• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

Mr. Sam

I think bigger news is Phillip Hammond saying there'll be no cash in the budget for a no-deal Brexit (because of course there won't; that would be an astronomical redistribution of funds and everybody would be freaking the fuck out): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41577065

One can prepare for a no-deal Brexit in as much as one can prepare to jump from a ten-story building - you might feel more comfortable having invested in a helmet and knee-pads but they're probably still not going to make much difference.

TimmmV

I think bigger news is Phillip Hammond saying there'll be no cash in the budget for a no-deal Brexit (because of course there won't; that would be an astronomical redistribution of funds and everybody would be freaking the fuck out): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41577065

One can prepare for a no-deal Brexit in as much as one can prepare to jump from a ten-story building. You might feel more comfortable having invested in a helmet and knee-pads but they're probably still not going to make much difference.

Yeah, but we will come up with our own better laws of physics, it will be a great success for great Britain

Why do you REMOANERS always have to talk down our chances???

EmiPrime

One can prepare for a no-deal Brexit in as much as one can prepare to jump from a ten-story building - you might feel more comfortable having invested in a helmet and knee-pads but they're probably still not going to make much difference.

Talking down the country. Sad!

Uzzy

eucartoon.png

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden

Wow, it's like they're intentionally making the Conservatives unelectable for the next election.

By the same token, shouldn't everyone who's currently a recipient of EU funds freak the fuck out over this? The UK not even pencilling in the possibility of matching that funding is going to screw over numerous projects and people.

By the same token, shouldn't everyone who's currently a recipient of EU funds freak the fuck out over this? The UK not even pencilling in the possibilify of matching that funding is going to screw over numerous projects and people.

If you listen close enough, you can hear Universities scream in a blind panic beyond the sound of companies closing.

Mr. Sam

By the same token, shouldn't everyone who's currently a recipient of EU funds freak the fuck out over this? The UK not even pencilling in the possibility of matching that funding is going to screw over numerous projects and people.

It's not just things the EU supports, it's things the EU plainly does for us. It would be too late to start preparing to replace those things already - assuming the end of Article 50 is the end of our membership - but the wheels haven't even begun turning.

For example, we could start building new customs facilities in Dover and the Irish border, hire extra government personnel and/or buy greater IT capacity. Again, they're the metaphorical knee pads that you're wearing to protect yourself from a fall off a building, but they're something.

slider

It's not just things the EU supports, it's things the EU plainly does for us. It would be too late to start preparing to replace those things already - assuming the end of Article 50 is the end of our membership - but the wheels haven't even begun turning.

For example, we could start building new customs facilities in Dover and the Irish border, hire extra government personnel and/or buy greater IT capacity. Again, they're the metaphorical knee pads that you're wearing to protect yourself from a fall off a building, but they're something.

The bolded isn't something that the government, any UK government, has a stellar record with.

Edit: My snide comment ignored your actual point. Sorry...

PJV3

Every few days I catch up on this thread and leave with an intense feeling I need to stock up on canned food.

There might not be any canned goods if we lose the distribution network of EU countries, start digging for victory and grow as many turnips as you can.

jelly

It's almost like Brexit will cost a bloody fortune and nobody wants to say, public finances
will be squeezed to dust, we still need more to make it work and it will cost considerably more than whatever EU payments we made plus our economy will shrink, production will crater, services will struggle or leave meaning less tax money to spend and invest. Screwed is putting it lightly and nobody has the decency to say it, probably because the economy would go completely tits up now rather than slightly delayed. Tell people the truth and they may change their mind so we can cancel this mess.

Mr. Sam

There might not be any canned goods if we lose the distribution network of EU countries, start digging for victory and grow as many turnips as you can.

They'll have got ahead of the game if they stock up on canned goods now. They'll be the ruler of our glorious post-Brexit society in which baked beans are the only currency.

Maledict

I’m back to utterly despairing about my future thanks to brexit. I work in the public sector, I’m entering the period where you make the biggest jumps in your career, and it’s going to be utterly and completely fucked by these morons and our MPS. How can anyone talk about a 10year recession and maybe a depression and think that’s okay? That’s the sort of economic disaster which affects *generations*.

TimmmV

So that Peter North guy mentioned on the last page went full fash:

https://twitter.com/PeteNorth303/status/918014813997092864

Can't believe we're being taken out by people like this

What a scumbag

I'm back to utterly despairing about my future thanks to brexit. I work in the public sector, I'm entering the period where you make the biggest jumps in your career, and it's going to be utterly and completely fucked by these morons and our MPS. How can anyone talk about a 10year recession and maybe a depression and think that's okay? That's the sort of economic disaster which affects *generations*.

We are still getting over the last one too!

But yeah, life in this country looks increasingly fucked for the medium term future :(

jelly

I’m back to utterly despairing about my future thanks to brexit. I work in the public sector, I’m entering the period where you make the biggest jumps in your career, and it’s going to be utterly and completely fucked by these morons and our MPS. How can anyone talk about a 10year recession and maybe a depression and think that’s okay? That’s the sort of economic disaster which affects *generations*.

Won't affect them. They may even get rich off of it. A directorship here, a favour for friend there, a guaranteed nice pension. Tossers, the lot of them. Party over country, they are selfish morons.

PJV3

They'll have got ahead of the game if they stock up on canned goods now. They'll be the ruler of our glorious post-Brexit society in which baked beans are the only currency.

People will love it, they can re-live the war years and rationing, young people will be confused by tropical fruit when we come out the other side of Brexit.

excowboy

I'll probably end up turning tricks for a tin opener though... still, at least I'll have no meddling EU regulations to contend with, right guys? Guys...?

Its only a slow beat but the drums for a second referendum are starting to roll

I always said thats how they'll fudge it, as no one will have voted for the clusterfuck we're going to end up with

DiGiKerot

I'll probably end up turning tricks for a tin opener though... still, at least I'll have no meddling EU regulations to contend with, right guys? Guys...?

Pre- or Post-Brexit tin opener? I can wait to see what unholy, and no doubt completely safe, Proper British Tin Openers we come up with without all those bloody EU safety regulations getting in the way!

jelly

People will love it, they can re-live the war years and rationing, young people will be confused by tropical fruit when we come out the other side of Brexit.

I think people want to imagine life will be the Antiques Roadshow or whatever country side living it may be.

PJV3

I'm claiming Portsmouth docks as my patch, I might get the odd exotic gift like things made of plastic.

jelly

I always said thats how they'll fudge it, as no one will have voted for the clusterfuck we're going to end up with

Doesn't really solve it though. Vote to accept this deal or not, no then hard Brexit it is then. The only sane thing is to cancel Brexit and explain properly to the public why and how the UK will engage with the EU to do better.

I think people want to imagine life will be the Antiques Roadshow or whatever country side living it may be.

There is a trend amongst some to worship the harried past, e.g. blitz spirit, and complain that kids have easier lives than they did.

Nostalgia is one thing, willingly harming everyone for something no sane person wants to relive is another.

There is zero point in a second referendum when we're dealing with people that actually believe that no deal is somehow a valid option.

We'll never educate the people of the country enough on the situation whilst the newspapers are working their propaganda magic.

Chinner

Banned
There is zero point in a second referendum when we're dealing with people that actually believe that no deal is somehow a valid option.

We'll never educate the people of the country enough on the situation whilst the newspapers are working their propaganda magic.
It feels like we're put against the old generation who have already decided what they feel is best for the country. Luckily the news papers influence over the younger generations is not very substantial. Equally, The Tories have been helping alot with their infighting.

There may be an opportunity in late 2018 or even early 2019. It will only be possible if we start to feel effects - I. E. Companies pulling out and and mass sackings, living standards dramatically dropping etc.

PJV3

It feels like we're put against the old generation who have already decided what they feel is best for the country. The Tories have been helping alot with their infighting.

There may be an opportunity in late 2018 or even early 2019. It will only be possible if we start to feel effects - I. E. Companies pulling out and and mass sackings, living standards dramatically dropping etc.

That's why i was hoping if companies are going to leave they get on with it now, at least there will be time to do something. The Japanese shouldn't expect anything from the clowns in government to snatch a last minute deal.

jelly

It doesn't help that Corbyn will gladly take us out the EU as well.

The economy really needs to implode soon so it slaps people in the face which sucks for us all but how else do you change course if politicians are only looking out for themselves.

oilvomer

That's why i was hoping if companies are going to leave they get on with it now, at least there will be time to do something. The Japanese shouldn't expect anything from the clowns in government to snatch a last minute deal.

The problem is we don't know what they are getting promised behind closed doors, Nissan for example clearly got to have a huge input in the bill to make all garages have electric car chargers etc.

If they are being told (which would not surprise me) that tax etc will be adjusted to make sure they do not lose out, infact Labours Brexit looks the most dangerous on paper to me as they want to keep the status quo and raise corporation taxes, in that scenario I could see mass closures

I am not advocating a Singapore style country BTW, just that I think Labours Brexit is more dangerous, if on paper it looks better

Christmas onwards imo. Companies arnt going to wait around until March 19 as the likelihood of his walking out is increasing.
Many multinationals will already have a ‘hard brexit’ Scenario planned for by now, and yes I agree they won’t wait another 6 months. Plans like that take time to implement. Sooner the better.

jelly

I've already heard leavers say, we will just build/grow our own stuff then, who needs the foreign supply chain. I almost want the country to be awful just to see their faces.

dumbo

If theres no movement in 6 months time I can see companies leaving on mass, no ones going to hedge on that level of uncertainty
Whilst I know what you mean, it's worth mentioning that the problem is not uncertainty.

The UK has put a gun to it's head. Clearing up the uncertainty by pulling the trigger is not going to help matters.

I've already heard leavers say, we will just build/grow our own stuff then, who needs the foreign supply chain. I almost want the country to be awful just to see their faces.

It's always that or 'We're/You're the UK, other countries will be lining up to do business', forgetting that such both takes time and will nevertheless struggle to compete with frigging European supply's place that it has now, in terms of value.

RenditMan

Banned

Not really, we could just drop tariffs on items we're struggling with supply of and advertise that we're buying. We literally can selectively import wtf we like with no tariffs if we want when outside the EU.

As big and scary the export numbers sound its estimated that less than 10% of UK business exports, and even less of those to the EU. Even with tariffs we would still export to the EU and whilst supply and demand laws would suggest the higher prices caused by tariffs would slow demand, there's no guarantee we actually would have much higher prices if we manage imports well and don't slap punitive tariffs on everything.

Also the Eu has free trade agreements with other countries who have totally different market regulations, there's no reason other than spite why a trade agreement cannot be struck with them when we currently have regulation parity.

Coffee for instance, beans have no tariff applied by the EU but HUGE tariffs applied if they are roasted. We are all paying through the nose for roasting whilst keeping a foot on the head of coffee growers in countries that could really do with being able to expand their industries.

Wow.
Labour's Karen Buck asks about the position of EU nationals in a "no deal" Brexit.

She asks for reassurance for her 10,000 EU constituents in Westminster North.

Theresa May says she "values" the contribution of EU citizens and "we want them to stay".

But "if there is no deal we will have to have arrangements with other states".

She says the UK and EU are "very close to an agreement" on EU citizen's rights.

Not really, we could just drop tariffs on items we're struggling with supply of and advertise that we're buying. We literally can selectively import wtf we like with no tariffs if we want when outside the EU.
You make it sound like trade agreements are based on need, with flexible quotas.

RenditMan

Banned
You make it sound like trade agreements are based on need, with flexible quotas.

Tariffs are not based on need, no. The vast majority of goods we buy are desire related purchases and not need related purchases. The reality that governments slap import tariffs on goods that are needed is irksome to me.

We all need the lowest prices for goods as possible, the protection of prices is only considered for the biggest and most influential of organisations.

Top Bottom