• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Mr. Snrub said:
So only 16 players for PC confirmed?
No idea, haven't seen anything else stated though, so who knows?
Shoogoo said:
Now that I think of it, the bots in ET:QW were dumb as shit too.
Yup, though they had a more advanced environment with vehicles and deployables, indoor/outdoor etc. plus they used strafejumping! They'd still just stand there and shoot in firefights though, but you wouldn't want to go against an expert/hard bot because above medium they're all about impossible perfect aim headshots. :p

zlatko

Banned
Cyntec said:
Hopefully the embargo ends in a few hours, so I can finally start bashing...

...wait what? If you are going to bash no matter what, then just GTFO and go troll some other thread man. :/

Sanic

Cyntec said:

By bash you mean well written, constructive criticism, all while being as objective as possible, right?

So only 16 players for PC confirmed?

That's the official player count that the game is balanced for, but maybe some config editing will allow that limit to be pushed up. It's unknown at this point.

Cyntec

zlatko said:
...wait what? If you are going to bash no matter what, then just GTFO and go troll some other thread man. :/

It's not bad game, but Homefront wasn't either. Let's say it's not made for everyone.

zlatko

Banned
Cyntec said:
It's not bad game, but Homefront wasn't either. Let's say it's not made for everyone.

Solid English. I actually review games for a site too, and by no means do I consider what I write amazing, but Jesus I'd hate to read anything you write if that sentence is anything to go by.

You can post your impressions of the game if you already played it. There's nothing Splash Damage can do if you want to go ahead and share your thoughts with us, but please be insightful and detailed.

Cyntec

Pandoracell said:
By bash you mean well written, constructive criticism, all while being as objective as possible, right?

That's the official player count that the game is balanced for, but maybe some config editing will allow that limit to be pushed up. It's unknown at this point.

Yup, exactly - at least as far as you can be objective. I myself was pretty hyped on Brink as well, but I got heavy disappointed :-(

mxgt said:
So this is another thread where you can't criticise the game without being asked to leave?

No, it's not. Hell, I've been criticizing it. I just want to know if this guy is a real game journo or just some random guy.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Weenerz said:
Won't see it from leaks until it unlocks from Steam.

:( bah, does it really take that much time releasing some quickly put together footage? Oh well.. Guess there'll be tons of footage tomorrow, I hope >_<

Sanic

Genesis Knight said:
Is this joker a troll or what?

Nah, i've seen him around other threads with his reviews. And i'm almost positive English isn't his native language, so I wouldn't jump on that as an excuse to attack him.

Volcynika

mxgt said:
So this is another thread where you can't criticise the game without being asked to leave?

I'm ok with people detailing their criticism and explaining their points, but when the first thing I see is "I can't wait to bash this game," it's not a good first impression of a poster.

derFeef

mxgt said:
Sure, everyone can criticise and I would say we welcome it because info is so sparse.

But
Cyntec said:
is not an indication of "criticising" I think.

Sanic

@Genesis Knight, i'm sure you've posted them but what are your overall thoughts on the game? Are you enjoying it?

walbertsmith said:
Fair point, but your post (which I replied to) was a response to someone mentioning that reviewers gave the impression they only invested an hour into the multiplayer.

I don't begrudge you for having an opinion on an aspect of a game after an hour, but if you're a professional reviewer and are paid to properly evaluate a product then... properly evaluate that product.
If you need to invest 3 hours into any game SP or MP for it to feel fun and rewarding I would consider that a game design failure. I think that as a reviewer for games the thing you are looking for right off the bat is is this fun or not After an hour it isn't than why waste your time. My final point because this is derailing the thread is that everything wrong about Homefront will be there from the 1st hour of gameplay to the 30th. It has nothing todo with whatever items you unlock at your different levels.

Also I just realized tha I never canceled my preorder so it doesn't really matter the game is coming to me.

Cyntec

zlatko said:
Solid English. I actually review games for a site too, and by no means do I consider what I write amazing, but Jesus I'd hate to read anything you write if that sentence is anything to go by.

You can post your impressions of the game if you already played it. There's nothing Splash Damage can do if you want to go ahead and share your thoughts with us, but please be insightful and detailed.

More maps, modes and a campain with scripted events or any other kind of highlights would be a good point to start. BTW, I'm writing for some print mags, so I won't complain about the game without any reason

taoofjord

What kind of weird ass world do we live in where people will actually complain if a multiplayer game doesn't also have singleplayer mode (and vice versa)?

The fact of the matter is that a game is (and always should be) exactly what the developers/designers want it to be. Why should they add a singleplayer option to it if in the end they have to create something completely different to complement the multiplayer game they really want to make? It takes time and resources away from what their goal is (and often ends in disaster anyway).

Stop acting like brats. Start researching what you're spending your money on before you buy it.

zlatko

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
No, it's not. Hell, I've been criticizing it. I just want to know if this guy is a real game journo or just some random guy.

Same boat here. I'll be the first one to take a big shit all over this game once I get ample time with it to come to that conclusion. I hold nothing back, and so far this thread has had positive and negative outlooks for the game that has been backed up with evidence to support their claims about it.

Nothing is shittier though than someone who can't put their thoughts down in a well written manner so we can see what it is that sucks about the game, and just comes off to be bashing for the sake of bashing.

I hope Cyntec does his reviews in his native language. People take broken English reviews with a grain of salt, and Gaf will be no different.

Cyntec

derFeef said:
Sure, everyone can criticise and I would say we welcome it because info is so sparse.

But is not an indication of "criticising" I think.

Hehe, true. Bashing was a little bit misplaced there. As I said the game isn't that bad. But my expectations were beyond what I actually got in the end.

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
If you need to invest 3 hours into any game SP or MP for it to feel fun and rewarding I would consider that a game design failure. I think that as a reviewer for games the thing you are looking for right off the bat is is this fun or not After an hour it isn't than why waste your time. My final point because this is derailing the thread is that everything wrong about Homefront will be there from the 1st hour of gameplay to the 30th. It has nothing todo with whatever items you unlock at your different levels.

So you're moving the goalposts from 1 hour to 3 hours now. Got it.

And I do agree with you 100% that reviewers need to decide for themselves if the game is fun or not; that's the most important metric. Thing is, you're here setting up an arbitrary "1 hour" or "3 hour" time limit as if anything needed past that to review a game is automatically invalid.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have seen enough quality in the videos to determine I want to buy it. Plus, the sound design alone makes me want to play. Not worried about reviews, especially with games that are pretty much MP only (Chromehounds : Never Forget!)

mjc

The enemy AI seems pretty damn aware in that stream, while your ally AI is dumb as rocks.

Plus this guy isn't very good himself.

derFeef

Cyntec said:
Hehe, true. Bashing was a little bit misplaced there. As I said the game isn't that bad. But my expectations were beyond what I actually got in the end.
If you can answer it - did you play with other humans or just AI?

chris121580

Cyntec said:
Yup, exactly - at least as far as you can be objective. I myself was pretty hyped on Brink as well, but I got heavy disappointed :-(
Heavy disappointed? Yeah...sounds like your writing is something that we should pay close attention to

Weenerz

Banned
Cyntec said:

How are you a game journalist and not know when the embargo ends?

Pandoracell said:
@Genesis Knight, i'm sure you've posted them but what are your overall thoughts on the game? Are you enjoying it?

I think everyone's impressions (including my own) are kind of invalid since no one has played with a full set of human players, AFAIK at least. In short, the bots suck balls big time, end of story. So judging how good the game is just from solo play is really hard to do.

I think it definitely could have used more content - more maps, more guns, more modes. Since it sounds like DLC is a no-go that's a big bummer.

I was disappointed by the lack of variety in the weapons - to me they were all just generic looking automatic weapons with similar properties and definitely similar 'feel' despite what the stats screens say. Also I think it's strange that you can unlock every weapon in the game in pretty much an hour in Challenge Mode, and that Challenge Mode itself is so half-backed with only like a dozen scenarios.

The abilities are awesome. There's a bunch of different ones to get and some are very clever - especially the Operative ones. Killing people with guns is probably the least interesting part of the game - hacking and defusing and buffing is a lot more fun. Customizing your guy is pretty fun, too - Barbies for gamers, but still fun.

In short, it's a cool game. It does a lot of stuff right. It will take some time to learn the maps and use SMART to the max potential, and the feel of Wolf:ET was pretty much there with the objectives and such. I don't think it's very polished, and I don't think it will light any fires in the MP space, but I think the community will be concentrated and dedicated and you will get out of it what you put into it (in other words, be creative and have fun with the freedom of movement and abilities!)

Falagard

Cyntec said:

Did you play with and against full teams of human players?

If not, I don't care what you or any other journalists have to say about the game.

Cyntec

zlatko said:
Same boat here. I'll be the first one to take a big shit all over this game once I get ample time with it to come to that conclusion. I hold nothing back, and so far this thread has had positive and negative outlooks for the game that has been backed up with evidence to support their claims about it.

Nothing is shittier though than someone who can't put their thoughts down in a well written manner so we can see what it is that sucks about the game, and just comes off to be bashing for the sake of bashing.

I hope Cyntec does his reviews in his native language. People take broken English reviews with a grain of salt, and Gaf will be no different.

Sorry if my (broken ? Hopefully not:-() English doesn't compete with native spoken English. But as you figuered out correctly, I'm not English myself :)

deleted

Is there any way to apply the D2D preorder code in the EU? I tried sizzle, but it says the Code won't work with this game - I tried with the us site but it says Brink is region restricted.
Is there any way to get it with 25% promotion?

Edit: I was on the fence of buying it, but the launch trailer and the ET feeling I got from the gameplay videos sold me.

walbertsmith said:
So you're moving the goalposts from 1 hour to 3 hours now. Got it.

And I do agree with you 100% that reviewers need to decide for themselves if the game is fun or not; that's the most important metric. Thing is, you're here setting up an arbitrary "1 hour" or "3 hour" time limit as if anything needed past that to review a game is automatically invalid.
I wasn't the one who said an hour first someone else said it would appear that reviewers only spent an hour in homefronts multiplayer I was just riffing on that tangent. But I see your point. What I'm saying is within that first 'hour' you already know how you feel about a game. in a multiplayer game I don't think you need all that much time to get a handle on what it's all about after a few matches.

Top Bottom