortunately the situation in which no deal is typically used is when both parties can walk away from the outcome, which is clearly not the case here.

TimmmV

Yep, that's probably it.

If your course isn't too demanding, it might be a good idea to take a foreign language class while doing your degree - wish I had, because doing it while also doing a full time job is pretty knackering.

There's probably no better time to go and live abroad for a bit then just after you finish uni anyway, let alone when the economy is entirely fucked

Plum

If your course isn't too demanding, it might be a good idea to take a foreign language class while doing your degree - wish I had, because doing it while also doing a full time job is pretty knackering.

There's probably no better time to go and live abroad for a bit then just after you finish uni anyway, let alone when the economy is entirely fucked

Thanks for the advice, but, whilst I could likely fit it in, I'm utterly hopeless when it comes to languages. It was one of those subjects back in secondary school where, no matter how hard I tried, I literally could not get a hang of things. I'll see if it's still possible though and consider whether I might want to start.

Micael

Are not part of the EU.

Have trade deals.

Do farming.

Have worse economies than those that are in the EU.

Have worse rights than those that are in the EU.

Have worse trading deals than those that are in the EU.

Have worse just about everything than those that are in the EU.

There fixed, after all if you are going to run with some seriously flawed logic which discounts current ties, infrastructure and geography, you might as well be exhaustive in following that logic.

illusionary

So, that second referendum petition has just been updated to indicate a debate on 11 December 2017. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200004 I wonder how low key they'll make this, seeing as the similar debate from September 2016 was not exactly well publicised.

Also reported in the Birmingham Mail, ffrom a quick search: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/mps-debate-holding-second-referendum-13746279

Capture.png

Number45

Oh God, we’re going to have to listen this whole second referendum bullshit again aren’t we.
Sounds more like they're still pushing for parliamentary consent of the final deal. Either way more dialogue and options are good, even if it'll just get the hard core brexiteers to rally around and cry foul once more.

theaface

All this talk of a transition deal, "avoiding the cliff edge" as a big sigh of relief... I don't get it. Surely it's not avoiding the cliff edge at all, just moving it a little ways into the distance?

Given the cadence of negotiations so far and May's utter fantasy of "not single market, not customs union, not EEA, not FTA but something creative and new", what are people actually expecting to give come March 2021? Or is it just a cynical-as-fuck exercise in stalling for time so that Labour can be the one holding the bomb when it finally detonates?

So, that second referendum petition has just been updated to indicate a debate on 11 December 2017. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200004 I wonder how low key they'll make this, seeing as the similar debate from September 2016 was not exactly well publicised.

Also reported in the Birmingham Mail, ffrom a quick search: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/mps-debate-holding-second-referendum-13746279
tzoZhbe.png

Was that always there?

Can't imagine what the debate will look like.

Mr. Sam

If you ever do one referendum, I never understood the logic of not then doing an infinite number of them. "Because they're costly, divisive and the public are shit at making policy" is a good argument, but then you shouldn't have had one in the first place. "We'd like this." "The people have spoken!" "Oh, and also--" "The people have abruptly shut up! The people have gone eerily quiet! The people have developed selective mutism!"

Are not part of the EU.

Have trade deals.

Do farming.

Have a smaller economy than the UK. The smallest 22 or so EU countries have a smaller combined economy than the UK.

We'll be fine. We should even closely work with our European friends on the important stuff.

I'm even seeing posts of people freaking out that a tiny country like New Zealand is going to somehow out compete our own farmers when they have high spiralling living costs and the cost of sending stuff half the way around the world in a boat. There's not one farmer in my area remotely concerned about this stuff.

I still don't think we'll get across the line with regards leaving but if we do the outcome will be very mundane and nothing like the hype.

Dude whatever your opinion on leave or remain, you cannot seriously believe that the current Government is leading us into this promised future where ‘we’ll be fine’. Frankly, I don’t want us to ‘be fine’. I want this country to be fucking amazing. And everything we’ve seen so far has just been party before country. I have zero faith in this lot.
If you can’t see that we are driving spectacularly fast towards a recession and economic disaster because of inept and incompetent government then good luck to you. Or not. I don’t care.

oilvomer

In all seriousness what would be the point of a referendum on the final deal? it is flawed logic, firstly it would give the EU a even greater incentive to stick to their guns, and secondly what if we voted down the final deal? we can not simply keep repeating said negotiations until 2050.

In all seriousness what would be the point of a referendum on the final deal? it is flawed logic, firstly it would give the EU a even greater incentive to stick to their guns, and secondly what if we voted down the final deal? we can not simply keep repeating said negotiations until 2050.
Either we then leave with no deal or remain. It’s better than the Lemming option

Right now when a deal is reached it will have to get passed by an act of Parliament.That means MP's will have to vote on the deal and decide whether it's good enough the UK. The problem for all these MP's is that they are going to be putting their name for or against it.

The majority of MPs think this whole thing is terrible and have no doubt the deal we get is going to be awful. So the cowardly option would be to call a second referendum.

It's a get out of jail free card. The public are the reason this is all happening. Why not call a second one and see if their so hot for it now we know the deal? If they change their mind, then the MP's are saved.

sohois

People that want a second referendum hope it will contain 3 options: Deal, No Deal and Remain, thus guaranteeing a win for remain when the leave vote splits. A referendum that's just Deal or No Deal would be pointless

Daffy Duck

People that want a second referendum hope it will contain 3 options: Deal, No Deal and Remain, thus guaranteeing a win for remain when the leave vote splits. A referendum that's just Deal or No Deal would be pointless

I want a live TV game show version of the vote with Noel Edmonds and Treseme as the banker on the end of the phone.

Uzzy

Flip it on its head a bit. Let's say that the final deal turns out to be the Norway option and we join the EEA for the indefinite future. It's highly likely that Parliament would vote for such an option, and the hardcore Brexiteers would go nuclear over the 'establishment stitchup.'

I think we'd see them demanding a second referendum at that point, to see if the British people will accept that as the future direction of the country.

jelly

I don't have faith in politicians not being spineless cowards only looking to save their own job. I can't imagine them putting out another vote like that instead of carrying on with will of the people crap. Is there enough fear that their names will forever be tainted by making us leave the EU, I'm not sure, they are such arseholes.

Doesn't the EEA have to accept the UK which is another kettle of fish? I remember reading they wouldn't be too fond of the UK joining.

Top Bottom