• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Proven

Teknoman said:
Might start bugging some of the TF2 guys about playing Brink. Then again, maybe word will spread if its as good as it seems.

If I enjoy it enough on 360 that I double dip on PC (with the eventual lack of support; I'm not holding my breath) I'll help you with that.

Tokubetsu

Can't commenting on it being my favorite but I put a LOT of hours into LP1 MP. It came out at a very strange time in my life and I just played the living shit out of it.

I myself love playing with/against bots, especially if I don't have a steady group of people to play with. It gives you a nice baseline to gauge how well you're doing since their skill is always the same, and you don't have to deal with the possibility of obnoxious personalities.

I just don't feel like I can tell how well I'm learning a game when I'm playing with randoms because of how wide the skill disparity can be from match to match. I never know if I'm not improving, or if I'm just going up against better players.

Tokubetsu said:
Can't commenting on it being my favorite but I put a LOT of hours into LP1 MP. It came out at a very strange time in my life and I just played the living shit out of it.

There was nothing on the 360 MP wise aside from Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and that was SOO much better than LP1.

FrankT

Square Triangle said:
There was nothing on the 360 MP wise aside from Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and that was SOO much better than LP1.

Rainbow Six pretty much owned the MP charts way back in the day iirc.

Teknoman

Square Triangle said:

I dunno...transforming snowmobiles and frisbee grenades were pretty fun :p

When playing with the right group/music playlist, LP1 MP post grab was tons of fun.

-htownplaya- said:
Was able to get a copy early and I gotta say, I'm highly disappointed. I kinda went into this game with little expectation and thinking it would be a mix of Borderlands and Team Fortress. I was wrong. The highlight of the game so far was the character creation. I was shocked to find out that the campaign missions are just long multiplayer matches. I guess I expected somewhat of a story. This game isn't for everyone, I fall into that category.

You go in with little expectations- and are highly disappointed?
You expected the game to play like a cross between 2 multiplayer games- and you don't like the like the single player story mode?

And then you disappear from the thread before leaving a single coherent impression. Feels like a troll to me.

Okay, I finally caved and pulled the trigger on a pre-order. I figured I might as well gamble on the game with the $10 credit rather than wait for impressions, and since I have a bunch of Amazon credit lying around, it's not costing me real money (that's how they get you!).

But the one thing I don't like is the Amazon pre-order bonus (the "Psycho Pack"). I'd much rather have the Pip Boy shirt; anyone want to trade me a Fallout pre-order skin for the Psycho pre-order skin (EDIT: For Xbox 360)? PM me if you're interested.

PsychoSoldier said:
I myself love playing with/against bots, especially if I don't have a steady group of people to play with. It gives you a nice baseline to gauge how well you're doing since their skill is always the same, and you don't have to deal with the possibility of obnoxious personalities.

I just don't feel like I can tell how well I'm learning a game when I'm playing with randoms because of how wide the skill disparity can be from match to match. I never know if I'm not improving, or if I'm just going up against better players.
I enjoy the occasional botmatch as well, both in TF2 and QW I'd fire one up every now and then to just try crazy shit (trick-jumps, weird spots for odd weapons etc.) and get used to hitboxes/spread etc. but I’d never ever stay in a MP game that has a bot in it. I think it's neat you'll get XP for botmatches in Brink so it's not entirely pointless (for me and the devs putting the time in to create them), TF2 will still give you loot drops and such, I think it's a good way to get the people (and there are a lot of them) who only play with bots to go online.

Sanic

Anybody know exactely what time the D2D sale ends? I'll be back home late sunday evening and want to make sure I can still get in on that.

zorbsie

Been playing this all evening. If you are buying this to play single player only, don't. AI is not the games strong suit. I feel like I have to run around and do everything. I do think that playing with a team full of real players would be lots of fun.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Brink is backstocked in select retailers. Expect leaked gameplay over the weekend probably by tomorrow. I'm not saying I have access to it, but I know how street dated titles work

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
zorbsie said:
Been playing this all evening. If you are buying this to play single player only, don't. AI is not the games strong suit. I feel like I have to run around and do everything. I do think that playing with a team full of real players would be lots of fun.

Are the servers not up yet?

zorbsie

Papercuts said:
Are the servers not up yet?

I'm playing on the 360. Servers seem to be up. Only played one online match and it was a little laggy. Movement was really jumpy, so I went back to single player, which is multiplayer with bots.

zoner said:
Brink is backstocked in select retailers. Expect leaked gameplay over the weekend probably by tomorrow. I'm not saying I have access to it, but I know how street dated titles work

I lol'd. That's how most game releases are these days.

zorbsie said:
I'm playing on the 360. Servers seem to be up. Only played one online match and it was a little laggy. Movement was really jumpy, so I went back to single player, which is multiplayer with bots.

Was there a count for how many players were online? I'm assuming
hoping
the lag issues are because of the lack of available players.

zorbsie

divisionbyzorro said:
Was there a count for how many players were online? I'm assuming
hoping
the lag issues are because of the lack of available players.

You might be right, I think there was only 3 players in the match the rest was AI. I didn't think that would affect lag. Here hoping it'll be smooth sailing come Tuesday.

X-Frame

So PSN might not come back this week -- which means no Brink online with others.

At least I can advance my in-game character offline, but I feel like I want to switch to the 360 before it's too late.

bangai-o

Banned
X-Frame said:
So PSN might not come back this week -- which means no Brink online with others.

At least I can advance my in-game character offline, but I feel like I want to switch to the 360 before it's too late.
when my insternet goes down (often) i put in Shadowrun for bot action. I guess this game is also going to satisfy that.

Shoogoo

Holy shit at the guy who expected a story campaign and at the guy who's fav game this gen is LP2

Weird stuff happening in the thread

zorbsie said:
You might be right, I think there was only 3 players in the match the rest was AI. I didn't think that would affect lag. Here hoping it'll be smooth sailing come Tuesday.

Yeah - if there are only 3 players in the match, who knows where they are physically. You could be playing with Europeans for all you know.

So the game will drop bots into online matches? So if a teammate quits out, a bot will replace him?

commissar

Shoogoo said:
Holy shit at the guy who expected a story campaign and at the guy who's fav game this gen is LP2

Well when you have the words "single player" involved in a game, and also the cg trailers about the backstory of the ark etc. it's not unreasonable to expect a story campaign.
Until I followed the game more closely I thought there was a sp story as well

the marketing for brink has not been too good imo

Tokubetsu

Shoogoo said:

Well to be fair, you are kinda getting a story campaign...just not in the traditional sense haha. There are cutscenes. There's a story bro.

Shoogoo

commissar said:
Well when you have the words "single player" involved in a game, and also the cg trailers about the backstory of the ark etc. it's not unreasonable to expect a story campaign.
Until I followed the game more closely I thought there was a sp story as well

the marketing for brink has not been too good imo

You got a point. It's a shame though.

george_us said:
I said second favorite.

Get it right, son.

You'd have said it was in your top 10 it would still boggles my mind. Tastes, etc..

Shoogoo said:
You got a point. It's a shame though.

I'm reminded of Transformers WFC. Possibly my favorite MP so far this gen, but it was improperly marketed, had a horrible demo, and ended up completely overlooked. Hopefully the same doesn't happen here.

vidal said:
I totally saw two Brink posters on the windows of a local GameStop. The marketing is excellent.

The fact that it exists yes, but I don't feel like the marketing in general has done a good job of explaining exactly what it is.

bangai-o

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
The fact that it exists yes, but I don't feel like the marketing in general has done a good job of explaining exactly what it is.
i saw 4 commercials on Smackdown tonite for the game. It looked like an arena shooting game with running.

demolitio

Oh man...It's so nice to watch some actual raw gameplay even if it's bots. My interest just went up a little bit after watching stream, but I'm not sure if it's just because I want something that I can't have yet. :D

Top Bottom