• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

weekend_warrior said:
I wonder why it seems like every person streaming, every person giving reviews, is doing so with the 360 version. Are stores not breaking the street date on the PS3 verison too? :p

Many, many people have flashed Xbox 360s and are simply downloading the ISO and burning it to a DVD. I would guess most of these are NOT broken street date retail copies.

CyReN

Raide said:
Nothing is said. Hopefully Brink GAF will be able to get hold of some codes (I am hoping to get hold of the Doom/Spec-Ops codes) and distribute them. I am sure they will be unlocks later or possibly paid DLC.

Nice, I hope so. I'm willing to handout a Psycho Pack once I get a Fallout one. Here's they are btw:

The Psycho - Amazon and Direct2Drive

The "Grin Face" Mask
Tortured Soul Tatoo
Soda Can Silencer and Arktactical Silencer
Caesar Revolver

Spec Ops - Steam And Wal-Mart

"Sloani" Face Mask
Dogtag Tattoo
Greeneye Scope
Hockler Machine Pistol

Fallout Pack - Best Buy

Fallout Bandana and Vault-Tec Beanie Cap
Vault 101 Tattoo
FNV Vault Boy Tee and Vault 101 Tee
Vault 101 and FNV Vault Boy Carb-9 Skins

Doom Pack - GameStop

Doom Bandana and UAC Beanie Cap
Hellspawn Tattoo
UAC Body Armor Tee and Screaming Soul Tee
UAC and "Cacodemo" Bulpdaun SMG Skins

desu

weekend_warrior said:
I wonder why it seems like every person streaming, every person giving reviews, is doing so with the 360 version. Are stores not breaking the street date on the PS3 verison too? :p

No PSN, no PS3 version ;).

RS4-

Dropped by a local mom and pop shop to play for a bit and I don't know, the game gives me a damn headache, slight motion sickness. I was really excited about it but after watching some vids and actually playing it, it's kind of average. I love the style but not the overall game/gun play.

The parkour stuff feels...awkward. I think it's worse than what you'd find in Mirror's Edge. Hopping over ledges is fine, but climbing up walls and such is a different story.

Challenge mode is something you can get through in maybe an hour (no need to do the three star ones unless you care about leaderboard). The weapon unlocks are...well, nothing to really write home about.

I'll check it out again when more people pop online.

Spookie

Reading the reviews a lot of them criticize the graphics. Is BRINK still utilizing the MegaTexture rendering process then? I remember reading that doesn't work very well on the consoles.

Proven

Here's something interesting. Guy's playing as a Heavy, says it's his first time playing, so I'd guess he's visiting his friend and brought his capture card. Or whatever. Maybe he just did the challenges over and over. Maybe I should stop giving the benefit of the doubt. He's playing on hard, and the AI doesn't look to be as bad of a slouch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92HZ_peY33A

Genesis Knight said:
Many, many people have flashed Xbox 360s and are simply downloading the ISO and burning it to a DVD. I would guess most of these are NOT broken street date retail copies.
I'm actually pretty sure a lot of these are legit retail copies. Especially after Marvel vs. Capcom 3. As desu said, it's more likely that they're picking up the 360 over PS3 copy, or PS3 buyers are waiting it out in general, because PSN is down and this is supposed to be a multiplayer focused game with no local play.

Danne-Danger said:
So I guess headshots will kill even mediums with one shot?
Assuming headshots aren't some shitty bonus of 5-10%, it looks like it. Buffs will be important. Each extra pip seems to be worth 20hp.

Edit: Guy says he'll be live streaming at 2pm Pacific, or 5pm Eastern. http://www.livestream.com/onerubberducky

Spookie said:
Reading the reviews a lot of them criticize the graphics. Is BRINK still utilizing the MegaTexture rendering process then? I remember reading that doesn't work very well on the consoles.
It's an id4 engine game, so will be for outside scenes/expanses etc - which it doesn't appear to have many of. Should be remembered that this is not id5 - Rage's use of MegaTextures is totally different to this.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
whatevermort said:
It's an id4 engine game, so will be for outside scenes/expanses etc - which it doesn't appear to have many of. Should be remembered that this is not id5 - Rage's use of MegaTextures is totally different to this.
Megatexturing was a primitive form of so called Virtual Texturing, Brink has its own brand new VT system (as does Rage), Brink has a complete new renderer designed for machine with many cores (like quad core PC, Cell in PS3 or X360).
Essentially VT gives you very high texture resolution, which is brought into memory off disk based on whats visible to the player.
The 360 is the hardest to get VT systems working well out of the big three, as its the only one without a hard disk in every console. Which means the VT system has to be able to cope with out a fast hard drive between optical disk and RAM textures.

demolitio

RoboPlato said:
Is this just a PC download or can you get a console version instead? I'm asking for a friend who works at Target and wants the PS3 version.

Also, can light characters use assault rifles or are they limited to SMGs? I'd love to play a light medic in this but I tend to suck with SMGs in most games.
I believe it's a copy of your choice that's mailed to you, but I wouldn't know since I can't get that far in the registration. I was just putting it up there to help people out that do work at one of those stores.

Unfortunately there's no free copy for me. :p

Detox

DeanoCalver said:
Megatexturing was a primitive form of so called Virtual Texturing, Brink has its own brand new VT system (as does Rage), Brink has a complete new renderer designed for machine with many cores (like quad core PC, Cell in PS3 or X360).
Essentially VT gives you very high texture resolution, which is brought into memory off disk based on whats visible to the player.
The 360 is the hardest to get VT systems working well out of the big three, as its the only one without a hard disk in every console. Which means the VT system has to be able to cope with out a fast hard drive between optical disk and RAM textures.
I think Deano works for SD :O. Dean for the love of god please record a full match with some of your best testers playing and then upload it to youtube.

Proven said:
Assuming headshots aren't some shitty bonus of 5-10%, it looks like it. Buffs will be important. Each extra pip seems to be worth 20hp.
I'd venture a guess that a buffed chest-shot would kill an unbuffed light as well... "Barnetta" wielding light soldier with armour piercing bullets is looking more juicy by the minute! Especially with molotovs/flashbangs to back it up, and those handguns all look pretty nice damage-wise. And you can refill your small supply of ammo whenever you want, in a game with regenerating health, makes for fun sniper conditions IMO!
Detox said:
Dean for the love of god please record a full match with some of your best testers playing and then upload it to youtube.
Yes! We won't tell anyone.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Detox said:
I think Deano works for SD :O. Dean for the love of god please record a full match with some of your best testers playing and then upload it to youtube.
This kind of thing is in Bethseda realm...

Don't ask me i'm merely a mere mortal who understands not the minds of PR and marketing gods!

DeanoCalver said:

Thanks for the clarification. Will a 360 install substantially help load times/popin textures, then?

desu

Detox said:

You should just check his profile ;).

Will there be GAF groups going up for 360 as early as day 1?

If not please send a request or put : Magic Gamertag on that list. I would love to play with as few randoms as possible.

XBL: Magic Gamertag

Its easy to spell and remember.

desu said:
You should just check his profile ;).

Oh shit!

6OOry.png

05-05-05

What are the odds!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anerythristic said:

If not please send a request or put : Magic Gamertag on that list. I would love to play with as few randoms as possible.

XBL: Magic Gamertag

Its easy to spell and remember.

Read the OP.

zlatko

Banned
DeanoCalver said:
This kind of thing is in Bethseda realm...

Don't ask me i'm merely a mere mortal who understands not the minds of PR and marketing gods!

Did you know I've been convinced Brink is going to be Jesus' second coming in pixel form come Tuesday? :)

I've been super excited for this game since the first trailer at the VGA's, and it's my most anticipated game of this year out of everything.

Can you mention if that patch people are downloading right now if they got an early copy is the one you guys had planned for this Tuesday, or will there be a new patch Tuesday for everyone?

Spookie

DeanoCalver said:

I consider my self enlightened. Thanks for the information. :)

Anerythristic said:

There better be! Its starting to look like 360 GAF might be pretty stocked on Medics and OPs, havent seen many say soldier, so I may go that route at first.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
whatevermort said:
Thanks for the clarification. Will a 360 install substantially help load times/popin textures, then?

Day 1 Patch helps ALOT but a 360 install is usually the best option for games which stream stuff off optical disk (I never game without sticking the disc on my 360 HDD or USB stick).

I've installed it on a USB stick personally for the few hours i've managed to play the retail version in the last few days.

Deano, appreciate your comments. Dare I ask for more on the actual differences in the PC version as far as graphics go?

Why is Bethesda not showing the PC version off?

Thanks

Proven

TheApatheticOne said:
There better be! Its starting to look like 360 GAF might be pretty stocked on Medics and OPs, havent seen many say soldier, so I may go that route at first.
I'm personally going to go mixed. Either Soldier/Medic or a smattering of three or four of the classes. I'm finding myself not too picky on what's important past a lot of the general abilities.

Raide

DeanoCalver said:
Day 1 Patch helps ALOT but a 360 install is usually the best option for games which stream stuff off optical disk (I never game without sticking the disc on my 360 HDD or USB stick).

I've installed it on a USB stick personally for the few hours i've managed to play the retail version in the last few days.

Is it possible to confirm if the patch people are already downloading is the actual "Day 1" patch or is that coming on 10th or 13th?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
scorpscarx said:
Deano, appreciate your comments. Dare I ask for more on the actual differences in the PC version as far as graphics go?

Why is Bethesda not showing the PC version off?

Thanks
To be fair, Bethesda hasn't shown off the PC version of a lot of ANYTHING. I'm sure it's just a matter of it being easier to get microsoft to sell them a bunch of xboxes for demoing and it being easier to set up.

DeanoCalver said:

Thanks for the info. And congrats, the game looks phenomenal! Can you give us any tidbits on the engine? Is it using some kind of deferred renderer? The lighting & shadowing & atmosphere are just awesome. It's gorgeous.

Finally, is there any slight advantage to a usb install versus an hd install?

Thanks dude.

DeanoCalver said:

Anything you can tell us about the PS3 version? I'm a lot more interested to hear how it runs on that.

edit: btw, stream is going.

http://www.ngame.tv/bifuteki?e=a3178

desu

derFeef said:
Ohh camera goes 3rd person when planting things? Is this an option or something to unlock?
Finally some heavy!

Isnt that an ability to give you a better perspective on whats going on around you.

Top Bottom