• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Amir0x

Banned
This sounds like an amazing PC multiplayer experience.

RTCW/Enemy Territory is my favorite multiplayer FPS of all time. This looks to capture the essential spirit of those games and I am dying to get my hands on it.

derFeef

I want to see Heavy bodytype gameplay. Light looks fun but I am too old for the fast movements (can't play scout for shit in TF2) ;)

Amir0x said:
This sounds like an amazing PC multiplayer experience.

RTCW/Enemy Territory is my favorite multiplayer FPS of all time. This looks to capture the essential spirit of those games and I am dying to get my hands on it.
Now thats something, Ami in my Steam list!

zlatko

Banned
Bossman said:
Those bots sure are stupid. Most of the time they just stand still and can't hit anything.

They are on easy in like every video we've seen. No one has been setting them on hard, because they completely fuck shit up.

Phthisis

Starfish_Oxide said:
Till release day? Not likely.

Anyway, will there by a good amount of PS3 gaf buying this? Seems like a game where clans or at least some teamwork should be useful, but hopefully it is good because I need a good multi to keep me going for the summer.

Dude, I work in games. The most common of all review embargoes is release day. Brink, as a matter of fact, is up at 12:01 AM PST on Monday night (technically Tuesday morning, ship day).

The only times games don't have review embargoes is if the publisher is really pushing for publicity pre-launch or if there's a deal arranged where the score is good and the publisher allows you to post it early.

panda21

Rahk said:
Here's the first video I've seen of decent gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slS-K3mXCZo

Only watched the first couple minutes so far, but it appears he actually uses and moves between cover and makes use of the SMART system instead of just charging in then standing in one spot and shooting dudes.

Also has 720p.

that looks fun but about half of the times he is trying to use the parkour he isn't able to. also the move where you appear to dive head first into someones feet and it knocks them flat looks kind of dumb

Amir0x

Banned
derFeef said:
I want to see Heavy bodytype gameplay. Light looks fun but I am too old for the fast movements (can't play scout for shit in TF2) ;)

Now thats something, Ami in my Steam list!

are you on my friend list or...? Not sure if I added you or what your nick is on Steam

Nocebo

panda21 said:
that looks fun but about half of the times he is trying to use the parkour he isn't able to. also the move where you appear to dive head first into someones feet and it knocks them flat looks kind of dumb
The only time I expected it to work when it didn't is when he tried to go over the railings at the beginning of the clip. Other than that he tried to go over walls that were way too high most of the time.

Tokubetsu

panda21 said:

It's a slide.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rahk said:

Only watched the first couple minutes so far, but it appears he actually uses and moves between cover and makes use of the SMART system instead of just charging in then standing in one spot and shooting dudes.

Also has 720p.

I love the part at 7:22 where he wall kicks away to reload.

Rahk

Nocebo said:
The only time I expected it to work when it didn't is when he tried to go over the railings at the beginning of the clip. Other than that he tried to go over walls that were way too high most of the time.
Yeah, looks like he only just unlocked the light class since he was level 7, so I'm guessing he was only just figuring out how high you can go and whatnot.

I'll agree that the slide does look kind of silly in first person though since you can't see your legs.

Ryuuga

Banned
I still want to check this game out, but I can't figure out why I find it so unappealing in its current state versus how it looked during the initial showing.

Nocebo

AwesomeSauce said:
"Mucho bad guys spotted!"
I hope there's an option to turn off certain auto-notifications. The "Mucho bad guys spotted" and some others were way too frequent in my opinion.

Salsa

not to mention that it doesnt mean anything in spanish

gettin tired of the old "NO PROBLEMO" badly spoken spanish stuff. Doesnt help at all. Why not just get it right ?

"Muchos bad guys spotted"

that S changes the whole thing into a meaningful half spanish/half english phrase.

Is it that hard ? really ?

Xater

SalsaShark said:

gettin tired of the old "NO PROBLEMO" badly spoken spanish stuff. Doesnt help at all. Why not just get it right ?

that S changes the whole thing into a meaningful half spanish/half english phrase.

Apparently it is, looking at the amount of bad German I have to hear all the time.

NIN90

SalsaShark said:

mucho butthurt

Xater said:
Apparently it is, looking at the amount of bad German I have to hear all the time.

Yup.

I don't think the intent was to actually use real spanish or imply the character is of spanish descent, but for the character/voice actor to use a common cliche.

mxgt

Banned
I'm kinda glad this releases 3 days later over here. Need PC impressions and gameplay videos to decide on whether to buy or not. Thanks, Bethesda.

Salsa

Teknopathetic said:
I don't think the intent was to actually use real spanish or imply the character is of spanish descent, but for the character/voice actor to use a common cliche.

Im aware, i just think its a bad cliche

zlatko

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Im aware, i just think its a bad cliche

Well some people will like it, and to be honest I like the voice acting and the lines the voice actors have spoken from what I've heard. It's not often I heard Jamaican sounding guy in a videogame.

Sure it won't be for everyone, but you can always just load up your own music on an ipod or whatever. :p

Raide

Nocebo said:
This guy definitely makes the game look like a ton of fun to play! And the medic abilities look so overpowered, but maybe that's just me.

The other streams were kind of a downer but this one raised my hype levels to max once more. :D

Yeah, the buffs look awesome but imagine playing against human players who actually use the other buffs, turrets, use the SMART system correctly and organise with their team. Team will be trying to pick off those poor Medics. :D

The thing that drives me crazy about the voices is that EVERY SINGLE LINE of the Resistance includes the word 'brothers'. Once you notice it you can't forget it.

"Let's go, brothers!"
"Brothers, I'm taking the supply command post!"
"Fifteen minutes left, brothers! Push forward!"
"We cannot let them disarm the HE charge, brothers!"

Haha, but the Jamaican voices are awesome.

Raide

Tricky I Shadow said:
Playing with no bots and having two teams working together is gonna be a blast!

I can understand people being a little down on the A.I. but this game will be all about real players and it will be awesome.

Ourobolus

Banned
Gah, finally pre-ordered this yesterday on D2D. My last major online FPS experience was the original Unreal Tournament (I played some Halo later, but not a whole lot), so this should be good. I have TF2 from the Orange Box but never really got into it, since I'm still mainly a SP player.

I hope this turns out to be good, it looks promising so far.

Raide said:
I can understand people being a little down on the A.I. but this game will be all about real players and it will be awesome.

Yep. Who the hell is buying this to play with bots anyway? Online all the way, even with complete strangers! Fun times ahead!

Raide

Tricky I Shadow said:
Yep. Who the hell is buying this to play with bots anyway? Online all the way, even with complete strangers! Fun times ahead!

There are bound to be a few people that will pick this up on launch, finish it in a few hours and then trade it in, further complaining that the game is short and the A.I sucks.

Everyone else will be playing online and having a blast.

faridmon

Raide said:
There are bound to be a few people that will pick this up on launch, finish it in a few hours and then trade it in, further complaining that the game is short and the A.I sucks.

Everyone else will be playing online and having a blast.
I for one, will play it with bots first as I am really rubbish at FPSes. This will give me confidence when I am heading off to play it Online.

Raide

faridmon said:
I for one, will play it with bots first as I am really rubbish at FPSes. This will give me confidence when I am heading off to play it Online.

Its great training to get a hang of the classes, learn the SMART stuff and unlock some of the bits. I will be doing the same early on, then jumping in to Ninja Medic people.

-htownplaya- said:
Also, I don't feel like each of the classes has a distinctive feel to them. In Team Fortress 2, each of the classes is completely unique and determines the way you play the game. Not really feeling that with Brink. When I'm a medic in Brink I'm still blasting everyone away with the same guns as any of the other classes, only difference is that I'm able to throw a syringe at someone.
No it isn't.

Thing is though, the fact that all classes use the same weapons and classes have (largely) the same stats is what I love about ET/QW, you still have all the class abilities and perks which is a big deal but you can still hold your ground against anyone and you're not forced to play a certain way (avoid bad match-ups/pathways) because you chose the medic or whatever. You're free to play the game the way you want to play it, even more so in Brink with all the perks, weapon stuff and body types.

Raide

Danne-Danger said:
No it isn't.

Thing is though, the fact that all classes use the same weapons and classes have (largely) the same stats is what I love about ET/QW, you still have all the class abilities and perks which is a big deal but you can still hold your ground against anyone and you're not forced to play a certain way (avoid bad match-ups/pathways) because you chose the medic or whatever. You're free to play the game the way you want to play it, even more so in Brink with all the perks, weapon stuff and body types.

Agreed.

One of the things I dislike about many class based games is that the Medic usually has really poor defences when someone rushes them. Yes they have healing ability but developers usually make them really poor in actual fire-fights. Letting all Brink players have the same weapons actually means Medics stand a chance in some of these toe-to-toe fights.

Proven

Rahk said:

Also has 720p.

I actually saw this before I went to sleep. The player here is actually from MLG. The bad news is that he says this is the last video he'll be able to put out for a while. And yeah, he said most of the random jumping around was because it was his first time with a Light character, and he was testing it.

Definity

I've played it about 4 hours now and the team/classed based stuff is all there and is fun but man I'm disappointed in how the game looks (360). Tons of pop-in and every single edge in the game is rough. Overall the graphics are very blurry IMO. I know there is a patch coming on day one but I don't see how it can clear up all the issues.

The bots in the single player missions are nothing more than targets that practically stand still waiting for you to kill them so I'm hoping that online play with folks that use each class correctly will make things better.

Almost the sound alone has been enough to make me re-think my decision to wait to buy this game.

I'm not back into the realm of possibly going to buy at launch (or just after) rather than waiting to buy it down the line.

The fire fights off in the distance sound amazing.

The game also looks really fun to play if you're a 'run and gun' type of FPS player (which I am).

The only thing that is turning me off a little bit at the moment is the sheer amount of games that I've purchased in the last month or so (and the games that I've already paid for in the remainder of this year).

But if the game is good, then the game is good and if I feel I'll enjoy playing it then there will be no holding back :)

Plus... it might help bridge the time to LA Noire and Witcher 2 :p

Biggzy

Raide said:
Agreed.

One of the things I dislike about many class based games is that the Medic usually has really poor defences when someone rushes them. Yes they have healing ability but developers usually make them really poor in actual fire-fights. Letting all Brink players have the same weapons actually means Medics stand a chance in some of these toe-to-toe fights.

Which is good news because the people who i am going to be playing with have already designated me the medic: D.

JonCha

Damn the intros to the matchmaking games ate awesome. Better than having a map loading screen like CoD.

50/50 over whether I'm going to buy this game. And previously I was not interested.

Biggzy

Definity said:
I've played it about 4 hours now and the team/classed based stuff is all there and is fun but man I'm disappointed in how the game looks (360). Tons of pop-in and every single edge in the game is rough. Overall the graphics are very blurry IMO. I know there is a patch coming on day one but I don't see how it can clear up all the issues.

The bots in the single player missions are nothing more than targets that practically stand still waiting for you to kill them so I'm hoping that online play with folks that use each class correctly will make things better.

Think everyone already accepted that this game wont be up there with the gears, uncharted, killzones e.t.c in terms of looks, at least on the consoles. Its just a shame that id tech 5 wasn't ready when they were developing this game.

Raide

Biggzy said:
Think everyone already accepted that this game wont be up there with the gears, uncharted, killzones e.t.c in terms of looks, at least on the consoles. Its just a shame that id tech 5 wasn't ready when they were developing this game.

If all goes well, we might actually get a Brink 2 with idTech 5.

Will be interested to see what the Day 1 patch does for 360.

Sanic

So excited, coming back from my trip in a few hours and then it's time to settle in and bask in prelaunch media and hype!

zlatko

Banned
JonCha said:
Damn the intros to the matchmaking games ate awesome. Better than having a map loading screen like CoD.

50/50 over whether I'm going to buy this game. And previously I was not interested.

This game will definitely have a strong community behind it. It feels a lot like how Bad Company 2 played out, and I can see the same results here for Brink.

I actually think once pro gamers get their hands on Brink that it could escalate into being a really big esport scene game similar to Halo or Counterstrike.

I've had incredible feelings about this game for so long now, and I know it will live up to the hype thanks to these early streams to help validate my excitement. Even without the day one patch the games have been running smoothly from what I've seen.

This game will be a blast and even more so when it's super fresh, because there's so many possibilities right out the gate before players find the bread and butter for each class.

You've got nothing to lose since you can always go to the b/s/t thread here on Gaf and make back like 40 bucks if in the first week you find out it isn't for you.

JOIN US BROTHER!

What one vid would you guys recommend to sell this game to someone? I have a few friends on the fence and I'd like to be able to send them one vid to get an idea of all the features.

I saw one on reddit where some guy stitched together a bunch of YT clips and gave some commentary over those, it was pretty good but I can't find it again.

zlatko

Banned
nismogrendel said:
What one vid would you guys recommend to sell this game to someone? I have a few friends on the fence and I'd like to be able to send them one vid to get an idea of all the features.

I saw one on reddit where some guy stitched together a bunch of YT clips and gave some commentary over those, it was pretty good but I can't find it again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bethesd...239838171&kw=brink trailer#p/f/10/Vp9slliNS5M

Or this:

Top Bottom