• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Flashbang Grenades (R2)
Temporarily blind players who see them detonate. Teammates will not be affected unless friendly fire is on.

Awesome. I love flashbangs and am going to blind a lot of people with them. Open, flash and clear baby.

Silent Running (R4)
Makes your running completely silent. Normally if you are sprinting, you appear on radar up to a certain distance. This will reduce all sound you make by 80% and make it so that you only appear on radar if you fire or are spotted.

This also sounds like a great ability for any class. Being able to use the environment to flank and then use this perk to get in close and silent will be great. Definitely getting Silent Running.

Adrenaline boost sounds like it could be really frustrating tbh.

Fight your way to interupt a capture or plant and not be able to stop it after all that effort, get helplessly overrun by some invulnerably guy with a big ass weapon , him dieing after won't make it any more fun for the receiving end.

At least the ubercharge in TF takes a long time to build up and can be stopped by killing the medic.
This just seems like a poor man's ubercharge.

All it'll do is punish those with great aim, mess up good set ups and flanks etc.
It's no different than mines or chopper/air strike in other games, evens out the field for the plebs.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SneakyStephan said:

Fight your way to interupt a capture or plant and not be able to stop it after all that effort, get helplessly overrun by some invulnerably guy with a big ass weapon , him dieing after won't make it any more fun for the receiving end.

At least the ubercharge in TF takes a long time to build up and can be stopped by killing the medic.

You can't kill the medic unless he separates from the one he's charged on.

SneakyStephan said:

They're immune to damage but not knockdowns and things like that. There are ways to stop them and 5 seconds isn't a long time.

legbone

Ikkarus said:
I want to get this but since I only want the PS3 version I will wait until PSN is back up.

Hopefully PSN gets fixed before this launches otherwise I will get something else. :(

i think i am going to go ahead and pick it up for psn myself (for a couple of different reasons). my understanding is the single player xp transfers over to the multiplayer (uses same character) so you could be leveling up and learning the maps while sony gets their shit together. i totally expect psn to be up by the time this game releases though. at least the ability to play online if not the store.

those perks and the videos from earlier have finally sold me. not to mention my mother owes me 70 bucks and i told her to just pick up brink for me and we'll call it even.

derFeef

Danne-Danger said:
They're immune to damage but not knockdowns and things like that. There are ways to stop them and 5 seconds isn't a long time.
And they will probably die everytime after that. Sounds griefable ;)

Alienshogun said:
You can't kill the medic unless he separates from the one he's charged on.
That is not what I said:p
You can prevent the ubercharge by taking out a medic in time (before he charges 100 percent full).
If you let him heal for that long you can see it coming and it's your own fault, that's the build up.

Anyhow, as the poster above said, if he can get knocked down I guess I can live with it.
Knockdowns in a fps seem strange though, I guess I'll reserve judgement until I play this weird game then.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SneakyStephan said:
That is not what I said:p
You can prevent the ubercharge by taking out a medic in time (before he charges 100 percent full).
If you let him heal for that long you can see it coming and it's your own fault, that's the build up.

Anyhow, as the poster above said, if he can get knocked down I guess I can live with it.
Knockdowns in a fps seem strange though, I guess I'll reserve judgement until I play this weird game then.

Actually that is what you said, now you're just clarifying what you meant.

FishStix

Neo Member
Brink is the only FPS I have actually looked forward to in a long, long time. I come from the eSports scene, and I can tell you now that the competitive FPS communities of the world are chomping at the bit for a new title that actually lends itself to competitive play.

Its still yet to be seen whether the game will have the competitive balance and features we need, but I plan on supporting this game as best as I possibly can from an eSports perspective. That means playing, shoutcasting, organizing tournaments, and promoting.

Hope you guys are with me for the long haul :) (PC ONLY KTHNX)

Plissken

vermadas said:
For those who would rather have a physical copy (or would just rather deal with Amazon than D2D to get it cheaper), Amazon has extended their $10 bonus credit to the PC version:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002GDRPYI/

Awesome, thanks for posting that. I was planning on pre-ordering through Steam later tonight when I got home from work anyway, the extra stuff, release date delivery and $10 credit are well worth not being able to pre-load it.

FishStix said:
Brink is the only FPS I have actually looked forward to in a long, long time. I come from the eSports scene, and I can tell you now that the competitive FPS communities of the world are chomping at the bit for a new title that actually lends itself to competitive play.

Its still yet to be seen whether the game will have the competitive balance and features we need, but I plan on supporting this game as best as I possibly can from an eSports perspective. That means playing, shoutcasting, organizing tournaments, and promoting.

Thats great and all but Brink feels like a wait and see kinda deal, there's still no solid PC hd+ gameplay vids.

And no demo.

This is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask any way.

I'll be playing this on PC but I don't have a microphone. Will I more than likely get kicked out of most games because of this? I've thought about getting back into Team Fortress 2 but the lack of a microphone has stopped me. I'd get one, but I want a nice set and can't afford it at the moment.

"I'll be playing this on PC but I don't have a microphone. Will I more than likely get kicked out of most games because of this? I've thought about getting back into Team Fortress 2 but the lack of a microphone has stopped me. I'd get one, but I want a nice set and can't afford it at the moment."

Nobody's going to (nobody *can*) kick you from servers on PC if you don't have a mic. Only the server's admins can kick/ban you and I've yet to run into a server over like 14 years of playing FPSs on dedicated servers where an admin kicked anyone for not having a mic. It just doesn't happen. Nobody gives a shit.

Teknopathetic said:
Nobody's going to (nobody *can*) kick you from servers on PC if you don't have a mic. Only the server's admins can kick/ban you and I've yet to run into a server over like 14 years of playing FPSs on dedicated servers where an admin kicked anyone for not having a mic. It just doesn't happen. Nobody gives a shit.

I haven't played a multiplayer game on PC in so long that I wasn't sure how games now work in that regard. The last time I played TF2 was on the 360 and I remember people complaining when someone didn't have a mic and others would say that if it were on PC they could be kicked and that always stuck in the back of my mind.

"I haven't played a multiplayer game on PC in so long that I wasn't sure how games now work in that regard. The last time I played TF2 was on the 360 and I remember people complaining when someone didn't have a mic and others would say that if it were on PC they could be kicked and that always stuck in the back of my mind."

They lied to you. Oh man did they lie to you. There's actually very little voice communication on public PC FPS servers. Unless it's a community/clan server where a bunch of friends are dicking around, but even then most of the time they'd probably be on their own teamspeak/mumble/vent server chatting it up instead of using the in-game chat.

"d2d keys up. Pre-loading now."

Noice.

Teknoman

LastWindow said:
This is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask any way.

I'll be playing this on PC but I don't have a microphone. Will I more than likely get kicked out of most games because of this? I've thought about getting back into Team Fortress 2 but the lack of a microphone has stopped me. I'd get one, but I want a nice set and can't afford it at the moment.

It helps, but its not really mandatory. I'm still playing TF2 (well just on the GAF server atm, but still) and I only use my mic every so often. If someone is on your team with a mic, as long as everyone can hear them, everything works out fine.

Teknopathetic said:
They lied to you. Oh man did they lie to you. There's actually very little voice communication on public PC FPS servers. Unless it's a community/clan server where a bunch of friends are dicking around, but even then most of the time they'd probably be on their own teamspeak/mumble/vent server chatting it up instead of using the in-game chat.

It helps, but its not really mandatory. I'm still playing TF2 (well just on the GAF server atm, but still) and I only use my mic every so often. If someone is on your team with a mic, as long as everyone can hear them, everything works out fine.

This is great to know. Looks like I'll be getting back into TF2 now, unless Brink's multiplayer sucks up all of my time.

Teknopathetic said:

And that's how I like it. Unless I'm in a competitive ladder match, I don't want to wear a headset. I played Wolf ET for years and had plenty of awesome games without voice comms.
Same goes with QW, I actually disabled it so I wouldn't have to hear people. You can accomplish a lot just with a team chat feature and a good set of custom binds for typical messages "I have the objective need backup", etc..

Death Dealer said:
And that's how I like it. Unless I'm in a competitive ladder match, I don't want to wear a headset. I played Wolf ET for years and had plenty of awesome games without voice comms.
Same goes with QW, I actually disabled it so I wouldn't have to hear people. You can accomplish a lot just with a team chat feature and a good set of custom binds for typical messages "I have the objective need backup", etc..
All you really need is "yes", "no", "thanks" and "sorry". And of course "Eat that, human!"

Teknoman

Death Dealer said:

On community servers (GAF for example) sometimes its fun to just joke around with others/ hear them joke around over the mic. Of course it helps for quick reaction attacks as well, but thats obvious.

f0rk

FishStix said:

I hear BC2 turned out great.

This isn't what you are looking for. The only FPS that could do what Starcraft 2 has done is a Counter-Strike sequel, and that's with the condition Valve focus on improving the game engine and netcode instead of hats, which they probably won't do. Or Quake 5 with a similar agenda. Stick with Quake Live till then.

Teknoman

f0rk said:
I hear BC2 turned out great.

This isn't what you are looking for. The only FPS that could do what Starcraft 2 has done is a Counter-Strike sequel, and that's with the condition Valve focus on improving the game engine and netcode instead of hats, which they probably won't do. Or Quake 5 with a similar agenda. Stick with Quake Live till then.

I'd hope Quake 5 would be more along the lines of 1 or 2, having a fun SP and MP. Never got into Q4 MP so I cant really comment on that.

Was able to get a copy early and I gotta say, I'm highly disappointed. I kinda went into this game with little expectation and thinking it would be a mix of Borderlands and Team Fortress. I was wrong. The highlight of the game so far was the character creation. I was shocked to find out that the campaign missions are just long multiplayer matches. I guess I expected somewhat of a story. This game isn't for everyone, I fall into that category.

-htownplaya- said:
Was able to get a copy early and I gotta say, I'm highly disappointed. I kinda went into this game with little expectation and thinking it would be a mix of Borderlands and Team Fortress. I was wrong. The highlight of the game so far was the character creation. I was shocked to find out that the campaign missions are just long multiplayer matches. I guess I expected somewhat of a story. This game isn't for everyone, I fall into that category.
That's what everyone's been saying the whole time, don't buy it for SP unless you enjoy bots, peeps.

-htownplaya- said:
Hard to sympathize given that it has been more than obvious the game is MP focused and that the SP was effectively MP modes with bots and cutscenes.

More impressions would be nice though. How does the game play? How do the guns feel/sound? What are the levels and objectives like? What platform and is it pretty?

-htownplaya- said:

Really? You were shocked? It's been known for a long time that's what singleplayer was. The games an online shooter.

Teknoman

Stripper13 said:
Hard to sympathize given that it has been more than obvious the game is MP focused and that the SP was effectively MP modes with bots and cutscenes.

More impressions would be nice though. How does the game play? How do the guns feel/sound? What are the levels and objectives like? What platform and is it pretty?

I'd like to know this as well (but yeah, thats basically how the Unreal Tournament series was, Quake 3, and even Left 4 Dead or Borderlands to a certain extent...since neither are really extremely fun without other players).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
-htownplaya- said:

So, you thought it would be a mix of two multiplayer heavy games...and you're disappointed at the single player? Really? Considering TF doesn't have a single player and Borderlands is an absolutely HORRIBLE single player game...

Ah, you know, forget it.

Teknoman

Might start bugging some of the TF2 guys about playing Brink. Then again, maybe word will spread if its as good as it seems.

Top Bottom