• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Should I go PC or 360 for this one? Probably built for 360 I'm guessing? If the only difference is AA and framerate, I may just go for 360 because I like the online capabilities of live better.

Do you have friends you play with on 360? Can't imagine the console port being better if you have the PC option; 360 wasn't the lead platform was it?

(I'm getting 360 version; my laptop sucks.)

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Should I go PC or 360 for this one? Probably built for 360 I'm guessing? If the only difference is AA and framerate, I may just go for 360 because I like the online capabilities of live better.
It's a shooter, i.e. built for PC! And you like p2p over dedicated servers?

Don't be a fool if you don't have to.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
PC version will have dedicated servers and some minor gameplay differences (more recoil on guns for example). It should also receive patches before the consoles and if there is an SDK, mod support will be another bonus for PC. Of course the increases in framerate and resolution. No "official" controller support though for the PC version, which is extremely disappointing to me and almost a reason to change my pre-order to 360.

360 has the advantage of xbox live, so if you have a lot of friends on live, that is the way to go. Also, controller support obviously, which is something I really wish the PC version "officially" supported.

I am getting the PC version and if it is as good of a game as I expect, I will get it on 360 and convince my friends to do the same.

TheExodu5

Banned
zlatko said:
By the way Steve told me that they hired the guy from de_dust2 and to be honest, you can really feel it! The maps are 100% designed for multiplayer.

Shit. This is the one statement that might make me want to pick this up. No online FPS has come even close to matching CS in terms of map design.

steadfast

Adam Sessler was on the local morning radio show yesterday and he was talking Brink up a little bit. Was nice to hear something other than Call of Duty and Halo getting more mass-media coverage.

Danne-Danger said:
It's a shooter, i.e. built for PC! And you like p2p over dedicated servers?

Don't be a fool if you don't have to.

I'm a gaming fool and I like it! I just got a new pc and have been playing shooters with a controller for years. With the heavy focus on movement in this game, I think the controller might still be the way to go for me, even if aiming is a little more difficult. But since i'm getting the 360 controller for the PC in the mail quite soon, no problem either way!

Of course I choose a dedicated server, but they are often set up so they just keep going without any end to the game (maybe thats just some games like counterstrike); live is much more about formal games that can't be fucked with; a bunch of people are put in a game, you play the game, its over. I like that, don't have to go and search around for a game that might be modded and such (again its been a long time since ive played multiplayer online so I don't know if its even like this anymore at all).

AllIsOneIsNone said:
I'm a gaming fool and I like it! I just got a new pc and have been playing shooters with a controller for years. With the heavy focus on movement in this game, I think the controller might still be the way to go for me, even if aiming is a little more difficult. But since i'm getting the 360 controller for the PC in the mail quite soon, no problem either way!
Well, they don't have official 360-pad support built in but you should be able to bind everything in-game just fine. Though I'd say the heavy focus on movement makes it a huge disadvantage to use a pad, tracking and manually jumping/crouching (since that's faster than SMART) will be a nightmare, playing with a pad for years is fine and all, but have you been playing against people using M/KB? But hey, if you enjoy a challenge then go for it! May god be with you.

Stat-tracking servers are likely to have an "official"-setting requirement (as in Quake Wars), so there'll be plenty of standard games around. Besides, you'll have plenty of filtering options, you can get the games you want I'm sure.

Oh and this dust_2 guy, I'm pretty sure he's worked there for quite a while now, maybe even worked on Quake Wars (which also happened to have some of the best maps ever! no joke).

Danne-Danger said:
Well, they don't have official 360-pad support built in but you should be able to bind everything in-game just fine. Though I'd say the heavy focus on movement makes it a huge disadvantage to use a pad, tracking and manually jumping/crouching (since that's faster than SMART) will be a nightmare, playing with a pad for years is fine and all, but have you been playing against people using M/KB? But hey, if you enjoy a challenge then go for it! May god be with you.

Most shooters out there have keyboard/mouse advantage, but I heard that the armor abilities associated with Crysis 2 made the controller almost necessary on PC, and playing it on 360 I could totally understand that. I honestly wish there was a mix between the two; a joystick for movement instead of WASD, wrist movement for aim like a mouse, and triggers/buttons that are accessible more like a controller. So basically a controller pad with better aiming.

Danne-Danger said:
Stat-tracking servers are likely to have an "official"-setting requirement (as in Quake Wars), so there'll be plenty of standard games around. Besides, you'll have plenty of filtering options, you can get the games you want I'm sure.

Its good to know that PC games are doing this now.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Crikey, what am I going to do if this is released and PSN is fucked? I need to buy a 360.

Makoto

steadfast said:
Players won't be able to see enemy mines until they step on it? I know Splash Damage really wants to push teamwork at the forefront of Brink, but...that seems too reliant on Operatives to actually reveal mines for their team.

Metal-Geo

vidal said:
Players won't be able to see enemy mines until they step on it? I know Splash Damage really wants to push teamwork at the forefront of Brink, but...that seems too reliant on Operatives to actually reveal mines for their team.
From what I gather: you can still see them, if you pay attention. But a specific class can mark them, to make them much more noticable.

steadfast

Operatives can see and mark enemy mines which then show up for engineers to disarm. They show it in the Get SMART: Classes video.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Most shooters out there have keyboard/mouse advantage, but I heard that the armor abilities associated with Crysis 2 made the controller almost necessary on PC, and playing it on 360 I could totally understand that. I honestly wish there was a mix between the two; a joystick for movement instead of WASD, wrist movement for aim like a mouse, and triggers/buttons that are accessible more like a controller. So basically a controller pad with better aiming.
From who and why? It's perfectly fine, in fact it was perfectly fine in Crysis 1 which had even more armour abilities, so yeah. Didn't you have to use a selection wheel with a pad? That's kinda crappy. And WASD is IMO better for movement, faster at least, and more precise. Sticks are good if you don't want to press a button to walk, which is nice, I guess, unless you need precision (eg. sneaking in CS), in which case it's crap.

But hey, that's why I play shooters on PC.

Metal-Geo said:
From what I gather: you can still see them, if you pay attention. But a specific class can mark them, to make them much more noticable.
The video says mines planted by enemy engineers are not visible. Only until they are either marked by a friendly operative or when you actually step on one.

I was going to start with a medic and I still might, but the engineer is looking great as well. The idea of placing invisible mines everywhere when people are going to be moving like crazy and most likely not looking for mines, is just too awesome. Thinking a light bodied medic for offense and a medium or heavy build engineer for defense.

Klocker

steadfast said:
Operatives can see and mark enemy mines which then show up for engineers to disarm. They show it in the Get SMART: Classes video.

yea it says spotted mines can be destroyed or disarrmed and even disarmed while another player has stepped on it and not yet stepped off (prior to detonation)

this really is a team based game... I can not wait

Nocebo

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Of course I choose a dedicated server, but they are often set up so they just keep going without any end to the game (maybe thats just some games like counterstrike)
Wow this is absolutely not true. Pretty much every server for games like CS, TF2, etc. is a dedicated server. Some people may run a <map_name> 24/7 server but there will always be plenty of vanilla options to choose from.

Klocker said:
this really is a team based game... I can not wait

I love team based games, I definitely prefer them. I just hope we have some active 360 GAFers picking this game up. Nothing ruins my time like playing BC2 or BLOPS with pubs, playing a team objective game, and realize that Im the only one on my team actually playing to achieve the objective.

zlatko

Banned
This game looks like it's really aiming for the esport community, which is fucking AWESOME! I'd love to start seeing MLGs and ESL stream Brink if it becomes that good on the competitive level, which excites me even more as a player, because the multiplayer games I gravitate towards the most month after month are those games.

Here's hoping it's that level of amazing.

zlatko

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Check out the pop in, bottom left corner of the screen at the 3:20 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72u7WmbVzrw

I love the music in these trailers a lot. Whoever is doing the audio for this game seems like they know how to make a perfect atmosphere for the Ark.

The hype....

110_Man_with_severe_chest_pain.jpg

steadfast

Geoff9920 said:
I love the small details they point out like the fact that a mine will not explode until you step off of it. :)

Yeah, that's pretty brilliant. Even more awesome would be if the engi's objectives got updated to rescue a stuck teammate the way medics get updated for downed folks.

derFeef

Genesis Knight said:
Eh, people were talking about it earlier and here's another example. I've had it preordered since January, so calm down. ;)
I know I know, but there was a 360 day0 patch mentioned which should fix stuff like that. Assuming this videos are recorded from the 360 version. And even if not, that looked very minimal to me and I bet you do not notice it when you are constantly looking out for enemies.

Dina

I assume that when operatives iron-sight the mine, it becomes visible for everyone and not just engineers who can disable them?

In any case, Operatives can just shoot down mines, so I guess disabling mines with the Engineer isn't that important.

derFeef

Dina said:
I assume that when operatives iron-sight the mine, it becomes visible for everyone and not just engineers who can disable them?

In any case, Operatives can just shoot down mines, so I guess disabling mines with the Engineer isn't that important.
But engie gets no points :(

Dina said:

Unless you want to save a teammate who's triggered one...

Gravitom

vidal said:

It worked just fine in Enemy Territory. I felt mines were way too easy to see and avoid in Quake Wars.

And I guess, being a stealthy Operative, blowing up mines left right and centre isn't the most judicous use of your time, especially when shooting gets rid of your disguise.

Dina said:

Depends. An operative who is in disguise and behind enemy lines, might not want to give his position away by destroying mines. He can just mark them for the team so they know what to expect when entering into that area. Any little thing like that to add to teamwork is a bonus and can really help when everyone is coordinating with each other.

Teknoman

Wait, whats this about a demo?

Danne-Danger said:
They've said that some people on the team never use iron sights. There's pros and cons to both and you can tweak your character/gun to suit your playstyle. QW had iron sights too but if you used them in close quarters you'd be punished for it, and at long range you could still hit people from the hip (though iron sights would be more accurate). It'll be hip-shooting-friendly I'm sure!

That sounds great!

derFeef said:
But engie gets no points :(
Shooting the mine seems to give you points, it'll aid the engie on the other team as well! Engie love.

Anyway I wonder if mines are even one-hit kills, but I'm really tired, maybe they've addressed that somewhere. Figure they'd be pretty harmless if they weren't.

Danne-Danger said:
Anyway I wonder if mines are even one-hit kills, but I'm really tired, maybe they've addressed that somewhere. Figure they'd be pretty harmless if they weren't.

In the vid at least he seemed to have full health and keeled over after a single mine. Wonder if buffs can give a heavy the ability to shoulder through it and keep going.

Dina

XeroSauce said:
I hope so. Would balance out all the manliness of RELOADING and reviving.

Because the game has no female models (for shame!), they added her voice. But I don't think she's the announcer though.

Wow. this is up to 16 pages already? I thought the hype on Gaf for Brink was pretty low. Hoping to see some good reviews next week.

Net_Wrecker said:
Wow. this is up to 16 pages already? I thought the hype on Gaf for Brink was pretty low. Hoping to see some good reviews next week.

I was hoping for some leaked scores this weekend; guess we'll see.

Also it's only 8 pages if you know what I'm saying...

Top Bottom