• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Teknoman

Personally I dont understand how people are finding it so hard to play, unless its just preview streamer syndrome, where people who get the game earlier act like they've never touched a controller/keyboard. Even when genres such as platformers are leaked early, you have people jumping dead into pits, running right into enemies, etc.

Makoto

Teknoman said:
Personally I dont understand how people are finding it so hard to play, unless its just preview streamer syndrome, where people who get the game earlier act like they've never touched a controller/keyboard. Even when genres such as platformers are leaked early, you have people jumping dead into pits, running right into enemies, etc.
I still can't forget that watchgamesearly stream. For about a minute the guy looked at the respawn screen and thought a medic was the ONLY method of respawning. After looking at the stream chat, he finally realized he was able to respawn by choosing the reinforcements option right next to the medic/revive option.

That's not even the most embarrassing part. After that realization, he had the audacity to criticize the stream chat by saying something along the lines of, "Well, if I didn't skip the introductory video, then maybe I would have known about respawning!" Alluding to the fact that the stream chat pressured him into skipping the long introduction video to Brink. My palm went right through my face, that shit blew my mind.

Tokubetsu

Teknoman said:

It's not that they find it hard to play, it's that it doesn't appeal to their tastes and how they're used to playing. This is 100% team game. In that interview someone posted the dev even went so far as to say they don't even really track K:D ratio. This game is about getting to the objective. Plain, and simple. Everything you should be doing should be getting you and your team closer to the objective. They're also taking their mentality of movement from games like CoD into this so they aren't taking vertical space into account.

XeroSauce

vidal said:
I still can't forget that watchgamesearly stream. For about a minute the guy looked at the respawn screen and thought a medic was the ONLY method of respawning. After looking at the stream chat, he finally realized he was able to respawn by choosing the reinforcements option right next to the medic/revive option.

That's not even the most embarrassing part. After that realization, he had the audacity to criticize the stream chat by saying something along the lines of, "Well, if I didn't skip the introductory video, then maybe I would have known about respawning!" Alluding to the fact that the stream chat pressured him into skipping the long introduction video to Brink. My palm went right through my face, that shit blew my mind.

It's shit like that that make me wonder who the fuck is in charge of picking people to play during streams and gameplay reveals.

Tokubetsu

Granted we haven't played it yet either so it remains to be seen if it's good (for us?) but I sincerely hope, with the success of TF2, that his game finds an audience. Even if this said audience is only on PC. *insert joke about hat collecting simulator here*

X-Frame said:
If they want to remove streams and videos from early buyers you would assume they'd have content to replace it with.

I'm still baffled as to why they didn't get SD to play their own game and record it while in-house or at a gaming event playing against other players, maybe with some commentary?

Just like Halo Reach. And Brink is a brand new IP .. so there should be an overload of quality content pre-release, not just low-quality streams of poor players.

Crazy man.

On this I agree. Full gameplay matches would do wonders for the marketing for this game.

abundant

vidal said:
He used that same excuse when he tried to find out how to self heal himself, which was funny because there was a little message underneath his health bar that told him to hit L3 to self buff.

Detox

I remember some full gameplay vids with commentary Bungie done for Reach. They worked wonders to get me and a lot of guys hyped for the game. One particular favourite of mine was on Gamesradar. I'm not 100% sure but I think Black Ops had a event where some notable members of the COD community recorded tons of footage and commentated over them. This was all people needed to get hyped for BO not some previews in a magazine.

If that kind of marketing is good enough for Halo and COD, I don't see why it can't be used for Brink. Especially as it is proposing a new style of play, people want to see the potential of it's multiplayer. Unfortunately none of Bethesda's videos have shown anything to suggest that this could potentially be a great game. Instead they've focused on tutorial videos that explain mechanics but don't really show how they affect the flow of a match.

I'm just going to throw this out there again: anybody want to trade pre-order bonuses with me? I'll be getting the 360 "Psycho Pack" (I believe this is from Rage?), and would much rather have the Fallout (preferred) or Doom (secondary) bonuses. If anyone's up to trade, just shoot me a PM.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
i never heard of the game and i just saw a commercial. looked really good. what kind of game is brink? i should probably look it up but im lazy.

Tokubetsu

DR3AM said:
i never heard of the game and i just saw a commercial. looked really good. what kind of game is brink? i should probably look it up but im lazy.

Team oriented objective based game.

Teknoman

DR3AM said:

Mirrors Edge + Team Fortress + Enemy Territory.

weekend_warrior said:
You go in with little expectations- and are highly disappointed?
You expected the game to play like a cross between 2 multiplayer games- and you don't like the like the single player story mode?

And then you disappear from the thread before leaving a single coherent impression. Feels like a troll to me.

Not a troll. I just forget to go back into threads once I exit them.

Just to clarify a bit better, I know that Borderlands and TF2 are games geared to multiplayer. I also knew very little about Brink beforehand. All I was aware of was something about the arc and having the option to fight against or fight for the revolution. At this point, I expected some form of narrative driven single player campaign. I'm sure anyone who goes into this game knowing what to expect should be pleased.

Teknoman

-htownplaya- said:
Not a troll. I just forget to go back into threads once I exit them.

Just to clarify a bit better, I know that Borderlands and TF2 are games geared to multiplayer. I also knew very little about Brink beforehand. All I was aware of was something about the arc and having the option to fight against or fight for the revolution. At this point, I expected some form of narrative driven single player campaign. I'm sure anyone who goes into this game knowing what to expect should be pleased.

How do the controls feel? SMART movement easy to get used to?

Teknoman said:
How do the controls feel? SMART movement easy to get used to?

Took me some time to get used to knowing what moves I could actually pull off. I got a feel for Mirrors Edge alot faster than in this game.

Also, I don't feel like each of the classes has a distinctive feel to them. In Team Fortress 2, each of the classes is completely unique and determines the way you play the game. Not really feeling that with Brink. When I'm a medic in Brink I'm still blasting everyone away with the same guns as any of the other classes, only difference is that I'm able to throw a syringe at someone.

classicdms

Neo Member
Man, I've been jumping in and out of TF2 for a dopamine effect til I can get my hands on the real shit. A stream would be so good right about now.

BurningNad

I went ahead and got it from D2D. Preloading on Steam now. For 40 bucks I couldn't pass it up, despite being apprehensive about it earlier. I think it'll be solid.

I bought the game on D2D, got the key and it's downloading now. Will the preorder items show up automatically in game for me? I don't have to enter another key of some kind to get the preorder stuff right?

Tokubetsu

nismogrendel said:
I bought the game on D2D, got the key and it's downloading now. Will the preorder items show up automatically in game for me? I don't have to enter another key of some kind to get the preorder stuff right?

No idea yet but you'll probably have to put in another key for the pre-order shit. At least I'm kinda hoping that's the case so I can trade for a doom or fallout code.

Pride

I have seen a ton of ads for this game lately but up until ~30 days ago it didnt seem to have much buzz.

I would like to see some new IP's take off like AA & Borderlands did 2 years ago but so far BulletStorm and HomeFront havent set the world on fire (although HF faired much better than BS).

I think I might have to jump in on this at the last minute. I've been craving a new multiplayer FPS to play. Hopefully I can get my friend to pick it up as well.

After days of conflicting whether to day 1 this or not, I preordered it. Want to get in the online MP action at it's peak, knowing me if I don't get it now, 3 years later I still will have this in the backlog.
I impulse day-1'd Borderlands and that paid off well, this looks like a similar game in many aspects.

Let's hope PSN is back by Tuesday...

taoofjord

CrookedRain said:
I think I might have to jump in on this at the last minute. I've been craving a new multiplayer FPS to play. Hopefully I can get my friend to pick it up as well.

Go grab Section 8: Prejudice while you're at it. It's amazing. Between it and Brink you'll be covered!

XeroSauce

CrookedRain said:

It's good to see people getting in on this, regardless of platform.

taoofjord said:
Everyone, check this out, it gives you a breakdown of all the skills in the game -- SUPER helpful:

http://brink.wikia.com/wiki/Abilities

Some of this stuff seems like must-haves, especially Battle Hardened, Silent Running, and Supply Max Increase/Resupply Rate Increase (I imagine they have the same net effect?).

Ugh. If you really can only purchase about half of these abilities, there are some tough choices to be made!

Klocker

looks at feed... is it just me or is the animation janky?

overall gameply and lighting looks good although the guy has shown alomst no cool movements

Lunchbox

Banned
switched my free gears3 preorder i got from bulletstorm to this today

they surprisingly had a playable kiosk with brink on it. i was on a run and couldnt wait for the other kid to finish playing, ill try sunday or monday. check your gamestop, they might have it too if you wanna see how it plays

From the livestream there is a vote for next map option in between rounds. There are 8 maps to choose from. Container City, Aquarium, Shipyard, Security Tower, Reactor, Refuel, Terminal and Resort.

"From the livestream there is a vote for next map option in between rounds"

Vote map.

Halle-fucking-lejuh.

Things I shouldn't have to worry about, yet I do.

Well having been a big supporter of Brink so far, and having it preordered, I hope I can dodge being called a troll when I give my impressions after about four hours of play. I guess I'm going to point out problems to help people decide if they want to still get it - I think the game's strong points (art, well thought out objectives and attributes) are fairly obvious and SD should be commended.

- The game is pointless against AI in SP mode. Even on hard the enemies are just a shooting gallery. It could be they upgrade as you rank up, though. Hard to tell.

- The guns feel identical. You start off with literally 16 or so AR and SMGs, all of which are indistinguishable laser guns with little recoil.

- Animations are as bad as expected - you'll have five guys in a row all doing the same 'heal me!' animation at the same speed.

- SMART is pretty clunky with a medium body type but a lot better with light. Creative players will have a lot of fun sliding and leaning and climbing. From what I can tell Mirror's Edge did it better in terms of responsiveness and 'feel of control'.

Overall I was pretty disappointed, but I'm holding out hope that as I progress and get more abilities (and play against real people) things will get better. The ideas are all there, but the game seems rushed.

I'll be going to bed shortly; if you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best.

Genesis Knight said:
- SMART is pretty clunky with a medium body type but a lot better with light. Creative players will have a lot of fun sliding and leaning and climbing. From what I can tell Mirror's Edge did it better in terms of responsiveness and 'feel of control'.

You playing on console? Could you give a quick rundown of control layout? Is there a separate jump button, how mush of movement is controled using the SMART button?

Palmer_v1

Anerythristic said:
Ooooh it leaked on 360 or PC? Some stores broke street date?

There's apparently a 360 review copy leaked, according to the chat on one of these streams. This guy is playing while logged into XBL. Is that possible with a modded console and pirated game?

weekend_warrior said:
You playing on console? Could you give a quick rundown of control layout? Is there a separate jump button, how mush of movement is controled using the SMART button?

I am playing on console, but the wonkiness has nothing to do with the method of control input and instead about how the collision detection works on interactive surfaces. The vaulting/catching/climbing always happens a little later than you'd expect, and the canned first person animations don't mesh well with the real motion, you so don't feel like you're really freerunning.

The SMART button handles absolutely everything if you use it, and it is the same button as sprint so it's even easier. Hold the SMART/Sprint button down and you basically will auto-run-mantle-climb-slide-wallrun and you just steer yourself to find the appropriate routes.

There are separate jump and crouch buttons, though. You can use those to manually perform all the stuff SMART does, but the glitches in collision detection and such are a lot more important since timing is more essential.

I still had a bunch of fun running around and taking shortcuts!

Palmer_v1 said:
There's apparently a 360 review copy leaked, according to the chat on one of these streams. This guy is playing while logged into XBL. Is that possible with a modded console and pirated game?

Sure. He probably has his Xbox firmware flashed and just burned off a copy of the game.

Teknoman

Genesis Knight said:
Well having been a big supporter of Brink so far, and having it preordered, I hope I can dodge being called a troll when I give my impressions after about four hours of play. I guess I'm going to point out problems to help people decide if they want to still get it - I think the game's strong points (art, well thought out objectives and attributes) are fairly obvious and SD should be commended.

- The game is pointless against AI in SP mode. Even on hard the enemies are just a shooting gallery. It could be they upgrade as you rank up, though. Hard to tell.

- The guns feel identical. You start off with literally 16 or so AR and SMGs, all of which are indistinguishable laser guns with little recoil.

- Animations are as bad as expected - you'll have five guys in a row all doing the same 'heal me!' animation at the same speed.

Overall I was pretty disappointed, but I'm holding out hope that as I progress and get more abilities (and play against real people) things will get better. The ideas are all there, but the game seems rushed.

I'll be going to bed shortly; if you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best.

Well that doesnt sound good at all...especially if everyone is just going to go with light body.

Top Bottom