• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

I hope we get a strong 360 GAF list going. My friends are not interested in this at all (which is odd considering they love other semi-recent FPS, such as Borderlands and Bad Company 2). This game seems like if you have a group coordinating and working together, there could be absolutely epic times to be had. The thought of playing such a heavy team based game like this with pub's makes me have nightmares.

Can't wait!

Raide

TheApatheticOne said:
I hope we get a strong 360 GAF list going. My friends are not interested in this at all (which is odd considering they love other semi-recent FPS, such as Borderlands and Bad Company 2). This game seems like if you have a group coordinating and working together, there could be absolutely epic times to be had. The thought of playing such a heavy team based game like this with pub's makes me have nightmares.

Can't wait!

I am hoping so too. I love team based shooters with objectives. Loved BC2 mainly due to having classes that do things, did not get into MW2, Waw or B-Ops, since it feels like loads of Rambo's running around not doing objectives.

I still want to see how many levels Brink is going have for MP and how their variety varies. Seem to have seen the same shanty town and white building for a while now.

Raide

Billen said:
Very curious regarding this aswell.

There must be a reason they are not showing the PC version. Maybe its more down to advertising for the Console versions to get people on-board, since many of them would not have played W:ET or ET:QW.

Numpt3

TheApatheticOne said:

Can't wait!

I'l definitely be up for some 360 gaf games. I've just realised that the release date coincides with a week I booked off work a while back. Good times.

Nocebo

Preordered on steam this morning for PC, together with a couple of friends. Can't wait for this!
Looks like it's a combination between tribes, tf2, cod and mirrors edge haha.
First class I plan on trying is a light bodied engineer.

Nocebo

Tricky I Shadow said:
Anyone going to go for a heavy body type? I can’t ever see myself as one.
Maybe when going soldier some time.

But first I'm trying engineer light then operative light. Those are the two classes I want to try out most of all. Operative looks pretty difficult to play so I might quickly switch back to engineer (medium body?) or perhaps try medic to learn the maps better first.

Tworak

54-46! said:
The lack of PC footage bothers me, unless there's very positive feedback from the ET community I think I'll skip this one.
yup yup. that's also why I haven't felt the hype too much yet.

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’m thinking of going with a Medic with a medium body type. How about you guys?

Honestly, Im interested in pretty much every type. If we can solidfy a solid group of us, Ill be whatever the 360 GAF group needs me to be.

Sanic

I usually play engineer in these types of games (except TF2, for some reason) so that's what i'll try first. Probably light body type to start.

TheFreshPrince

Does anyone know if the two factions' stories will be greatly varied? Or is it more just a palette swap as you go through the exact same encounters?

Detox

The nature of these get smart videos makes it really difficult to sell the game to a friend. They make the game look really slow and lethargic. Hopefully SD record the tournament at their office or something which will give a much clearer picture of how actual games will play out.

Shnookums

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’m thinking of going with a Medic with a medium body type. How about you guys?

If it's anything like previous Enemy Territory games I'll be switching classes constantly depending on what the team needs at that point.

So I can change out classes at any time but it sounds like I'll need to have a light, medium, and heavy character ranked up independently?

Rad-

Tricky I Shadow said:

Fat engineer sounds good to me. Engineer classes don't usually require that much movability and the heavy body gets some nice weaponry. Turret + minigun? Teehee.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Genesis Knight said:
So I can change out classes at any time but it sounds like I'll need to have a light, medium, and heavy character ranked up independently?

Sounds right.

Going with a medium medic/engineer. Healing allies or repairing turrets and the like are pretty much what I alwasy do in these class based games.

Teknoman

Rad- said:
Fat engineer sounds good to me. Engineer classes don't usually require that much movability and the heavy body gets some nice weaponry. Turret + minigun? Teehee.

Maybe, but a fast engineer can quickly get to broken objects or defuse enemy explosives/put land mines in crazy places.

jtrov

So damn hyped for this game and after hearing it's comparisons to Shadowrun (which I absolutely loved), just makes me wish it was the 10th already. I just can't wait to dive in and look at all the customization options, along with the weapon upgrades and perks. I already joined the 360 GAF tag, so I can't wait to try this game with those of similar interest.

Pete Rock

Pandoracell said:
And, I know it's been said, but some of the animation really is atrocious.
Yeah, and I hate the small gadgets, what is the point of having exaggerated physical character features & guns when the wrench for the engineer looks like an oversized grill lighter and the medic syringe is the size of an ink pen?

Love the bot that mantles a tiny table and set of chairs in the middle of open space during a firefight, only to get shot to death the instant he steps off and towards the player.

Pete Rock said:
Love the bot that mantles a tiny table and set of chairs in the middle of open space during a firefight, only to get shot to death the instant he steps off and towards the player.

Meh it's a game, I can look over stuff like that. I have a gut feeling that Brink will get widespread review scores of around 80, with major points taken off for animation quality.

I feel like I haven't played a good modern shooter in aaaaaaaaagggggggeeeesssss. I hope BRINK delivers because what else is there to push technology, RAGE?

desu said:
Yeah they look really meh.

I agree. Then again WolfET had really shitty animations as well and it never bothered me; granted it's almost a decade later... :lol

@scorpscar if we're talking about pushing technology I'd say BF3 and Crysis2 get that nod more than Brink. (id Tech 4 and all, nothing revolutionary.) I'm definitely not expecting a technologically bleeding edge game from Brink; I'm expecting a solid engine with good art assets.

Sanic

Genesis Knight said:
I agree. Then again WolfET had really shitty animations as well and it never bothered me; granted it's almost a decade later... :lol

Yes, that would be the main issue, standards are just a bit higher now :p

i really love the voice over on those smart videos. btw the sound effects are awesome! really have a great feeling about this game

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Maybe I'm not seeing it, but what's the problem with the animations? Like, which animations? I honestly haven't seen anything that strikes me as terrible since all FPS online have lackluster animations to my eyes.

Raide

Kintaro said:
Maybe I'm not seeing it, but what's the problem with the animations? Like, which animations? I honestly haven't seen anything that strikes me as terrible since all FPS online have lackluster animations to my eyes.

Possibly the stuff where players get knocked down by other players. It looks a little off but not enough for me to worry about it.

I am also unsure about the weapon sway while moving. Looks really off-putting.

Interfectum

I'm sure I'm late on the rage but... Best Buy gets fucking Fallout pre-order shit and Amazon gets, a "psycho pack"? lol wtf

ameratsu

Watched the smart series videos in the OP; this game looks very promising. Hoping the PC version attracts a solid community, but waiting to hear a bit more before I buy it.

Tricky I Shadow said:

I imagine I will try it. A heavy soldier with a chain gun should be very dangerous.
In QW, I loved playing an aggressor (strogg soldier) with a hyperblaster (laser chain gun)

It was a brutally effective combination. If you were staged properly, like up in the walkways above the first objective in Area-22, or down in the tunnel connecting the two grates on the Sewer map, you could wreak havok, holding off hordes of enemy waves.

Most likely I will have one profile for each body type and try several different combos. A heavy medic or operative doesn't sound good, but there might be a place where they're useful, as well as light soldiers and engineers.

I know Brink isn't supposed to be emphasizing K/D ratio, but it would be nice if it still hands out individual awards after each map like ET and QW. best medic, best light weapons, best battle sense etc.

MonkeyKnuckle said:

Meh kind of disappointed the operative class seems to automatically lose the disguise, even if they get the drop on someone. In ET, if you got a successful backstab kill without anyone but the victim seeing it happen, you kept your disguise.

I wonder if operatives have smoke bombs ? I haven't seen any smoke in this game. If not, it seems like a big oversight, since coverts had smoke in both ET and QW.

I don't think they have drones either. That was one of coolest abilities in QW.

soultron

Banned
Most likely will be running:

Light Medic/Engineer

GT: soultron

See you dudes in a few days!

EDIT: As for the animations, I'm sure people will pick on them. But that's a downfall to having a really neat system like SMART in place. I find SMART to be very technically impressive, so I can forgive a few jarring animations here and there.

Top Bottom