• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

steadfast

Very common now, even for big releases. NOT an indicator of a shit game.

MK and Portal 2 both had release-date embargoes.

Kholdstare

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’m thinking of going with a Medic with a medium body type. How about you guys?

Light body for all my characters switching between whatever our team needs the most in a situation. Not saying that I'll always be looking out for this, but I would hate it if our team did not properly represent all 4 classes all the time. If I have a choice then I'll probably run with a light soldier or operative.

I wanna use the soldier because those Molotov cocktails are super useful and because players seemed to run out of ammo pretty fast (myself included). I don't want situations where I have to avoid a fight because I'm low on my primary ammo.

Operative will be my second choice only because fucking with the frontline of a fight is always fun. If only to make them nervous and question who is on their team.

Jinaar

mjc said:
So how does this resemble Shadowrun? My interest is peeked....

I'm guessing it resembles Shadowrun due to the wide variety of VERBS it uses. Day one! Rest in peace, Mitch.

I should pre-order this.

MMaRsu

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Turd confirmed?
I want to dive in but I need to see a match unedited to see if it will strike my fancy

This means nothing, embargo's getting lifted on release day that is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Available: May 9th, 2011
This game will unlock in approximately 5 days and 7 hours

Looks like Steam's doing a midnight. That's pretty cool since they usually unlock around noon. Now we wait for preloads

Square Triangle said:
When the embargo is so late generally that means it's goin to suck right?
Brotherhood was embargo'd until release, and we all know how terrible that was

zoner said:
Available: May 9th, 2011
This game will unlock in approximately 5 days and 7 hours

Looks like Steam's doing a midnight. That's pretty cool since they usually unlock around noon. Now we wait for preloads

Brotherhood was embargo'd until release, and we all know how terrible that was
Not sure where youre going with this because I personally thought ACBH is a $19.99 game.

Kholdstare

mjc said:

The simplest way possible to describe it is as a team focused multiplayer shooter with unique ways to move around and interact with the world.

The smart system reminds me of teleport in Shadowrun. Extensive knowledge of how to properly use it will be key in how well you do in the game.

The art style is also kinda similar.

Kholdstare said:
The simplest way possible to describe it is as a team focused multiplayer shooter with unique ways to move around and interact with the world.

The smart system reminds me of teleport in Shadowrun. Extensive knowledge of how to properly use it will be key in how well you do in the game.

The art style is also kinda similar.
the people who were good at teleporting in SR were mindblowing. I could barely follow it.

Kholdstare

Square Triangle said:
When the embargo is so late generally that means it's goin to suck right?

I think a good amount of games now are doing this. Isn't this par for the course now for AAA games?

Wessiej

Played it for a few hours today and it was great! Loved the idea of the game, but man the 360 hard a hard time playing this son of a bitch. Around every corner it took 4/5 seconds to load textures and there were a lot of framedrops.

I wonder if you can strafe jump in this
mpgBk.gif

I'm seriously overhyping myself here

I have had my eye on the artwork and few gameplay videos here and there but other then that I really don't know what this game is all about, it looks fun and I am dying for a NEW shooter that is not COD! perhaps I should check this out.

Sanic

Wessiej said:
Played it for a few hours today and it was great! Loved the idea of the game, but man the 360 hard a hard time playing this son of a bitch. Around every corner it took 4/5 seconds to load textures and there were a lot of framedrops.
C'mon, you've gotta give us more detailed impressions that THAT! ;)

Palmer_v1

mjc said:

For me, it's the relative uniqueness of each player based on the body type, class, and specific loadout.

Light Operative with stealth - Teleporting Elf
Heavy Engineer with a minigun - Troll w/ Minigun
etc.

It's also the reliance on teammates to a degree. Like calling for one of those life trees in Shadowrun when you were low, or praying that dwarf resser will get to you before they clear your body.

Wessiej

Pandoracell said:
C'mon, you've gotta give us more detailed impressions that THAT! ;)
Hehe, okay.

It's different from other fps, and that was one of the reasons why I loved it. The mission based structure really works in this game, although it takes to long for some shit to happen. Protect 1 dude for 18 minutes is boring. Just standing next to him, shooting enemies. Like I said, the graphics were 'ok' and the framedrate dropped, but the game is so much fun. Climbing on top of everything, building a MG-nest, quickly change to become a medic, heal some dudes, slide under everything, shoot all the baddies and crack open a safe.

But again, it takes way to long to do objectives. In 1 mission I need to open a safe...it took me 1,5 minutes. You cant do anything in between and your teammates will probably be stupid so you will die. and die. and die.

But the game is just plain fun, and I want to play it again, and that is what I'm going to do tomorrow.

Palmer_v1

Raide said:
I wonder what the chances are at getting some W:ET or ET:QW Throwback maps for Brink?

I doubt it's reasonable. There would have to be fairly drastic changes to make the SMART worthwhile.

Tokubetsu

Square Triangle said:
Not sure where youre going with this because I personally thought ACBH is a $19.99 game.

This is a terrible opinion. The combat alone is superior to previous AC games.

MMaRsu

Wessiej said:

FML. No buy confirmed :(

Reikon

TouchMyBox said:
For all intensive purposes, the character art style looks similar.

Intents and purposes.

And the people who thinks this resembles Shadowrun just haven't played W:ET or ET:QW. It basically seems like a refined version of those to me.

W:ET was probably my favorite multiplayer game only. Stopwatch, FF on, limited lives. One of the least popular server configs for a public server but man was it fun if you found the right group of regulars. Sadly I haven't seen any mention of limited lives being a server option in Brink.

Reikon said:
And the people who thinks this resembles Shadowrun just haven't played W:ET or ET:QW. It basically seems like a refined version of those to me.

This! It's like one guy drew a connection and all the SR guys have just continued that theme out of sheer hope. I played SR for only a few months so I'm not an expert but I don't see that many similarities.

Kholdstare

Genesis Knight said:
This! It's like one guy drew a connection and all the SR guys have just continued that theme out of sheer hope. I played SR for only a few months so I'm not an expert but I don't see that many similarities.

I made the connection all on my own when I first saw this game back in 2009 at PAX.

It's fine if it reminds you guys of either of those games, but I definitely got a Shadowrun vibe from this game the moment I saw it.

Wessiej said:

Fuck.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
id tech 4 has always run like shit on consoles, so it's not surprising.

PC version should run awesome though.

Wessiej said:

Turd confirmed

Wessiej said:
Hehe, okay.

It's different from other fps, and that was one of the reasons why I loved it. The mission based structure really works in this game, although it takes to long for some shit to happen. Protect 1 dude for 18 minutes is boring. Just standing next to him, shooting enemies. Like I said, the graphics were 'ok' and the framedrate dropped, but the game is so much fun. Climbing on top of everything, building a MG-nest, quickly change to become a medic, heal some dudes, slide under everything, shoot all the baddies and crack open a safe.

But again, it takes way to long to do objectives. In 1 mission I need to open a safe...it took me 1,5 minutes. You cant do anything in between and your teammates will probably be stupid so you will die. and die. and die.

But the game is just plain fun, and I want to play it again, and that is what I'm going to do tomorrow.

Did you have it installed to your HD?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Wessiej said:

Assuming this is true, it's downright unacceptable. They shove the console version down our throats (what appears to be console at least) in every video they show off, and then they give us this shit?

Why even bother developing a console version if you can't get it to run properly?

Tomat said:
Assuming this is true, it's downright unacceptable. They shove the console version down our throats (what appears to be console at least) in every video they show off, and then they give us this shit?

Why even bother developing a console version if you can't get it to run properly?

Push the review embargo to release date > get a great marketing campaign > laugh at the fans complaining on the internet while you count all that money. Mission accomplished!

Genesis Knight said:
Like people hated Quake Wars because it wasn't Battlefield, people will hate Brink because it's not Shadowrun! SD just can't catch a break.

Tomat said:

Honestly, I was wondering why they're showing the console version in the vids. Every single one has a lot of texture loading, particularly on the weapons.

Shnookums

Mr. Snrub said:
Honestly, I was wondering why they're showing the console version in the vids. Every single one has a lot of texture loading, particularly on the weapons.

In the get smart videos? I didn't notice that.

I been telling you guys about tech 4 man...the only reason I am apprehensive about this game. Horrible engine. They should have just delayed it for tech 5. =(

Shnookums

Still not seeing any texture pop-in in the videos. I do see depth of field blur when aiming down the sight, but I couldn't find any pop-in.

abundant said:
There's going to be a day one patch for the 360 version.

This shit has got me so many times, disprove all of the negative pre-release reactions with a magical patch. I'd suggest waiting

Top Bottom