• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Reconsidering this again :|

Picked up Bad Company 2 (for the second time) and Resonance of Fate yesterday. I've got 7 days to take them back to the store for a full refund...

Proven

From the videos, I'm getting that the death lazer vibe comes from the fact that all of the weapons become waaaaay more accurate when using the iron sights. I suppose they feel that it's balanced because people will be running around a lot, but I don't like the fact that it let's you do so much damage while sniping with an SMG.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
demolitio said:
For those of you who work at GameStop, Walmart, Best Buy, or Target, you can get a copy of Brink FOR FREE from Bethesda's site. Here's the link: https://insiders.bethsoft.com/register.php

I found the deal on SD and figured I'd post here since I didn't think it was on here yet. Just enter some work information and they'll send you a copy.

I really wish I still worked at Best Buy now (or any job period) but I had to quit due to medical issues so this was perfect fucking timing...lol

Well, if any of you have two jobs at those retailers, you know who to give a deal to! :D
Is this just a PC download or can you get a console version instead? I'm asking for a friend who works at Target and wants the PS3 version.

Also, can light characters use assault rifles or are they limited to SMGs? I'd love to play a light medic in this but I tend to suck with SMGs in most games.

cackhyena

I reeeaaaaalllly want to like this one. I love the smart system thrown in. I love the art style and customization options. It just doesn't look like it's cooked enough to me. And the thing that's been bugging me the most is the environments. Aside from the slums part, the Ark looks completely uninspiring and dull to look at/play around in.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have to keep my hopes in check. I upgraded my PC recently, in part, for this game. Like Amirox, SD's previous efforts are some of my favorite MP experience. I look forward to the Steam GAF games.

Un4

I booted up the Xbox 360 version yesterday and an update was already available. After applying the patch the texture popping was still there. It was really obvious when changing weapons and the pre mission briefing where it shows all the objectives.

Un4 said:
I booted up the Xbox 360 version yesterday and an update was already available. After applying the patch the texture popping was still there. It was really obvious when changing weapons and the pre mission briefing where it shows all the objectives.

I figured it wouldn't make a difference. Sounded too good to be true.

Concept17

cackhyena said:
I reeeaaaaalllly want to like this one. I love the smart system thrown in. I love the art style and customization options. It just doesn't look like it's cooked enough to me. And the thing that's been bugging me the most is the environments. Aside from the slums part, the Ark looks completely uninspiring and dull to look at/play around in.

From what I've seen, that looks to be its strong point. But I'm looking at them in terms of multiplayer map design in addition to atmosphere.

RoboPlato said:
Is this just a PC download or can you get a console version instead? I'm asking for a friend who works at Target and wants the PS3 version.

Also, can light characters use assault rifles or are they limited to SMGs? I'd love to play a light medic in this but I tend to suck with SMGs in most games.

I'm curious about that too... also shotguns. A lightweight medic with a shotgun would be pretty fun to play.

O D I N

Un4 said:

Maybe the patch we're expecting won't be out until Tuesday?

cackhyena

Concept17 said:
From what I've seen, that looks to be its strong point. But I'm looking at them in terms of multiplayer map design in addition to atmosphere.
That seems like something you can't really know till extensive play through, though. Aesthetically, it's just unappealing for me, overall.

Proven

From a guy on the mlg forum with the strategy guide

Building Speed

Chaining SMART moves (especially vaults, wall-jumps, and slides) together is a great way to increase your travel speed. Try to figure out routes in maps that let you vault into wall-hop into landing slide. Slides inherit velocity, so building speed by chaining vaults and wall-hops together is a good way to extend the range of your slide tackles.

If you are touching the ground, your speed will always be pulled back to pedestrian amounts - hit jump before you touch the ground to "skip," maintaining your momentum. Note that overdoing this results in diminishing returns, so only use it once or twice at the most.

Your sprinting speed increases slightly the longer you do it. Not by much, but enough to make the difference in a tricky jump. Don't stop and start though; keep moving.

zlatko

Banned
CyReN said:
I know U4ix, I can ask him any questions if you guys have them from the guide.

Does the guide mention if this game is Jesus' second coming in pixel form like I had predicted? :D

derFeef

CyReN said:
I know U4ix, I can ask him any questions if you guys have them from the guide.
Would love to hear something about the different weapon behaviours. From videos and impressions it sounds like all weapons kind of feel the same, no matter if smg's or heavy mg's - modified or not.

CyReN

derFeef said:
Would love to hear something about the different weapon behaviours. From videos and impressions it sounds like all weapons kind of feel the same, no matter if smg's or heavy mg's - modified or not.

He said:
the smg's and ar's fire similarly
the main difference is the rof and damage per bullet
there are single shot and full auto rifles,as well as burst rifles
snipers have a very low rof so they will behave differently
as of right now the only benefit to the hmg's are huge ammo capacity sizes
they have a similar damage output to the ar's, but can sustain fire for much longer

(note: this is from aim convo, don't mind the format)

classicdms

Neo Member
I'm not of the mind that guns that fire conventional bullets fire all that differently anyway. Having never fired a gun, I would imagine that the weight of the thing as you fire it is what makes the difference and when we've already bitched about the animations, of course they would seem to fire similarly.

But this is me talking out of my ass. So feel free to disregard.

O D I N

Detox said:
Two patches in a week? Doubt it especially considering the time it takes for MS to certify them.

One patch that the public was made aware of.

But maybe this other patch was just something they had when they opened up the servers for review copies? :-/

Genesis Knight said:
I'd hope reviewers have been playing already...

That's what I mean. This patch that early copies are getting would be a different patch, not the one promised on day 1.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

O D I N said:

But maybe this other patch was just something they had when they opened up the servers for review copies? :-/

I'd hope reviewers have been playing already...

zlatko

Banned
O D I N said:

Does it matter too much which patch it is or isn't? The real tell tale for this games online comes Tuesday when you get that big influx of players, various regions, various internet connections, etc. Until then it doesn't matter at all which is why a lot of reviews for big name titles on the online portion should be taken with a grain of salt since all they really care about is getting their word about the game out before anyone else.

zlatko said:
Does it matter too much which patch it is or isn't? The real tell tale for this games online comes Tuesday when you get that big influx of players, various regions, various internet connections, etc. Until then it doesn't matter at all which is why a lot of reviews for big name titles on the online portion should be taken with a grain of salt since all they really care about is getting their word about the game out before anyone else.

Well, yeah it does matter because if this is the patch we were promised that's supposed to fix the pop in and it doesn't fix it, that kind of sucks. If it's some other patch then we don't gripe yet because hopefully the texture patch is still inbound.

Teknoman

Riposte said:
I think the second video sold me...

EDIT: Not sure to get it for PC or not though...

If you've got a strong enough PC, and dont know too many people getting other versions, get the PC.

zlatko

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Well, yeah it does matter because if this is the patch we were promised that's supposed to fix the pop in and it doesn't fix it, that kind of sucks. If it's some other patch then we don't gripe yet because hopefully the texture patch is still inbound.

Is there a video yet of the pop in being game breaking? I haven't seen one yet, but if you can link to me how bad it is I'd like to see.

Pop in here and there probably won't stick out to me when this game is firing at all cylinders.

Even if this patch doesn't iron out the pop-in entirely at least we know Splash is ready to support the game so I would imagine there will be more down the line if it is that cumbersome.

Saty

That 8 minute gameplay video looked below average to me. Nothing really stands out or is a made particularly well. So dunno. The HUD is too busy with point counters and the like.

All the talk when the game was first announced about fusing SP\MP\Co-Op together in some new and revolutionary way seems to just boil down to SP = MP with bots.

Teknoman

Saty said:
That 8 minute gameplay video looked below average to me. Nothing really stands out or is a made particularly well. So dunno. The HUD is too busy with point counters and the like.

All the talk when the game was first announced about fusing SP\MP\Co-Op together in some new and revolutionary way seems to just boil down to SP = MP with bots.

I think the problems with most of the gameplay videos is that people havent been taking mobility into account. Finally saw someone using the slide in the 8 minute. As far as blending the modes, I think thats just saying you can level up and unlock things in any mode you play.

I bet it'll be just like Bulletstorm, where you wont really "get" how to play it until you put your hands on it (or most early videos/demo videos have people playing like Call of Duty). Like posted earlier, staying on the move and using SMART momentum is probably the key factor. Slide to dodge bullets (initially anyway), shoot while sliding, etc.

Saty said:
Yup, all it does is let you use the same character (experience, unlocks etc.) across both MP and SP. But it was always a multiplayer focused competitive shooter, and most people knew that about the SP the instant they started talking about it. Think of the SP more as a campaign mode in a fighting game, it a distraction, filler, the meat is in player vs. player.

The marketing for this game so far has been so completely horrid it's not even funny, they have a -- on paper -- advanced MP game made for hardcore competitive players and all they're showing is SP vs. bots. I guess they're trying to ensnare some SP folks but once they figure out it's just botmatches they’re likely going to be disappointed, all they're really doing is turning people who are interested in the MP away with this stupid fucking marketing. NOBODY who cares about MP cares about bots, people online avoid bot servers like the plague, and that's what they're trying to sell the game with. Watch all the reviews from retarded gaming journalists who thought it’d have a complete SP/Co-op campaign roll in once the embargo comes down. All I see coming out of this marketing campaign is negative reviews due to skewed expectations, I think the game going to have a much tougher time in the press than it would've if they'd just focused on selling the multiplayer.

It's like they're playing to all its weakest suits, just so fucking stupid. If I were SD I’d strangle everyone involved with the marketing over at Zenimax with my bare bear hands.

And with that out of my system I can keep being excited for the 13th.

Detox

I don't mind the point counters but the game looks incredibly boring. The maps seem to be designed tightly around the obj and it is just one big chokepoint after another, no doubt the dumb AI doesn't help in this regard. There doesn't seem to be any push and pull going on at all because the maps don't seem to allow this by funnelling players into just one chokepoint after another. I don't think the class roles are being exploited enough as well. Everyone seems to just be fighting with what essentially is the same weapon re-skinned, this might have something to do with the bots but all I see is class changing according to the main obj and a couple of medics. I will wait for videos of full matches being played by humans before completely writing it off.

zlatko

Banned
Detox said:
I don't mind the point counters but the game looks incredibly boring. The maps seem to be designed tightly around the obj and it is just one big chokepoint after another, no doubt the dumb AI doesn't help in this regard. There doesn't seem to be any push and pull going on at all because the maps don't seem to allow this by funnelling players into just one chokepoint after another. I don't think the class roles are being exploited enough as well. Everyone seems to just be fighting with what essentially is the same weapon re-skinned, this might have something to do with the bots but all I see is class changing according to the main obj and a couple of medics. I will wait for videos of full matches being played by humans before completely writing it off.

It's almost as if they were playing against easy bots and not using the SMART system to find different ways around the map. Hmmmmm.

rac

Banned
zlatko said:

I have hated all the streams but this video has resold me on the game, please bethesda don't take it down.

Also I'm thinking about going either light soldier or light operative. Light soldier because I think the molotov cocktail seems like a great job at getting a jump on people and for escapes. But the operative is probably what I will try first so I don't get caught by mines, turrets, and I can disguise.

zlatko said:
Is there a video yet of the pop in being game breaking? I haven't seen one yet, but if you can link to me how bad it is I'd like to see.

I've played Brink for about four hours. It's not game breaking, but it's apparent every time the camera changes angle, you round a corner, or switch weapons.

zlatko said:
It's almost as if they were playing against easy bots and not using the SMART system to find different ways around the map. Hmmmmm.

I played the bots on Hard and it made no difference; the AI is awful.

The map looks kind of neat, and the knockdown mechanic looks good in the video, as does the ressing and the pushing/retreating it causes.

But that is some serious smart system fail in that youtube video...

This game might be best on 360 or ps3, I don't see the sliding mechanic etc make a lick of difference to dodge enemy fire on the pc, especially not with the slow movement speed.

zlatko

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
I've played Brink for about four hours. It's not game breaking, but it's apparent every time the camera changes angle, you round a corner, or switch weapons.

I played the bots on Hard and it made no difference; the AI is awful.

Do the AI bots at least do more damage when jacked up difficulty?

I remember Splash saying that the offline/co-op parts of the game were there to just train you for the online. They said something like with other FPS you play an offline campaign and you fuck shit up hard, but then you hop online and it's a completely different game. Their hope with Brink was so if you decided to just run through Security/Resistance campaign offline or with a buddy or two, then those skills will transfer over to the online.

When you think of it in that sense it's a great way for shittier players to feel less intimidated by the online, and it also caters to those guys who just like to do co-op with buddies from time to time and aren't super hard core multiplayer gamers.

I do hope then the pop in is fixed with the patch that happens Tuesday, unless that was the patch you already got. How big was it if you remember in file size?

Detox

Genesis Knight or anyone who got the game. What do you think of the maps? Do they show any promise or are they fairly linear in design with no real flanking opportunities?

Detox said:
Genesis Knight or anyone who got the game. What do you think of the maps? Do they show any promise or are they fairly linear in design with no real flanking opportunities?

Maps look good; there's more to them when they first appear but again you're going to have to be a Light Body type to take advantage of some of it. Still, there are several routes into each location for Mediums and Heavies generally - either just hallways or secondary objectives ("hack the side door"). They are more linear than the Wolf:ET maps of old, though, IMO.

zlatko said:
Do the AI bots at least do more damage when jacked up difficulty?

Definitely not - their weapons are the same. They just fire more often and more accurately, but in the same (it was called "Civil War" style earlier) cardboard cutout toe-to-toe method.

In short, I would say that Brink is intended to be an MP only game like ET but had to pretend to offer some SP to cater to market demands.

Raide

From the early developer videos, it looks like SMART will play a large roll in outflanking players. There seems to be plenty of higher up areas where players can run past everyone else fighting below. So far most of the videos I have seen posted have everyone fighting on the ground, not using the class abilities much and playing it like a traditional shooter.

With multiple objectives all around the maps, it looks like players will have these changing hands on a regular basis, which will then dictate the flow of the match. I guess it all boils down to how good each team is. :D

M.W.

I assume playing through the single player missions with 7 other friends will be more enjoyable than just doing them solo.

zlatko

Banned
Marcellus Wallace said:
I assume playing through the single player missions with 7 other friends will be more enjoyable than just doing them solo.

Unless you have awful friends who hate you and make things miserable for you. ;)

Raide

Marcellus Wallace said:

If you have a good group of friends that are willing to play the classes, it will be much more interesting.

Marcellus Wallace said:

I can guarantee you right now that 8 human players will absolutely murder the AI.

Proven

There have been a number of quick reviews and impressions posted. I'll link to a few that sound interesting enough.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1186780-my-impressions-of-brink/

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1186673-my-premature-review/
(there's actually a second review in a post on the bottom of the page)

Edit: Oh, and they have a weapon stat list already up. Is this on the wiki yet? http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1186755-the-easy-to-read-weapon-stat-list/

I wonder why it seems like every person streaming, every person giving reviews, is doing so with the 360 version. Are stores not breaking the street date on the PS3 verison too? :p

Raide

CyReN said:
Will the pre-order packages be available later on or am I stuck with ebay trying to get the Fallout pack?

Nothing is said. Hopefully Brink GAF will be able to get hold of some codes (I am hoping to get hold of the Doom/Spec-Ops codes) and distribute them. I am sure they will be unlocks later or possibly paid DLC.

Top Bottom