• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
derFeef said:
I have fully preloaded on Steam, yeah. Kinda mad about that D2D deal I did not know of.

Huh, what about it? I've bought it from d2d but I havent figured out how/if I'll be able to preload it on steam yet since I don't have the key. Have I missed something?

derFeef

Corky said:
Huh, what about it? I've bought it from d2d but I havent figured out how/if I'll be able to preload it on steam yet since I don't have the key. Have I missed something?
I bought it on Steam. Me idiot.

rac

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
all streams nuked from orbit.
Good riddance, I hated all the streams so far except for the weapon and character customization parts. I hope the devs know that all they have to do is release video of their internal tournament and the need for streams would be gone. Seems like a pretty easy solution and yet they don't do it for some reason.

derFeef

rac said:
Good riddance, I hated all the streams so far except for the weapon and character customization parts. I hope the devs know that all they have to do is release video of their internal tournament and the need for streams would be gone. Seems like a pretty easy solution and yet they don't do it for some reason.
Bethesda (Zeni Max) also has taken down A LOT of youtube stuff. Yeah, I don't get it as well. Even Bungie allowed streams of Reach from people who got it early.

jhawk6

Starfish_Oxide said:
Lame. That worries me, dont know if il preorder then....
What will reviews reveal about this game other than what can already be gathered by what we know about the game? You need a number to tell u if u like an objective oriented team based shooter?

We know all the mechanics in the game. We know the type of game it is. We've seen the AI in action through the gameplay vids that are out there.

The only legitimate concern people are having is if people will play the game in a team oriented manner and whether there will still be a community a few months from now. Neither of these can be evaluated by any reviews that show up on Tues.

Definity

I played a few challenges earlier and the class based game play is fun, controls seem solid, and the parkour movement works just fine. I look forward to grouping up with a few friends and playing each class and supporting the team. BTW - every game should give you the option to customize the controls like Brink allows you to.

I'm a little disappointed though in how the game looks. The engine is showing its age. Hopefully the day one patch (360 console) will fix things up because there is plenty of texture pop-in and I just wasn't that impressed with the overall look of the game. Everything just looks fuzzy and there is plenty of rough edges everywhere you look in game.

rac said:

It's the competitive gameplay that has to pull me in and I haven't seen much evidence that it's going to do so. Customization is nice but it's not the final decider for me to get a game.

Demo please or no buy.

And hurry because I don't want to be running behind the rest of the online pack.

jhawk6

blazinglazers said:
Hyped for this, can't wait for tuesday!

A question: does the game support local co-op / split screen?
No local coop/splitscreen :(

No system link/ LAN support either on consoles at least

Strider2K99 said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but has it been said if this game supports 360 controller on PC?
Officially, no. Unofficially, yes.

From the Splash Damage forums...

Brink's Associate Producer
We don't officially support any controllers on PC, so we aren't required to support the X360 controller either.

To which someone replies....

Thanks for the clarification. So if you support a Windows controller the GfW certification requires you also support X360 controllers?

If I read a little deeper can I also assume that mapping via the console (as in ETQW) is classed as "don't officially support"?

Pretty much spot on.

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24240

So yeah, I don't know what that means other than no native controller support. I don't think you will just be able to plug and play. It seems you will have to map the controls via the console, but I really don't know.

jhawk6 said:
No local coop/splitscreen :(

No system link/ LAN support either on consoles at least
Ah, too bad. Thanks for the info.

Blows my mind that developers don't cater more to local co-op. There's no better way to sell someone a game than them playing with their friends.

:/

jhawk6 said:
What will reviews reveal about this game other than what can already be gathered by what we know about the game? You need a number to tell u if u like an objective oriented team based shooter?

We know all the mechanics in the game. We know the type of game it is. We've seen the AI in action through the gameplay vids that are out there.

The only legitimate concern people are having is if people will play the game in a team oriented manner and whether there will still be a community a few months from now. Neither of these can be evaluated by any reviews that show up on Tues.

Well a good review would provide more then a number. For all we know the gameplay could be completely broken, a review would address this but an advertisement by Splash Damage wouldn't.

While the gameplay videos do look well they are created in a controlled environment and after all they are trying to sell their product so they wont point out any flaws but a review would cover this.

A review embargo, lack of demos and removal of all non-official game media doesn't bode well in my opinion but come Tuesday and we will see

kuYuri

Darkshier said:
Officially, no. Unofficially, yes.

From the Splash Damage forums...

To which someone replies....

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24240

So yeah, I don't know what that means other than no native controller support. I don't think you will just be able to plug and play. It seems you will have to map the controls via the console, but I really don't know.

I get that they are trying to say. Thanks for the response.

Alright I caved in and preordered on D2D, couldn't pass on that 25% offer! I love getting that much off on an already quite low price, for preordering.

Phthisis

Starfish_Oxide said:
A review embargo, lack of demos and removal of all non-official game media doesn't bode well in my opinion but come Tuesday and we will see

95% of games have review embargoes.

SneakyStephan said:
No lan support? fuck it then,what fps pretends to be competitive mp then doesn't even bother with LAN support.

(and yes, I still regularly play at LAN with friends, it's not some arbitrary reason to not want the game).

No demo, review embargo, no clarification on pc recoil, taking down streams (which looked slow paced and dull to begin with) aren't good signs anyhow.
I don't care if other publishers or devs do it too, if they had nothing to hide they wouldn't.
All these statements lead me to believe you're getting the PC version, you can be 99% sure that it has LAN-support, I'm just not sure if they've said it outright.

derFeef

SneakyStephan said:
No lan support? fuck it then,what fps pretends to be competitive mp then doesn't even bother with LAN support.

(and yes, I still regularly play at LAN with friends, it's not some arbitrary reason to not want the game).

No demo, review embargo, no clarification on pc recoil, taking down streams (which looked slow paced and dull to begin with) aren't good signs anyhow.
I don't care if other publishers or devs do it too, if they had nothing to hide they wouldn't.
I am pretty sure the PC version lets you set up a LAN server at some sort and play it with your friends. There are tools out there :)

Teknoman

As for things looking boring, image everyone only being able to play as a Soldier or Engineer from TF2 at the moment.

Only when its humans v humans and lots of body types/classes/weapons in play will things get lively...I hope.

Phthisis said:
95% of games have review embargoes.

Till release day? Not likely.

Anyway, will there by a good amount of PS3 gaf buying this? Seems like a game where clans or at least some teamwork should be useful, but hopefully it is good because I need a good multi to keep me going for the summer.

Teknoman said:
As for things looking boring, image everyone only being able to play as a Soldier or Engineer from TF2 at the moment.

Only when its humans v humans and lots of body types/classes/weapons in play will things get lively...I hope.

Cmon man, you can't compare soldier to this.
You run faster in tf2, you can rocket jump and your rockets have a travel time to the target (and can be deflected).
These 3 will always keep playing soldier interesting and challenging.

I'm not even that much of a tf2 fan (though it's a really good game).
Classes and weapons are a lot more interesting gameplay wise.

Hitscan point and click weapons and slow movement are a completely different thing.

I enjoy strafejumping speed modifiers, rocket jumps and momentum applying to fps gameplay, the movement is half the game in many fps games.
Even cs lets you strafejump with a speed modifier to great effect and incorporates footstep sounds/walk modifier.

The movement here seems slow, simple and shallow,I'm aware of the smart system but that too seems shallow ,just a button you hold down that makes the game automatically manouvre you over stuff in the direction you are facing.

Perhaps the light body type will be able to do really neat stuff, but we haven't seen that yet.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Starfish_Oxide said:

Anyway, will there by a good amount of PS3 gaf buying this? Seems like a game where clans or at least some teamwork should be useful, but hopefully it is good because I need a good multi to keep me going for the summer.

I'll be buying a 360 and Brink 360 since PSN is fucked.

Starfish_Oxide said:

Actually most game reviews ARE embargoed until release day. It's definitely the exception and not the norm to have reviews out before a game is.

SneakyStephan said:
Cmon man, you can't compare soldier to this.
You run faster in tf2, you can rocket jump and your rockets have a travel time to the target (and can be deflected).
These 3 will always keep playing soldier interesting and challenging.

I'm not even that much of a tf2 fan (though it's a really good game).
Classes and weapons are a lot more interesting gameplay wise.

Hitscan point and click weapons and slow movement are a completely different thing.

I enjoy strafejumping speed modifiers, rocket jumps and momentum applying to fps gameplay, the movement is half the game in many fps games.
Even cs lets you strafejump with a speed modifier to great effect and incorporates footstep sounds/walk modifier.

The movement here seems slow, simple and shallow,I'm aware of the smart system but that too seems shallow ,just a button you hold down that makes the game automatically manouvre you over stuff in the direction you are facing.

Perhaps the light body type will be able to do really neat stuff, but we haven't seen that yet.
Then you're not aware that if you're any sort of self-respecting gamer you'll be doing all the SMART stuff manually which will give you an edge in movement if you do it right.

*Also ALL pre-order weapons are confirmed to be re-skins with different sounds, no unique stats. This is a good thing.
Q: Do the pre-order weapons have their own, unique stats, or do they share the stats of other weapons, with a different model and skin to represent it? How do they balance out against the stock weapons?

A: All of the pre-order weapons mimic the stats of guns that are already in the game. The pre-order weapons do have new looks and in some cases new sounds. Also, since this has been asked quite a bit, if you have multiple pre-orders codes for different offers, you can use all of them in one copy of Brink to get all of the goods.

steadfast

Just this year, off the top of my head, Dead Space 2, Portal 2, and Mortal Kombat all had embargoes. It's becoming the norm instead of the exception.

People need to really get over the embargo thing; it's meaningless.

Grayman

Embargo's are normal but usually exclusive reviews with perfect scores are released early.

Danne-Danger said:
All these statements lead me to believe you're getting the PC version, you can be 99% sure that it has LAN-support, I'm just not sure if they've said it outright.
Being a steamworks game you will probably have to be online to play locally though.

Grayman said:
Being a steamworks game you will probably have to be online to play locally though.

I don't care about having to be logged in to steam, it's about being able to all play on one router so we can enjoy 0 latency 0 packet loss 0 choke.

That's the whole and sole reason to have a LAN.
Playing a shooter in a LAN is so much more responsive/fun than online.

Grayman

SneakyStephan said:
I don't care about having to be logged in to steam, it's about being able to all play on one router so we can enjoy 0 latency 0 packet loss 0 choke.

That's the whole and sole reason to have a LAN.
You will get that for sure because the server app is freely available.

Embargoes would mean a lot more if game reviews were actually well written, detailed, thorough, or insightful instead of just regurgitating all the stuff you could find on the back of the box.

f0rk

steadfast said:
Just this year, off the top of my head, Dead Space 2, Portal 2, and Mortal Kombat all had embargoes. It's becoming the norm instead of the exception.

People need to really get over the embargo thing; it's meaningless.

It's annoying when there's pre order bonus content.

demolitio

Teknopathetic said:
Embargoes would mean a lot more if game reviews were actually well written, detailed, thorough, or insightful instead of just regurgitating all the stuff you could find on the back of the box.
Sad but true. They're better for learning what features a game has while they don't get down to the gritty details too often. It's like a summary of what the game is mixed with only one or two criticisms instead of really judging a game.

derFeef said:
Bethesda (Zeni Max) also has taken down A LOT of youtube stuff. Yeah, I don't get it as well. Even Bungie allowed streams of Reach from people who got it early.

People knew how to play Reach because of extensive time with Halo 3 and the Reach beta. It sounds to me like nobody knows how to play Brink yet and are doing a good job of making the game look bad (or at least boring). It doesn't have me concerned about the quality of the game overall, but it actually is making me worry about its longevity - if it's really that difficult to play, how long will the community stay active (from a console player's perspective)?

X-Frame

divisionbyzorro said:
People knew how to play Reach because of extensive time with Halo 3 and the Reach beta. It sounds to me like nobody knows how to play Brink yet and are doing a good job of making the game look bad (or at least boring). It doesn't have me concerned about the quality of the game overall, but it actually is making me worry about its longevity - if it's really that difficult to play, how long will the community stay active (from a console player's perspective)?

If they want to remove streams and videos from early buyers you would assume they'd have content to replace it with.

I'm still baffled as to why they didn't get SD to play their own game and record it while in-house or at a gaming event playing against other players, maybe with some commentary?

Just like Halo Reach. And Brink is a brand new IP .. so there should be an overload of quality content pre-release, not just low-quality streams of poor players.

Crazy man.

Proven

X-Frame said:
If they want to remove streams and videos from early buyers you would assume they'd have content to replace it with.

I'm still baffled as to why they didn't get SD to play their own game and record it while in-house or at a gaming event playing against other players, maybe with some commentary?

Just like Halo Reach. And Brink is a brand new IP .. so there should be an overload of quality content pre-release, not just low-quality streams of poor players.

Crazy man.

The only thing I can come up with is that they're too busy preparing for E3 or a post release demo and figure it's not worth the time or effort at this point.

Teknopathetic said:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/

At least there is one site with a few writers who can put together an interesting piece now and then, of the same quality you used to get in the best magazines before the interwebs made them close doors.

Top Bottom