• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Ken

Hope they are able to add more customization options (especially character wise like more gear and helmets) after release.

legbone

ok, the videos are starting to hype me up. my backlog is crying "no you bastard" but i'm hoping this is like mag and has a long life online. i still play mag (well, i did until a couple weeks ago, he he) and i bought it day one. i'm just not sure whether to get this for 360 or ps3. i prefer psn for it's voice chat and awesome official bt headset. i also have more friends on psn. but i'm afraid since this is coming out while the psn is down it may not sell as well. damn. guess i'm just gonna wait (it's going to be hard mind you) a week or so and see what happens.

Those customization videos are pretty awesome. Lots of options to define the look of your character. Really liking the weapon attachments as well and the names of them. The COGA and Yeotech sights are awesome and look just like a ACOG and Eotech setup. Can't wait to make my own character and find a nice gun to customize.

classicdms

Neo Member
It's also running I'd tech 4, a PC ass PC game engine. I'm not too worried about how it runs as opposed to how it feels/plays.

Darkshier said:
Those customization videos are pretty awesome. Lots of options to define the look of your character. Really liking the weapon attachments as well and the names of them. The COGA and Yeotech sights are awesome and look just like a ACOG and Eotech setup. Can't wait to make my own character and find a nice gun to customize.

As a gun nut I got a major kick out of their clever names.

zlatko

Banned
Now that I'm completely warn out from the Gears of War 3 beta all I can do is keep thinking about how awesome this game will be in a few days.

Gaf people need to get this early and do some live streamage. :)

"Because there's better looking 2010 games with lower requirements."

Specifically? Not that Brink is the best looking game ever, but it doesn't look "dated" for the requirements by any means.

Teknoman

vidal said:
This is why I feel it's going to be unoptimized.

I hope thats not the case...but the same thing did happen with Bulletstorm...

BS isnt that unoptimized, but it is lacking as far as general expected performance goes. That and black bars for 16:10...which I hope Brink doesnt fall prey to.

demolitio

Teknopathetic said:
"Because there's better looking 2010 games with lower requirements."

Specifically? Not that Brink is the best looking game ever, but it doesn't look "dated" for the requirements by any means.
I actually think the artstyle makes the game look pretty damn good. It's not the best out there, but I agree that it doesn't look dated at all. Animations are my only gripe really.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
demolitio said:
I actually think the artstyle makes the game look pretty damn good. It's not the best out there, but I agree that it doesn't look dated at all. Animations are my only gripe really.
Some of the pre-release shots looked great. Almost bullshot quality. I'm guessing those were all from the PC.

Nocebo said:
Damn, this guy's play is horribad. Looks like someone who's playing fps for the first time.

No shit. It made me cringe just to watch it. But the customization vids do look hot.

I'm coming in to this pretty late - any good hands-on impressions that I could read to push me over the fence one way or the other?

XeroSauce

Teknoman said:
So, do we have to create a character for both sides, or just if we want to try out a different body type?

You have 10 or 8 "personas" you can be of either side and any body type (once unlocked). Each of those personas can be equipped with different skills for different classes, but you cannot change persona in game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
cackhyena said:
Just saw the weapons customization vid. I like the Kriss knockoff being called the Kross.

And the Universal Sub Machinegun 45 being called the GALACTIC SMG

On Topic,
Thats a hell of a lot of weapon attachments to unlock, cant wait for this game.
And i must say the interface is rather pleasing to look at.

Kholdstare

Man I still don't know what to play while waiting for Brink. Everything is kinda boring to me right now.

Portal 2 spoiler

I feel like the space core right now except for Brink

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I was honestly a little underwhelmed by the weapon customization, but I don't really know why I had such high expectations.

Ultimately it boils down to a few pieces of the gun you can change that look like that do the same thing (Muzzles, scopes, mags, etc). Is there any color or camo customization for the weapons for the weapons or is it just parts?

Character customization is looking hot though.

Nocebo

Tomat said:
Ultimately it boils down to a few pieces of the gun you can change that look like that do the same thing (Muzzles, scopes, mags, etc). Is there any color or camo customization for the weapons for the weapons or is it just parts?

Eh what are you talking about? You don't just customize look but also function of your weapons with these parts. And there's plenty of pieces to change, dunno what more you were expecting?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Nocebo said:
Eh what are you talking about? You don't just customize look but also function of your weapons with these parts. And there's plenty of pieces to change, dunno what more you were expecting?

What do you mean by function? And I guess I was expecting a bit more variety, but I shouldn't be so quick to judge. That video is the only thing I've seen of the weapon customization in action.

Rahk

Nocebo said:
I hope it supports a little more than 8v8 on pc to be honest.
I tend to find games with lower player limits to be more enjoyable, especially if the maps are built for it. I found 12 player servers for Crysis 2 to be more enjoyable than the 16 player ones. No idea why they set the default to 16 on PC. Most of the maps are way too small and some of them you spawn right behind/in front of the enemy. I find 24 players to be too many in TF2 as well, so I hope it stays at 8v8 for Brink.

Nocebo

Tomat said:
What do you mean by function? And I guess I was expecting a bit more variety, but I shouldn't be so quick to judge. That video is the only thing I've seen of the weapon customization in action.
Maybe I misunderstood what you posted but you seemed to suggest that the customizations were purely for looks? I'm pretty sure the silencer silences your shots, the drum clip changes the fire rate of your gun, the scope is actually used to zoom in, the grip makes your gun more accurate etc. etc.

Rahk said:
I find 24 players to be too many in TF2 as well, so I hope it stays at 8v8 for Brink.
In my opinion low number of players kinda sucks when 3 people want to play sniper and 2 want to play spy. I guess it would be less of a problem in brink since weaponry isn't tied to class as much (more to body type I think?).

Tokubetsu

classicdms said:
It's also running I'd tech 4, a PC ass PC game engine. I'm not too worried about how it runs as opposed to how it feels/plays.

Yea, definitely the bigger concern for me as well. Funny thing about IdTech5 and RAGE for me is it seems to have inherited all of idtech4's problem as well. /sigh

Rahk

So do D2D just send you a Steam code? If so I presume people from non-locked regions could buy it for people that are region locked?

Anyone want a cheap copy of Portal 2 and some other Valve games? ;)

Tokubetsu

K.Sabot said:
I wish they'd send you the code early so I could pre-load it from steam or something.

As of right now, you can't even pre-load the game if you bought it from steam so it's no biggy.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Kholdstare said:
Man I still don't know what to play while waiting for Brink. Everything is kinda boring to me right now.

Portal 2 spoiler

I feel like the space core right now except for Brink
Haha, it's having the same effect on me. I finished Black Ops on 360 and tried to play some online MW1 on PC for a quick gun/team fix...

Naturally, neither could cut it. In fact, now I hate CoD more than ever!

Raide

Tomat said:
I was honestly a little underwhelmed by the weapon customization, but I don't really know why I had such high expectations.

Yes there is, else it would make things like the Pre-Order Doom stuff a little pointless. :D

6JOmpl.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
LOL, everytime this thread is bumped I just come back to see if there's impressions or reviews out yet :)

Top Bottom