• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

As a young person myself I always find it hard to take "young" politics seriously. They're almost always way too radical and/or full of themselves.

Politics is always that kind of game where a lot of the people who actively want to play are exactly those you don't want involved.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
As a young person myself I always find it hard to take "young" politics seriously. They're almost always way too radical and/or full of themselves.

I don’t think you need to explicitly mention “young”, there.

The fuck is wrong with these people. Free movement is in the youth's interests. Which young person does not want opportunities to broaden horizons and gain valuable career experiences by working abroad.

"I would have to learn the language and that's hard, besides they'll always want to hire a British person over an immigrant right?"

I'm not British nor European (live in London as a student) but I would love free movement. They don't know what they have till it's gone.

The fuck is wrong with these people. Free movement is in the youth's interests. Which young person does not want opportunities to broaden horizons and gain valuable career experiences by working abroad.

I guess the presumption is in the mindset of 'Well if we've left the EU anyway', but even then, Jesus. I might be a more orange shade of LD but is the sort of thing I'd keep in mind if I ever flirted with changing formal affiliation.

Still hoping to get out before it all goes to shit though.

tuxfool

Banned
UJXDStt.jpg

Shit's going well. Money just disappeared into thin air.

Plum

Well, if we divert that £350m a week away from the NHS to this we'll we'll be able to get that wealth back in...

...around 23 years!

See, you're not thinking long term enough. Everything's gonna be fine!

Well, if we divert that £350m a week away from the NHS to this we'll we'll be able to get that wealth back in...

...around 23 years!

See, you're not thinking long term enough. Everything's gonna be fine!

We'll even grow our own food!

Also, that's quite surprising for The Telegraph surely? Always struck me as a fairly conservative/pro Brexit paper.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What else can it mean?

"Article 50 has to be invoked now [that we have voted to leave]."

The same way that after my car breaks down, I might say "Ugh, I'll have to walk to work now." It doesn't mean that literally right this split second I'm going to walk to work, it means that as a consequence of what just happened, in the future I will have to walk to work.

Corbyn campaigned for Remain, said he would vote Remain in a second referendum, committed to a manifesto which aimed to remain as close to the European Union as public opinion would allow for, and has been orchestrating secret deals with backbench Conservatives to guard against 'no deal' Brexit. I'm very unclear how you've decided he's the most Brexit-y politician (especially when David Davis exists), or even a Brexiteer at all.

Lagamorph

"Article 50 has to be invoked now [that we have voted to leave]."

The same way that after my car breaks down, I might say "Ugh, I'll have to walk to work now." It doesn't mean that literally right this split second I'm going to walk to work, it means that as a consequence of what just happened, in the future I will have to walk to work.

Corbyn campaigned for Remain, said he would vote Remain in a second referendum, committed to a manifesto which aimed to remain as close to the European Union as public opinion would allow for, and has been orchestrating secret deals with backbench Conservatives to guard against 'no deal' Brexit. I'm very unclear how you've decided he's the most Brexit-y politician (especially when David Davis exists), or even a Brexiteer at all.
I can't imagine where anyone might have got that impression from his 30 years of making a career out of wanting to leave the EU, calling for Article 50 to be invoked or invoking the whip to force his party to push through an unamended Brexit bill.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine where anyone might have got that impression from his 30 years of making a career out of wanting to leave the EU, calling for Article 50 to be invoked or invoking the whip to force his party to push through an unamended Brexit bill.

The first is untrue, and the second and third are just functions of the way politics is now. If Labour had refused to say they would issue Article 50 or had looked like they might block the Brexit bill, we'd be looking at Theresa May having a 100+ seat majority right now given how the electoral math works out. As it is, she doesn't have a majority at all, and the Remainer Conservatives can do behind-the-scenes shenanigans with Labour to water down Brexit, so... looks like Corbyn did pretty well to me.

tuxfool

Banned
Why wouldn't that be on the front page of the entire paper, rather than just in the business supplement? Am I missing something here?

It is not an immediate threat.

Though amusingly the last few paragraphs end with it being concern trolling that this would be bad for the EU.

This would be a traumatic episode for Britain but it would also be dangerous for Europe. In a worst-case scenario, the EU would face WTO tariffs in its biggest market, one where it enjoys a big structural surplus – much of it selling ­expensive brands easily identifiable to British consumers.

North European supply chains would be in mayhem. A broken pound – potentially worth 0.90 euros – would render many EU exports unsellable in the UK. The eurozone would lose ­access to capital market funding and derivatives, which could not be replicated quickly. Such a deflationary shock might push the southern eurozone back into a debt-deflation crisis. City veterans call it ”mutual assured destruction", although it is not clear whether Europe's political class fully understands this.

avaya

Though amusingly the last few paragraphs end with it being concern trolling that this would be bad for the EU.

Who is this City veteran? Leadsom? Lol.

Alternative preparations are already drawn up, so in the case of no deal, EU institutions and corporates get undisturbed access to the fixed income and derivatives markets. The only way this doesn't happen is if people think the banks want to play chicken with a supranational institution. This isn't political for them. This is their business. London only became a hub out of convenience. New York, Switzerland, Paris and Frankfurt will all benefit as a result.

The stupidity of Brexit is never ending.

oilvomer

I had a bit of a light bulb moment last light when reading that May is rushing off to do a 'please help' visit with Merkel

I think the UK will pay the fee for leaving if they can go to parliament with a trade deal, There is not a cat in hells chance she can survive walking into parliament saying she has signed off for £50 billion without any trade deal.... I think she is happy to pay if she can say for that I secured a comprehensive trade deal

Maledict

Who is this City veteran? Leadsom? Lol.

Alternative preparations are already drawn up, so in the case of no deal, EU institutions and corporates get undisturbed access to the fixed income and derivatives markets. The only way this doesn't happen is if people think the banks want to play chicken with a supranational institution. This isn't political for them. This is their business. London only became a hub out of convenience. New York, Switzerland, Paris and Frankfurt will all benefit as a result.

The stupidity of Brexit is never ending.

Um, whilst I’m vehemently against Brexit and consider it one of the most stupid things ever, there is a kernel of truth in that article. London didn’t become the worlds financial hub out of convenience - there are a huge amount of structural reasons why it succeeded and other cities didn’t. You can’t just instantly replicate that, and Europe will be worse off for not having access to the city and the investment and financial tools available there.

Of course, the City will be *far* worse off - both sides suffer, but one side suffers vastly, vastly more than the other.

oilvomer

Is Merkel not still cobbling a coalition together? Surely she has bigger fish to fry.

Well depending on how much value to put in the press stories, apparently Germany and France are the ones who are refusing to budge on discussing a trade deal, I initially did not give it much credence, but Mays sudden visit to the leaders suggest there is some truth there...

Joni

Well depending on how much value to put in the press stories, apparently Germany and France are the ones who are refusing to budge on discussing a trade deal, I initially did not give it much credence, but Mays sudden visit to the leaders suggest there is some truth there...

Or is it another sign of the United Kingdom not understanding the European Union and believing Germany determines everything?

Or is it another sign of the United Kingdom not understanding the European Union and believing Germany determines everything?

The narrative of the EU by the Torries is pretty much "Germany is doing everything and not letting other countries work." Look at the leavers attitude of the EU on the comments of the article (actually don't because it hurts to read these things), they pretty much believe that the EU consists of just Germany doing anything.

It doesn't surprise me that Theresa May thinks only Germany and France matter for the brexit deal.

jelly

The narrative of the EU by the Torries is pretty much "Germany is doing everything and not letting other countries work." Look at the leavers attitude of the EU on the comments of the article (actually don't because it hurts to read these things), they pretty much believe that the EU consists of just Germany doing anything.

It doesn't surprise me that Theresa May thinks only Germany and France matter for the brexit deal.

Yeah, I've heard this thinking quite a lot. They think France and Germany don't follow the rules either and that's why they are so successful compared to the UK, manufacturing in particular. Weirdly their argument is just to let France and Germany take complete control of the EU while the UK has no say so if you're to believe their thinking, the UK is in even more trouble outside the EU handing the reigns to those countries, giving control more like.

Yeah, I've heard this thinking quite a lot. They think France and Germany don't follow the rules either and that's why they are so successful compared to the UK, manufacturing in particular. Weirdly their argument is just to let France and Germany take complete control of the EU while the UK has no say so if you're to believe their thinking, the UK is in even more trouble outside the EU handing the reigns to those countries, giving control more like.

I also love the "rules are not made in the UK, they want to weaken the UK" argument which makes no sense considering:

1.) The UK got the best benefits of the EU (own currency, own immigration)
2.) The EU have no benefits hurting the UK when they were part of the EU.

But hey, "The UK got their country back," so clearly everything will turn out ok.

pswii60

OK, here's an analysis of this article:
https://notayesmanseconomics.wordpr...90-billion-as-claimed-in-the-daily-telegraph/

So it has and it hasn't, and somewhere in between.
I also love the "rules are not made in the UK, they want to weaken the UK" argument which makes no sense considering:

1.) The UK got the best benefits of the EU (own currency, own immigration)
2.) The EU have no benefits hurting the UK when they were part of the EU.

But hey, "The UK got their country back," so clearly everything will turn out ok.
??

Is Merkel not still cobbling a coalition together? Surely she has bigger fish to fry.

Yes, if true it's a stupid move by May (again). I've said this a few months ago: as long as that coalition is not setup, Merkel and Germany won't be able to do anything for May.
Coalition negotiations actually are only gonna start this week, because of the election in Lower Saxony yesterday (basically CDU didn't wanna do anything prior to those elections to not compromise their own state party there; which lost anyway). And it's gonna be very difficult negotations with the Liberals and the Greens.

Mr. Sam

Do you guys remember when Theresa May held a press conference to accuse the EU of trying to undermine her government? It just came back to me like an acid flashback. That was mental.

jelly

Yes, if true it's a stupid move by May (again). I've said this a few months ago: as long as that coalition is not setup, Merkel and Germany won't be able to do anything for May.
Coalition negotiations actually are only gonna start this week, because of the election in Lower Saxony yesterday (basically CDU didn't wanna do anything prior to those elections to not compromise their own state party there; which lost anyway). And it's gonna be very difficult negotations with the Liberals and the Greens.

I honestly don't know what she is doing, this like the Florence trip is completely pointless. Is she just racking up air miles. Juncker isn't going to say anything but pay up and Merkel like you say has other things on her plate and pretty much doesn't care about the UK now anyway. The EU is standing on both legs without a scratch, the UK is the black knight with no legs.

Acorn

How the fuck do you miscalculate by half a trillion pounds, especially before a fucking referendum where our finances was a key topic.

What the fuck, this doesn't amount to a rounding error, it's a large piece of gdp sized fuck up.

Christ on a bike.

theaface

How the fuck do you miscalculate by half a trillion pounds, especially before a fucking referendum where our finances was a key topic.

What the fuck, this doesn't amount to a rounding error, it's a large piece of gdp sized fuck up.

Christ on a bike.

Perhaps Spreadsheet Phil handed it off to an intern...

clippy-300x278.png

"It looks like you're searching for 'magic money tree'. Do you want me to help with that?"

Top Bottom