• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Genesis Knight said:
Well having been a big supporter of Brink so far, and having it preordered, I hope I can dodge being called a troll when I give my impressions after about four hours of play. I guess I'm going to point out problems to help people decide if they want to still get it - I think the game's strong points (art, well thought out objectives and attributes) are fairly obvious and SD should be commended.

- The game is pointless against AI in SP mode. Even on hard the enemies are just a shooting gallery. It could be they upgrade as you rank up, though. Hard to tell. Don't Care

- The guns feel identical. You start off with literally 16 or so AR and SMGs, all of which are indistinguishable laser guns with little recoil. This sucks

- Animations are as bad as expected - you'll have five guys in a row all doing the same 'heal me!' animation at the same speed. Meh, not sure if care

- SMART is pretty clunky with a medium body type but a lot better with light. Creative players will have a lot of fun sliding and leaning and climbing. From what I can tell Mirror's Edge did it better in terms of responsiveness and 'feel of control'. Cool. I actually like this, about the game and body types.

Overall I was pretty disappointed, but I'm holding out hope that as I progress and get more abilities (and play against real people) things will get better. The ideas are all there, but the game seems rushed.

I'll be going to bed shortly; if you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best.

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts on the game.

Well that doesnt sound good at all...especially if everyone is just going to go with light body.

I bet light body types will be easy to take down with a medium of heavy body type in a straight gunfight in a MP game.

Danne-Danger said:
Yup, though I haven't gotten mine from co.uk yet.
Thanks for the answers guys. I too didn't get a key so I was wondering. I also got the useless e-mail when I clicked send info btw.

derFeef said:
I bought it on Steam. Me idiot.
That would've been double the price for me. I feel sorry for you :(. At least you have already pre-loaded.

Teknoman said:
About the recoil, did the devs say this was going to work differently on PC?

They sort of vaguely said that certain things would be adjusted but I'm not sure if they ever answered directly that recoil would change.

Genesis Knight said:
Well having been a big supporter of Brink so far, and having it preordered, I hope I can dodge being called a troll when I give my impressions after about four hours of play. I guess I'm going to point out problems to help people decide if they want to still get it - I think the game's strong points (art, well thought out objectives and attributes) are fairly obvious and SD should be commended.

- The game is pointless against AI in SP mode. Even on hard the enemies are just a shooting gallery. It could be they upgrade as you rank up, though. Hard to tell.

- The guns feel identical. You start off with literally 16 or so AR and SMGs, all of which are indistinguishable laser guns with little recoil.

- Animations are as bad as expected - you'll have five guys in a row all doing the same 'heal me!' animation at the same speed.

- SMART is pretty clunky with a medium body type but a lot better with light. Creative players will have a lot of fun sliding and leaning and climbing. From what I can tell Mirror's Edge did it better in terms of responsiveness and 'feel of control'.

Overall I was pretty disappointed, but I'm holding out hope that as I progress and get more abilities (and play against real people) things will get better. The ideas are all there, but the game seems rushed.

I'll be going to bed shortly; if you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best.

Console or PC? Let's hope some of this stuff gets worked out with a patch.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Console or PC? Let's hope some of this stuff gets worked out with a patch.

Should have specified but yes, console. Really doubt SD is sitting on better animations, AI, and different gun types for the PC crowd though.

Genesis Knight said:
They sort of vaguely said that certain things would be adjusted but I'm not sure if they ever answered directly that recoil would change.

oh, if you're still online. How does weapon modding work? what do you need to do to unlock different mods? in all the streams i've seen today i haven't seen anyone add a mod to a weapon.

Oh god, I can see by the objectives already that clan play will be a must.

Edit: I have to say, I see the recoil issue but the movement issue looks pretty smoth to me not wonky at all.

Grayman

"- Animations are as bad as expected - you'll have five guys in a row all doing the same 'heal me!' animation at the same speed."

could that one just be a bot issue where the ai all wants a heal at the same time?

weekend_warrior said:
oh, if you're still online. How does weapon modding work? what do you need to do to unlock different mods? in all the streams i've seen today i haven't seen anyone add a mod to a weapon.

Really strange system. The only way you unlock weapon mods is by playing the Challenge Mode. There's 4 types of challenges (Parkour, shooting, etc) and you do each challenge three times with increasing difficulty. The first two runs unlock weapon mods, and the last is just for a high score for the leaderboards.

What's crazy is you can get basically all the weapon mods in a hour or two by playing the 1st and 2nd rounds of each of the four types of challenges (which are fairly easy and timed to boot, so they can't take long).

So, in short: in less than eight challenge missions and you have all the weapon gear you'll ever have.

Then you can go into your customization menu and stick stuff on to them, but it's a bit of a downer because the guns (mostly) all have the same four mods (again probably because all the guns are practically identical ARs and SMGs.)

Teknoman said:
Im not really worried about recoil, just whether or not the SMART system works as intended.

Well, I don't really care about recoil itself as much as the fact that 85% of the guns have identical recoil and indistinguishable fire speed and clip size.

Grayman said:
could that one just be a bot issue where the ai all wants a heal at the same time?

No, if a group of guys gets hit by a grenade or shot in quick succession, they all lie there looping the 'revive me' animation in perfect sync. Doesn't matter if you're a bot or a human, you'll do it too. This is just one example; the animations were called bad early on in the trailers and nothing's changed in the retail game.

Genesis Knight said:
Well, I don't really care about recoil itself as much as the fact that 85% of the guns have identical recoil and indistinguishable fire speed and clip size.

How many different shotguns? Thats all I care about.

weekend_warrior said:
How many different shotguns? Thats all I care about.

I saw one for the medium body, maybe two. It could be that the heavy types get more.

For the medium body there's basically two single fire rifles, one (two?) shotgun(s), five pistols or so, and there rest are SMGs and ARs.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the shotgun attachments.

Genesis Knight said:
I saw one for the medium body, maybe two. It could be that the heavy types get more.

For the medium body there's basically two single fire rifles, one (two?) shotgun(s), five pistols or so, and there rest are SMGs and ARs.

what kind of attachments can be added to shotguns?

Genesis Knight said:
The game is pointless against AI in SP mode. Even on hard the enemies are just a shooting gallery. It could be they upgrade as you rank up, though. Hard to tell.

It has been said that the bots rank up with your rank, correct? But do they actually use tactics as they rank up?

Genesis Knight said:
The guns feel identical. You start off with literally 16 or so AR and SMGs, all of which are indistinguishable laser guns with little recoil.

Do they actually have little recoil, or just no visual recoil? I've seen increased reticule bloom as you hold the trigger down; does this have a noticeable effect on accuracy? I'm not so much concerned with visual as with actual.

And there really is no difference between the guns other than skins? Ammo count, weapon damage, etc, are all the same? Disappointing if true.

Genesis Knight said:
Animations are as bad as expected - you'll have five guys in a row all doing the same 'heal me!' animation at the same speed.

That doesn't so much concern me, but what about movement animations? Do those look good?

Genesis Knight said:
SMART is pretty clunky with a medium body type but a lot better with light. Creative players will have a lot of fun sliding and leaning and climbing. From what I can tell Mirror's Edge did it better in terms of responsiveness and 'feel of control'.

Well, Mirror's Edge was entirely manual; this is automatic, correct? Does it at least "work right" in the sense that you can go where you want it to go?

Also - about how long does it take to rank up?

Teknoman

Gun stats from trailer:

jn49nm.png

Maybe the guns all have close stats but exclusive attachments?

I guess its like Bulletstorm/Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 where guns dont have visual recoil, but crosshair spread?

Rad-

Genesis Knight said:

- The game is pointless against AI in SP mode. Even on hard the enemies are just a shooting gallery. It could be they upgrade as you rank up, though. Hard to tell.

- The guns feel identical. You start off with literally 16 or so AR and SMGs, all of which are indistinguishable laser guns with little recoil.

- Animations are as bad as expected - you'll have five guys in a row all doing the same 'heal me!' animation at the same speed.

- SMART is pretty clunky with a medium body type but a lot better with light. Creative players will have a lot of fun sliding and leaning and climbing. From what I can tell Mirror's Edge did it better in terms of responsiveness and 'feel of control'.

Kind of expected the rest but guns feeling identical is a shame.

Anerythristic said:
No recoil, there are very different fire rates and gun power so far, though

I mean the stats say that on the weapons menu but the different stats don't seem readily apparent in game between ARs and SMGs. I probably just need to spend some more time getting familiar. It's certainly no COD or Battlefield in terms of variety.

divisionbyzorro said:
It has been said that the bots rank up with your rank, correct? But do they actually use tactics as they rank up?

Do they actually have little recoil, or just no visual recoil? I've seen increased reticule bloom as you hold the trigger down; does this have a noticeable effect on accuracy? I'm not so much concerned

And there really is no difference between the guns other than skins? Ammo count, weapon damage, etc, are all the same? Disappointing if true.

That doesn't so much concern me, but what about movement animations? Do those look good?

Well, Mirror's Edge was entirely manual; this is automatic, correct? Does it at least "work right" in the sense that you can go where you want it to go?

Also - about how long does it take to rank up?

1) The bots begin to use more abilities and devices as they rank up so their tactics expand as well...but they still suck at shooting as well as looking like a human. All their movements are very stuttery and procedural. They're great at reviving you and pushing for objectives though.

2) I mean there's some recoil, but I was pretty much holding down the trigger at everyone and getting away with it. There is bloom based off of what you are doing (mantling, falling, etc) as well as when you fire. The longer you fire the fewer bullets hit in general, yeah. But the guns overall are very COD-ish (BLOPS FAMAS, MW2 M4, etc).

3) Ammo count, damage, and all those things change yes - you can see that in the PR screenshots. You're taking me a bit literally here - the guns say they're different on the weapons menu and I'm sure they are, but when push comes to shove they all fire basically the same to me.

4) This is automatic or manual - hold down the SMART button or jump and slide to do the same thing. You can mostly go where you want to go when you're a light body; when you're medium there some things you might think you can climb but you can't.

5) I was ranking up once or twice every mission; I'm sure this slows down but I was at 8 after about 4 hours as I said.

Teknoman said:
Gun stats from trailer:

Maybe the guns all have close stats but exclusive attachments?

I guess its like Bulletstorm/Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 where guns dont have visual recoil, but crosshair spread?

I might have been totally misunderstanding what I was seeing but I think all the ARs have the same muzzle brake/silencer/grip/mag/speed sling/sight options - so all guns in a single class have the same add ons.

And again, there was recoil I'm sure but the impression was COD-ish laser guns.

Teknoman

I guess we should've known about challenge unlocking:

Splash Damage is doing something interesting with weapon unlocks, tying them to challenges designed to teach the game's mechanics and systems. The early levels of the challenges are easy, allowing players to jump in, learn some things, and come away with a shiny new gun. The later levels are challenging and will be tied to leaderboards and further unlocks. It's reminiscent of StarCraft II's challenge system for teaching multiplayer mechanics. Splash Damage CEO Paul Wedgwood admits that it is basically "bribing" players with weapon unlocks, but it will help teach players the game.

- From the Shacknews preview.

divisionbyzorro said:
At least there's that. And I should have asked this earlier: any sort of sniper weapon?

Pretty sure the Light Rifles outfitted with essentially an ACOG scope are the snipers, per se. You wouldn't really want any more zoom from the maps I saw, though. It was all pretty tight quarters.

EDIT: @Teknoman - I thought it was going to be like that but the way it ended up shipping was to give away all the upgrades in the first two rounds of the challenge. It's definitely like SD wanted you to have all the weapon mods from the start and just dumped them on you in return for essentially taking some tutorials. The challenge mode doesn't feel like full on game mode, though, because its so tiny - only 4 challenge 'rooms'!

XeroSauce

Genesis Knight said:
All the ones I used were fully automatic. There were two single-shot rifles (I believe the 'Light Rifles').

I understand two semi-autos, there's only so much you can do with them, but 1-2 shotties only? That's really disappointing.

XeroSauce said:
I understand two semi-autos, there's only so much you can do with them, but 1-2 shotties only? That's really disappointing.

I hope that the heavy/light body types have different weapons or something. Didn't get a good look at the light but the heavy had a few weapons the medium didn't.

EDIT: I'm out; goodnight GAF.

Proven

Heavies get access to all of the weapons in the game. Lightweights get access to less weapons than the Medium and Heavy classes.

Grayman

Proven said:
Heavies get access to all of the weapons in the game. Lightweights get access to less weapons than the Medium and Heavy classes.
For great justice I will use a pistol and submachinegun when I play a heavy.

Genesis Knight said:
Pretty sure the Light Rifles outfitted with essentially an ACOG scope are the snipers, per se. You wouldn't really want any more zoom from the maps I saw, though. It was all pretty tight quarters.

EDIT: @Teknoman - I thought it was going to be like that but the way it ended up shipping was to give away all the upgrades in the first two rounds of the challenge. It's definitely like SD wanted you to have all the weapon mods from the start and just dumped them on you in return for essentially taking some tutorials. The challenge mode doesn't feel like full on game mode, though, because its so tiny - only 4 challenge 'rooms'!

That doesn't really bother me too much; weapon mods seem pretty key in terms of balance, so they either had to rank-gate them, or just give them all away. I much prefer that system over attachment grinding a la BC2 or MW2.

Anerythristic said:
Oh god, I can see by the objectives already that clan play will be a must.

Edit: I have to say, I see the recoil issue but the movement issue looks pretty smoth to me not wonky at all.
I played both ET and QW on public servers and apart from the occasional idiots had a good time. If you want to do really sophisticated stuff clan play is a necessity of course.

demolitio

That last stream was the first one that got me more interested in the game. He wasn't the best player, but the people playing on the other streams were downright terrible to the point where it made the game look completely boring. Mind you, I know it's early levels with bots and all that, but it's hard to get a feel for a game when the guy you're watching can't get more than 5 kills a match or even use the ironsights. The last stream was great quality too.

In case anyone missed what I posted earlier in the thread:

For those of you who work at GameStop, Walmart, Best Buy, or Target, you can get a copy of Brink FOR FREE from Bethesda's site. Here's the link: https://insiders.bethsoft.com/register.php

I found the deal on SD and figured I'd post here since I didn't think it was on here yet. Just enter some work information and they'll send you a copy.

I really wish I still worked at Best Buy now (or any job period) but I had to quit due to medical issues so this was perfect fucking timing...lol

Well, if any of you have two jobs at those retailers, you know who to give a deal to! :D

Proven

Watching the bifuteki guy... he seems to become more and more single minded the further it gets into the night. He's almost as bad as some of the earlier streamers now.

zlatko

Banned
Gaiz...you gaiz....GAIZ!

It's 5/8/2011 and Brink comes out 5/10/2011. I'm getting it early in the morning, so that means only 1 day and some hours to survive. :D :D :D

outsida

Proven said:
Watching the bifuteki guy... he seems to become more and more single minded the further it gets into the night. He's almost as bad as some of the earlier streamers now.
He keeps Rambo'ing and dying in under 10 seconds lol...

Proven

It's because he switched to a light character. Got to level 7 and got all excited about it or something. Now he's dying every few seconds. But I don't want to bother getting an account just to tell him why he's stupid.

Light characters fall down if even sneezed at. Even Medium characters can survive a grenade. It's so irritating to watch. If you're not super sneaky and know the map well, you'll die. A lot.

Well, it's good to know that once I get to R2 I'll have easier idiots to fight.

Tokubetsu

zlatko said:
Gaiz...you gaiz....GAIZ!

It's 5/8/2011 and Brink comes out 5/10/2011. I'm getting it early in the morning, so that means only 1 day and some hours to survive. :D :D :D

5/9 if you're on PST.

derFeef

Tokubetsu said:
5/9 if you're on PST.
5/13 if you are from Europe or Australia. It hurts.
Thanks for the impressions Genesis - still want "real world" impressions with the day1 patch applied and of cource from the PC version.

Rahk

Here's the first video I've seen of decent gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slS-K3mXCZo

Only watched the first couple minutes so far, but it appears he actually uses and moves between cover and makes use of the SMART system instead of just charging in then standing in one spot and shooting dudes.

Also has 720p.

outsida

Rahk said:

Only watched the first couple minutes so far, but it appears he actually uses and moves between cover and makes use of the SMART system instead of just charging in then standing in one spot and shooting dudes.

Also has 720p.
Yeah this guy was playing as if he had some clue about what was going on and how the SMART system worked.

Weenerz

Banned
The voice acting I've seen so far is horrible, but the gameplay is becoming more and more interesting. The gun mechanics seem to be pretty solid.

Proven said:
It's because he switched to a light character. Got to level 7 and got all excited about it or something. Now he's dying every few seconds. But I don't want to bother getting an account just to tell him why he's stupid.

Light characters fall down if even sneezed at. Even Medium characters can survive a grenade. It's so irritating to watch. If you're not super sneaky and know the map well, you'll die. A lot.

I actually really like hearing that. I just hope that the maps are designed with enough flank routes and paths that only light characters can access to give them the necessary advantage in terms of speed.

Now I'm wonder how effective a light-body suicide bomber would be. :lol

Teknoman said:
I guess we should've known about challenge unlocking:

Splash Damage is doing something interesting with weapon unlocks, tying them to challenges designed to teach the game's mechanics and systems. The early levels of the challenges are easy, allowing players to jump in, learn some things, and come away with a shiny new gun. The later levels are challenging and will be tied to leaderboards and further unlocks. It's reminiscent of StarCraft II's challenge system for teaching multiplayer mechanics. Splash Damage CEO Paul Wedgwood admits that it is basically "bribing" players with weapon unlocks, but it will help teach players the game.

- From the Shacknews preview.

Maybe I should just give up on multiplayer shooters now, because I really don't care for the meta game design that's so prevalent in shooters these days.

Nocebo

Rahk said:

Also has 720p.
This guy definitely makes the game look like a ton of fun to play! And the medic abilities look so overpowered, but maybe that's just me.

The other streams were kind of a downer but this one raised my hype levels to max once more. :D

Top Bottom