• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

"Btw did Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament (entire series) have visual recoil on any weapon? Its been so long since i've played (even 3), I dont really remember."

None that I can remember on either.

Teknopathetic said:
"Btw did Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament (entire series) have visual recoil on any weapon? Its been so long since i've played (even 3), I dont really remember."

None that I can remember on either.

Pretty sure the railgun and the plasma rifle on Q3 had recoil, took ages to realign the railgun the recoil was so overdone.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Since last year, I have high expectations for this game. The hype is sky-high for me and I won't tolerate disappointment.

"Pretty sure the railgun and the plasma rifle on Q3 had recoil, took ages to realign the railgun the recoil was so overdone."

As I recall, Q3A railgun and plasma has zero recoil on your viewport and thus doesn't affect your aim whatsoever. Unless we're just talking about the animation in which case I'm not sure, I haven't played with weapons visible in awhile.

classicdms

Neo Member
God that video is amazing. That's what we need more of. Not fucking tutorials on how basic mechanics work. I see video compilations of dudes running all over the map completing objectives being a thing that happens post release.

X-Frame

classicdms said:
God that video is amazing. That's what we need more of. Not fucking tutorials on how basic mechanics work. I see video compilations of dudes running all over the map completing objectives being a thing that happens post release.

It's amazing that videos like this haven't been officially released by Beth/SD a month ago.

Zeliard

Teknopathetic said:
"Pretty sure the railgun and the plasma rifle on Q3 had recoil, took ages to realign the railgun the recoil was so overdone."

As I recall, Q3A railgun and plasma has zero recoil on your viewport and thus doesn't affect your aim whatsoever. Unless we're just talking about the animation in which case I'm not sure, I haven't played with weapons visible in awhile.

Yeah, no recoil. What may be the mixup is that the plasma gun and railgun each have their quirks that can make them tough to wield in the hands of some. Plasma has a somewhat slow travel speed over long distances and railgun takes a short moment to reload.

classicdms

Neo Member
You know what I just noticed but also like? The yellow radar directional thing when dudes are shooting at you but don't hit you. That shit seems like it would save lives.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
classicdms said:
You know what I just noticed but also like? The yellow radar directional thing when dudes are shooting at you but don't hit you. That shit seems like it would save lives.

I think that's one of the abilities.

Mik2121

kyo_daikun said:
Pretty sure the railgun and the plasma rifle on Q3 had recoil, took ages to realign the railgun the recoil was so overdone.
You'd be wrong. The Q3 and UT weapons don't have recoil. The animation might look like it does, though. But they don't affect your actual aim.

Sanic

Arg, can't seem to easily order Brink off of D2D. When I try entering either of my phone numbers, I immediately am told to contact customer service. Guess i'll try doing that tomorrow.

Anybody have any experience with them? Can this be resolved quickly?

Bromeliad

Neo Member
Pandoracell said:
Arg, can't seem to easily order Brink off of D2D. When I try entering either of my phone numbers, I immediately am told to contact customer service. Guess i'll try doing that tomorrow.

The few times I've had an issue they've been surprisingly prompt in helping me out for being such a big, impersonal-looking site. They just don't give off the same... warmth is the word, maybe, as Valve does for me usually but their face-to-face support is better than you'd think from their usually lackluster FAQs.

Teknoman

Mik2121 said:
You'd be wrong. The Q3 and UT weapons don't have recoil. The animation might look like it does, though. But they don't affect your actual aim.

So why are people bugging out (not just here, but other forums/comment/video sidebar chats) about recoil? Just being used to the current set of FPS attributes? Or is there something i'm missing (just in case the guns work exactly the same in the PC version)?

Either way, whoo tomorrow night unlock!

abundant

I pretty much figured out how I'm going to level my character. 4 points in Universal, 8 points in Engineer (mainly focusing on turrets, mines, and buffing), then I'm going to split the remaining 8 points in Medic and Soldier. As for Body Type, I'll be switching between Light and Heavy depending on how I want to play.

"So why are people bugging out (not just here, but other forums/comment/video sidebar chats) about recoil? Just being used to the current set of FPS attributes? Or is there something i'm missing (just in case the guns work exactly the same in the PC version)?"

Well it's one thing to note that SneakyStephan complained about the recoil and then talked about how that meant it won't be competitive compared to Q3, a game with no recoil. Herp.

However, everyone else is probably complaining about no recoil because this is using semi-realistic guns and having laser rifles in a more deliberately paced, faux-realistic shooter is kinda silly on KB/M. The lack of recoil in most modern setting FPSs is a direct result of controllers being an assy FPS input device, on PC it just makes the game terrible because you have people essentially full auto sniping you with a machine gun from across the map.

Mrbob

Multi looks intriguing. Ordered a copy form D2D tonight with the sizzle sale. Looking forward to digging into this.

Blizzard

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
...you have people essentially full auto sniping you with a machine gun from across the map.
I have vague memories of this happening in ET:RTCW. As long as you could see a few pixels of enemy soldier, you could headshot them with your SMG! (more than one shot if you were using a silenced rifle :p)

I went ahead and got the game with the sizzle deal thanks to someone pointing the price out to me, but watching a gameplay video really didn't impress me too much. Enemies didn't seem to react at all to being shot (I suppose that's normal and fine), being damaged means HUD red stuff, and health regenerates in a couple of seconds (normal, and the way BC2 does it)...and only 8 maps? BC2 has more. I haven't been following Brink so I don't know if there are plans for paid DLC map packs, or editor support, or what.

"I have vague memories of this happening in ET:RTCW. As long as you could see a few pixels of enemy soldier, you could headshot them with your SMG! (more than one shot if you were using a silenced rifle :p)"

Yes, I don't think there's any recoil in W:ET. Ironically, I believe most ET/QW competitive players actually prefer W:ET as a "competitive" game.

Teknoman said:
So why are people bugging out (not just here, but other forums/comment/video sidebar chats) about recoil?

Because there are 2-3 traditional types of shooters.

*The really fast paced ones with projectile weapons with a travel time (rocket launcher, plasma guns, shock rifle, nade launchers, nail gun, flack cannon , disc gun etc etc) and weapons that require perfect tracking (lightning gun,sniper rifle, machine guns, enforcers etc ) each with their own alt fire specials.

The challenge and depth in these comes from the movement, predicting and tracking enemy movement and eye hand coordination.
Since the movement and gameplay is so fast, maps are generally really big relative to the size of the player models (so your target is tiny most of the time), many of the weapons are projectile weapons and you have loads of vertical gameplay : there would be no point in having recoil in these games.

e.g Games like UT, Tribes , doom, painkiller, quake or even team fortress.

*Slower paced teambased objective games, where the focus is more on the push and pull of a fight for control over an objective area.
These kind of games usually have hitscan weapons (so normal guns).
Because movement is slower paced, you don't get the low gravity or other crazy situations and ammo doesn't have travel time you rely on recoil and spread to make the game more than just point and click.

These kind of games are about team play, map control , push and pull and above all self control.

Games like America's army, cs, DoD, firearms etc or even op:f.

*Battlefield was one of the first to shake things up by bringing sandbox type gameplay with vehicles and turrets (aa guns etc) and most of all conquest mode which is zone control on a large scale.
Battlefield had the vehicle physics, conquest mode, tickets mechanic and class based and later squad based stuff going for it.
They toned down recoil a bit , added in projectile weapons and other mechanics.
The teamplay, scale and sandbox gameplay made it interesting and fresh.
Anyone who ever flew a helicopter in the DC mod will attest to the learning curve provided by the awesome vehicle physics.

Section 8 is the only other game that comes to mind that successfully copied the formula.

If a game doesn't posess the traits from any of these 3 groups,then where does the challenge or depth come from?

Basically, in slower games with smaller maps and hitscan weapons, many people (especially gamers who were around during the shooters of the 90s) tend to ask for recoil
, so that it fits in the first category and offers some sort of challenge beyond chasing objectives, kill death ratios, unlocks or kill streaks.

Challenge and a learning curve beyond simply learning patterns amounts to rewarding and fun gameplay.

Sorry that turned out to be a longer reply than intended.

edit: thanks for pulling my previous post out of context tekno, I was talking about the movement when comparing it to quake 3.
The only complaint about a lack of recoil came from the movement being slow, maps being small and confined and weapons being hitscan high rof.

Derp right back at you.

Teknopathetic said:
"I have vague memories of this happening in ET:RTCW. As long as you could see a few pixels of enemy soldier, you could headshot them with your SMG! (more than one shot if you were using a silenced rifle :p)"

Yes, I don't think there's any recoil in W:ET. Ironically, I believe most ET/QW competitive players actually prefer W:ET as a "competitive" game.

Correct on both counts. ET had no kickback, but the SMGs did have spread, but not a great amount.

Blizzard said:
I have vague memories of this happening in ET:RTCW. As long as you could see a few pixels of enemy soldier, you could headshot them with your SMG! (more than one shot if you were using a silenced rifle :p)

ET had damage fall off. Even though what you say is accurate it would take 6-8 headshots to take someone down over distance with a SMG. Judging by the fact weapons have a range stat in Brink I'd say falloff exists here too.

Mik2121

Teknoman said:
So why are people bugging out (not just here, but other forums/comment/video sidebar chats) about recoil? Just being used to the current set of FPS attributes? Or is there something i'm missing (just in case the guns work exactly the same in the PC version)?

Either way, whoo tomorrow night unlock!
I think it has to do with the fact that these weapons are (pretty much) realistic, and their real counterparts have actual recoil. It also has to do with the fact that everybody is quite used to recoil already, to a certain extent (ie, the recoil used in the COD games).

From what I've seen, the weapons have some recoil so that's fine enough for me. If everybody starts whining, they can add that to a patch (they might not add extra visual recoil, but the sight can expand like it does in many other games).

SneakyStephan said:

That's ridiculous. A game doesn't need to follow some pre-determined "formula" to be fun. If something works, and makes the game fun then go with it. The challenge in Brinks gunplay comes from out maneuvering the other person, getting them into a compromised position where they can't escape before their (relatively) high health depletes. In fact from what I've seen it reminds me of Halo.

Slow speed with high health and high maneuverability. With a large focus on teamwork and classes.

weekend_warrior said:
That's ridiculous. A game doesn't need to follow some pre-determined "formula" to be fun. If something works, and makes the game fun then go with it. The challenge in Brinks gunplay comes from out maneuvering the other person, getting them into a compromised position where they can't escape before their (relatively) high health depletes. In fact from what I've seen it reminds me of Halo.

Slow speed with high health and high maneuverability. With a large focus on teamwork and classes.

It's not a formula, it doesn't have to follow anything.
I gave 3 examples of what makes shooters more than point and click with a weapon skin pasted over the centre of your screen.

If you have both hitscan weaps And no recoil in a game like this (and you aren't handicapped by analog sticks), then it just breaks the game.
(not to mention how shallow the shooting becomes).

My time on writing out a whole paragraph to spell it out is apparently wasted.

Are you seriously comparing this to halo btw?
Halo has the recharging shields as a buffer (with each weapon being better or worse vs either shield or raw health) and the interesting weapons and power ups.

Give everyone a shotty or smg, remove the shields and low gravity and vehicles and it's not halo anymore.

If you want to compare it to anything, compare it to a slower RTCW/cod search and destroy hybrid with a few new tricks like the resource bar and one button climb/jump/walljump/slide.

Mik2121

weekend_warrior said:

Exactly.

This game just cannot be compared to a Call of Duty game because, other than the weapons shooting actual bullets, there's not much else they share. This feels closer to Quake 3 or UT's strafing abilities mixed with realistic looking railguns/ASMD's :p

I wonder if the fact that the weapon I liked the most in MW2 was the ACR (which had almost no recoil) is related to why I like the weapons here to... :D

Pandoracell said:

I had the same issue, opened a ticket and about 10 hours later when I woke up for work I had a response. I was polite but let them know this was my first time usind D2D and their authentication is kind of ridiculous. They disabled the phone call authorization and I was able to order just fine.

SneakyStephan said:
It's not a formula, it doesn't have to follow anything.
I gave 3 examples of what makes shooters more than point and click with a weapon skin pasted over the centre of your screen.

If you have both hitscan weaps And no recoil in a game like this (and you aren't handicapped by analog sticks), then it just breaks the game.
(not to mention how shallow the shooting becomes).

My time on writing out a whole paragraph to spell it out is apparently wasted.

Are you seriously comparing this to halo btw?
Halo has the recharging shields as a buffer (with each weapon being better or worse vs either shield or raw health) and the interesting weapons and power ups.

Give everyone a shotty or smg, remove the shields and low gravity and vehicles and it's not halo anymore.

If you want to compare it to anything, compare it to a slower RTCW/cod search and destroy hybrid with a few new tricks like the resource bar and one button climb/jump/walljump/slide.

That makes no sense. Search and Destroy is a no respawn gamemode, that resulted in a sprint to strategic locations followed by camping. And the developers of Brink specifically said they designed Brink away from the CoD type of low health gameplay. They want people to be able to retreat from combat, which is why I compared Brink to Halo. Halo has recoilless "lazer guns", but plays fine because they're not instant kills gun like CoD.

weekend_warrior said:
That makes no sense. Search and Destroy is a no respawn gamemode, that resulted in a sprint to strategic locations followed by camping. And the developers of Brink specifically said they designed Brink away from the CoD type of low health gameplay. They want people to be able to retreat from combat, which is why I compared Brink to Halo. Halo has recoilless "lazer guns", but plays fine because they're not instant kills gun like CoD.

RTCW - s&d (or plant the bomb if you wish) hybrid.
You are reaching to argue over semantics, I don't know why.

Halo guns are far from recoilless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OilVqh0lhNY
Pistol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHwHfgT9yA
The assault rifle, 40 seconds in, has plenty of recoil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQSC-qkicac
this is what happens when you do have a recoilless gun in a game with slow movement.
The sniper in halo CE on pc was a joke.
I have both the pc and xbox version :)

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So what are y'all predictions metacritic-wise? Not that it matters to our final opinion but it's always good to predict numbers. I like numbers. I'm going with a 80-83

Nocebo

weekend_warrior said:

Do players really have high health in Brink? It kinda seemed like even the heavy body type died in a few shots in that clip with bots on hard. Maybe it's because bots were on hard that they did more damage? But I was honestly surprised how fast the heavy body type went down.

Top Bottom