• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

theaface

From the same article:

Tory MPS who oppose a hard Brexit have declared they will not back any amendments tabled by Labour’s frontbench and bearing Jeremy Corbyn’s name, but say they would be prepared to line up with amendments from like-minded Labour backbenchers.

Jesus Christ. Even the supposedly rational Tories can't bear to look past their partisan anti-Corbyn bullshit to focus on the single biggest issue for this country in a generation.

jelly

Make some form of payment to the EU and abide by the four freedoms, but not involved in making new legislation, I think.

Basically stay an EU member without getting to be in the room when decisions are made.

I think this is the best scenario that is available for the EU.

I don't buy that either, what's the point. I would certainly take it but that deal is so stupid instead of just cancelling Brexit which is the only sensible option. If the government does that just to say they've done Brexit what an absolute embarrassment. Collaboration is what we should be doing, even if the UK sticks it's oar in when it shouldn't.

That deal is basically that nonsense taking back control leavers foamed actually being somewhat true!

I don't buy that either, what's the point. I would certainly take it but that deal is so stupid instead of just cancelling Brexit which is the only sensible option. If the government does that just to say they've done Brexit what an absolute embarrassment. Collaboration is what we should be doing, even if the UK sticks it's oar in when it shouldn't.

That deal is basically that nonsense losing control leavers foamed at!
That'd be for the transition period only, not as a long term deal.

Public opinion beginning to shift in a more decisive way (YouGov), more MPs speaking out against a 'no deal' Brexit, the EU hardening it's stance in response to British buffoonery, even Corbyn saying he'd vote for remain again given the chance.
It's clear that no amount of economic self-harm will help reverse Brexit now, I think the only two options are 1. a party winning a general election on a remain platform (not gonna happen with Corbyn in all likelihood, and there's no general election in sight), or 2. a referendum on a final deal which clearly offers the choice of stopping Brexit altogether (no idea if that's even possible?)

Public opinion beginning to shift in a more decisive way (YouGov), more MPs speaking out against a 'no deal' Brexit, the EU hardening it's stance in response to British buffoonery, even Corbyn saying he'd vote for remain again given the chance.
Add in the focus and legal challenge on the government's hidden reports on how brexit will affect 50 different sectors and I think we have all the ingredients for turning public opinion against brexit.

Of course it's still a small chance but all the pieces are being put in place.

oti

Banned
Or go back and negotiate something else at the very least. If the EU are offering the Norway option, then that shouldn't take much time to negotiate, and could possibly get sorted in early 2019, in an extreme situation.

Norway: [laughs]

keep

I wish it wasn't true but I don't think May will stop article 50 or go for the 'Norway option'. It'll be such an embarrassing scenario for her, and the relationship with the EU would be permanently damaged in the eyes of the average British voter after two years of very obvious in-fighting. Her partisan press would also DESTROY her.

I think given those options (crash out, stay or Norway option) she will choose to crash out to save face with her voters. That's why it's crucial for her to get a deal.

I think you'll see her capitulate in things like EU citizen rights and the divorce bill in the next few weeks and negotiations will come unstuck.

Lagamorph

From the same article:

Jesus Christ. Even the supposedly rational Tories can't bear to look past their partisan anti-Corbyn bullshit to focus on the single biggest issue for this country in a generation.
Cornyn is one of the biggest Brexiters in UK politics. Anything tabled by him would almost certainly have some kind of proviso in it that anything was temporary only and require some guarantee of an eventual 'full' Brexit. Corbyn is against single market access as well, he's only had Labour support of it forced upon him.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Cornyn is one of the biggest Brexiters in UK politics. Anything tabled by him would almost certainly have some kind of proviso in it that anything was temporary only and require some guarantee of an eventual 'full' Brexit. Corbyn is against single market access as well, he's only had Labour support of it forced upon him.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...n-says-would-vote-remain-second-eu-referendum

Asked if he would vote remain if a new referendum were held tomorrow, Corbyn replied: “There isn’t going to be another referendum, so it’s a hypothetical question but yes, I voted remain because I thought the best option was to remain. I haven’t changed my mind on that."

Add in the focus and legal challenge on the government's hidden reports on how brexit will affect 50 different sectors and I think we have all the ingredients for turning public opinion against brexit.

200.gif

There's far too many Brexiteers still around. Maybe in 10 to 20 years time when those who grew up in the dying days of Empire (and are for some reason wanting to return to those times) are all cold in the ground, there might be enough of a shift.

Add to that "well we've voted for it, should be should carry on with it" AKA heathledgerallpartoftheplan.gif part of the population.

Or "stop talking our country down!" people.

Or the classic delusionalists who believe we will have a better 'deal' than the one we had.

And generally to many poorly educated individuals who blamed the EU for just about anything that had gone wrong in recent decades, and believed the ridiculous Express/Mail scare stories at face value.

perhaps it's just cynicism, but I've got no faith in this country as a collective group of people any more.

Par Score

Cornyn is one of the biggest Brexiters in UK politics.

This is complete bollocks and you know it.

In a world including Brexiteers like Farage, Cummings, Hannan, Gove, Fox, Carswell, Leadsom, Lawson and Raab (off the top of my head) Corbyn doesn't even rank.

Especially since Corbyn voted remain and has repeatedly said he would still vote remain.

200.gif

There's far too many Brexiteers still around. Maybe in 10 to 20 years time when those who grew up in the dying days of Empire (and are for some reason wanting to return to those times) are all cold in the ground, there might be enough of a shift.

Add to that "well we've voted for it, should be should carry on with it" AKA heathledgerallpartoftheplan.gif part of the population.

Or the classic delusionalists who believe we will have a better 'deal' than the one we had.

And generally to many poorly educated individuals who blamed the EU for just about anything that had gone wrong in recent decades, and believed the ridiculous Express/Mail scare stories at face value.

perhaps it's just cynicism, but I've got no faith in this country as a collective group of people any more.

Given the chart on the previous page, I can't help but feel that this broad period (ie, 2010s, maybe a bit of the 2020s) was the last real shot the anti-EU movement might have had to actually find some way to withdraw. The country was and is split down the middle on the matter in a way that margin of error could still win it for them. Had it been left any longer, I'm really not sure that would be the case.

Edit: Of course the frustrating thing is that with their success on the referendum, enough people might grow used to being outside the EU that if we get another referendum in say, 20 years, the Leave/Outside vote will be shored up by a new generation.

Public opinion is seemingly set by outlets like the Daily Mail.

They're not changing their mind. People have been duped into having their opinions defined by outlets whose political views revolve around serving the rich.

200.gif

While all that is true, I do feel the change is coming and with something as Mammoth and potential permanent as brexit the idea of just going ahead with it while every sign is pointing to a disaster makes it something of an outlier.

Of course all of the right wing press and brexiters will still say everything is fine but when you already have tory MPs siding with Labour against a no deal scenario it changes things.

Will there be enough time to reverse it? As it stands probably not but we still have enough time for a clearer picture of what post brexit will be for the average person and so far it looks like it could get even worse so it could speed things up a bit.

I'm the most cynical person around but I have a slither of hope with how things COULD go given things so far.

Lagamorph

This is complete bollocks and you know it.

In a world including Brexiteers like Farage, Cummings, Hannan, Gove, Fox, Carswell, Leadsom, Lawson and Raab (off the top of my head) Corbyn doesn't even rank.

Especially since Corbyn voted remain and has repeatedly said he would still vote remain.

Most of them weren't on live TV the morning after the referendum demanding that Article 50 be invoked immediately with no consultation or study as to the consequences.

I'd honestly doubt that Corbyn voted Remain as well, or at the very least that he did so because he genuinely believed in remaining in the EU. There's 30 odd years of evidence to the contrary prior to the referendum and multiple points of him trying to force Brexit through after the referendum.

TeddyBoy

Given the chart on the previous page, I can't help but feel that this broad period (ie, 2010s, maybe a bit of the 2020s) was the last real shot the anti-EU movement might have had to actually find some way to withdraw. The country was and is split down the middle on the matter in a way that margin of error could still win it for them. Had it been left any longer, I'm really not sure that would be the case.

Edit: Of course the frustrating thing is that with their success on the referendum, enough people might grow used to being outside the EU that if we get another referendum in say, 20 years, the Leave/Outside vote will be shored up by a new generation.

Hasn't YouGov dones polls and worked out that by just demographic changes that in a couple years Remain would've won?

I agree and think anti-EU sentiment will decline once Europe's economy recovers more, Brexits fallout becomes apparent and the European migration crisis finally comes to a close.

I don't think you need to worry about people getting used to being outside the EU, with the recession that will come about because of Brexit, I expect the younger generations to be just as pro-Remain as they are now.

I don’t really buy the “oh it’ll be so bad we’ll be back in the EU in 20 years argument”. The only way we can stay in or close to being single market members (and this is what I hope happens) is if through various transition deals and so on eventually just become de fact permanent which I don’t entirely rule out at this moment in time.

If the break is made then I really don’t see any way we’d go back in, the EU will push to be closer integrated and the UK will diverge and slowly (much much slower than brexiter a will have you believe) build up a new trade policy such that going back in again would be as complicated as leaving in the first place. But you never know.

keep

Corbyn is a pragmatic Brexiteer / reluctant Remainer much like Paul Mason is. I don't think he would take the country off a cliff for a purity test like the Tories seem to want to do.

avaya

Need more polls like the latest YouGuv which are outside the margin of error.

30-35% of the Leave vote is unlikely to ever change, they are racist and fully demented. There is a softer 15-20% who can be swung back when they suffer economic hardship and personal inconvenience.

Lagamorph

Did he actually say "immediately" or did he say "now"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_dstsWkEFc

The first thing he says, "Article 50 has to be invoked now"
This was at 7:30am the day after the referendum, literally within hours of the final result being known.

Corbyn later denied that was what he said, seeming to forget that he was being interviewed on Live Television with millions of people watching and that it would be recorded.

Or are you trying to argue that when he said "Now", he didn't mean "Now" but "later"? Because if that's what he meant, he shouldn't have used the word "Now" which means...well...Now.

The full quote is "Article 50 has to be invoked now so that we negotiate an exit from the European Union"
The only way to interpret that is that he means "Invoke Article 50 immediately, then we can start looking at negotiations". If that's not what he meant then he's a fucking idiot who has no place as the leader of a political party.

30-35% of the Leave vote is unlikely to ever change, they are racist and fully demented. There is a softer 15-20% who can be swung back when they suffer economic hardship and personal inconvenience.

65/35 or 70/30 would be a veritable landslide.

"Article 50 has to be invoked now, so we [can] negotiate an exit from the EU".

See, I saw that interview on that morning and it didn't come across to me as him meaning "immediately".

I agree that "now" is a confusing word to use as it can mean (and has been taken to mean) immediately.

Lagamorph

"Article 50 has to be invoked now, so we [can] negotiate an exit from the EU".

See, I saw that interview on that morning and it didn't come across to me as him meaning "immediately".

I agree that "now" is a confusing word to use as it can mean (and has been taken to mean) immediately.

What else can it mean?

jelly

I honestly don't believe Corbyn voted remain. The EU doesn't suit his agenda and he has enough history to show how he feels about it and looking at Labour now they are trying to fool voters into thinking they are for remain but are really with the tories and fence sitting at best. I'm surprised people haven't noticed, maybe the hate is strong anything but Tory is worth voting for but it still puts us in the shitter.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

I’m inclined to believe that opinions have crystalised since the vote, and that there’s now a much smaller number of people who are sway-able.

jelly

I think if you ended Brexit tomorrow, the majority of people in the UK would be grateful. People are just fed up with voting, Brexit, nobody being constructive, local issues being ignored but that would take a competent government that doesn't blame others for it's problems. The leavers would piss and moan for a bit but then it's Christmas and the World Cup next summer. Someone just needs to end this farse and get down to fixing the UK properly instead of the Brexit distraction for the next 10-20 years that will likely make matters worse.

avaya

I’m inclined to believe that opinions have crystalised since the vote, and that there’s now a much smaller number of people who are sway-able.

I don't disagree with you, but that's why I believe hardship and personal inconvenience will be necessary.

jelly

I love his nonsense of buying more from the rest of the world, you're just exchanging one for another that will cost more, what's the point and we do source lots in the UK but you know, seasons and capacity. Will middle England give up their countryside living for more crops, I don't think so.

What an idiot to even suggest that, the article even address how dumb this idea is

"Rather than planning for no deal, ministers appear to be telling us to dig for no deal," said shadow Brexit minister Jenny Chapman. "British farmers already work incredibly hard and to suggest that they could simply grow more food is ridiculous."

To say "Just work harder," shows how idiotic some people can be.

"Oh man, the economy is going to go to shit if we leave with out a deal."
"It'll be fine, you just have to work harder."
As if working harder will magically make everything fine.

No wonder some developing countries have a struggling economy, they just haven't been working hard enough.
/s

EmiPrime

What an idiot to even suggest that, the article even address how dumb this idea is

To say "Just work harder," shows how idiotic some people can be.

"Oh man, the economy is going to go to shit if we leave with out a deal."
"It'll be fine, you just have to work harder."
As if working harder will magically make everything fine.

No wonder some developing countries have a struggling economy, they just haven't been working hard enough.
/s

But it will be good for us pampered millennials. Nothing like a 10+ year recession and food poverty to build character!

Lol, it'll all die at the farm, as every fucker who picked it before will have been deported

I don't think we can sink any further with the negotiations/counterpoints that are coming out

I feel like we say that every week only for the Brexiters to consistently discover all new depths of stupidity, bigotry and ignorance.

RangerX

Banned
The best and most sensible option is to go for a Norway style deal until whatever government is in can figure out what it wants. The economic implications here in Ireland are pretty massive.

Top Bottom