• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Makoto

Darkshier said:
PC version will have dedicated servers and some minor gameplay differences (more recoil on guns for example).
Could you provide a source as to where more recoil on PC was confirmed?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
steadfast said:
Agreed. BC2 has some of the worst animations in the last 5 years, but damned if that game wasn't great. You won't notice it when you're playing.

Bad Company 2 did?

I put so much time into that game, and in all seriousness, I never noticed.

desu

Eh animations in Brink look horribad, I dont see how you would compare it to BC2. Imho different league...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mines not detonating until you step off, the easy way to see the amount of each class on your team, and the fact you can specifically wait for a medic when you're down and have them show above their head if they take the rescue operation are some of the things that really make me like what I'm seeing about the game. Really intelligent design.

Papercuts said:
Mines not detonating until you step off, the easy way to see the amount of each class on your team, and the fact you can specifically wait for a medic when you're down and have them show above their head if they take the rescue operation are some of the things that really make me like what I'm seeing about the game. Really intelligent design.

Congratulations, you are the first person to generate some genuine hype for the game for me.

The mine -> grenade combo, I can see it now.
Oh the dilemma for the victim.

Papercuts said:
Yeah, there seem to be a lot of thoughtful little touches. I'm on the fence though til I know about the console netcode and what the various types of challenges are.

The videos aren't helping all that much because they all seem to be mostly the same video, ie. Here are the classes. I get it, its class based. The only video you really need is "the basics".

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SneakyStephan said:
Congratulations, you are the first person to generate some genuine hype for the game for me.

The mine -> grenade combo, I can see it now.
Oh the dilemma for the victim.

I almost think it'd be better to have everyone avoid that person, if they wait for an engineer to disarm the mine then that's taking 2 people out of the show for a decent bit of time.

vidal said:
From a thread on the Splash Damage forums.
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24051&page=5

... and I notice all the guns have no recoil !!! That's something that is terribly bad, especially on PC. I hope this is only for consoles and PC players will get to play with guns that actually have some sort of recoil.

PC works differently.

We're tuning some things differently to cater to M+KB vs controller, as they're of course quite different. As I mentioned in another thread though, we can't be specific until it's 100% done.

Maybe not more recoil, but certainly different on PC, which I am assuming means more recoil.

vidal said:
The lead designer said it on the official SD forums, I posted it in the old thread. Though he didn't go into any specifics, just that the recoil "works differently" on PC.

Danne-Danger said:
Good news for you (and bad news for Joseph Merrick) is that you're forced to tie your key to Steam in order to play it, it's a Steamworks title. You can buy it anywhere.

I have it pre-ordered from D2D and we'll get our keys sometime near launch, after that you just add it to Steam and you're set to go.

That's billiant :D

Does anyone know of the current D2D coupon code? I've tried BUNNY and ROYALFLUSH and both of those didn't work :(

The coupon codes are actually referral codes that get you 15% off and the guy whose link you used a 20% coupon at some point in the future.

Granted the end result is still 38$ for you, but yeah, just FYI.

Kholdstare

Papercuts said:

Oh man that is cool. I cannot wait to see how that turns out in real games.

Wessiej said:
But again, it takes way to long to do objectives. In 1 mission I need to open a safe...it took me 1,5 minutes. You cant do anything in between and your teammates will probably be stupid so you will die. and die. and die.

But the game is just plain fun, and I want to play it again, and that is what I'm going to do tomorrow.

If it's like ET and QW, some objectives take a long time, or seem impossible, if your team isn't backing you up and playing the objectives.

QW had a map called slipgate. It was probably the only drastically unbalanced map in the game. The first objective the GDF had to repair a slipgate. If the Strogg team had their act together, it was a very hard goal to accomplish. Being an engineer and spending dozens of lives to repair it, while the rest of the team fucks off was frustrating.

From the videos I've seen of Brink, they seem to really coach players into playing the objectives. Usually these type of games do attract teams players, even on pubs. It should turn out ok. Usually the levels in a SD game are like a tug of war match. But certain objectives are "checkpoints" meaning once they're accomplished the defending teams can't go back, the battle just moves forward.

jaundicejuice said:
Is there friendly fire in Brink? That could make spy checking interesting. Also do your teammates see you for who you are or do you appear as an enemy to them?

So to answer my own question it seems as though friendly fire is present in the game, but it's an option and ff only does half-damage. Team killing has a voting system where you vote a complaint against the teammate who killed you, get enough complaints for tk'ing and you're simply booted.

All of this is sort of moot since friendly Operatives, apparently, can also point out disguised enemy Operatives, like they can enemy landmines. Still there's bound to be a few moments where you will have to shoot to check.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Should I go PC or 360 for this one? Probably built for 360 I'm guessing? If the only difference is AA and framerate, I may just go for 360 because I like the online capabilities of live better.

PC all the way.

Amazon's telling me right now this won't get delivered until the 17th. This makes me sad. But I've gotten games earlier than expected with Amazon so hopefully they come through for me this time. I'm so hyped for this.

TheExodu5 said:
Shit. This is the one statement that might make me want to pick this up. No online FPS has come even close to matching CS in terms of map design.

It's funny to read about that again. I remember when QW came out, they mentioned hiring the guy who created the dust map from CS. At the time I think he was supposed to start working on some expansion maps for QW, but I guess that didn't happen because it wasn't profitable enough so they just used him to help create maps for Brink. SD games always have had ingenious map design. It's pretty crucial to what makes their games so fun to play.

Around a year after release, ET started getting custom maps. The first ones weren't that special but eventually some really amazing fan maps came out. One was based on Indiana Jones, complete with theme music. Another really neat one was V2 Rocket Factory. QW never got any custom maps. It would be very cool if Brink gets popular, to see custom maps made with the editor, but with the SMART system and everything, they're probably much harder to do than in the ET days, a game based of the Quake 3 engine. Maybe we'll get a SD produced map pack down the line. :D

Gravitom said:
It worked just fine in Enemy Territory. I felt mines were way too easy to see and avoid in Quake Wars.

I liked how they were invisible in ET. But they were still very useful in QW to mine objectives. Even if the mines are spotted, it takes time to toss a 'nade or whatever to clear them. Plus you could always plant them in good spots like on a wall near a passageway and catch people as they ran by. I like how you could make trip wires with them too. I just hope SD didn't "dumb down" their signature gameplay style too much due to the lukewarm sales of QW. The game got pretty good reviews, an 8 from Edge for example, but I could see how it could have been a little overwhelming for new players that hadn't started with Wolf ET. It seems like they are making an effort to "guide" the player better in Brink.

Papercuts said:
Mines not detonating until you step off,

It's been a while, but wasn't ET like that ? You stepped on a mine, and would hear like a hiss noise, and the mine became visible. You could get an engineer to diffuse it, but if you just ran through a mine field you were toast.

Death Dealer said:
QW had a map called slipgate. It was probably the only drastically unbalanced map in the game. The first objective the GDF had to repair a slipgate. If the Strogg team had their act together, it was a very hard goal to accomplish. Being an engineer and spending dozens of lives to repair it, while the rest of the team fucks off was frustrating.
Once people started getting good at the game that wasn't a problem though, it is a hacking mission so any defences gets disabled/sniped quick and easy, people just have a tendency to run through the bottleneck in town instead of using the high ground. Worst map is Quarry, by far, people still don't know that you need to defend energy cell drop point and just camp the crash site while being violated in every sense of the word.
QW never got any custom maps.
It did, though the "official server" crap made sure that they never made it into the rotation on popular servers, you had to (still have to!) play unranked so the stat padders couldn't enjoy themselves. And if you go outside of official servers chances are that the server will be running promod as well. Makes me wonder how they'll handle custom maps in this one with permanent XP and all.

Zeliard

Every time I see someone using the acronym QW to refer to Quake Wars, rather than say Quakeworld, I die a little more inside.

Tokubetsu

Zeliard said:
Every time I see someone using the acronym QW to refer to Quake Wars, rather than say Quakeworld, I die a little more inside.

You and the last 50 people in the world who still care about Quakeworld.

Zeliard

Tokubetsu said:
You and the last 50 people in the world who still care about Quakeworld.

That's the problem. Leave the vehicles to Battlefield, or else you end up with something like Quake Wars. Wolfenstein: ET was so much better.

Zeliard said:
That's the problem. Leave the vehicles to Battlefield, or else you end up with something like Quake Wars. Wolfenstein: ET was so much better.

Agreed. The most enjoyable moments of Quake Wars, while few in number, were when the objectives headed indoors and vehicles had to be abandoned.

But then the awkward movement, dodgy hit registry and a multitude of other issues were still a factor, vehicles or no.

Makoto

Teknoman said:
Well im in. Snagged it on D2D, would be nice if Steam would let us preload.
Oh, don't you worry. Steam will let the people who bought Brink from Steam pre-load. If Splash Damage/Direct2Drive are anything like Kaos/Direct2Drive during Homefront's release, then us Direct2Drive peasants will receive our keys at around 10AM PST on the day of release without pre-load.

Teknoman

vidal said:
Oh, don't you worry. Steam will let the people who bought Brink from Steam pre-load. If Splash Damage/Direct2Drive are anything like Kaos/Direct2Drive during Homefront's release, then us Direct2Drive peasants will receive our keys at around 10AM PST on the day of release without pre-load.

<_>

Danne-Danger said:
Once people started getting good at the game that wasn't a problem though, it is a hacking mission so any defences gets disabled/sniped quick and easy, people just have a tendency to run through the bottleneck in town instead of using the high ground. Worst map is Quarry, by far, people still don't know that you need to defend energy cell drop point and just camp the crash site while being violated in every sense of the word.

Oh you're right it's been a long time. I remember being the only covert on my team attempting to hack the thing. I really saved the team many times. Like getting halfway hacked, dying, respawning and grabbing the Anansi to fly back in a hurry, bail out, and hack it again so it wouldn't reset.

Yeah I forgot about Quarry. I liked that map although most didn't. It took a dedicated GDF team to defend it. Hard to keep everyone coordinated and maintain a defense at each of the 3 energy cells. One thing I liked about it was the epic dogfighting between the tormentors and anansi.

spootime

When I see most shooters for pc these days they dont seem to have the same feel to them as older shooters. In counter strike (obviously I am very biased) and quake live, etc, when you shoot someone it feels much more solid and less janky then when you shoot someone in a modern shooter. Games like quake wars and bf bad company 2 and possibly brink seem to have lackluster feedback when you kill someone. Often times you will lag and it doesnt even feel as if you are actually taking down an enemy. To try and illustrate what I'm saying, in CS you have a very solid feeling of when you kill someone; the hud flashes, money turns green, the body flies back, and blood spurts out. Now you get a x between the crosshair which is often delayed by lag and a ragdoll effect. Also the iron sights/gun model dominate the screen which which restricts your vision and doesnt let you see the kill. I dont see many quick/good snap shots in cod montages and stuff like that because when you zoom in on the gun it slows the aim down and its hard to take down more than one person coming at you at once. Finally, and this is something that does seem prevalent in Brink, is that the recoil seems nonexistent, very similarly to CoD. I know it was mentioned that the developers are going to try and add recoil to the PC version which I think is absolutely great, but I cant think of a game that utilizes aim-down-sight shooting that has a weighty, hard-to-control recoil pattern in any of the guns. Often, all the guns are indistinguishable death lasers that only differ in skin and clip size. The SMART system in this game seems fantastic and I think it will be a lot of fun but it seems to me that taking away aim down sight and making it a twitchier shooter would make it a lot more fun.

Sorry for the huge rant that is barely related to the game.

spootime said:
When I see most shooters for pc these days they dont seem to have the same feel to them as older shooters. In counter strike (obviously I am very biased) and quake live, etc, when you shoot someone it feels much more solid and less janky then when you shoot someone in a modern shooter. Games like quake wars and bf bad company 2 and possibly brink seem to have lackluster feedback when you kill someone. Often times you will lag and it doesnt even feel as if you are actually taking down an enemy. To try and illustrate what I'm saying, in CS you have a very solid feeling of when you kill someone; the hud flashes, money turns green, the body flies back, and blood spurts out. Now you get a x between the crosshair which is often delayed by lag and a ragdoll effect. Also the iron sights/gun model dominate the screen which which restricts your vision and doesnt let you see the kill. I dont see many quick/good snap shots in cod montages and stuff like that because when you zoom in on the gun it slows the aim down and its hard to take down more than one person coming at you at once. Finally, and this is something that does seem prevalent in Brink, is that the recoil seems nonexistent, very similarly to CoD. I know it was mentioned that the developers are going to try and add recoil to the PC version which I think is absolutely great, but I cant think of a game that utilizes aim-down-sight shooting that has a weighty, hard-to-control recoil pattern in any of the guns. Often, all the guns are indistinguishable death lasers that only differ in skin and clip size. The SMART system in this game seems fantastic and I think it will be a lot of fun but it seems to me that taking away aim down sight and making it a twitchier shooter would make it a lot more fun.

Yeah I agree with this.

spootime said:

Exactly.
Feedback is what makes a game intuitive, hit sounds from quake,incredible headshot animations (amazing for feedback)and sounds in the original CS.

Hearing that the map maker of de_dust is working on the game gives me hope, as he can hopefully teach them a thing or two about what makes a map interesting, how to properly create choke points and flanking paths and make interesting line of sight.

Please god let there also be footsteps and a walk button.
And please god let them not just be throwing us a pacifier when they claim that recoil will be different in the pc version.
Recoil and spread mechanics and range affecting damage of lower calibre guns etc make cs still the best shooter experience out there.

All the terrible knockoffs like SOF II and cod were rubbish in comparison, their devs really did not get what makes a good shooter, but for some reason they are what modern shooters are based on.

RTCW was also one of my favorite games so this also gives me a bit of hope.

Exactly, I am STILL waiting for something that feels as great as CS did in it's prime, it was all about skill with the weapon.

Here's hoping with Brink.

spootime said:
I know it was mentioned that the developers are going to try and add recoil to the PC version which I think is absolutely great, but I cant think of a game that utilizes aim-down-sight shooting that has a weighty, hard-to-control recoil pattern in any of the guns. Often, all the guns are indistinguishable death lasers that only differ in skin and clip size.

Killzone 2

<3

spootime

I'm glad to hear that the creator of dust is working on brink. Maps in new shooters can be very shitty and good maps are really a huge part of what makes the multiplayer experience memorable. Simply taking a single player map, tossing some hay bales and barrels in, and calling it a day isn't enough. I thought that tf2 did a really good job making their maps distinct, and I think the varied use of art assets really helped them. Dust/dust2 is a pretty stark contrast to maps like assault, and I'm hoping there's lots of variance in the levels. Personally, I hope the game is balanced and interesting enough to be played competitively, but I'm sure that's very low down the list to many devs (understandably so).

Top Bottom