• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Raide

Rei_Toei said:
LOL, everytime this thread is bumped I just come back to see if there's impressions or reviews out yet :)

*wags fist*

Damn you!!!

Anyway, Customisation stuff looks awesome and I do hope they have lots of unlocks in the game. Only thing I wondered about the Character stuff, the variety of hair colour seems a little low. Need Neon Green! :D

Dina

I'm missing blond or red hair colour, or wasn't I looking right? Or even pink or blue or green?

I'm kinda with the dude that thought the weapon customizing trailer was a bit lacklustre. But on the other hand, what else is missing? Not much, imo. But it falls flat when compared to the myriad of character options. I was missing weapon camo though, considering the Doom DLC.

edit: And am I right in that Security can't go bare-chested? Revolution surely can, but when playing as Security you have to at least wear a shirt.

Raide

sweetvar26 said:
Sorry, haven't been following about the game but does it have any RPG elements at all? Also is there campaign Co-op?

Class based FPS where you get XP, level up, unlocking new gear that can be just cosmetic and ability altering too.

SP and MP blend. So you can play SP with bots through a campaign with cut-scenes but you could also have a group of friends to play with you. Then you might as well have player enemies and then you're playing the MP mode

Dina said:
I'm missing blond or red hair colour, or wasn't I looking right? Or even pink or blue or green?

I'm kinda with the dude that thought the weapon customizing trailer was a bit lacklustre. But on the other hand, what else is missing? Not much, imo. But it falls flat when compared to the myriad of character options. I was missing weapon camo though, considering the Doom DLC.

edit: And am I right in that Security can't go bare-chested? Revolution surely can, but when playing as Security you have to at least wear a shirt.

I only saw a few shades of brown but hopefully there is more as you scroll up and down.

I know the video showed some stuff locked but I wonder if there are any other bits that only appear once the challenges are done? Seems odd to show off everything. Nice to have secret stuff. :D

Yeah, it looks like you have to wear something.

Nocebo

sweetvar26 said:
Sorry, haven't been following about the game but does it have any RPG elements at all? Also is there campaign Co-op?
Depends on what you consider RPG elements. You get XP for dealing damage / killing / completing objectives. Which will level up your character so you can unlock new abilities. Up to 7 people can join you in a co-op single player campaign (or is it 7 people total in a campaign? not sure).

derFeef

Dina said:

Blond is there, also red-ish. http://brinkthegame.com/features/customization/
I am kinda glad we are not getting neon-green and stuff like that. Keep it in the games palette.

Lunchbox

Banned
Raide said:
6JOmpl.jpg
looks like someone who still listens to limp bizkit and korn

that bandana is mine

Raide

Lunchbox said:

that bandana is mine

Really think they missed out on giving the Security Forces a full Doom or even Quake outfit. :D

Dina

'The Shield' helmet actually comes close. As close as you can get, btw. Hope we can skin it Orange, so I can run like Phobos in Quake 3.

Lunchbox said:

that bandana is mine
How d'you think, will this bonuses be purchasable after the release? Do want doom-guy outfit.

Lunchbox

Banned
The_Player said:
How d'you think, will this bonuses be purchasable after the release? Do want doom-guy outfit.
probably be dlc after a month or so

or codes on ebay for 5 bucks by gamestop employees

Raide

The_Player said:
Oh, they can do it too? Nice! Guess, I'll be watching ebay from day one.

If those things are just codes that shops give away, I am hoping to get hold of the UK GAME one, which was the Doom and the Spec-ops pack. Give them away to the 360 Brink regulars. Hopefully the codes are not region locked or anything.

zlatko

Banned
Gaiz...you GAIZ...gaiz... It's 5/6/2011 and Brink comes out 5/10/2011. That means if I'm getting it early in the morning on 5/10, then it's like 3 days and some hours left. ;D

Tokubetsu

Raide said:
If those things are just codes that shops give away, I am hoping to get hold of the UK GAME one, which was the Doom and the Spec-ops pack. Give them away to the 360 Brink regulars. Hopefully the codes are not region locked or anything.

If they're not console specific, please swag me out with a doom code too (pc).

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Lunchbox said:

Hopefully it'll stay cheap. People been buying MK dlc like crazy on ebay. I've seen the Reptile dlc go for $90+ many times and other MK dlc go from $20-$40 around the first and second week of release.

Nocebo

zlatko said:
Gaiz...you GAIZ...gaiz... It's 5/6/2011 and Brink comes out 5/13/2011. That means if I'm getting it early in the morning on 5/13, then it's like 6 days and some hours left. ;D
Fixed for euros ;___;

Raide

Tokubetsu said:
If they're not console specific, please swag me out with a doom code too (pc).

I will see what I can do. Usually I find my local GAME gets loads of 360 codes and hardly any PC or PS3 ones :(

derFeef

zlatko said:
If you are going for PC version as a Euro then aren't there means to have it on the 10th as well?
Steamworks title - and Steam unlocks on 13th for Euros :(
fake edit: Retail as well - you can install it, but it does not unlock.

Nocebo

zlatko said:
If you are going for PC version as a Euro then aren't there means to have it on the 10th as well?
I'm not sure but I had already pre-ordered the euro version of the game from steam a few days ago so I guess I'm stuck either way.

Dina

zlatko said:

In regards to D2D, they check both your address (i think) and your IP to match US before you can purchase anything. Regardless, it won't unlock on Steam till the 13th.

zlatko

Banned
derFeef said:
Steamworks title - and Steam unlocks on 13th for Euros :(
fake edit: Retail as well - you can install it, but it does not unlock.

The world we live in is a stupid one that publishers and developers put these kinds of limitations with downloading media.

I suspect it's the retailers who have their nuts in a vice though.

derFeef

zlatko said:
The world we live in is a stupid one that publishers and developers put these kinds of limitations with downloading media.

I suspect it's the retailers who have their nuts in a vice though.
Seriously. Eliminating that in DD services would a good start.
edit: ohh my favourite retailer is sending out the german versions, all platforms. Should have double-dipped ;)

I've just been sent an email from Bethesda that says 'in Brink you can create over 100,000,000,000,000,000 different characters – that’s over 100 quadrillion!'

That's quite a lot. lol

More deliciously pointless stats here

Lunchbox said:

I've read on the Splash Damage forums that the pre order bonuses are just that and will not be available as DLC later on. I will try to dig up the quote when I get on my PC.

desu

Darkshier said:
I've read on the Splash Damage forums that the pre order bonuses are just that and will not be available as DLC later on. I will try to dig up the quote when I get on my PC.

Yes I read that as well, they also dont plan on opening an TF2 like item store.

To be really honest, I guess for this game I wouldn mind buying a nice pack that gives a 30-50 new clothes for a few bucks. (Shame on me!).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I can't wait. Please be good. Please be good. Oh please be good.

MonkeyKnuckle said:
I've just been sent an email from Bethesda that says 'in Brink you can create over 100,000,000,000,000,000 different characters – that’s over 100 quadrillion!'

That's quite a lot. lol

More deliciously pointless stats here

Total Unique Characters (including minor tint variations and body types)

What the hell?

Dina

Yes well, considering all the various tint changes on the hair, facial hair, shirts, jackets and trousers I'm not that shocked.

Square Triangle said:
It's not catering to the simple minded CoD crowd, of course it will get overlooked.

I hope that this game sells very well, but Ill be honest.... if some select members of the CoD crowd stays with CoD, Id be okay with that.

derFeef

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/05/06/brink-by-numbers/
When you get your hands on Brink next week, you’ll see it offers tons of variety. But exactly how much? Recently our Brink statisticians did some crunching and came up to some crazy numbers that reach into the quadrillions.

Voice Packs: 8
Number of ways to die: 45
Individual weapon sounds: 4,500
Lines of Dialogue: 26,000
Minutes of Music: 60
Weapon attachment combinations (not counting for Resistance variations or pre-order content): 4,963
Unique Security Characters (not counting minor tint variations or body types): 4,530,240
Unique Security Characters (not counting minor tint variations but including body types):13,590,720
Unique Security Characters (including minor tint variations, but not body types)15,775,119,360,000,000
Unique Security Characters (including minor tint variations and body types) 47,325,358,080,000,000
Unique Resistance Characters (not counting minor tint variations or body types): 4,530,240
Unique Resistance Characters (not counting minor tint variations but including body types):13,590,720
Unique Resistance Characters (including minor tint variations, but not body types): 18,307,441,152,000,000
Unique Resistance Characters (including minor tint variations and body types): 54,922,323,456,000,000
Total Unique Characters (including minor tint variations and body types): 102,247,681,536,000,000

edit: damn, beaten by a mile!

MonkeyKnuckle said:
Another Brink video...sort of.

Brink vs Daniel Ilabaca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUk7G8t5-lE
That is a really cool video and shows off the movement in Brink really well. The real parkour stuff is awesome as well, especially towards the end when that guy jumps onto the post in the water, then back to the bridge. Can't wait to use movement like that to move across the map environments and outmaneuver the other team.

Shoogoo said:
I have the feeling this game is being a little bit overlooked.

Is it only me?

Nope...but at the same time I don't think that it'll get completely ignored.

This feels like another Borderlands situation when it comes to popularity.

f0rk

Darkshier said:
That is a really cool video and shows off the movement in Brink really well. The real parkour stuff is awesome as well, especially towards the end when that guy jumps onto the post in the water, then back to the bridge. Can't wait to use movement like that to move across the map environments and outmaneuver the other team.

I laughed when they were running on railings, in real life that's impressive but in a video game a few games let you do that just because of dodgy engine rules.

Shoogoo

Tricky I Shadow said:
Nope...but at the same time I don't think that it'll get completely ignored.

This feels like another Borderlands situation when it comes to popularity.

I think it won't sell as good as Borderlands.

So this is primarily a multi player game right?

I'm not sure if I want to check it out before I make my purchase or not... I don't seem to find myself attracted to multi's lately, but I really like the idea of this game and the theme, setting etc...

taoofjord

I'm starting to get really pumped for this game now. It seems like Splash Damage is going all out for this game, with heavy post-launch support (which from what I know seems to be usual for them) and a very strong, friendly community.

Top Bottom