• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

JonCha

For me I'm going to be interested if the game can sustain a good population. Shooters seem to come out now and get swamped (even Crysis 2 to an extent).

desu

Raide said:
Is it Brink time yet? Damn, If any game would break the street date in the UK, I wish it would be Brink :(

German/Austrian store is apparently having stock and sending out their orders already.

MMaRsu

Ehh so why did they remove the brink weapons & attachment videos from youtube?

Copyright claims? Fuck you guys, I want to watch a video to learn about your upcoming game, and it gets removed?

desu

MMaRsu said:
Ehh so why did they remove the brink weapons & attachment videos from youtube?

Copyright claims? Fuck you guys, I want to watch a video to learn about your upcoming game, and it gets removed?

NDA or no prerelease footage allowed, even you legally own the game. Not surprising.

desu said:
NDA or no prerelease footage allowed, even you legally own the game. Not surprising.

Sure, but why is Bethesda so intent on hiding footage? I just don't get it! It literally blows my mind why a new IP like this doesn't have more media out there. Why no full matches? Why just a couple of tutorial videos? Bethesda should be showing this sucker off at all the gaming media outlets to drum up some interest. A week before release Reach had a hundred videos out, and it was already a surefire hit just because of its fanbase. So bizarre.

desu

Don't ask me, ask them :p.

I suppose for story intensive games it actually does make sense. Even you really cant stop the internet.

syoaran

The worst exam of my life is on the 9th, which makes Brink's release probably the best anti-depressant I could hope for. Unless it sucks.

syoaran said:
The worst exam of my life is on the 9th, which makes Brink's release probably the best anti-depressant I could hope for. Unless it sucks.
I have a paper due on the 9th and a project due on the 10th. Getting to play Brink on day one will be my reward for not procrastinating

Detox

I'm still one of those sitting on the fence for this game. I have been so close to buying this but none of the videos show me how a game will play out. If they have complete faith in this game to be the next big multiplayer game they should just release a couple of videos from their own tournament. That way people can see how a game will play out by people who are experienced to its mechanics. Add some commentary to that and you get a perfect video showcasing Brink. Right now I'm just waiting on GAF impressions to decide whether I'll bite the bullet.

Sorry if this is old but it's new to me: Ready and Able

Xater

Full Metal Jacket said:
This game looks real fun, I have a bad feeling that PS3 version won't be good at all.

But that's the version have been showing off at events...

That's usually a good sign and I expect both version to be pretty much identical.

Full Metal Jacket said:
This game looks real fun, I have a bad feeling that PS3 version won't be good at all.

Why? it's not like they kept it in the dark. They showed the ps3 version on several shows and locations and it looked pretty good to me.

Ikkarus

I want to get this but since I only want the PS3 version I will wait until PSN is back up.

Hopefully PSN gets fixed before this launches otherwise I will get something else. :(

Raide

Lunchbox said:
its not even a joke anymore

a online focus game like this would be dead on arrival on the system if psn keeps having problems

Yeah, if PSN is still down, the Brink PS3 community will be DOA. :( Also, I so hope they tested all the networking code before they unleash this game. Even a few days of dropped games and lag would be enough to sour people away from it.

desu

Lunchbox said:
its not even a joke anymore

a online focus game like this would be dead on arrival on the system if psn keeps having problems

Thats what I already said a while back, but I really was expecting Sony to get it up again this week.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really feel bad for the Brink developers considering the situation with PSN. Even if sony gets it up in time there's no guarantee it'll even be stable.

Taborcarn

Papercuts said:
I really feel bad for the Brink developers considering the situation with PSN. Even if sony gets it up in time there's no guarantee it'll even be stable.

That's the same reason I feel bad for the SOCOM developers, those guys really got screwed.

DEO3

Genesis Knight said:
Sure, but why is Bethesda so intent on hiding footage? I just don't get it! It literally blows my mind why a new IP like this doesn't have more media out there. Why no full matches? Why just a couple of tutorial videos? Bethesda should be showing this sucker off at all the gaming media outlets to drum up some interest. A week before release Reach had a hundred videos out, and it was already a surefire hit just because of its fanbase. So bizarre.

Yeah, I'm getting really pissed at how they're handling the release of this game. Quit being a bunch of fucking pussies Bethesda and just show your fucking game already, let it speak for itself. Previews have been positive, hype has finally started building, have a little faith in your product for fuck's sake. The game comes out in only a couple of days and I'm left here watching two year old videos in order to get an idea of what match looks like? Give me a break.

Arucardo

Raide said:
Is it Brink time yet? Damn, If any game would break the street date in the UK, I wish it would be Brink :(
Even if it did break the street date you wouldn't get to play it before steam unlocks it (steamworks game) :( .

Zeliard

DEO3 said:
Yeah, I'm getting really pissed at how they're handling the release of this game. Quit being a bunch of fucking pussies Bethesda and just show your fucking game already, let it speak for itself. Previews have been positive, hype has finally started building, have a little faith in your product for fuck's sake. The game comes out in only a couple of days and I'm left here watching two year old videos in order to get an idea of what match looks like? Give me a break.

They're doing the exact same thing with Rage. So poorly marketed that it beggars belief.

demolitio

Ugh, I'm running out of time to get enough money for this game. Maybe I should go out on the street and sell my leftover painkillers... :D

I hope we see some more videos this weekend to keep us occupied.

Raide

Arucardo said:
Even if it did break the street date you wouldn't get to play it before steam unlocks it (steamworks game) :( .

360...woo! :D

Though, playing a game when hardly anyone else is around, pretty much ruins the feel of it. Especially MP heavy games.

Arucardo

Raide said:
360...woo! :D

Though, playing a game when hardly anyone else is around, pretty much ruins the feel of it. Especially MP heavy games.
Oh yeah, completely forgot about that. Still not sure if I should pull the trigger on this one.

Raide

Arucardo said:
Oh yeah, completely forgot about that. Still not sure if I should pull the trigger on this one.

The game will live or die based upon the Community. Brink has many elements that should bring loads of people into the Community but the reliability of the Network code on Day 1 is the real test.

Between Hardcore W:ET and ET:QW players, will they jump in because its similar to those titles? Will TF2 players like what they see and try it out? Will CoD players even look at it since it is all built around team-play? What about the E-sports people, will they even bat an eyelid? How about people who play FPS games casually and avoid all the Core shooters like Halo/Gears/CoD?

The launch week should be very interesting.

ameratsu

Raide said:
The game will live or die based upon the Community. Brink has many elements that should bring loads of people into the Community but the reliability of the Network code on Day 1 is the real test.

The launch week should be very interesting.

I have been a steady l4d2 player for the last 1.5 years. People I play with are frustrated with the community, in that it is hard to just start up the game and play against a skilled opposing team. With huge disparities in team coordination and skill, one team ends up raging one or two maps into a campaign.

One of my l4d2 groups is getting Brink because they want a team-oriented shooter with a decent community. I agree that it will be really interesting to see how this game is received. I will do my part and provide impressions come tuesday.

ameratsu said:
I have been a steady l4d2 player for the last 1.5 years. People I play with are frustrated with the community, in that it is hard to just start up the game and play against a skilled opposing team. With huge disparities in team coordination and skill, one team ends up raging one or two maps into a campaign.

One of my l4d2 groups is getting Brink because they want a team-oriented shooter with a decent community. I agree that it will be really interesting to see how this game is received. I will do my part and provide impressions come tuesday.

Yea.... but it doesn't take long to find a good balanced game with skilled non-ragers.

"Between Hardcore W:ET and ET:QW players, will they jump in because its similar to those titles? Will TF2 players like what they see and try it out? Will CoD players even look at it since it is all built around team-play? What about the E-sports people, will they even bat an eyelid?"

QW had a pretty healthy competitive scene (not really CS/S or DOTA and of course not SC2, but respectable) for quite a while and that game was jank as all get out.

Raide

Teknopathetic said:
"Between Hardcore W:ET and ET:QW players, will they jump in because its similar to those titles? Will TF2 players like what they see and try it out? Will CoD players even look at it since it is all built around team-play? What about the E-sports people, will they even bat an eyelid?"

QW had a pretty healthy competitive scene (not really CSS or DOTA and of course not SC2, but respectable) for quite a while and that game was jank as all get out.

Hopefully Brink gets the same following. Will be interesting to see what all this Brink.TV stuff does for it as well.

Spookie

Looks like the pre-orders are up for Brink dedis on some sites. £12 for a 16 player server. Bargain!

Proven said:

"Adrenaline Boost (R2)
THIS IS GREAT
Buffs a teammate to ignore all damage for the next 5 seconds. Has a 60 second cooldown. The catch is, all damage ignored at the end of the 5 seconds gets inflicted all at once. You cannot administer this to yourself."

DATBUFF.gif

Falagard

I'm going to get Brink for 360 because I'm afraid my PC spec is low (NVidia 8800 GTS) but am worried about 360 populations.

Ah well, apparently there's still some people that play Shadowrun on 360 so I guess it should be ok.

Raide

derFeef said:
The Adrenalin Boost sounds awesome.

That sounds interesting.

Metabolism sounds great, shame you cannot self buff, since that would help Medics stay alive longer.

Lazarus Grenade sounds delicious.

Top Bottom