• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

derFeef

abundant said:
Yes, it's one of the Universal abilities.

Sense Of Perspective, it's a rank 1 ability.
Nice, thanks. This map looks great, reminds me of ET a lot with the advancement you have to do.

narwhalSTAB said:
Why does every stream show the same two maps? How many maps are actually in this game?
There are 8 maps to choose from. Container City, Aquarium, Shipyard, Security Tower, Reactor, Refuel, Terminal and Resort.

Proven

narwhalSTAB said:
Why does every stream show the same two maps? How many maps are actually in this game?

Because every stream features players who can't get past the Aquarium, Terminal, and Container City.

Edit: Sorry, not Aquarium. I don't know what that first map is. Shipyard?

Something I'm confused about even after playing for a while is the number of active abilities. Do you get three class-specific ones and then as many Universal ones as you have purchased?

Raide

Need a crazy 2-Fort style map.

Also, anyone else want way more glass dotted around, just so we can SMART dive through it? :D

Raide said:
There seems to be a good amount of options for Custom Matches.
Best news for me is that due to the way SP and drop-in multiplayer works, on PC you can ONLY play player vs. player in custom matches, which tells me you'll still get XP no matter what the settings are. In Quake Wars the "official servers" (specific settings the server needed to store persistent stats) was a huge problem for the pub community, the only thing people would ever play was official servers with official settings. Here you can only play custom, which bodes well for variety and future custom maps as well.

syoaran

bluestuff said:
this person playing the stream is terrible :(

still on the fence with this one tbh

The person playing this is indeed terrible, and such a whiner......

Honestly it looks a little janky, but I've only seen people play as if this was COD rather than play the game like a ME/TF2 hybrid that it is.

clip

SneakyStephan said:
This was like the 10th stream, it looked dull on every single one.
Still blaming it on terrible players are we.

That video from the MLG player looked awesome. Plus, haven't these streams been with bots?

classicdms

Neo Member
SneakyStephan said:
Are they still playing against bots or is multiplayer being played?

bluestuff

SneakyStephan said:
To be fair the streams have had all pretty bad to mediocre players not utilizing the classes or SMART to at the very least the level we have seen from the preview videos. In comparison you could have a terrible person playing CS and to a person who hadn't seen anything else, it would look like a pretty unfun game

sk3tch

I am interested in this game but that stream above was concerning. The enemies look kinda cardboard...really weird. I love class-based/objective FPS though so perhaps I should jump in.

Also, FWIW - It's not $40 at KMart it's $60 and you get a $20 "gaming coupon"...I am sure most of you knew that but I went to see what the deal is about and was disappointed. I don't shop at KMart so that coupon would not be worth much for me.

SneakyStephan said:

That and the fact that it's being played predominantly against bots which I doubt accurately reflects how the game will play out against a full server of humans. It's fairly obvious that all but one of the players had little clue how to play the game effectively and the one who did was boring due to the lackluster bots.

The only thing I'm taking note of from this early footage is the smaller details rather than how it has been playing out.

legbone

CyReN said:
It's now $54.99 at Amazon, comes with $10 gift card and Psycho pack.

thanks for the heads up. i went ahead and grabbed it with this deal. also got release day shipping for 99 cents but i highly doubt they get it to me on tuesday since that is the day after tomorrow. but we will see. doesn't matter if it's a little late. i will only be able to play the single player until psn is back. no biggie though since xp transfers. i will also have a nice knowledge of the maps before jumping online.

Teknoman

Im blaming it on bad playing because I havent seen too many people slide, vault, or climb over anything. Maybe that really doesnt come into play when facing bots, but you really havent seen the game until you see everything mesh together.

Imo its probably like watching someone play Bulletstorm like Call of Duty, or Vanquish like...I dunno...SOCOM.

NIN90 said:
Thanks.
Oh that video, well that shows a lot of akward smart system failure (not the player's fault either), and traight forward no recoil shooting.

Knocking over 2 players in a single slide was neat though.

I'm sorry but any shooter that is going to claim to aim for the competitive community and have deep gameplay and movement etc is going to get compared to the strafe jumping, preservation of momentum , map design, pacing and weapon mechanics of the likes of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfaQJuWGvU#t=04m05s

And it looks really tame in comparison, especially the s.m.a.r.t movement.

Raide said:
Nothing is said. Hopefully Brink GAF will be able to get hold of some codes (I am hoping to get hold of the Doom/Spec-Ops codes) and distribute them. I am sure they will be unlocks later or possibly paid DLC.

I'll contribute a Pyscho pack to the pool if I can get a Doom or Fallout code back :).

Genesis Knight said:
Something I'm confused about even after playing for a while is the number of active abilities. Do you get three class-specific ones and then as many Universal ones as you have purchased?

From what I understand, you can purchase as much as you want, but when you build your character you can only assign three active abilities into the active ability slots. So you need to think very carefully about owning more than three active abilities for a given class because you won't be able to actually use them all at once.

Proven said:
I'm personally going to go mixed. Either Soldier/Medic or a smattering of three or four of the classes. I'm finding myself not too picky on what's important past a lot of the general abilities.

I'm almost always an Engineer in these sorts of games. Of course, I really want to play around with the light body type, and I'm not sure if that really benefits an Engineer all that much. Engies seem to really need to hang back and build defenses from what I can see.

Okay, question time:

1. Do you lose all your buffs when you are downed, or only when you die?
  2. Do engineers get XP for kills or damage from their auto-turrets?
  3. I'm having a hard time finding clarification on this: is 20 the max level? So when you hit Rank 5 you can only choose a single rank 5 skill (assuming you didn't save any points)?
  4. Does a respec always cost a single level? Or does it cost a set amount of XP?
  5. What's the maximum size of the supply/health meter? Can it go as high as it can possibly be buffed (from command posts, buffed command posts, friendly buffs, abilities, etc), or is there a limit before that point?
  6. And is it just me, or does the Operative seem useless? :(

God, I'm so bummed that I'm out of the country all week. By the time I get back, Brink GAF will be at least rank three and nobody will want to play with me and get de-ranked :(

Amir0x

Banned
This game sounds better and better the more I read impressions.

This is like old school pure multiplayer blitzing mixed with a peppering of some new school functionality. I am buzzing here :D

divisionbyzorro said:
From what I understand, you can purchase as much as you want, but when you build your character you can only assign three active abilities into the active ability slots. So you need to think very carefully about owning more than three active abilities for a given class because you won't be able to actually use them all at once.

Okay, question time:

3. I'm having a hard time finding clarification on this: is 20 the max level? So when you hit Rank 5 you can only choose a single rank 5 skill (assuming you didn't save any points)?
  4. Does a respec always cost a single level? Or does it cost a set amount of XP?
  5. What's the maximum size of the supply/health meter? Can it go as high as it can possibly be buffed (from command posts, buffed command posts, friendly buffs, abilities, etc), or is there a limit before that point?
(

Okay, but when I was playing I could highlight ALL my universal abilities and they showed up next to the character... I had like 5 universals and whatever class-specifics selected. Surely not all of those were working...

1) Don't know.
2) Yes, you get XP for damage and kills, shows up as "auto turret". Like 2 XP per bullet I think, maybe 7 can't remember.
3) Don't know.
4) Mine got insanely high at one point. It was like four extra pips. Supply was the same. Those extra pips from buffs don't regen after you use/lose them, while the ones gained from command posts do.
5) Operative is incredibly useful. His EMP grenade stops HE bombs and such dead cold, and he can hack downed enemies' comms for always-on radar. Operatives rock.

Genesis Knight said:
Okay, but when I was playing I could highlight ALL my universal abilities and they showed up next to the character... I had like 5 universals and whatever class-specifics selected. Surely not all of those were working...

No - active abilities. I.e., a soldier can't have a frag, molotov, flashbang, and satchel charge, because he can only assign three of those to the D-pad. Unless I'm wrong...

rac

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
Thanks.
Oh that video, well that shows a lot of akward smart system failure (not the player's fault either), and traight forward no recoil shooting.

Knocking over 2 players in a single slide was neat though.

I'm sorry but any shooter that is going to claim to aim for the competitive community and have deep gameplay and movement etc is going to get compared to the strafe jumping, preservation of momentum , map design, pacing and weapon mechanics of the likes of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfaQJuWGvU#t=04m05s

And it looks really tame in comparison, especially the s.m.a.r.t movement.

We get it. You think the game is dull. You think the smart system is awkward even though the player said he was testing what he could jump with the light body he just unlocked. Sorry the rest of us are more optimistic.

And hey I see you linked quake 3. This game isn't trying to be that and if you want to play that then why not (its free).

Proven

One more from the MLG guy, playing as a light character. He's been practicing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIYwWQ13ANU

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm almost always an Engineer in these sorts of games. Of course, I really want to play around with the light body type, and I'm not sure if that really benefits an Engineer all that much. Engies seem to really need to hang back and build defenses from what I can see.

Okay, question time:

God, I'm so bummed that I'm out of the country all week. By the time I get back, Brink GAF will be at least rank three and nobody will want to play with me and get de-ranked :(

1. Only when you die. A semi-exception comes to health buffs; when you're downed and then revive, it's like starting from one hp, so your health only regenerates up your base health pip. You'll need a Medic to buff you again up to max.

2. Yeah, from the streams it seems to be about 1xp per bullet fired, and if the turret gets the kill you get a small bonus.

3. Don't know. Losing a level would make more sense, or else I'd just respec at the beginning of each level.

4. Yeah, Level 20 is max. If you don't have points saved up, or are unwilling to respec, you can only get one of the five R5 skills.

5. In the Heavy video I posted above, the guy is running with 6 pips when he changes to Medic (one of the Medic abilities gives extra supplies). There looks like space for about two more pips, which I'd assume are filled by Command Post upgrades. As for health buffs, I can't answer for there being a limit, but assuming there are maps with two health Command Posts, and one of the Engie's skills to double a Command Post's effect, you can theoretically get six extra pips of buffs, or an extra 120 health. Otherwise, the max is definitely four extra pips.

6. The Operative isn't useless, but he's close. Notice that in all the videos, when you play with bots and change your class during a general mission, the bots change their classes to achieve a specific type of balance. 3, 2, 2, 1, with the one always being the Operative unless the current mission requires an Operative. The Operative does have one skill I'm looking forward to: Comms Hack.

divisionbyzorro said:
No - active abilities. I.e., a soldier can't have a frag, molotov, flashbang, and satchel charge, because he can only assign three of those to the D-pad. Unless I'm wrong...
You're correct.

Teknoman

Amir0x said:
This game sounds better and better the more I read impressions.

This is like old school pure multiplayer blitzing mixed with a peppering of some new school functionality. I am buzzing here :D

Thats what i'm seeing...especially since the crosshair reminds me of Quake 3 arena. Did Return to Castle Wolfenstein have the circle crosshair too?

Also mucho bad guys spotted = the new all dat juice/sappin my sentry?

SneakyStephan said:
Thanks.

pretty sure the it was due to him being heavy? and yeah they've said its diff for pc vs console recoil

Teknoman

I wonder what the hud is going to look like for the PC version, especially with one side being dedicated to a d-pad.

Btw did Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament (entire series) have visual recoil on any weapon? Its been so long since i've played (even 3), I dont really remember.

Top Bottom